Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,471 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:36 PM

Serena Williams Playing At Wimbledon: Here's What You Need To Know. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Serena Williams Playing At Wimbledon: Here's What You Need To Know. (242 Views)

We Love Playing At Old Trafford: Brighton 'taunt' United After 3-1 Win / Lebron James, Serena Williams, Tom Brady, Kim K. Attend Messi's Debut Match / Serena Williams Cries After Losing Wimbledon Final To Angelique Kerber (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Serena Williams Playing At Wimbledon: Here's What You Need To Know. by naijabetlee(m): 10:54pm On Jun 20, 2022
Serena Williams is set to make her comeback after a year out of tennis when she plays in the Eastbourne doubles on Tuesday.

Williams, who has won 23 singles and 14 women's doubles titles at Grand Slam events, has not competed since she was injured at Wimbledon last year.

The 40-year-old American is playing with Tunisia's Ons Jabeur.

BET on Tennis today!!! Sign up on NaijaBet >> www.naijabet.com << ENJOY the biggest odds!!!

Williams was scheduled to practise at Eastbourne on Monday but the session was called off at late notice.

Williams and Jabeur, who is third in the WTA singles rankings, will play Spain's Sara Sorribes Tormo and Marie Bouzkova of the Czech Republic on Eastbourne's centre court at about 18:30 BST.

"Serena is such a fighter on the court. I really admire her story, admire everything that she did for us, for women's tennis," said Jabeur, who has pulled out of the singles because it would be "too much" before Wimbledon.

"She's such an inspiration and the fact that we're playing doubles together is huge news for me.

"It's unbelievable, I honestly never expected her to pick me or even to play doubles after a long time.

"But I feel like I'm going way back and all the memories of watching her winning a lot of Grand Slams. I hope it's not going to make me too nervous, standing next to her."

BET on Tennis today!!! Sign up on NaijaBet >> www.naijabet.com << ENJOY the biggest odds!!!

After not playing competitively for so long, Williams decided to only enter the doubles at Eastbourne but has been given a wildcard to play in the singles at Wimbledon, which starts next Monday.

Williams is a seven-time singles champion at the All England Club and is one major win short of Australian Margaret Court's record 24 Grand Slam singles victories.

(1) (Reply)

Transfer News: Manchester, PSG, Juventus, Chelsea, Arsenal, Everton, Ronaldo / Agbonlahor: Players Now Prefer To Join Spurs Than Man United / #ChessinNaija: Jawolusy unveils #chessinhausa, #chessinigbo & #chessinyoruba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.