Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,216 members, 7,836,051 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:57 PM

What Industry Should This Person Look At? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Industry Should This Person Look At? (831 Views)

Have A Look At The Top 5 Nigerians In ICT / What Recruiters Look At During The 6 Seconds They Spend On Your Resume (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Industry Should This Person Look At? by DaMirage: 12:46pm On Jul 22, 2011
I know this lady. she works with an advertising agency now but like she always tells me, she has no form of job satisfaction. she wants to leave her job but she dosent know what she will do after she has left,kind of industry she should be looking at. she says she would love to set up something for herself. i have asked her some questions and these are her replies

Q: What did you study in school
A: Mathematics/statistics
Q: How long have you been in advertising?
A: SInce i left school in 2005
Q: What do u have a passion for?
A: Helping people/making an impact
Q: What do u think you can do exceptionally well
A: Writing and talking (speaking)
Q: Do u think you can buy and sell?
A: I dont think so cos i will end up leaving a lot of my money with people dat i think will find it difficult to pay me

Please guys, advise this lady out at she gets more and more depressed and dissatisfied each passing day
Re: What Industry Should This Person Look At? by AjanleKoko: 9:44pm On Jul 22, 2011
She should join a nonprofit, or NGO as we call them in these parts.
She could also go into church work.
Re: What Industry Should This Person Look At? by Nobody: 9:51pm On Jul 22, 2011
AjanleKoko:

She should join a nonprofit, and take up small scale trading by the side.
She could also go into church work.

Absolutely outta the question. She's already confessed to her inability in this regard. I agree with the NGO part, she can also teach.
Re: What Industry Should This Person Look At? by AjanleKoko: 9:57pm On Jul 22, 2011
naijababe:

Absolutely outta the question. She's already confessed to her inability in this regard. I agree with the NGO part, she can also teach.

well, i edited my original post. grin
Re: What Industry Should This Person Look At? by DaMirage: 11:10am On Jul 23, 2011
I was looking at asking her to keep her job till she gets a new one and maybe blog on the side.
NGOs? i dont know,do they pay ok at all?
she doesnt really have some inhertitance to fall back on so she needs to make enough to sustain herself
Teach? Not every one can teach dont u agree? knowing a subject matter is one thing, knowing how to impact that knowledge to others is a completely different ball game
Re: What Industry Should This Person Look At? by yamakuza: 12:19pm On Jul 23, 2011
What role did she play in the ad agency? Hope not secretary?

With her 6 yrs experience, maybe she can setup shop as a consultant? Change mgt, business process reengineering for small businesses, entrepreneurs and startups? She can help them come up with solid business and marketing plans.

While waiting for her consultancy outfit to build up, she can engage in motivational/public speaking like Leke Alder, Fela Durotoye, or that calabar chap on STV.

She can test the waters at NYSC camps or campus programs organised by the likes of AIESEC and JAYCEES, to see if she likes it. Additional training might be required.

She can also look up what Poise Finishing School and Afterschool Grad Dev are into. A lot of our graduates NEED personal branding and reorientation.

She shouldnt find it hard to get corporate sponsors and govt support.

She can run it as an NGO and get intl grants. Lolz!
Re: What Industry Should This Person Look At? by AjanleKoko: 9:41pm On Jul 23, 2011
yamakuza:

With her 6 yrs experience, maybe she can setup shop as a consultant? Change mgt, business process reengineering for small businesses, entrepreneurs and startups? She can help them come up with solid business and marketing plans.

While waiting for her consultancy outfit to build up, she can engage in motivational/public speaking like Leke Alder, Fela Durotoye, or that calabar chap on STV.

She can test the waters at NYSC camps or campus programs organised by the likes of AIESEC and JAYCEES, to see if she likes it. Additional training might be required.

She can also look up what Poise Finishing School and Afterschool Grad Dev are into. A lot of our graduates NEED personal branding and reorientation.

Nice post.
Though me thinks the OP needs some personal branding and re-orientation of her own.
Re: What Industry Should This Person Look At? by yamakuza: 11:00pm On Jul 23, 2011
Lolz. Thankz.

1. Maybe she should approach LA or FD for mentorship/internship?

2. An MSC/MBA in Strategic Mgt might tie in well given her background(s).
Re: What Industry Should This Person Look At? by AjanleKoko: 11:02pm On Jul 23, 2011
In fact, she should supplement her current job with some volunteer work with the NGOs, as a good way of getting involved without the pressure of looking for a good salary.
Re: What Industry Should This Person Look At? by DaMirage: 8:39am On Jul 25, 2011
yamakuza:

I wouldnt have thot of a better suggestion! this is off the hook! i talked to her over the weekend about this and she is so excited about it especially the part about finishing school and afterschool branding and reorientation of graduates. she has started thinking of how to go about it. havent seen her this excited in a while. thanks guys
Re: What Industry Should This Person Look At? by UpDates1(m): 8:50am On Jul 25, 2011
:p :p

(1) (Reply)

Kindly Advise About This Change Of Career.. / Save 50k To 1 Million  naira  getting Used And New Cars From Usa And Europe / ....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.