Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,145 members, 7,818,434 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:44 PM

Detained Nigerian Immigrants Paid $1 A Day For Labor In The US. (photo) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Detained Nigerian Immigrants Paid $1 A Day For Labor In The US. (photo) (1619 Views)

Libyan Govt Breaks Into Homes Of Nigerian Immigrants, Dump Them In Prisons(pics) / Which Country Has The Most Nigerian Immigrants / 10 Reasons Nigerian Immigrants Would Enjoy Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Detained Nigerian Immigrants Paid $1 A Day For Labor In The US. (photo) by Highlandgee: 3:26pm On Jun 12, 2022
Goodluck Nwauzor fled Boko Haram militants in Nigeria only to end up cleaning showers for $1 a day while housed at one of the United States’ largest immigrant detention facilities.

Goodluck Nwauzor and other detainees at the Northwest ICE Processing Center were paid a $1 per day regardless of how many hours they worked in various cooking, cleaning, laundry and maintenance roles, if they were paid at all; some detainees were paid with candy or other snacks, according to court records.

Now his testimony has helped convince a federal jury that GEO Group, which runs the Northwest Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Processing Center in Tacoma, Wash., violated the state’s minimum wage laws.

“I feel so great, and I thank almighty God, who made it possible,” Nwauzor told The Washington Post. “I really appreciate the jury’s decision.”

The decision on Friday means Nwauzor and other detainees will receive individual awards ranging from $7 for a single day worked, to more than $30,000 in the instance of a detainee who worked almost 700 days, according to Adam J. Berger of the Seattle-based Schroeter Goldmark & Benderorthat, the law firm representing Nwauzor and the other detainees.

“Before I came to America in 2016, I was a very good business guy,” Nwauzor said. “I left Nigeria because my life was at risk.”
He traveled to Central America and made his way to Mexico before presenting himself at a port of entry in California and was eventually moved to detention center in Tacoma.

There, he signed up for the work program in hopes of earning money to send home, or buy items from the commissary, where everyday necessities tend to be at least twice the cost as in a grocery store.

For part of his eight-month detention, he was tasked with cleaning a “stinking” five-stall shower facility used by 50 to 60 men each day, disinfecting the walls and clearing the drains.

“At the end of the day, I got one dollar,” he said. He was unsure of his options and described those in the program as feeling powerless and like they were treated like “animals” or worse.

He said most of the guards assumed the detainees in custody were criminals.

“My friends said, ‘Goodluck, don’t go, don’t go!’ But I have to do it,” he said of his decision to turn to the court system. “I have to speak up. I can’t stay silent.”

Nwauzor’s attorneys called the jury’s award “precedent-setting,”

Source: https://www.facebook.com/AfrotimesNewspaper/photos/a.119381757440035/126067163438161/

Re: Detained Nigerian Immigrants Paid $1 A Day For Labor In The US. (photo) by Golan007: 3:35pm On Jun 12, 2022
Criminal.

You fled Boko Haram but didn't go back to Anambra, instead you left for Amelica.

Good in business my foot.

1 Like

Re: Detained Nigerian Immigrants Paid $1 A Day For Labor In The US. (photo) by Newphiligeek123: 3:50pm On Jun 12, 2022
Still better than living in the zoo cool
Re: Detained Nigerian Immigrants Paid $1 A Day For Labor In The US. (photo) by Highlandgee: 4:52pm On Jun 12, 2022
Keep abreast of the latest news and happenings in/around the Nigerian community abroad
Read the Afrotimes Newspaper
https://www.facebook.com/AfrotimesNewspaper/

Re: Detained Nigerian Immigrants Paid $1 A Day For Labor In The US. (photo) by Newphiligeek123: 12:14pm On Jun 13, 2022
Highlandgee:
Goodluck Nwauzor fled Boko Haram militants in Nigeria only to end up cleaning showers for $1 a day while housed at one of the United States’ largest immigrant detention facilities.

Goodluck Nwauzor and other detainees at the Northwest ICE Processing Center were paid a $1 per day regardless of how many hours they worked in various cooking, cleaning, laundry and maintenance roles, if they were paid at all; some detainees were paid with candy or other snacks, according to court records.

Now his testimony has helped convince a federal jury that GEO Group, which runs the Northwest Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Processing Center in Tacoma, Wash., violated the state’s minimum wage laws.

“I feel so great, and I thank almighty God, who made it possible,” Nwauzor told The Washington Post. “I really appreciate the jury’s decision.”

The decision on Friday means Nwauzor and other detainees will receive individual awards ranging from $7 for a single day worked, to more than $30,000 in the instance of a detainee who worked almost 700 days, according to Adam J. Berger of the Seattle-based Schroeter Goldmark & Benderorthat, the law firm representing Nwauzor and the other detainees.

“Before I came to America in 2016, I was a very good business guy,” Nwauzor said. “I left Nigeria because my life was at risk.”
He traveled to Central America and made his way to Mexico before presenting himself at a port of entry in California and was eventually moved to detention center in Tacoma.

There, he signed up for the work program in hopes of earning money to send home, or buy items from the commissary, where everyday necessities tend to be at least twice the cost as in a grocery store.

For part of his eight-month detention, he was tasked with cleaning a “stinking” five-stall shower facility used by 50 to 60 men each day, disinfecting the walls and clearing the drains.

“At the end of the day, I got one dollar,” he said. He was unsure of his options and described those in the program as feeling powerless and like they were treated like “animals” or worse.

“My friends said, ‘Goodluck, don’t go, don’t go!’ But I have to do it,” he said of his decision to turn to the court system. “I have to speak up. I can’t stay silent.”

Source: https://www.facebook.com/AfrotimesNewspaper/photos/a.119381757440035/126067163438161/
Re: Detained Nigerian Immigrants Paid $1 A Day For Labor In The US. (photo) by DaniDani(m): 4:08pm On Jun 13, 2022
Is he that nairaland Igbo guy that has scores to settle with both boko haram and security agents, that was crying out here sometime in 2016. I read the post here, please can someone confirm if he's the one?

3 Likes

Re: Detained Nigerian Immigrants Paid $1 A Day For Labor In The US. (photo) by modskiller(m): 4:55am On Jun 14, 2022
Let’s see how this turns out
Re: Detained Nigerian Immigrants Paid $1 A Day For Labor In The US. (photo) by Newphiligeek123: 6:08pm On Jun 14, 2022
DaniDani:
Is he that nairaland Igbo guy that has scores to settle with both boko haram and security agents, that was crying out here sometime in 2016. I read the post here, please can someone confirm if he's the one?

shocked
Re: Detained Nigerian Immigrants Paid $1 A Day For Labor In The US. (photo) by Nobody: 8:58pm On Jun 14, 2022
$1 per day.... cry cry cry cry cry
I dey come...
Re: Detained Nigerian Immigrants Paid $1 A Day For Labor In The US. (photo) by Highlandgee: 12:25pm On Jun 17, 2022
Re: Detained Nigerian Immigrants Paid $1 A Day For Labor In The US. (photo) by 1stGenAmerican(f): 3:49pm On Jun 17, 2022
He is a prisoner who is in the country illegally but is complaining about being paid $1 a day for work? Where else can he earn money while being detained?
Re: Detained Nigerian Immigrants Paid $1 A Day For Labor In The US. (photo) by Highlandgee: 4:13pm On Jun 17, 2022
Keep abreast of the latest news and happenings in/around the Nigerian community abroad
Read the Afrotimes Newspaper
https://www.facebook.com/AfrotimesNewspaper/

Re: Detained Nigerian Immigrants Paid $1 A Day For Labor In The US. (photo) by dochenaj: 5:48pm On Jun 18, 2022
1stGenAmerican:
He is a prisoner who is in the country illegally but is complaining about being paid $1 a day for work? Where else can he earn money while being detained?
Even criminals locked up in jail serving life sentences do have rights and it is unethical to take advantage of them.

So this is not right, and I'm a little disappointed you can justify it.

1 Like

Re: Detained Nigerian Immigrants Paid $1 A Day For Labor In The US. (photo) by ednut1(m): 7:23pm On Jun 18, 2022
When you tell them not to try it . They will tag you hater. Why have northerners not gone to claim asylum abroad despite the boko haram. Nigerian are fond of lying about boko haram, gay and fgm for asylum claims. Unfortunately oyinbo don wise. The guy will end up deported. Smh

2 Likes

Re: Detained Nigerian Immigrants Paid $1 A Day For Labor In The US. (photo) by Highlandgee: 9:51pm On Jun 21, 2022
Highlandgee:

Re: Detained Nigerian Immigrants Paid $1 A Day For Labor In The US. (photo) by CrownOfClay724: 7:09am On Jun 24, 2022
Look before you leap.

Cos you fit no land well.
Re: Detained Nigerian Immigrants Paid $1 A Day For Labor In The US. (photo) by ibechris(m): 11:15am On Jun 24, 2022
Golan007:
Criminal.

You fled Boko Haram but didn't go back to Anambra, instead you left for Amelica.

Good in business my foot.

At least he is a risk taker...which one u take?

No where is safe in Nigeria.
Re: Detained Nigerian Immigrants Paid $1 A Day For Labor In The US. (photo) by Highlandgee: 7:19pm On Jun 28, 2022

(1) (Reply)

U Can Live Yankee Life In Abuja/aswell Make Good Money From Ur Investment / Student Travel With Isic (international Student Identity Card) / Is A Transit Visa Needed Enroute Usa To Canada: ? Pls Help Dear Nairalanders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.