Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,425 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:22 AM

Ekiti Governorship Election 2022 Debate: 6 Candidates Battle It Out - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ekiti Governorship Election 2022 Debate: 6 Candidates Battle It Out (13257 Views)

INEC Declares PDP's Adeleke Winner Of Osun Governorship Election 2022 / Osun Governorship Election 2022 Results (Live Updates) / Osun Election 2022: Police Intercept Thugs With Locally Made Guns And Charms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ekiti Governorship Election 2022 Debate: 6 Candidates Battle It Out by naptu2: 1:51pm On Jun 13, 2022
Ekiti 2022: Six candidates square up in governorship debate

The Ekiti governorship election holds on July 19 and 16 candidates will be on the ballot.

By Olasunkanmi Akinlotan June 13, 2022

Six governorship candidates in the race to succeed Governor Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti State came face to face in a debate about their plans and policies if elected into office.

The Ekiti governorship election holds on July 19 and 16 candidates will be on the ballot.

The candidates who participated in Sunday’s debate are: Oluwole Oluyede of the African Democratic Congress (ADC); Kemi Elebute Halle of the Action Democratic Party (ADP); Biodun Oyebanji of the All Progressives Congress (APC); Olabisi Kolawole of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP); former Governor Segun Oni, Social Democratic Party (SDP) and Ranti Ajayi from the Young Progressives Party (YPP).

Segun Oni – SDP

Mr Oni promised to focus his attention on job creation.

He said he will create 100,000 jobs in his first year in office if returned as governor of the state.

“In our first year, we must create at least 100,000 jobs. We will go into livestock and fisheries where we know there is a ready market,” he said.

Mr Oni said livestock and fisheries “can take in so much.”

“We had a fishery programme when I was governor before and it succeeded so much. For every entrepreneur we graduate, it is a minimum of five jobs for people who will work with them.”

Debo Ajayi – YPP

The candidate of the Young Progressives Party (YPP), Debo Ajayi, emphasized wealth creation.

When asked on how to achieve this feat, Mr Ajayi said having served as a former commissioner for budget, he understands the finances of Ekiti and the knowledge will be put to use.

“We will do everything possible to make our private sector vibrant and prosperous, so that tax revenue will increase.

“Bringing in investors as an actuary, as a global person, I have the capacity and profile to attract investors to Ekiti,” the ex-commissioner for Budget & Economic Planning said.

Speaking on how prompt payment of pension and gratuity will be ensured, Mr Ajayi said, “I am an Actuary. We actuaries, our expertise is in pension and I am the only one qualified professionally with education background and experience to deal with pension problems in Ekiti State.

“So the pensioners will do well with me as governor in Ekiti.”

Kemi Elebute-Halle – ADP

The African Democratic Party candidate, Kemi Elebute-Halle, said she will prioritise security if elected governor of the state.

The sole female candidate in the election, Mrs Elebute-Halle, joined the debate after it had started.

“A supposedly protective officer detonated an explosive and this got over 100 people wounded. So I went to the hospital today and that was why I came late to this place.

“As governor, I have on my agenda to tackle security headlong.

“In our plan, we will tackle security by engaging the youths and sensitizing our security personnel.”

Bisi Kolawole – PDP

The candidate of the PDP, Bisi Kolawole, who was confronted with allegation that he might be a stooge, due to his alliance with the former governor of the state, Ayodele Fayose, said he has always been an independent-minded person.

He added that, “If seeking advice from experienced people makes you a stooge, then let it be.”

Wole Oluyede – ADC

Also, the candidate of the ADC, Wole Oluyede, said he is in the contest to correct many wrongs in the state.

Mr Oluyede, a medical doctor, expressed worries on the economic situation of the state, particularly in the health sector.

“I am worried that the economy of Ekiti is really not going the way it should go. People are complaining, the health sector is not well, there is no productive economy, some salaries are owed, pensioners have not been paid.

“As a people, we are not catching up in our educational programme.

“All these needs to be addressed. We must draw investors to Ekiti, that is why we are here. This is my personal interest because if we didn’t do that we will not be independent of the federal allocation.”

Biodun Oyebanji – APC

The flagbearer of the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, Biodun Oyebanji, who also joined late, said his experience both as the immediate past secretary to the state government and former commissioner for budget and economic planning will help him achieve speedy success if elected governor.

He said he is poised toward achieving a “development enterprise.”

When accused of violence, Mr Oyebanji said “Violence will not add anything, we are very much committed to a free and fair electoral process and shall abide by the electoral act and the law.”

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/536696-ekiti-2022-six-candidates-square-up-in-governorship-debate.html

Full video of the debate (click "Watch on YouTube" in order to view it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKg8bWUIP_8

Re: Ekiti Governorship Election 2022 Debate: 6 Candidates Battle It Out by Ay77(m): 2:14pm On Jun 13, 2022
FTC in over 5 years .. sad shocked

2 Likes

Re: Ekiti Governorship Election 2022 Debate: 6 Candidates Battle It Out by CilicMarin: 2:15pm On Jun 13, 2022
Walk over for APC

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ekiti Governorship Election 2022 Debate: 6 Candidates Battle It Out by INTEGRITYA1(m): 2:15pm On Jun 13, 2022
The debate was superb.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ekiti Governorship Election 2022 Debate: 6 Candidates Battle It Out by jkpbestseries: 2:17pm On Jun 13, 2022
i wish one of the aspirants Songs of Solomon
Re: Ekiti Governorship Election 2022 Debate: 6 Candidates Battle It Out by Josephkabila12: 2:17pm On Jun 13, 2022
That's nice
Re: Ekiti Governorship Election 2022 Debate: 6 Candidates Battle It Out by debanj326: 2:18pm On Jun 13, 2022
Debate is for weak aspirants. Political structure, money and ruling power is what you need to win election in this country where nobody cares about your agenda, development strategy and mission.

"Dibo ko SE obe"
Re: Ekiti Governorship Election 2022 Debate: 6 Candidates Battle It Out by Bomboiy: 2:18pm On Jun 13, 2022
Debate is integral in electoral processes.

I trust my Okwute to represent us well when it comes to that.

Can Tinubu/Atiku represent you well? Think about it.

Atiku didn't attend that last one and Tinubu has the thinking capacity of a 5year old.

4 Likes

Re: Ekiti Governorship Election 2022 Debate: 6 Candidates Battle It Out by SultanOfAbia: 2:19pm On Jun 13, 2022
Ok
Re: Ekiti Governorship Election 2022 Debate: 6 Candidates Battle It Out by habiham: 2:19pm On Jun 13, 2022
Oluyede is the best man for the job

1 Like

Re: Ekiti Governorship Election 2022 Debate: 6 Candidates Battle It Out by AminuRano87(m): 2:19pm On Jun 13, 2022
It is June 18, not July 19. OP

1 Like

Re: Ekiti Governorship Election 2022 Debate: 6 Candidates Battle It Out by Chivy007: 2:19pm On Jun 13, 2022
All of them Na wash
Re: Ekiti Governorship Election 2022 Debate: 6 Candidates Battle It Out by cosmatika(m): 2:19pm On Jun 13, 2022
I wish them all the best in their quest.

My own is PETER OBI FOR PRESIDENT.
We need someone that can help us cut down on the cost of governance at this critical stage and channel the money towards critical infrastructure.

If Tinubu wins, he will enthrone his cronies, Alphabeta will take over FIRS.

If Atiku wins, people like Dino Melaye and Reno Omokri will return and continue looting from where they stopped.

Fellow Nigerians, let's get it right for once please

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ekiti Governorship Election 2022 Debate: 6 Candidates Battle It Out by Unperturbed2022: 2:20pm On Jun 13, 2022
At the end, they won't do as said. I don't know who swear for us.
Re: Ekiti Governorship Election 2022 Debate: 6 Candidates Battle It Out by Okwyjesus(m): 2:25pm On Jun 13, 2022
YPP man caught my attention.....

That woman try Sha

Former governor should retire in peace. He don't have much to offer.

APC guy is Tinubu's tainee- IT IS MY TURN MENTALITY.

PDP guy is no doubt Fayose's boy. He will be serving two masters if given a chance.

ADC guy started not too balanced but ended well.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ekiti Governorship Election 2022 Debate: 6 Candidates Battle It Out by whippersnapper(m): 2:26pm On Jun 13, 2022
Oyebanji will still win come January 18
Re: Ekiti Governorship Election 2022 Debate: 6 Candidates Battle It Out by Lorechino(m): 2:26pm On Jun 13, 2022
As them d battle am, Make them no wound oooo

Re: Ekiti Governorship Election 2022 Debate: 6 Candidates Battle It Out by clockwisereport: 2:26pm On Jun 13, 2022
Dem do am yesterday
Re: Ekiti Governorship Election 2022 Debate: 6 Candidates Battle It Out by chukwuibuipob: 2:27pm On Jun 13, 2022
sad
Re: Ekiti Governorship Election 2022 Debate: 6 Candidates Battle It Out by akanbiaa(m): 2:28pm On Jun 13, 2022
Hmmm
Re: Ekiti Governorship Election 2022 Debate: 6 Candidates Battle It Out by Enumerator(m): 2:29pm On Jun 13, 2022

Re: Ekiti Governorship Election 2022 Debate: 6 Candidates Battle It Out by chukwuibuipob: 2:30pm On Jun 13, 2022
sad dnt vote any idiots that promised job creation
Re: Ekiti Governorship Election 2022 Debate: 6 Candidates Battle It Out by Ademola47(m): 2:33pm On Jun 13, 2022
Funnily enough, some of them are just in the race to answer "former governorship aspirant" title...

Meanwhile OP, has the election schedule been adjusted? Because going by INEC timetable, it will hold June 18th against July 19th you posted.

1 Like

Re: Ekiti Governorship Election 2022 Debate: 6 Candidates Battle It Out by dhiqson(m): 2:34pm On Jun 13, 2022
July 19?? Or june 18
Re: Ekiti Governorship Election 2022 Debate: 6 Candidates Battle It Out by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jun 13, 2022
The most underdeveloped state in South-west.... Mtchewwwwwww

2 Likes

Re: Ekiti Governorship Election 2022 Debate: 6 Candidates Battle It Out by Tareq1105: 2:41pm On Jun 13, 2022
It's between APC and SDP.

2 Likes

Re: Ekiti Governorship Election 2022 Debate: 6 Candidates Battle It Out by baconline(m): 2:50pm On Jun 13, 2022
Leebliss13:
ADC is a strong contender there
Re: Ekiti Governorship Election 2022 Debate: 6 Candidates Battle It Out by tayewomi(m): 2:51pm On Jun 13, 2022
Leebliss13:
I own you two fish jare!!i was living in ado,very under-develope and poor State electing quacks and morons as governors

1 Like

Re: Ekiti Governorship Election 2022 Debate: 6 Candidates Battle It Out by emsco(m): 2:56pm On Jun 13, 2022
This useless former governor Segun Oni again.This man that failed Ekiti people

(1) (2) (Reply)

Otedola Pays AMCON Debt.. / Saraki Denies Joining PDP, Says Report Is Junk Journalism(photo) / Amnesty For Looters Underway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.