Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,623 members, 7,820,209 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:24 AM

Which Other Country Of This World Can You Compare Nigeria With? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Which Other Country Of This World Can You Compare Nigeria With? (851 Views)

First Water Flyover In The World, Can We See This In Nigeria ? / Can You Compare Abacha's 5 Year Rule With Pdp's 14 Years Democracy? / How Can You Compare Telecommunication With Fuel Subsidy Removal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Other Country Of This World Can You Compare Nigeria With? by 1025: 8:46am On Jul 22, 2011
i can's stop thinking about my visits to some other African countries then comparing them to nigeria the self acclaimed giant of africa.
they have quality roads, hospitals, security, steady power supply, their educational system are like what nigeria used to have in the 70s and 80s and you see them dance, drink and enjoy for gaining admission into their universities not like a trader sitting in alaba and gaining admission in UNN.
in my area in ajah - lekki here in lagos, this is 3 weeks without any sign of electricity yet, we will pay our monthly charges without asking why.
internet connections are paid for in nigeria without been used for one full day.
nigeria is full of fraud both at co-operate level and govt levels.
where and what is the fate of nigeria and nigerians?
Re: Which Other Country Of This World Can You Compare Nigeria With? by Afam4eva(m): 9:50am On Jul 22, 2011
Nigeria and Nigerians are in this death race alone.

The problem we have is a unique one and before now could only be imagined in a fictional hollywood movie.

This is the only country you pay for a service you know fully well that you won't receive.

This is the only country that you're refused graduation from the university for bring too brilliant. You wan brilliant pass you lecturer abi dem swear for your papa.

This is the only country you pay bribe to the police to release you for a crime you did not commit.

The only country in the world where everyone one even a serial dullard has the opportunity of gaining admission to a university as long as you have the cash.

The only country that it's a crime to own a laptop.
Re: Which Other Country Of This World Can You Compare Nigeria With? by coogar: 9:54am On Jul 22, 2011
1025:

i can's stop thinking about my visits to some other African countries then comparing them to nigeria the self acclaimed giant of africa.
they have quality roads, hospitals, security, steady power supply, their educational system are like what nigeria used to have in the 70s and 80s and you see them dance, drink and enjoy for gaining admission into their universities not like a trader sitting in alaba and gaining admission in UNN.
in my area in ajah - lekki here in lagos, this is 3 weeks without any sign of electricity yet, we will pay our monthly charges without asking why.
internet connections are paid for in nigeria without been used for one full day.
nigeria is full of fraud both at co-operate level and govt levels.
where and what is the fate of nigeria and nigerians?

stop hoping things would get better and you won't be heartbroken. i stopped hoping several years ago so nothing about the country bothers me.
nigeria is doomed and there's no cure in sight for the next foreseeable years. . . . . .the previous generation ruined it and their children are about taking over from them to ruin it further.
Re: Which Other Country Of This World Can You Compare Nigeria With? by 1025: 10:57am On Jul 22, 2011
with the situation on ground, can it be said that the only way to survive in nigeria is by joining the moving train(crime)? i find it difficult to believe that straightforward people can survive in anything in nigeria.
even in all these hardships, everybody is afraid to die and this is the aspect of our lives that makes these criminals(politicians) to continue in their efforts to make us beggars in our own country.
WHAT IS THE WAY OUT OF THIS SHIT?
Re: Which Other Country Of This World Can You Compare Nigeria With? by coogar: 11:04am On Jul 22, 2011
1025:

with the situation on ground, can it be said that the only way to survive in nigeria is by joining the moving train(crime)? i find it difficult to believe that straightforward people can survive in anything in nigeria.
even in all these hardships, everybody is afraid to die and this is the aspect of our lives that makes these criminals(politicians) to continue in their efforts to make us beggars in our own country.
WHAT IS THE WAY OUT OF THIS poo?

there's no straightforward individual in nigeria. although the degree of dodgyness varies from individual to individual but think about it. . . .who hasn't bribed an official in nigeria? be it nepa official, nitel official, vigilante groups, area boys, petrol attendants, security officers, bank officials, teachers, etc.

it's not just humanly possible in nigeria to be straight - whenever i travel down there, i wear their armour as well cos if you carry this whole "civilized attitude" to lagos, you will be pushed off the edge. . . . .or stay stagnant because people who are willing to bribe to get quick service will push you to the back of a long queue.
Re: Which Other Country Of This World Can You Compare Nigeria With? by Afam4eva(m): 12:00pm On Jul 22, 2011
Well said.
Re: Which Other Country Of This World Can You Compare Nigeria With? by otapiapia: 12:16pm On Jul 22, 2011
Somalia with a lesser degree of killings.
Re: Which Other Country Of This World Can You Compare Nigeria With? by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jul 22, 2011
I culd nt agree less wt all dat had been said abot Naija!
I recently went to UNIJOS to proces my transcript fo an admison, I was askd to pay 5000naira as the oficial procesng fee, I did! At the PG school, I had to write request letter, attach a self adressd stamped envelope. All dis I did and I also gave d procesing oficer 2000naira so dat speed post culd be used fo me(d speed post cost s arnd 1500naira). Afta 2weeks I went to chek, and alas, nothng had been done! Why? The typist aparently wants t be 'seen'.
I had lost admison b4 becus of dis, this time arond i had solution and while they ar busy waitng fo 'egunje' n UJ my transcript had been receivd(please do nt ask how I dd it, in Nigeria u have t be smart)
Re: Which Other Country Of This World Can You Compare Nigeria With? by EzeUche(m): 4:03pm On Jul 22, 2011
Nigeria is the only country in the world where there is an equal Christian to Muslim ratio.
Re: Which Other Country Of This World Can You Compare Nigeria With? by kasiem(m): 5:07pm On Jul 22, 2011
I agree with all the contributions here, but, i must also they're a bit foolish and vacuous in some way. Let me apprise u guys, this things that get us berserked at the mention of our country, might be the main purpose of our creation. We can make ourselves sui generis by serving a positive catalyst with our capacity. Heroes like mandela and roosevelt used daunting situations to make mark in sounds of time. Here, the main problem facing our existence is that we like enjoying instead of building. Hitherto the epoch of roosevelt, america was totally in moribund state, but, he came and metamorphosed america into an exemplary country. Sometimes, we fetter ourselves with the reasoning that u can only make impact with leadership positions, but we don't that little things that we do matters alot. A citizen will be crying of bad roads, while he's blocking the waterways with garbage. I graduated from secondary with mal practice filled o'level, when i realised myself i stopped it. Today, i'm suffering the nemesis, in the sense, that jamb last year was not release(after all my reading); this year the result was withheld and later released with high level of underscore. In all this, should i channel my time toward castigating the gov't? Implicit nope! Rather, i'm suppose to see for ways of informing my younger ones of the need to achieve success in academics through reading.
Another bane of nigeria is our unpatriotism, we like vilifying our products always, without taking into cognizance that "the more u support the local manufacturers, the more they improve". How can a patriotic teacher, who wants the technological advancement of the country be helping students with expo?
Re: Which Other Country Of This World Can You Compare Nigeria With? by coogar: 5:24pm On Jul 22, 2011
kasiem:

I agree with all the contributions here, but, i must also they're a bit foolish and vacuous in some way.

you are a tool!
this same useless patriotism you preach is the biggest problem we have. rather than expose the ills and decay in that country, we quickly sweep it under the carpet because we don't want to say bad things about the most irresponsible country in the world.

Let me apprise u guys, this things that get us berserked at the mention of our country, might be the main purpose of our creation. We can make ourselves sui generis by serving a positive catalyst with our capacity. Heroes like mandela and roosevelt used daunting situations to make mark in sounds of time. Here, the main problem facing our existence is that we like enjoying instead of building. Hitherto the epoch of roosevelt, america was totally in moribund state, but, he came and metamorphosed america into an exemplary country. Sometimes, we fetter ourselves with the reasoning that u can only make impact with leadership positions, but we don't that little things that we do matters alot. A citizen will be crying of bad roads, while he's blocking the waterways with garbage.

mandela and roosevelt will not thrive in nigeria. mandela's parents would have warned him sternly to desist from his freedom fighting or renounce him publicly that he's no longer their son. same as roosevelt. nigeria have a very unique problem - people who have failed in nigeria would make it anywhere else. there's something about nigeria that is just different to everywhere else. i won't be surprised if the country is not within the same premises as lucifer's hell.

I graduated from secondary with mal practice filled o'level, when i realised myself i stopped it. Today, i'm suffering the nemesis, in the sense, that jamb last year was not release(after all my reading); this year the result was withheld and later released with high level of underscore. In all this, should i channel my time toward castigating the gov't? Implicit nope! Rather, i'm suppose to see for ways of informing my younger ones of the need to achieve success in academics through reading.

millions have paid their way from primary education to tertiary education and have made it. that karma is punishing you is just unfortunate. your case is about 1% of what the reality is in nigeria. if karma really exists, no one would be doing malpractices any more but you find a larger percentage of candidates doing it than the other divide.

Another bane of nigeria is our unpatriotism, we like vilifying our products always, without taking into cognizance that "the more u support the local manufacturers, the more they improve". How can a patriotic teacher, who wants the technological advancement of the country be helping students with expo?

forget this patriotism. patriotism hides the truth. patriotism paints nigeria as paradise when we all know the country is a hell-hole. a patriotic teacher has to be well-fed to think of the technological advancement of the country but are the tutors well-fed in nigeria? no! how won't they seek other means to get by when abject poverty is ruining things for them? why won't the police officers take bride when the government expects a man with a wife and 5 kids to live on 20,000 naira a month? a country with so much wealth and yet there's no social welfare or social security for the citizens and you are here preaching patriotism. may amadioha fire patriotism!

(1) (Reply)

"Ibb You Are Also A Failure" - Sagay, Aturu, Falae. / Boko Haram Offers Bomber N10m Each / Zamfara 19 Killed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.