Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,483 members, 7,954,865 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 11:10 AM

African Senior Athletics Championship: How we fared in Mauritius - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / African Senior Athletics Championship: How we fared in Mauritius (12491 Views)

World Para Powerlifting African Championships 2022: How we fared in Cairo / How Nigerian Players Fared In European Leagues Last Weekend / How Nigerian Players Fared In European Football Last Weekend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

African Senior Athletics Championship: How we fared in Mauritius by fergie001: 7:47pm On Jun 13, 2022
Here is to celebrate our athletes who against all odds, represent Motherlan' in Continental and International Championships.

The African Senior Athletics Championships is a continental event organized by the Confederation of African Athletics (CAA), the continental association for the sport in Africa. Since its inaugural edition in 1979 it was at first organised intermittently with nine editions held in fourteen years until 1993. Following the tenth edition in 1996 it has been organised biennially on even years, and is always held in the same year as the Summer Olympics. The 21st edition was held at the Stephen Keshi Stadium in Asaba, Nigeria in August 2018 and the tournament billed to host in Algiers in 2020was postponed in due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Nigeria is the most decorated nation in the history of the Championships with 155 gold, 122 Silver and 91 bronze medals respectively; closely followed by Kenya (144 gold, 129 silver, 109 bronze medals), all from 1979-2018.

The 2022 edition took place at the Cote d’Or National Sports Complex, Saint Pierre in Mauritius took place from 8-12 June. Kenya, like in Asaba 4 years ago, was first on the medals table across 45 events.

Nigeria placed third with 5 gold, 3 silver and 3 bronze medals respectively with South Africa finishing second overall.

Team Nigeria men and women 4x400m have clinched the bronze medal at Africa Senior Athletics Championship.

4x400m relay: The quartet of Johnson Nnamani, Chidi Okezie, Adeyemi Sikiru and Emmanuel Ojeli reached the finish line in a time of 3:07.05 to finish behind second placed Zambia (3:05.53) and first placed Botswana (3:04.27).

4x400m relay: In women's final, Deborah Oke, Queen Usunobun, Ella Onojuvwewo and Patience Okon George completed the relay in a time of 3:36:24 behind second placed Kenya (3:35.55) and first placed South Africa (3:29.34).

7 Likes

Re: African Senior Athletics Championship: How we fared in Mauritius by fergie001: 7:47pm On Jun 13, 2022
Oluwatobiloba Ayomide Amusan (born January 23, 1997) won Nigeria's first medal (Gold) of the Competition as she overcame wet and windy conditions to clock 12.51 seconds at the 22nd edition of the African Athletics Championships, Cote d'Or National Sports Complex, St Pierre in Mauritius.

BACKGROUND

Tobi Amusan (as she is fondly called) broke through the scenes at the African Youth Athletics Championships in 2013, clinching the silver medal behind compatriot, Adewunmi Deborah Adewale, in the 200 metres at the Warri Township Stadium. She has never looked back since then;

Won Gold at the African Junior Athletics Championships in the 100m hurdles at Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. (2015)

Won Gold in the 100 metres hurdles at the 2015 All-African Games in Brazzaville and also defending the title at the same event, 4 years later in Rabat, Morocco.

Won Gold at the 2018 Edition of the African Athletics Championships in Asaba, in her specialty, 100m hurdles. She was also part of the quartet (Joy Udo-Gabriel, Blessing Okagbare & Rosemary Chukwuma) in the 4x100m relay who also won Gold in the same competition

Tobi also won Gold in the 100m hurdles at the 2018 Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast, Australia and was also part of the quartet (Joy Udo-Gabriel, Blessing Okagbare & Rosemary Chukwuma) that made up the medals table, clinching Bronze at the 4x100m relay.

She narrowly missed the medals table at the 100m hurdles in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics last year. Bouncing back from her Tokyo Olympics miss, She set an African Record, eclipsing Gloria Alozie's 1998 record of 12.44 seconds record held in Monaco. This she did at the biggest of stages, the final of the 2021 Diamond League setting a new 12.42 seconds and winning the trophy in Zurich, Switzerland.

Her interview just after the event!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkZWqbefWu0

4 Likes

Re: African Senior Athletics Championship: How we fared in Mauritius by fergie001: 7:50pm On Jun 13, 2022
Nigeria's Chukwuebuka Cornnell Enekwechi (born January 28, 1993) won his second consecutive African title with a performance of 21.20m, breaking the African championships record he had set 4 years ago in Asaba (21.08m). in a very high quality podium with the top 3 athletes all above 20 metres

1. Chukwuebuka Enekwechi NGR 21.20m
2. Kyle Blignaut RSA 20.60m
3. Mohamed Magdy EGY 20.33m
4. Dotun Ogundeji NGR 19.11m
5. Bernard Baptiste MRI 17.66m
6. Cian de Villiers RSA 17.20m
7. Sié Fahige Kambou BUR 14.41m

BACKGROUND
Cornnell won silver at the 2018 Commonwealth Games in the Gold Coast, Australia and also won Gold at the 2019 All-Africa Games in Rabat, Morocco. He is the defending Champion in the African Athletics Championships.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKTtNTfytIs

1 Like

Re: African Senior Athletics Championship: How we fared in Mauritius by ghettokid1(m): 8:12pm On Jun 13, 2022
Re: African Senior Athletics Championship: How we fared in Mauritius by fergie001: 9:05pm On Jun 13, 2022
Chioma Chukwujindu Onyekwere (June 28, 1994) is the National Record Holder and claimed Gold with a throw of 58.19metres at the Discus throw.

BACKGROUND

Onyekwere clinched Bronze at both the shotput and discus throw events at the African Championships in 2016 at Durban. She won Gold at the 2018 African Championships at Asaba and the 2019 All-African Games in Rabat, Morocco at her specialty, the discus throw.

Onyekwere set an African Record in Rabat throwing 59.91metres and also setting a National Record of 63.30m in June 2021.

Onyekwere was one of 10 Nigerian athletes disqualified by the Athletics Integrity Unit at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics over failure to conduct the mandatory three out-of-competition tests before the Olympics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpFlI75cYgU

Obiageri Pamela Amechi (March 12, 1999) won Bronze at the Discus event, throwing 54.15 metres. This is her first International outing for Nigeria.

She switched allegiance from the United States in July 2019.

Her interview after the event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1pmbpYSaUM

1 Like

Re: African Senior Athletics Championship: How we fared in Mauritius by fergie001: 9:07pm On Jun 13, 2022
Oyesade Olatoye (born January 25, 1997) made history at the 22nd African Athletics Championship in Port Louis, Mauritius when she became the first Nigerian woman to win the gold medal in the hammer throw.

The 25 year old threw the gold winning mark on her third attempt after failing to hit the 60m mark in her first two tries.
She threw 57.78m in her first attempt which pushed to third in the ranking behind Algeria’s Bouzebra Zouina who opened with 59.86m and Egypt’s Barakat Rawan (58.98).

The Egyptian who came to the championship with the best mark became the first athlete to hit the 60m after she threw 60.36m in the second round.

Olatoye then took charge of proceedings from the third round when she threw 63.67m to jump to the gold medal position.

The Algerian, Zouina responded with 63.48 in the fourth round but it didn’t ruffle any feather before the Nigerian closed out the competition with another huge throw of 63.64m which was good enough to even win the gold.

Olatoye holds the Nigerian record of 69.89m set in May last year. She switched allegiance from the United States on September 16, 2019.

4 Likes

Re: African Senior Athletics Championship: How we fared in Mauritius by fergie001: 9:11pm On Jun 13, 2022
Big Brother Naija star, Mike Edwards (born July 11, 1990) won silver at the men's high jump becoming the first Nigerian since National Record holder, Anthony Idiata in1996 to win a medal at the African Championships. Edwards cleared 2.15 metres.

BACKGROUND
Edwards narrowly missed the medals table, finishing fourth at the same Competition four years ago in Asaba, Nigeria. He switched allegiance from the Great Britain in 2018.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADU11UJUCww

From plane to podium

Temitope Adeshina won Silver at the women's high jump event clearing 1.79 metres. She lost to reigning Africa Champion, Ghana's Rose Yeboah.

Adeshina won Silver and Gold at the 2018 Abuja and 2021 Edo National Sports Festivals respectively. This will be Adeshina's first outing for Nigeria in an International competition.

Her first interview after the event;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avrqvcy7fvE

1 Like

Re: African Senior Athletics Championship: How we fared in Mauritius by fergie001: 9:14pm On Jun 13, 2022
The quartet of Tima Godbless, Praise Ofoku, Praise Idamadudu and Tobi Amusan won GOLD in 4x100m women's relay with a time of 44.45s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqB-FmmaOWg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9Fmcb1kSc4

The quartet of Ojeli, Onojuvwewo, Ayo Adeola and Okon-George raced to a Season’s Best (SB) of 3:22.38 to win Silver in 4x100m mixed relay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQbY0SY4B58

1 Like

Re: African Senior Athletics Championship: How we fared in Mauritius by fergie001: 9:21pm On Jun 13, 2022
We also celebrate those who narrowly missed out. They will do better next time, for sure.

Chidi Okezie & Tima Godbless were two of 10 Nigerian athletes disqualified by the Athletics Integrity Unit at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics over failure to conduct the mandatory three out-of-competition tests before the Olympics.

2 Likes

Re: African Senior Athletics Championship: How we fared in Mauritius by dfrost: 9:27pm On Jun 13, 2022
These guys bring a lot of energy. Wow! Congratulations to them. Cornnell bad guy, Edwards nice one, Olatoye (fine babe with grit).

6 Likes

Re: African Senior Athletics Championship: How we fared in Mauritius by fergie001: 9:45pm On Jun 13, 2022
dfrost:
These guys bring a lot of energy. Wow! Congratulations to them. Cornnell bad guy, Edwards nice one, Olatoye (fine babe with grit).
Yea, Congrats to them all.... focus on Amusan, leave Olatoye for me. Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: African Senior Athletics Championship: How we fared in Mauritius by dfrost: 9:57pm On Jun 13, 2022
fergie001:

Yea, Congrats to them all.... focus on Amusan, leave Olatoye for me. Thanks.

fergie baba, I gat lots of massive respect and luv for you my chair, but that Olatoye own go hard ooh. Amusa bawo? shocked . I need call back up? Kyase, Angelfrost I need una help abeg sad embarassed cry

2 Likes

Re: African Senior Athletics Championship: How we fared in Mauritius by Kyase(m): 10:10pm On Jun 13, 2022
dfrost:

fergie baba, I gat lots of massive respect and luv for you my chair, but that Olatoye own go hard ooh. Amusa bawo? shocked . I need call back up? Kyase, Angelfrost I need una help abeg sad embarassed cry
You wan set me up with my oga abi
You want make dem court marshal me abi

2 Likes

Re: African Senior Athletics Championship: How we fared in Mauritius by dfrost: 10:11pm On Jun 13, 2022
Kyase:

You wan set me up with my oga abi
You want make dem court marshal me abi

Go check that babe picture wink

1 Like

Re: African Senior Athletics Championship: How we fared in Mauritius by Kyase(m): 10:12pm On Jun 13, 2022
dfrost:

Go check that babe picture wink
Me I don aleqdy see future mrs kyase

2 Likes

Re: African Senior Athletics Championship: How we fared in Mauritius by Kyase(m): 10:14pm On Jun 13, 2022
Fergie001 how far this one
Dfrost make una help me beg am

1 Like

Re: African Senior Athletics Championship: How we fared in Mauritius by Angelfrost(m): 11:14pm On Jun 13, 2022
dfrost:

Erm... I will sit this one out!

Currently concerned that the Peacocks have not even entered the transfer market yet! undecided cry

1 Like

Re: African Senior Athletics Championship: How we fared in Mauritius by dfrost: 11:16pm On Jun 13, 2022
Kyase:
Fergie001 how far this one
Dfrost make una help me beg am

Make brain... Baba fergie give our man control digits abeg cheesy.

1 Like

Re: African Senior Athletics Championship: How we fared in Mauritius by dfrost: 11:18pm On Jun 13, 2022
Angelfrost:

Currently concerned that the Peacocks have not even entered the transfer market yet! undecided cry

cheesy grin money no dey cheesy
Re: African Senior Athletics Championship: How we fared in Mauritius by Kyase(m): 11:33pm On Jun 13, 2022
Angelfrost:

Una get money grin
Re: African Senior Athletics Championship: How we fared in Mauritius by Kyase(m): 11:34pm On Jun 13, 2022
dfrost:

Make brain... Baba fergie give our man control digits abeg cheesy.
Thank you
Re: African Senior Athletics Championship: How we fared in Mauritius by Bukkie233(m): 9:14am On Jun 14, 2022
Hmmm
Re: African Senior Athletics Championship: How we fared in Mauritius by Elderllyoungman: 9:15am On Jun 14, 2022
need partners and investors in our lucrative charcoal business and we also have hundreds of acre of farmland for mechanized maize and cassava farming with a view to maximize profit by expanding the current scope of the business venture.
location is kwara state.
Pls check my profile for contact details
Re: African Senior Athletics Championship: How we fared in Mauritius by DropsMic(m): 9:17am On Jun 14, 2022
Cool
Re: African Senior Athletics Championship: How we fared in Mauritius by Segzy22: 9:17am On Jun 14, 2022
Thanks for making us proud

1 Like

Re: African Senior Athletics Championship: How we fared in Mauritius by TOPCRUISE(m): 9:20am On Jun 14, 2022
Nigerian sports federation are not reliable. Our Athlethes are trying but the government can just wake up the next day and say they they are banning anything athletics and the whole thing

2 Likes

Re: African Senior Athletics Championship: How we fared in Mauritius by NairaLux(f): 9:20am On Jun 14, 2022
grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Vs Seychelles: Three Players Out, Ndidi, Ihenacho & Others Arrive Camp / Asisat Oshoala Listed In UK Guardian's List Of The Best 100 Female Footballers. / Brand New Stadia U/C Springing Up everywhere Across Nigeria (Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.