Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,429 members, 7,815,967 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:27 PM

Rotimi Amaechi: Beyond The Hype - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rotimi Amaechi: Beyond The Hype (10026 Views)

LIVE ON NTA: Senate Kicks Against Petition Submitted Against Rotimi Amaechi / Caption This Photo Of Governor Rotimi Amaechi Dancing Explosively At A Rally / Rotimi Amaechi In His APC-Customised Reflective Sunglasses (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rotimi Amaechi: Beyond The Hype by mbulela: 9:11am On Jul 25, 2011
My disdain for the average Nigerian politician is evident from my post history and my comments offline.Also my distrust for the each and every politican is captured by the notorious phrase 'guilty until proven innocent'.
However, i am not immune to spin,hype and propaganda.
Just like most Nigerians see and hear about Fashola and conjure up images of a man who has taken governance to unimaginable heights and has transformed Lagos to levels that can only be seen to be believed, the same image is projected of Rotimi Amaechi in the media and even in everday discourse by Nigerians.
I spend the weekend in Port Harcourt and my shock at the disconnect between the hype and what i saw on the ground is quite worrying.Amaechi has been in govt for the past three and half years and i guess whatever seeds are being sown ought to be bearing fruits now.my worry is that every time i hear the state comissioner of Information speak in the media,she says Ameachi is in a hurry to develop Rivers State and the problem is getting the rest of the people to match his pace.On my recent visit,recalling that comment left me bemused.
I am not a weekend visitor to Port Harcourt,i have been in and out of that town for the past 3 decades and know every nook and corner of the place.

on the positive side;
- the much advertised public primary schools are a lovely sight to behold and according to teachers and students who i have spoken to,they are well equipped.

- the building of health centers all over the state is for real and while i can't remember the count,so far over 200 of them have been built across the state and loads of doctors recruited to man these health centers.

- Safety.The state has been largely recused from the hands of hoodlums and militants.At least everyone can move around freely.

- the revamped Industrial road,Okinigba. the revamped Old Aba road and Elekahia road.

- the free medical scheme is very active.Every mother who attends 3 ante natals is qualified for a free CS during delivery.kids below 5 are entitled to free medication and govt clinics and adults above 60 too.

on the negative side

- the state of roads in Port Harcourt and its environs are criminal,unacceptable and a shame to any decent individual.Where do i start from?The Eliozu/Airforce road has been in one state of construction or the other for the past 3 and 1/2 years.How can you repair such a small stretch of road for that long?The quality of road constructions in the state is very poor.it is either the contractors are substandard or the supervisors (state ministry of works) are compromised.driving from the airport through Eneka to rumukurushe is a nightmare.the roads are completely unusable and drivers have to drive through villages where roads are even non existent.The east west road is a federal road,so we will not even go there.the new road that was has not even been comissioned (i think) that runs from the airport to mgbuoba axis is virtually unusable.
I am talking of a new road!!!
Woji junction to YKC junction is a sham.
Borokiri roads up to the new road behind comprehensive secondary are all useless and in horrible states.
that Artillery junction by Rumuogba road has been like that for the past 4 years and we are told that the governor is in a hurry to develop the state.Plsssssssssss!!!!
if you know how small Port Harcourt  is you will realise that with the state of the roads i have mentioned and a few others i have ignored,the city and its environs are in a permanent state of gridlock 24/7.Talk to people in PH and they are in a constant state of angst and irritation.

-while the free medical scheme is real and active, there is a bit of propaganda behind the scheme.it seems to be poorly funded as must citizens who are qualified for it do not get most of the drugs they need when admitted.anything outside the regular paracetamol and ampicilin,you are told in the pharmacy that the drugs you need are out of stock but if you choose to buy it  cash they become available.so at the end of the day, the poor are disenfranchised.but the media will not let us rest in using this scheme as one of the govt's dividend of democracy.

- their is a total lack of citizen advocacy in Rivers state.
the present face off between Fashola and Lekki inhabitants will be impossible in Rivers state.Residents of Rivers state seem so easily sucked in by the hype and propaganda.Everyone seems tied to the govt apron.No one seems to be putting the govt on its toes.

In my view Amaechi might be trying but no way worthy of the hype that the media have bestowed on him and his govt.Their is so much more to be done and the state of roads in PH do not line up with the image of a gov who is in a hurry to develop his state.
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Beyond The Hype by Nobody: 9:34am On Jul 25, 2011
you are just crying more than the mourner. in your haste to rubbish amaechi , you have forgotten to compare what has been achieved by his administration to that of his predecessor.
what about the security situation in the state or you are not aware of that. The man stands out when compared to the like of theodore, oshiomole , silva and others so let him be
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Beyond The Hype by phantom(m): 9:42am On Jul 25, 2011
aguiyi:

you are just crying more than the mourner. in your haste to rubbish amaechi , you have forgotten to compare what has been achieved by his administration to that of his predecessor.
what about the security situation in the state or you are not aware of that. The man stands out when compared to the like of theodore, oshiomole , silva and others so let him be
thank you,
mbulela:

My disdain for the average Nigerian politician is evident from my post history and my comments offline.Also my distrust for the each and every politican is captured by the notorious phrase 'guilty until proven innocent'.
However, i am not immune to spin,hype and propaganda.
Just like most Nigerians see and hear about Fashola and conjure up images of a man who has taken governance to unimaginable heights and has transformed Lagos to levels that can only be seen to be believed, the same image is projected of Rotimi Amaechi in the media and even in everday discourse by Nigerians.
I spend the weekend in Port Harcourt and my shock at the disconnect between the hype and what i saw on the ground is quite worrying.Amaechi has been in govt for the past three and half years and i guess whatever seeds are being sown ought to be bearing fruits now.my worry is that every time i hear the state comissioner of Information speak in the media,she says Ameachi is in a hurry to develop Rivers State and the problem is getting the rest of the people to match his pace.On my recent visit,recalling that comment left me bemused.
I am not a weekend visitor to Port Harcourt,i have been in and out of that town for the past 3 decades and know every nook and corner of the place.

on the positive side;
- the much advertised public primary schools are a lovely sight to behold and according to teachers and students who i have spoken to,they are well equipped.

- the building of health centers all over the state is for real and while i can't remember the count,so far over 200 of them have been built across the state and loads of doctors recruited to man these health centers.

- the revamped Industrial road,Okinigba. the revamped Old Aba road.

- the free medical scheme is very active.Every mother who attends 3 ante natals is qualified for a free CS during delivery.kids below 5 are entitled to free medication and govt clinics and adults above 60 too.

on the negative side

- the state of roads in Port Harcourt and its environs are criminal,unacceptable and a shame to any decent individual.Where do i start from?The Eliozu/Airforce road has been in one state of construction or the other for the past 3 and 1/2 years.How can you repair such a small stretch of road for that long?The quality of road constructions in the state is very poor.it is either the contractors are substandard or the supervisors (state ministry of works) are compromised.driving from the airport through Eneka to rumukurushe is a nightmare.the roads are completely unusable and drivers have to drive through villages where roads are even non existent.The east west road is a federal road,so we will not even go there.the new road that was has not even been comissioned (i think) that runs from the airport to mgbuoba axis is virtually unusable.
I am talking of a new road!!!
Borokiri roads up to the new road behind comprehensive secondary are all useless and in horrible states.
that Artillery junction by Rumuogba road has been like that for the past 4 years and we are told that the governor is in a hurry to develop the state.Plsssssssssss!!!!
if you know how small Port Harcourt is you will realise that with the state of the roads i have mentioned and a few others i have ignored,the city and its environs are in a permanent state of gridlock 24/7.Talk to people in PH and they are in a constant state of angst and irritation.

-while the free medical scheme is real and active, there is a bit of propaganda behind the scheme.it seems to be poorly funded as must citizens who are qualified for it do not get most of the drugs they need when admitted.anything outside the regular paracetamol and ampicilin,you are told in the pharmacy that the drugs you need are out of stock but if you choose to buy it cash they become available.so at the end of the day, the poor are disenfranchised.but the media will not let us rest in using this scheme as one of the govt's dividend of democracy.

the present face off between Fashola and Lekki inhabitants will be impossible in Rivers state.Residents of Rivers state seem so easily sucked in by the hype and propaganda.Everyone seems tied to the govt apron.No one seems to be putting the govt on its toes.

In my view Amaechi might be trying but no way worthy of the hype that the media have bestowed on him and his govt.Their is so much more to be done and the state of roads in PH do not line up with the image of a gov who is in a hurry to develop his state.
lovely post, very objective, a few questions if i may ask, when did you relocate from portharcourt or better put how long have you been away?when did reconstruction start on that eliozu/airforce road?
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Beyond The Hype by jodeci(m): 9:49am On Jul 25, 2011
THE ELIOZU/AIRFORCE ROAD UP WHERE IT JOINED AIRPORT ROAD WAS SHABILY CONSTRUCTED BY THE PAST ADMNISTRATION.AMAECHI'S ADMNISTRATION ONLY RE AWARDED THE CONTRACT TO RCC AND IF YOU ARE FAIR,YOU WILL AGREE THAT THE QUALITY OF JOB BEING DONE IS SUPER,THE DRAINAGE SYSTEM SUPER,THE ROAD STRETCHES AS FAR AS THE STADIUM ROAD.
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Beyond The Hype by phantom(m): 10:01am On Jul 25, 2011
jodeci:

THE ELIOZU/AIRFORCE ROAD UP WHERE IT JOINED AIRPORT ROAD WAS SHABILY CONSTRUCTED BY THE PAST ADMNISTRATION.AMAECHI'S ADMNISTRATION ONLY RE AWARDED THE CONTRACT TO RCC AND IF YOU ARE FAIR,YOU WILL AGREE THAT THE QUALITY OF JOB BEING DONE IS SUPER,THE DRAINAGE SYSTEM SUPER,THE ROAD STRETCHES AS FAR AS THE STADIUM ROAD.
in fact even the grading on airforce flyover is being broken down for total reconstruction.The holdup there is terrible as we speak because cars are force to use one lane of the flyover, jodeci, remember that even the stadium road is a different contract, that place seriously needed a face lift,
eliozu/airforce road is one of the worst things odili left for us here,
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Beyond The Hype by Nobody: 10:05am On Jul 25, 2011
my joy is the peace with which i can go out and come in without anybody intimidating me.
remember when touts jump into your car demanding funny permits and registration from you and almost fighting.when they walk into your business premises asking for some funny papers and registration too many to number. when robbery was like a normal thing. when the public schools where in a laughable state or is it when public health centers where in a hazardous state.

if the op will tell himself the truth, he will know that if all the 36 states governors performed like rotimi has done ,then Nigerians abroad will be considering coming home to invest and possibly to stay
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Beyond The Hype by phantom(m): 10:09am On Jul 25, 2011
mbulela, i agree with you on NTA-choba road, that road is just pure fraud.why?because amaechi used it to settle some people during the popular "rivers money for rivers people" era and realized that it was pure folly.He has admitted making a mistake by giving contracts to his people hence the new "rivers money for everybody" grin grin grin, the same thing happened to the transkalabari highway contract he gave some kalabari sons and they eloped with the cash for which he revoked the contract,
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Beyond The Hype by phantom(m): 10:17am On Jul 25, 2011
aguiyi:

my joy is the peace with which i can go out and come in without anybody intimidating me.
remember when touts jump into your car demanding funny permits and registration from you and almost fighting.when they walk into your business premises asking for some funny papers and registration too many to number. when robbery was like a normal thing. when the public schools where in a laughable state or is it when public health centers where in a hazardous state.

if the op will tell himself the truth, he will know that if all the 36 states governors performed like rotimi has done ,then Nigerians abroad will be considering coming home to invest and possibly to stay
grin grin, before for PH i no fit comot after 9pm those days wey boyz dey use eke dey waka up and down the streets, but now night life in portharcourt is crazy!i dey flex from tuscany,rumuigbo to casablanca,gra to borokiri ,come rumuola chop isiewu, watch film for cinema anytime i want, truth is the city has come a long way from 2005/06 ,
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Beyond The Hype by mbulela: 10:27am On Jul 25, 2011
aguiyi:

did you notice the post was divided into pros and cons?
so because the other govs are performing abysmally,he has become the best thing fter sliced bread?
because he is working which is acknowledged in the post,every hype spoken about him is now to be accepted without contest?
Nigerians should come home and invest in a state with such deplorable state of roads?
are you kidding me?
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Beyond The Hype by mbulela: 10:29am On Jul 25, 2011
phantom:

grin grin, before for PH i no fit comot after 9pm those days wey boyz dey use eke dey waka up and down the streets, but now night life in portharcourt is crazy!i dey flex from tuscany,rumuigbo to casablanca,gra to borokiri ,come rumuola chop isiewu, watch film for cinema anytime i want, truth is the city has come a long way from 2005/06 ,
that bit was acknowledged in my post.but there is more to a city than being able to go out to Casablanca at nite.
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Beyond The Hype by mbulela: 10:34am On Jul 25, 2011
phantom:

thank you, lovely post, very objective, a few questions if i may ask, when did you relocate from portharcourt or better put how long have you been away?when did reconstruction start on that eliozu/airforce road?
from the airport road junction to the airforce junction part of aba road one part or the other of that stretch has been in one state of repair or the other in the last 3 years.
that OPM part had been fixed during Amaechi's tenure.also the Eliozu junction near ABC had also been fixed in the last 3 years.now the whole road is being rebuilt.
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Beyond The Hype by mbulela: 10:39am On Jul 25, 2011
aguiyi:

you are just crying more than the mourner. [b]in your haste to rubbish amaechi , you have forgotten to compare what has been achieved by his administration to that of his predecessor.[/b]what about the security situation in the state or you are not aware of that. The man stands out when compared to the like of theodore, oshiomole , silva and others so let him be
I am not rubbishing him,just pointing out that the hype is not matched by resalities on the ground.simply a verdict of after 3 and 1/2 years,done well but could and can do a whole lot better.
I would not compare him to the former administration because no one deserves such an insult.Comparing him to the former administration would be an insult to him.
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Beyond The Hype by jodeci(m): 10:48am On Jul 25, 2011
There is a massive job to be done in PHC and believe me Rotimi has the heart of leader,Some projects he is embarking on are quite capital intensive. Look at the new flyover along east west road that will link the new airport/mgbuogba/mile three.He single handedly started the dualisation of owerri portharcourt road from Omerelu,the contract was then awarded to setraco,it was until recently that ministry of Niger delta took over the contract.

Go into the villages,from isiokpo to ubima to elele to omdaeme to etche,they all have link tarred roads.

I believe it is a matter of time,when all the contracts here and there are completed that people will really appreciate the job.

igwuruta to rumuokwurushi junction by aba road is under construction,the artillery rumuodara junction is under construction.PHC generally is a massive construction site.Lets just be patient.
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Beyond The Hype by phantom(m): 10:59am On Jul 25, 2011
mbulela:

from the airport road junction to the airforce junction part of aba road one part or the other of that stretch has been in one state of repair or the other in the last 3 years.
that OPM part had been fixed during Amaechi's tenure.also the Eliozu junction near ABC had also been fixed in the last 3 years.now the whole road is being rebuilt.
TRUE, 'operation zero pothole' over the past two years kept on patching and re patching, because the govt had other road projects it was handling.you would agree with me it wouldnt be wise doing so many roads at the same time.it would worsen the already bad traffic situation.Truthfully if if you ask me the man is doing so many things at the same time, it baffles me how he manages to keep up.in 3+ years hes completed 1.rumuokwuta-choba 2.slaughter -oginigba3.elekahia-rumuomasi4.old aba road5.reconstructed ikwerre road(education to UST) in PH alone,
bori internal roads, bori-opobo link road,
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Beyond The Hype by phantom(m): 11:04am On Jul 25, 2011
i passed through ada-george yesterday, see what gitto is doing there!the drainages are done on some segments, its supposed to be a 6lane internal road.
Truth is any visitor to portharcourt now will not see much (the place is an eyesore)because its one huge construction site.by the time these projects are done nobody will tell you, grin grin
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Beyond The Hype by GAR3TH(m): 11:13am On Jul 25, 2011
I think Amaechi has done a good job in Rivers State, But I will say he has made some questionable choices while as governor.

Such as Building a new 26,000 Seat stadium for the Garden city games. He could have spent the money on rehabilitating the existing Liberation stadium [25,000] or overhaul the stadium into a 50,000 seater.

Another questionable decision is the building of the monorail system, Which is way more expensive and carries less passengers than Light rail system. Also, Port Harcourt also has a NRC rail corridor which runs through the city, in which they could have used for the light rail.

I guess rivers state has money to blow

Other than those few things he's done a great job as governor.
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Beyond The Hype by mbulela: 11:18am On Jul 25, 2011
^^^^
any word on that new road that links the airport to Mgbuoba/east west road?
it was not done by Odili o!
it is barely completed and it is already an eyesore.
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Beyond The Hype by AjanleKoko: 12:03pm On Jul 25, 2011
@Topic,
I thought I was the only one who thought so oh.
I have been in PH twice in the last two months, and I haven't seen anything that directly connotes development. I may be wrong though.
@mbulela, sent you a response to your mail.
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Beyond The Hype by phantom(m): 12:06pm On Jul 25, 2011
kai mbulela, this your criticism na die, your blood dey hot, grin grin grin, well i guess you are talking about tamdavid west road.if you know PH very well you would know the old name of that road is ada-george phase 2, when that road was being done there was outcry that it wasnt necessary doing the phase 2 where nobody lived and neglecting the phase 1 which people used everyday and was very bad so it was suspended.BUT that aside gitto graded the part close to the airport and stopped halfway i think, the rest of the road has not been given the proper finishing.The part near mgbuoba is finished on one lane and that lane sealed off to traffic.the other lane is being used.  
i think the plane is to finsh the flyover,do the phase 1 and complete the road as one long stretch from the airport to UST,
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Beyond The Hype by phantom(m): 12:13pm On Jul 25, 2011
GAR3TH:

I think Amaechi has done a good job in Rivers State, But I will say he has made some questionable choices while as governor.

Such as Building a new 26,000 Seat stadium for the Garden city games. He could have spent the money on rehabilitating the existing Liberation stadium [25,000] or overhaul the stadium into a 50,000 seater.

Another questionable decision is the building of the monorail system, Which is way more expensive and carries less passengers than Light rail system. Also, Port Harcourt also has a NRC rail corridor which runs through the city, in which they could have used for the light rail.

I guess rivers state has money to blow

Other than those few things he's done a great job as governor.

i found those very questionable too, but i think his plan was to make the games village(not just a stadium) together with the state university "focal points"for development for greater PH, but it makes no sense to me.it would have been better to do infrastructure for a massive industrial layout with a dedicated power supply and court manufacturers/investors/industries, as for the monorail,i have my doubts,
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Beyond The Hype by Mobinga: 12:19pm On Jul 25, 2011
- the revamped Industrial road,Okinigba. the revamped Old Aba road and Elekahia road.

This road has always been good.

on the negative side

- the state of roads in Port Harcourt and its environs are criminal,unacceptable and a shame to any decent individual.Where do i start from?The Eliozu/Airforce road has been in one state of construction or the other for the past 3 and 1/2 years.How can you repair such a small stretch of road for that long?
The road is not a small stretch. The road was actually completed a year ago. Rotimi during inspection after the road was completed, ordered for an addition of new lanes. It wasn't what they initially planed, why he didn't notice while the road was being done is beyond me.  

The quality of road constructions in the state is very poor.it is either the contractors are substandard or the supervisors (state ministry of works) are compromised.driving from the airport through Eneka to rumukurushe is a nightmare.the roads are completely unusable and drivers have to drive through villages where roads are even non existent.The east west road is a federal road,so we will not even go there.the new road that was has not even been comissioned (i think) that runs from the airport to mgbuoba axis is virtually unusable.
Agree, even after the demolition hype.

Agree, its atrocious

Never been there.

if you know how small Port Harcourt  is you will realise that with the state of the roads i have mentioned and a few others i have ignored,the city and its environs are in a permanent state of gridlock 24/7.Talk to people in PH and they are in a constant state of angst and irritation.

Past WHAT!! This is absolutely false. That area has witnessed massive change within the past 2 years let alone 4! haba na.

No residents of Lekki have been watching too much Al Jazeera.

+1 Areas that were demolished 3 years ago have been left untouched up till this date. I pray it remains same so a new Government can return forcefully taken property.
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Beyond The Hype by Kobojunkie: 12:28pm On Jul 25, 2011
aguiyi:

Why does one need to do that? I mean the state most likely gets more allocations now than when his predecessor was there, and the laws in the country are probably more lapse than it was under the previous administration (most likely allowing the governors use more of the money and freedoms for the greater good now) so, why does one need to compare the present to the past when all Governors get to, sort of start out on a clean slate, let's say, when they are they elected. They are not mandated in anyway to continue from where the last stopped,
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Beyond The Hype by phantom(m): 12:35pm On Jul 25, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Why does one need to do that? I mean the state most likely gets more allocations now than when his predecessor was there, and the laws in the country are probably more lapse than it was under the previous administration (most likely allowing the governors use more of the money and freedoms for the greater good now) so, why does one need to compare the present to the past when all Governors get to, sort of start out on a clean slate, let's say, when they are they elected. They are not mandated in anyway to continue from where the last stopped,
makes sense, but i dont think amaechi gets up three quaters what odili got
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Beyond The Hype by Kobojunkie: 12:37pm On Jul 25, 2011
phantom:

I think you should re-check that. Regardless I think the fact that they can as well overhaul the efforts of the former and build as they choose, there is absolutely no need to compare the present with the old in Nigeria. We need to simply measure the output against input t determine if progress is being made, because continuing to measure against old failure means we will likely remain here for longer.
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Beyond The Hype by Maximip(m): 12:38pm On Jul 25, 2011
@mbulela

you are very right! with the amount of money Rivers State has, there's a lot
to be desired.

Some of the projects he carried out may need to be redone in the near
future. esp. roads.
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Beyond The Hype by Mobinga: 12:41pm On Jul 25, 2011
phantom:

This is correct. No need to re-check. Odili was a mad man.
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Beyond The Hype by phantom(m): 12:45pm On Jul 25, 2011
Maximip:

@mbulela

you are very right! with the amount of money Rivers State has, there's a lot
to be desired.

Some of the projects he carried out may need to be redone in the near
future. esp. roads.
when people keep saying "with the amount of money rivers state gets,it should look like dubai", i laugh.Do you know it takes 3 times more to construct a road here than in other parts of the country?do you know the terrain here is very bad?that is why the governor is emphasising on drainages now because our roads can never last without good ones, Maxim please tell me apart from NTA choba road, which other roads do you think needs to be or will be redone?
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Beyond The Hype by EkoIle1: 12:52pm On Jul 25, 2011
The only disconnect I see here is the fact that this man's budget (over 414 Billion for 2011/429 billion for last year) with just 5 million people and way way less responsibilities than Lagos state is the same or higher than Lagos state's with 18 million people and greater responsibilities and we've all seen what both states getting with all that money.

With that kind of money, Rivers with just 5 million people and meager responsibilities really should be looking like Dubai, somebody is acting funny with all that money. What hole or pocket is all that money heading into?
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Beyond The Hype by Vavavoom(m): 12:56pm On Jul 25, 2011
The OP has a fair assessment on Amaechi's performance. The problem has and seems to be our bojuboju approach of doing things.
Amaechi seems to have good intentions but like all padimen can hardly run away from friends who have helped made him - that is his bane. People, friends, relatives, associates, indigenes have been given jobs for which they hardly have any capacity to execute. So standards even when clearly started in issued contracts were not followed, na case of give us food make we chop grin especially on some of the roads being executed. But compared to Odili the monitoring of projects and revocation after realisation has been markedly improved.

If all the roads under reconstruction turn out like the schools and health centres then he would have met the expectation of many. As a tax-paying citizen I expect to drive on good roads and when the standard under which such roads are constructed appears not to have phase-timelines and continue to linger after years then there's every justification for questioning. He expects our praise for the schools and helath centres, and rightly so we have especially knowing where we are coming from but to say one shouldn't criticize aspects of his work because of the performance of close-by inept governors that is folly and unacceptable.

All Mbulela seeks to and has done is keep Amaechi on his toes, those who are advocates of RA should take both the praise and consider the constrcutive criticism as part as a tool for improving life.
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Beyond The Hype by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jul 25, 2011
@poster, inasmuch as, i don't agree with all of what you have said, i would say 75 percent, of what you have said, even if, it's hard to admit, is true. I am currently in port-harcourt, and i have lived there all my life. Sometimes, you wish you could compare the new roads to the type of roads, you see in akwa-ibom. But that's not 2 be.the mgbouba/choba road doesn't look, like a new road at all, i blame the contractor and not the government though. The truth is, you can't compare a road done by julius berger(as in the case of akwa-ibom) to a road done by lebanese people.but not to take the shine from ameachi, i would give him 75percent, if you knw where we are coming from and the dark days of odili. Ameachi has really done a good job in rivers state, no doubt about that, and he merits the hype, but there is still alot, 4 him to do.
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Beyond The Hype by samstels: 1:02pm On Jul 25, 2011
Gents/Ladies,
I think the writer must have visited port harcourt this past weekend.He tried in his analysis of the works of Rotimi Amaechi.

I live in port harcourt but do my biusinesses outside the town .I think on the average the governor has tried but i will score him very low in road maintenance .Quite good he is opening up new roads but as this goes on he should be able to maintain the existing old roads.Yes,someone may argue that the roads in question are federal roads but they are inland roads that connects one part of the city to the other.E.g.coming from warri to port harcort ,from choba to eleme junction is nightmare.also coming from omagwa to igwurita etche road intersection is a write off.Along eneka road precisely by elimbgu police station is terrible,better assume there is no road there.It took me 5 hours from tank at rumuokwurusi junction to airport ,which naturally is less than 20 minutes on a good day .If all the roads are fully opened ,phc will be an interesting place to live and do business but presently it is a nightmare .I imagine the man hour and resources wasted on the road in traffic on daily basis ,its enormous .Rotimi Amaechi should urgently put in place a scheme that will be maintaining these roads till the new roads under construction are finished.If not the phc citizens will continue to suffer this issue of bad road .
No doubt the young man has really shown an example of how development should be but it seems he has slowed sown drastically after his re-election ,we all know that the rains are also there but at least something can be done to cushion the heavy trauma people pass through on daily basis in  port harcourt .

Areas that need urgent attention :

1.Eliozu junction by ABC bus terminal  the four shoulders of the road .
2.Rumuodara by east west road up to tank at rumuokwurusi.
3.Elimgbu to eneka ( in front of the police station precisely and upwards )
4.Igwurita by etche junction coming from eneka to airport
5.Igbo ecthe road junction by eleme .junction .
6.Artillery junction by okporo road along aba road .
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Beyond The Hype by Mobinga: 1:06pm On Jul 25, 2011
Vavavoom:

The OP has a fair assessment on Amaechi's performance. The problem has and seems to be our bojuboju approach of doing things.
Amaechi seems to have good intentions but like all padimen can hardly run away from friends who have helped made him - that is his bane. People, friends, relatives, associates, indigenes have been given jobs for which they hardly have any capacity to execute. So standards even when clearly started in issued contracts were not followed, na case of give us food make we chop grin especially on some of the roads being executed. But compared to Odili the monitoring of projects and revocation after realisation has been markedly improved.

If all the roads under reconstruction turn out like the schools and health centres then he would have met the expectation of many. As a tax-paying citizen I expect to drive on good roads and when the standard under which such roads are constructed appears not to have phase-timelines and continue to linger after years then there's every justification for questioning. He expects our praise for the schools and helath centres, and rightly so we have especially knowing where we are coming from but to say one shouldn't criticize aspects of his work because of the performance of close-by inept governors that is folly and unacceptable.

All Mbulela seeks to and has done is keep Amaechi on his toes, those who are advocates of RA should take both the praise and consider the constrcutive criticism as part as a tool for improving life.

Padiman! Na so na. Chop I chop

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Some Beautiful Photos Of Anambra State And Some Political Establishments / Inter-ocean Oil: FG Relieved Of $1.5 Billion Liability, Gains $660,000 / "Nigeria's Budget Is Intact With Clerk Of The House Of Reps." - Yakubu Dogara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.