Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,957 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:45 AM

Coma: What Goes On In Your Mind - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Coma: What Goes On In Your Mind (412 Views)

Mechanic Slips Into Coma A Day After His Wedding, Dies 6 Days Later (Photo) / After Month-Long Coma, Woman Dies From Cheap Nose Job In Mexico (Photos) / Workers Resuscitate CMD After Psychiatric Patient Beats Him To A Coma (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Coma: What Goes On In Your Mind by Trajan(m): 10:35pm On Jun 12, 2022
We probably all know being in coma is being in an unconcious state. It may occur due to severe trauma to the brain or it may be medically induced. A famous example is F1 legend, Michael Schumacher who was induced into coma in 2013 due to his serious injuries after a skiing accident.

What I didn't know was sometimes such people have strange experiences including dreams or even visions! After watching a movie where an accident victim in coma 'started' a whole new life with new people and even started a business, I decided to research online and found information about some people 'experiencing' things that never happened physically. The longest time a person has ever been in coma is 37 years.

Have you ever been in a coma before or know someone who has?
Do you mind sharing your/their experience?
Not much seems to be known about what the mind does during this time.
Let's share so we can all learn.
Re: Coma: What Goes On In Your Mind by pharmagba: 11:47pm On Jun 12, 2022
I have fainted like four times that I can remember, I think I was unconscious for few minutes.
I can recall event as I was going and as I was returning back but I don't seen to remember if there is any activity in-between.
Moment before going I feel as if I want to vomit then I lose control of all my senses the last being sense of sight
When coming back it's my sense of hearing that comes alive first. Infact on one of such occasion it seems as if I was running from afar back into my body. Noises around me seems it's from afar and I was moving close to the noise. It was a strange experience

1 Like

Re: Coma: What Goes On In Your Mind by threegees(f): 4:30am On Jun 13, 2022
When I was in coma, I was brain dead.
Know nothing, remember nothing, imagine nothing, see nothing, as in BRAIN DEAD!

When I got back to subconsciousness and tried opening my eyes, it was still hazy. Got almost full consciousness after about 24 hours from subconsciousness. It was a process.

It made me imagine what death was like. Dead people, to the best of my knowledge and from experience, know nothing.

3 Likes

Re: Coma: What Goes On In Your Mind by Trajan(m): 8:08am On Jun 13, 2022
pharmagba:
I have fainted like four times that I can remember, I think I was unconscious for few minutes.
I can recall event as I was going and as I was returning back but I don't seen to remember if there is any activity in-between.
Moment before going I feel as if I want to vomit then I lose control of all my senses the last being sense of sight
When coming back it's my sense of hearing that comes alive first. Infact on one of such occasion it seems as if I was running from afar back into my body. Noises around me seems it's from afar and I was moving close to the noise. It was a strange experience
Wow, thank you for sharing your experience.
Re: Coma: What Goes On In Your Mind by Trajan(m): 8:14am On Jun 13, 2022
threegees:

When I got back to subconsciousness and tried opening my eyes, it was still hazy. Got almost full consciousness after about 24 hours from subconsciousness. It was a process.

It made me imagine what death was like. Dead people, to the best of my knowledge and from experience, know nothing.
OMG! Your being alive must be a miracle!! Brain dead people are legally dead as their brains are just that: DEAD...the state of coma is a state of mininal functioning of the brain which puts the body in a sleeplike, unconscious state.

1 Like

Re: Coma: What Goes On In Your Mind by threegees(f): 10:48am On Jun 13, 2022
Trajan:

OMG! Your being alive must be a miracle!! Brain dead people are legally dead as their brains are just that: DEAD...the state of coma is a state of mininal functioning of the brain which puts the body in a sleeplike, unconscious state.
You get it. It took me approximately 4 days to understand my environment (where I was), know my family members, it's a whole lot please.

1 Like

Re: Coma: What Goes On In Your Mind by Carcholce: 11:24am On Jun 13, 2022
threegees:

I think I agree with you about the dead not being aware of its state. It seems to experience consciousness, one must be in flesh and alive! Meaning if the body dies, sense of consciousness will cease to exist just like in the beginning when consciousness came into being from nothing.

Or perhaps one must totally be dead to experience afterlife. Meaning if you are in coma and not completely dead! You cannot fully experience consciousness of the afterlife. For example, one must be born to experience life, and one must be dead to experience consciousness of afterlife.

3 Likes

Re: Coma: What Goes On In Your Mind by Trajan(m): 11:46am On Jun 13, 2022
threegees:

You get it. It took me approximately 4 days to understand my environment (where I was), know my family members, it's a whole lot please.
That's indeed quite incredible!
It's certainly not everyone that experiences these dreams or nightmares as your case seems to suggest.
Re: Coma: What Goes On In Your Mind by Trajan(m): 11:58am On Jun 13, 2022
Carcholce:

I think I agree with you about the dead not being aware of its state. It seems to experience consciousness, one must be in flesh and alive! Meaning if the body dies, sense of consciousness will cease to exist just like in the beginning when consciousness came into being from nothing.

Or perhaps one must totally be dead to experience afterlife. Meaning if you are in coma and not completely dead! You cannot fully experience consciousness of the afterlife. For example, one must be born to experience life, and one must be dead to experience consciousness of afterlife.
Very good inputs Carchoice. Being in coma is somewhere in between...to think people can be alive in this state for several months, even years without experiencing consciousness, as you put it; here or in the afterlife!
Re: Coma: What Goes On In Your Mind by Vickho: 12:01pm On Feb 28, 2023
threegees:

please can you share with us what situation put you in a coma?

1 Like

Re: Coma: What Goes On In Your Mind by threegees(f): 1:19pm On Feb 28, 2023
Vickho:
please can you share with us what situation put you in a coma?
Preeclampsia that was not detected on time.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Is Consuming Raw Milk Good For You Or Not / If You Eat 2 Banana Per Day, This Is What That Will Happen To Your Body / How Did Nigeria Mothers Discover This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.