Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,106 members, 7,814,882 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:54 PM

Machina: APC’s Submission Of Lawan’s Name Fraudulent, Illegal, Says Lawyer - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Machina: APC’s Submission Of Lawan’s Name Fraudulent, Illegal, Says Lawyer (19750 Views)

Pictures Of Lawan And Amaechi At Tinubu's Campaign Flag-off Yesterday / Court Declares Machina APC Senatorial Candidate For Yobe North / Northern APC Governors Kick Against Choice Of Lawan As Consensus Candidate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Machina: APC’s Submission Of Lawan’s Name Fraudulent, Illegal, Says Lawyer by Ademola47(m): 10:37am On Jun 19, 2022
Machina: APC’s submission of Lawan’s name fraudulent, unconstitutional, says lawyer

An Abuja-based human rights lawyer, Pelumi Olajengbesi, has described the replacement of the name of All Progressive Congress Yobe North senatorial candidate, Bashir Machina, with that of the Senate President, Ahmed Lawan, as fraudulent and unconstitutional.

Olajengbesi stated that the APC national chairman, Adamu Abdullahi, was hellbent on foisting Lawan on members of the party as seen first during the buildup to APC presidential primary when he announced Lawan as a ‘consensus candidate’ against the will of members of the National Working Committee of the party and other presidential contestants.

This was contained in a statement signed by Olajengbesi, who is the Principal Partner of Law Corridor, on Saturday, where he noted that Adamu wanted “enthrone” Lawan as the party’s Yobe North senatorial candidate, despite him not contesting in the primary election.

The PUNCH reports that Machina, who was declared the APC candidate at the Yobe North senatorial primary election, had stated that he would not step down for the Senate President.

However, in a turn of events, Machina’s name was replaced by Lawan’s on the list of Yobe senatorial candidates sent from the APC to the Independent National Electoral Commission.

“Now that Lawan has lost the presidential primary to former Lagos State governor, Bola Tinubu, it is shocking that the APC chairman again threw away constitutional democracy and moved on to enthrone Lawan as Yobe North senatorial candidate for the ruling party when it was apparent that the Senate President didn’t participate in the Senatorial primary,” the statement reads in part.

Olajengbesi added that the party had disgraced itself by allowing such to happen and advised Machina to seek redress in court.

“The APC has just disgraced and embarrassed itself as a shameless party with no respect for constitutional democracy which President Muhammadu Buhari preaches.

“Going by the provisions of Section 84 of the Electoral Act 2022 signed by the President, the APC cannot just foist anybody on other contestants, not especially in this case where Machina contested the election and won whilst Lawan was busy chasing his presidential ambition which was met with preposterous defeat as he didn’t even come close to the first three in terms of votes cast by delegates.

“Recall that similar cases have been recorded with the likes of other APC presidential aspirants including Godswill Akpabio, Dave Umahi, and Ibikunle Amosun.

“The APC must stop its illegalities and actions alien to decent democracy. There is nothing absolutely wrong with Lawan’s 24-year rubberstamp tenure in the National Assembly coming to an end in 2023. It is this sit-tight syndrome that has destroyed democracy in Nigeria and Africa as a whole.

"Machina is encouraged to seek legal redress to reclaim his rightful mandate from Lawan. Machina has a good case and should not give in to intimidation and oppression by the high and mighty who should be taught a lesson that illegalities won’t be tolerated going into the 2023 elections,” Olajengbesi stated.

https://punchng.com/machina-apcs-submission-of-lawans-name-fraudulent-unconstitutional-says-lawyer/

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Machina: APC’s Submission Of Lawan’s Name Fraudulent, Illegal, Says Lawyer by PresidObi: 10:39am On Jun 19, 2022
It is

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Machina: APC’s Submission Of Lawan’s Name Fraudulent, Illegal, Says Lawyer by Artisticity1: 10:40am On Jun 19, 2022
APC and fraud

74 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Machina: APC’s Submission Of Lawan’s Name Fraudulent, Illegal, Says Lawyer by Toneypen247(m): 10:41am On Jun 19, 2022
Even the deaf knows that....daylight robbery

Kindly check my signature below for your academic research writing assistance, Assignments, Projects, and content writing with Zero plagiarism.

56 Likes

Re: Machina: APC’s Submission Of Lawan’s Name Fraudulent, Illegal, Says Lawyer by Jostoman: 10:42am On Jun 19, 2022
I trust Olajengbesi

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Machina: APC’s Submission Of Lawan’s Name Fraudulent, Illegal, Says Lawyer by Maxymilliano(m): 10:43am On Jun 19, 2022
Robbing Machina of his ticket typifies the injustice that has been the hallmark of APC's rule of Nigeria.

Let's hope INEC will do what is right ...

86 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Machina: APC’s Submission Of Lawan’s Name Fraudulent, Illegal, Says Lawyer by shigishege: 10:57am On Jun 19, 2022
The Labourers need more labour works ahead to do grin

85 Likes

Re: Machina: APC’s Submission Of Lawan’s Name Fraudulent, Illegal, Says Lawyer by article1: 11:01am On Jun 19, 2022
As far as I'm concerned I will neither blame Adamu nor Lawan for this abnormalities, rather, I blame INEC who accept Lawan's name as the candidate in place of the substantive winner of the ticket. My reason is not far fetched; did INEC not monitor the election that produced Machina as the winner? Secondly, whose name did INEC recognise and submit and announce after the senatorial election? So, why should INEC accept Lawan's name from the APC and Adamu as the candidate of Yobe north senatorial zone? This remind me of late Prophet TB Joshua Prophesy that APC has strangers in its fold who will pretend to be with them whereas they are not...... The likes of Adamu have come from PDP to destroy APC. We're keenly watching as the events unfold....

85 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Machina: APC’s Submission Of Lawan’s Name Fraudulent, Illegal, Says Lawyer by Damidave1124(m): 12:38pm On Jun 19, 2022
If I were Michiana, I'd seek redress in the court of law

5 Likes

Re: Machina: APC’s Submission Of Lawan’s Name Fraudulent, Illegal, Says Lawyer by SenatePresdo(m): 12:38pm On Jun 19, 2022
The level of impunity in APC is heart wrecking.

Nigeria has gone to the Dogs, yet they are still scheming to retain power in 2023 with no aim to better the living standard of the populace other than It-is-my-Turn.

I don't blame them, the youths doesn't have voters card, it's only card for Data they have in order to come online and rant about Govt of the day all day long.

If we miss Obi in 2023, I may never Vote any candidate again in this country.

By God's grace no be me and well meaning Nigerians go suffer am pass.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Machina: APC’s Submission Of Lawan’s Name Fraudulent, Illegal, Says Lawyer by Zelenskyy(m): 12:38pm On Jun 19, 2022
article1:
As far as I'm concerned I will neither blame Adamu nor Lawan for this abnormalities, rather, I blame INEC who accept Lawan's name as the candidate in place of the substantive winner of the ticket. My reason is not far fetched; did INEC not monitor the election that produced Machina as the winner? Secondly, whose name did INEC recognise and submit and announce after the senatorial election? So, why should INEC accept Lawan's name from the APC and Adamu as the candidate of Yobe north senatorial zone? This remind me of late Prophet TB Joshua Prophesy that APC has strangers in its fold who will pretend to be with them whereas they are not...... The likes of Adamu have come from PDP to destroy APC. We're keenly watching as the events unfold....

Don't completely blame INEC....

There is a window for the Substitution of names...

Aminu Tambawal DID NOT contest the Governorship primaries in Sokoto State in 2019 but was busy chasing the Presidential ticket of the PDP.

When he lost the Presidential primaries, what happened.... ?

He went back to Sokoto State and the name of the PDP Governorship primary winner was substituted. Aminu Tambawal became the Governorship candidate and won re-election by a slim margin...

So it is not INEC's fault. They are following the rules of engagement...

The problem here is this...

Did the winner of this APC Senatorial ticket write a letter with his own hand and delivered it himself to Adamu or APC, telling them of his desire to withdraw from race ?

The answer so far is Capital NO

Because that is what the law says.

Any candidate that is withdrawing from a contest must write a letter with his hand and deliver it himself to his Party.

“By the provisions of Section 35 of the Electoral Act 2010 (as amended), a candidate validly nominated by a political party may withdraw his candidature by a notice in writing, signed by him and delivered by himself to the political party that nominated him for the election and such a political party shall convey his withdrawal to the INEC".

Since the primary winner has not written to APC about his desire to withdraw from the race, then it is very obvious that Adamu and Lawan are trying to play smart.

He should head to court and seek for justice...

4 Likes

Re: Machina: APC’s Submission Of Lawan’s Name Fraudulent, Illegal, Says Lawyer by Two02: 12:39pm On Jun 19, 2022
It's fraudulent because Lawan never participated in primaries, so how did his magically and mysteriously get submitted to INEC. What do you want again after spending more than 20+ years in the Senate, isn't that greed what happens to the young growing. Anyways the law is surely going to take it's cause, because this daylight robbery. If he really wanted to return back to the Senate why did he bother contesting for president isn't that just greed you can't eat your cakr and have it.

Spending more than 20+ years in the Senate and nothing to show for it isnt that arrant and absolute nonsense. Nigerians need better leaders and not human beings who only care about their pocket. Ahmed Lawan is a con man and vere greedy man and his greed might end up messing him up. This shows lack of internal democracy and corruption in a party that claims to endorse, support democracy and fight corruption

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Machina: APC’s Submission Of Lawan’s Name Fraudulent, Illegal, Says Lawyer by Elock1: 12:39pm On Jun 19, 2022
angry
After nonsense patriots go Wan make I believe say naija no be rubbish sh*thole.

How another person go win primaries finish then dem come carry their favorite name put.

Where is the leadership by example we keep talking about?

After u go say make I vote APC.. Godforbid bad thing.

7 Likes

Re: Machina: APC’s Submission Of Lawan’s Name Fraudulent, Illegal, Says Lawyer by AFRICANJAMAICA: 12:39pm On Jun 19, 2022
Every thing about APC is fraudulent ..
Any body expecting any good thing from APC is a fraudulent fool.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Machina: APC’s Submission Of Lawan’s Name Fraudulent, Illegal, Says Lawyer by Afam4eva(m): 12:39pm On Jun 19, 2022
Machina does not need to worry himself. He should allow Lawan go ahead and win the election for him, so that the courts can sack him.

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Machina: APC’s Submission Of Lawan’s Name Fraudulent, Illegal, Says Lawyer by Ezedon(m): 12:40pm On Jun 19, 2022
Tinubu and APC are all confused

2 Likes

Re: Machina: APC’s Submission Of Lawan’s Name Fraudulent, Illegal, Says Lawyer by SkgeeBoss(m): 12:41pm On Jun 19, 2022
POLITRICKS

undecided
Re: Machina: APC’s Submission Of Lawan’s Name Fraudulent, Illegal, Says Lawyer by onomeabuja: 12:43pm On Jun 19, 2022

3 Likes

Re: Machina: APC’s Submission Of Lawan’s Name Fraudulent, Illegal, Says Lawyer by CelebrityQueen(f): 12:44pm On Jun 19, 2022

we are not surprised.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Machina: APC’s Submission Of Lawan’s Name Fraudulent, Illegal, Says Lawyer by eddyslim(m): 12:46pm On Jun 19, 2022
Wonders they say shall never end
Wetin person no go see for this con3

9 Likes

Re: Machina: APC’s Submission Of Lawan’s Name Fraudulent, Illegal, Says Lawyer by porthouse7(f): 12:46pm On Jun 19, 2022
Lawan sud go lick his wound alone and allow this man
Re: Machina: APC’s Submission Of Lawan’s Name Fraudulent, Illegal, Says Lawyer by Bobloco: 12:49pm On Jun 19, 2022
Afam4eva:
Machina does not need to worry himself. He should allow Lawan go ahead and win the election for him, so that the courts can sack him.

Won't it be time barred by then.

We all know how our courts can mess up a genuine case based on mere technicalities

1 Like

Re: Machina: APC’s Submission Of Lawan’s Name Fraudulent, Illegal, Says Lawyer by Princelumide: 12:49pm On Jun 19, 2022
Let them take it to inec's Twitter handle...
n start d vawulence der...
shocked grin

Re: Machina: APC’s Submission Of Lawan’s Name Fraudulent, Illegal, Says Lawyer by KillaBeans(m): 12:50pm On Jun 19, 2022
This Ogbojuole Jegudujera Ahmad Lawan has been in the National Assembly since 1999 o. Chai cry cry

1 Like

Re: Machina: APC’s Submission Of Lawan’s Name Fraudulent, Illegal, Says Lawyer by happyphemmy(m): 12:51pm On Jun 19, 2022
Just imagine how Senator Akpabio disgraced th National Law makers some months ago now same Senator Akpabio has been given Apc ticket that he never participated to come as Senate President come 2023. I pray God should frustrate their evil plans

1 Like

Re: Machina: APC’s Submission Of Lawan’s Name Fraudulent, Illegal, Says Lawyer by Rebuke: 12:52pm On Jun 19, 2022
Shameless party. Most of their elected officials got their position by crook. They make election do or die affair, all because they want to remain in power.

This is why I believe that Buhari didn't truly win his last presidential election.

We all remember the last Osun election and Kogi State election that returned or retained Yahaya Bello as the State Governor. Hoodlums and miscreants in power.
Re: Machina: APC’s Submission Of Lawan’s Name Fraudulent, Illegal, Says Lawyer by Billygee2u: 12:53pm On Jun 19, 2022
Maxymilliano:
Robbing Machina of his ticket typifies the injustice that has been the hallmark of APC's rule of Nigeria.

Let's hope INEC will do what is right ...
Re: Machina: APC’s Submission Of Lawan’s Name Fraudulent, Illegal, Says Lawyer by Billygee2u: 12:53pm On Jun 19, 2022
Artisticity1:
APC and fraud
Re: Machina: APC’s Submission Of Lawan’s Name Fraudulent, Illegal, Says Lawyer by RaptObserver: 1:12pm On Jun 19, 2022
Wahala

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Photo: Fashola Unveils Lagos Resident Card / How CBN Exceeded Approved Waiver To Employ Buhari, Ministers’ Relatives / Amaechi, Ayade, Donald Duke, Attah, Ndoma, Meet For Niger Delta Peace & Devt.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.