Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,261 members, 7,807,900 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:07 PM

Florida Nabs Largest Python Ever Found In State - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Florida Nabs Largest Python Ever Found In State (78786 Views)

Man Jumps Into Water, Wrestles Alligator To Save His Puppy In Florida (Video) / Meet The Green Ananconda The World Largest Snake / Alligator Fights Python On Florida Golf Course (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Florida Nabs Largest Python Ever Found In State by silverlinen(m): 5:39am On Jun 24, 2022
Weighing in at 215lbs (98kg) and nearly 18ft long (5 meters), the female Burmese python was caught after researchers used a male "scout" to find her.

She wrestled with biologists for 20 minutes before she was "subdued", they said Wednesday.

Pythons have become pests in Florida as invasive snakes with no major predators, out-competing native species.

The serpents have been periodically found in the state since irresponsible pet owners released or allowed pet pythons to escape years ago, with many then going on to thrive in Florida's subtropical climate.

The record-setting Burmese female killed by researchers from the Conservancy of Southwest Florida was about the height of a giraffe if stretched out vertically, according to state biologist Ian Bartoszek.

She had been slithering around the Florida Everglades forest when biologists, using a male python named Dionysus outfitted with a radio transmitter, found her.

He stopped at a spot in the western part of the forest. "We knew he was there for a reason, and the team found him with the largest female we have seen to date," Mr Bartoszek said. She was also discovered to have been pregnant with an astonishing 122 eggs.

The largest male ever found there was 16ft and 140lbs.

It is estimated that she was up to 20 years old when caught.

Researchers have been hunting pythons in Florida for over 10 years in an effort to protect native species in the region's ecosystem.

Since being established in 2013, the Conservancy of Southwest Florida's python programme has removed over 1,000 pythons from around 100 sq miles in southwest Florida.

Florida also runs an annual contest asking the public for help with hunting pythons. The "Python Challenge" will run from 5 to 14 August and is expected to draw around 600 participants from 25 different states.

Prizes include $2,500 (£2,050) for most snakes captured, and $1,500 for the longest snake caught.

Last year's winner captured 223 pythons, while the longest snake was 15 feet long. All snakes must be killed humanely.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61916694.amp

27 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Florida Nabs Largest Python Ever Found In State by ollymooreagain: 5:42am On Jun 24, 2022
Straight to front page

99 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Florida Nabs Largest Python Ever Found In State by Onyiiobi7735(m): 6:01am On Jun 24, 2022
cheesy Burmese pythons are powerful predators, an invasive species in The Everglades of Florida.These pythons are semiaquatic, being able to stay submerged underwater, for 30 minutes.
They can be cannibalistic.
I have seen a YouTube documentary of a Burmese python killing and devouring another Burmese python. And these snakes are territorial.

175 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Florida Nabs Largest Python Ever Found In State by Deborah98(f): 6:27am On Jun 24, 2022
Snake remain one of the animals I will forever hate in my life. Any creeping thing gets me startled. Ordinary millipede and centipede dey fear me let alone snake. People that makes use of products from their skin Sha get mind,I remember one time I had one shoe whose surface was covered with the skin,I'm not sure I wore that shoe for a month before I dumped it. God I have a phobia for it Biko.

224 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Florida Nabs Largest Python Ever Found In State by Tokskob2008: 6:40am On Jun 24, 2022
HRHQueenPhil:
That skin, d many bags and leather dat will be produced smiley wink wink grin grin grin cheesy cheesy wink may it's soul rest in peace amen
Lol, you said so because it happened over there and not here cos if it were to be here many pepper soup ingredients and bottles of beers would have accompanied it to the great beyond, that I'm very sure of.

56 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Florida Nabs Largest Python Ever Found In State by OBALOLA55(m): 7:14am On Jun 24, 2022
LALASTICLALA THIS IS YUGE shocked

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Florida Nabs Largest Python Ever Found In State by silverlinen(m): 7:19am On Jun 24, 2022
Onyiiobi7735:
cheesy Burmese pythons are powerful predators, an invasive species in The Everglades of Florida.These pythons are semiaquatic, being able to stay submerged underwater, for 30 minutes.
They can be cannibalistic.
I have seen a YouTube documentary of a Burmese python killing and devouring another Burmese python. And these snakes are territorial.
Damnnn
Thanks for the info
Very educative.

50 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Florida Nabs Largest Python Ever Found In State by Osobi32(m): 7:36am On Jun 24, 2022
Deborah98:
Snake remain one of the animals I will forever hate in my life. Any creeping thing gets me startled. Ordinary millipede and centipede dey fear me let alone snake. People that makes use of products from their skin Sha get mind,I remember one time I had one shoe whose surface was covered with the skin,I'm not sure I wore that shoe for a month before I dumped it. God I have a phobia for it Biko.
You get mind call centipede ordinary. Hmm ok oooo

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Florida Nabs Largest Python Ever Found In State by TeeGentle(m): 8:59am On Jun 24, 2022
Lalasticlala go dey happy right now
He will be like........

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Florida Nabs Largest Python Ever Found In State by TeeGentle(m): 9:02am On Jun 24, 2022
HRHQueenPhil:
That skin, d many bags and leather dat will be produced smiley wink wink grin grin grin cheesy cheesy wink may it's soul rest in peace amen

Did snake rest in peace
Because the way you are praying for the snake I fear o

13 Likes

Re: Florida Nabs Largest Python Ever Found In State by TeeGentle(m): 9:04am On Jun 24, 2022
This wan na correct soup
It will last for days

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Florida Nabs Largest Python Ever Found In State by BBBricks: 12:07pm On Jun 24, 2022
Smart snake

It knew saw we go chop am

E no gree come NIGERIA

Snake self get sense these days!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Florida Nabs Largest Python Ever Found In State by beautyhd: 1:04pm On Jun 24, 2022
It would have been chilling in some people’s pots if it were found in a certain Niger area.

Lalasticlala, do as usual

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Florida Nabs Largest Python Ever Found In State by ArewaNightmare: 6:06pm On Jun 24, 2022
grin LALA will be in Sifia pains now after hearing that the snake wasn't cooked grin grin grin

18 Likes

Re: Florida Nabs Largest Python Ever Found In State by MITCHELL96: 6:06pm On Jun 24, 2022
Omo! shocked

I don't think this one is bigger than the one caught in Calabar, I watched the video on Facebook, and all I could say was Omo grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Florida Nabs Largest Python Ever Found In State by kambili999(f): 6:07pm On Jun 24, 2022
*singing* Lalalalalalalalalala...
Re: Florida Nabs Largest Python Ever Found In State by Orubebe01: 6:07pm On Jun 24, 2022
Re: Florida Nabs Largest Python Ever Found In State by Ofunaofu: 6:07pm On Jun 24, 2022
Crocodile python
Re: Florida Nabs Largest Python Ever Found In State by tonididdy(m): 6:08pm On Jun 24, 2022
Dayum shocked
Re: Florida Nabs Largest Python Ever Found In State by IboHausaYoruba: 6:08pm On Jun 24, 2022
Haaa
Re: Florida Nabs Largest Python Ever Found In State by onomeabuja: 6:08pm On Jun 24, 2022
silverlinen:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61916694.amp
I give seun & his mode this name award"SNAKE "
haba dem carry snake do una(always front pages)

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Florida Nabs Largest Python Ever Found In State by Typicool8(m): 6:08pm On Jun 24, 2022
Lala will be so happy to push this to front page

1 Like

Re: Florida Nabs Largest Python Ever Found In State by ZUBY77(m): 6:09pm On Jun 24, 2022
This one can swallow a ship
Re: Florida Nabs Largest Python Ever Found In State by GIANTPLUSHUB: 6:09pm On Jun 24, 2022
This is huge
Re: Florida Nabs Largest Python Ever Found In State by Sniper101(m): 6:09pm On Jun 24, 2022
How people take dey gather mind approach a huge python in other to capture it or kill it, is what I don't understand

Me, if I happen to come across a python in any Bush ehn, there are two things involved
It's either I drop dead immediately or I run as fast as my legs can carry me

And if am to run?
Shit
There's also two things involved angry

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Florida Nabs Largest Python Ever Found In State by QuickStandard: 6:09pm On Jun 24, 2022
shocked
This is a small snake compared to the ones we used to kill in the village in the creeks of Niger Delta.
if you know you know

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Florida Nabs Largest Python Ever Found In State by MorataFC: 6:09pm On Jun 24, 2022
Hmmm
Re: Florida Nabs Largest Python Ever Found In State by VladimirPutiin(m): 6:09pm On Jun 24, 2022
grin grin grin

Lala right now

2 Likes

Re: Florida Nabs Largest Python Ever Found In State by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jun 24, 2022
Hmm large serpent

Get your PVC and vote the jagaban of lagos for a better Nigeria

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

No Parrot Owners Here? / The Little Chick I Found That Doesn't Want To Go Away / World's Most Expensive Snake Is Lavender Albino Ball Python, Costs N14 Million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.