Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,280 members, 7,818,938 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:40 AM

Ghana Protests Over Inflation - Foreign Affairs (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ghana Protests Over Inflation (39910 Views)

Argentina Approves High Denomination Bill As Inflation Nears 100% / Protest Over Inflation, Bank Of England; Worst Is Yet To Come / Protests In Togo Against 50-Year Ruling Gnassingbe Dynasty Turn Bloody (Graphic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ghana Protests Over Inflation by GeneralDae: 8:38pm On Jul 05, 2022
Jamersirwin1971:

Everything you wrote was on point till you mentioned Nigeria giving Ghana Electricity. That’s false . Ghana has its own dam and Nitro electricity . Their dam has been in existence before they got independence . And till now is functioning . It’s has been fully privatized to American companies where every 5 years they
New companies re-bid . Maybe you read more on Akosombo dam . Then you will know more .

I think what people confuse with this Nigeria supplied Ghana electricity theory is that Nigeria supplied Ghana gas which was also crucial at one point to their electricity generation. Nigeria rather supplied only the likes of Niger, Togo, and Benin direct electricity. With Niger it's a business arrangement and a necessary one at that.

1 Like

Re: Ghana Protests Over Inflation by FreeStuffsNG: 8:47pm On Jul 05, 2022
Jamersirwin1971:

Everything you wrote was on point till you mentioned Nigeria giving Ghana Electricity. That’s false . Ghana has its own dam and Nitro electricity . Their dam has been in existence before they got independence . And till now is functioning . It’s has been fully privatized to American companies where every 5 years they
New companies re-bid . Maybe you read more on Akosombo dam . Then you will know more .

Gas power for their electricity is provided by Nigeria sir. Nigeria is the backbone of
Ghana's electricity power sir.
https://www.reuters.com/article/ghana-nigeria-gas-idUSL8N12K3NZ20151020

3 Likes

Re: Ghana Protests Over Inflation by Wizzzzmike: 8:53pm On Jul 05, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:

Gas power for their electricity is provided by Nigeria sir. Nigeria is the backbone of
Ghana's electricity power sir.
https://www.reuters.com/article/ghana-nigeria-gas-idUSL8N12K3NZ20151020

So in ur case if u buy food from a fast food joint, does it mean the fast food joint feeds you and probably ur family?
Re: Ghana Protests Over Inflation by FreeStuffsNG: 9:05pm On Jul 05, 2022
Wizzzzmike:

So in ur case if u buy food from a fast food joint, does it mean the fast food joint feeds you and probably ur family?
Never mind since you do not understand that form of export of energy in technical terms.

Let me break it down for you before you confuse it for food.

When you develop a gas power station, both the plant and gas feed are a unit in this case because pipes will be laid and connected to it from Nigeria. The power station and the gas feed are regarded as a single energy project because you do not build a gas power station without a gas pipeline to feed it.

The NGaz from Nigeria feeds gas power plant in Ghana and constitite part of the energy Ghana imports from outside. That is why when Nigeria threatened to switch it off, it is not really the gas switched off, it is the energy from the plant that is switched off.

Please read up on it. I am not referrring to cooking gas sold in cylinders for cooking that you can easily switch from one gas cylinder to another since you compared it to food.

I know it is too technical but no vex that I can't break it down further especially the costing part.

No vex as I may not reply you again sir.
Re: Ghana Protests Over Inflation by erty6334(m): 9:30pm On Jul 05, 2022
[quote author=Quintopia post=114338728]

Things are far cheaper in Nigeria than in Ghana dude.

You need to see how expensive things are in Ghana now, even food.

Boys are not smiling there at all.

100% true
Re: Ghana Protests Over Inflation by poweredcom(m): 9:48pm On Jul 05, 2022
kingthreat:

That hell is what over 200 million people are living in. If you're living in Nigeria and you consider the country hell, I advice you jump into the nearest deep body of water to ease the fire.

Guy STFU Nigeria is hell, upon our natural resources what can we boast for it

It pays me to be In Ghana and be peaceful and secure than. This country that have been overtaken by kidnappers and all negative vices
Re: Ghana Protests Over Inflation by yongg: 10:14pm On Jul 05, 2022
Subsidywise20:

The problem with subsidy is the nature of the beast.

Here is how subsidy works. Because of changes in the price of crude oil, the price of petrol , normally, changes as a result. If crude oil prices are high, petrol prices rise, and if they are low, petrol prices fall as well.

Subsidy means that the government sets the price of petrol...and pays money to the petroleum sector called a subsidy. This subsidy roughly speaking covers the resulting loss made in keeping prices low.

Problem is, as the price of crude rises, so does the cost of the subsidy. Last year, landing cost of crude was N231, oil was at 80 dollars a barrel. Now it is over N700, oil is at 120 dollars a barrel. Meanwhile price of petrol at the pump is at N165 since 2020. As you can see, we have gone from paying less than N200 per liter as subsidy to N600 per liter as subsidy in one year. (Thanks to Russia and Nato).

And over the last seven years, we had to take loans galore because oil revenues were too low for our population. So, we have a heavy debt service burden ..ie paying off the loans. Meanwhile any extra money is going into the subsidy...and it is going in at a very high rate...to the point that NNPC can no longer remit funds to the government, after debts and subsidy costs have been paid.

Guess where they would turn to get the money for subsidy? Other sectors of the budget...and when they run out...another round of loans.

That's why subsidy has to go. It costs too much to feed it. GEJ did not save enough because he was feeding the subsidy monster. At worst there would be a period of high prices...but the value of the naira would improve somewhat, and when domestic refining gets better as a result....we may earn more income. It does not mean we would achieve economic prosperity, but we would be better off than we are now eventually.

In addition to that, I hear that vested interests in the petroleum/oil business inflate the volume of oil sold to draw more money than they out to in subsidy payment.

Regulation, monitoring and enforcement is a problem in this country... We need actionable checks and balances embedded in a SYSTEM. SYSTEMs are independent of governments of the day. The objectives are clear and technocratic in nature, result based.
Re: Ghana Protests Over Inflation by yongg: 10:18pm On Jul 05, 2022
Subsidywise20:

The problem with subsidy is the nature of the beast.

Here is how subsidy works. Because of changes in the price of crude oil, the price of petrol , normally, changes as a result. If crude oil prices are high, petrol prices rise, and if they are low, petrol prices fall as well.

Subsidy means that the government sets the price of petrol...and pays money to the petroleum sector called a subsidy. This subsidy roughly speaking covers the resulting loss made in keeping prices low.

Problem is, as the price of crude rises, so does the cost of the subsidy. Last year, landing cost of crude was N231, oil was at 80 dollars a barrel. Now it is over N700, oil is at 120 dollars a barrel. Meanwhile price of petrol at the pump is at N165 since 2020. As you can see, we have gone from paying less than N200 per liter as subsidy to N600 per liter as subsidy in one year. (Thanks to Russia and Nato).

And over the last seven years, we had to take loans galore because oil revenues were too low for our population. So, we have a heavy debt service burden ..ie paying off the loans. Meanwhile any extra money is going into the subsidy...and it is going in at a very high rate...to the point that NNPC can no longer remit funds to the government, after debts and subsidy costs have been paid.

Guess where they would turn to get the money for subsidy? Other sectors of the budget...and when they run out...another round of loans.

That's why subsidy has to go. It costs too much to feed it. GEJ did not save enough because he was feeding the subsidy monster. At worst there would be a period of high prices...but the value of the naira would improve somewhat, and when domestic refining gets better as a result....we may earn more income. It does not mean we would achieve economic prosperity, but we would be better off than we are now eventually.

In addition to that, I hear that vested interest in the petroleum/oil business inflate the volume of oil sold to draw more money than they out to in subsidy payment.

Regulation, monitoring and enforcement is a problem in this country... We need actionable checks and balances embedded in a SYSTEM. SYSTEMs are independent of governments of the day. The objectives are clear and technocratic in nature, result based.

Removing subsidy will also remove that mode of siphoning money from FG for free buy ensuring that the population pay the true price of oil and automatically there's a check and balance for the true quantity that population consumes because that payment would be made at the point of sale.

That's a step...

We can crash the price further by managing leakages by whatever mode... Vandalism, theft, etc

Population will enjoy a better pricing...

Then the main price crasher will be to grow home based refining from the crude oil level at mining to finished product stages. It still beats me how a country will sell crude for pennies on the dollar and allow itself get affected by pricing by countries who refining crude and get not just gas/petrol but AT LEAST 17 factions from crude oil.(17 because that was what that Ababio Chemistry Textbook quoted as at 2004, so by now research in that area and material science would reveal other useful factions obtainable from crude oil)

Thinking about it...

Wax
Paraffin,
Wax,
Coal tar,
Bitumen,
Ashpalt,
Plastics,
Petroleum Jelly,
Gas,
Diesel,
Kerosine,
Gasoline...etc

The prices of all those among the 17 factions are directly affected right from the selling stage of crude... Meanwhile we make so much fuss about
oil, diesel and aviation fuel because they seem the most conspicuous demand, meanwhile just by manufacturing and acing the process right at home several big industries all at once can get huge relief from artificial additional costs of these things.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ghana Protests Over Inflation by PetroDolla2020: 10:55pm On Jul 05, 2022
Where do you think I’m writing this from? For your information, I’m here in Ghana. Are yiu claiming to know more than me who lives here?

sunbreaker:
who is telling lie? You don't have manner of approach. Please I don't come here to argue with anybody ,I had been there before and i know what I'm saying. You only heard your news on social media or third parties relative. Then, if you say 2000 Ghana cedis is more than #200,000 I realised you don't know what you are saying but to clear your ignorance (2000 Ghana cedis is #103,000 as at today 5/7/2022. I think this will educate you more.
Re: Ghana Protests Over Inflation by PetroDolla2020: 11:02pm On Jul 05, 2022
Are you aware that Ghana has enough locally produced natural gas and can afford to do without gas supplies from Nigeria? The only reason Ghana still receives a minimal amount of gas from Nigeria is simply because the gas supply contract is a long-term contract and Ghana is obligated to import gas from Nigeria, whether they need it or not? Get educated on this matter, huh?

FreeStuffsNG:
Never mind since you do not understand that form of export of energy in technical terms.

When you develop a gas power station, both the plant and gas feed are a unit in this case because pipes will be laid and connected to it from Nigeria. The power station and the gas feed are regarded as a single energy project because you do not build a gas power station without a gas pipeline to feed it.

The NGaz from Nigeria feeds gas power plant in Ghana and constitite part of the energy Ghana imports from outside. That is why when Nigeria threatened to switch it off, it is not really the gas switched off, it is the energy from the plant that is switched off.

Please read up on it. I am not referrring to cooking gas sold in cylinders for cooking that you can easily switch from one gas cylinder to another since you compared it to food.

I know it is too technical but no vex that I can't break it down further especially the costing part.

Re: Ghana Protests Over Inflation by kumulus(m): 11:18pm On Jul 05, 2022
GeneralDae:

No but every business, job, or form of trading ( no matter how little), should be taxed with percentages depending on the job

That’s right, I don’t object to businesses getting taxed. Everyone who transacts and earns an income/revenue indeed would be doing a great good by contributing to the development of the nation.

My concern is that focus should be placed on creating an enabling environment where those taxes will come from, the average Nigerian today pays so damn much ivy means on over inflated prices and needless levies that doesn’t go into inclusive nation building.

Take the transportation duties, levies and fees paid for instance, what percentage of the total revenue gets remitted to the nation’s purse at the end of the day. I grew up in Lagos and I know very well how much transporters pay to ticketing officials at parks and on the road, who bears the brunt, same low earning citizen and the less fortunate unemployed.

Oyinbos do it, yes but the benefits are there to enjoy so you wouldn’t even want to complain.

We need candidates with crystal clear blueprints on how they intend to revamp the dying nation. From what I’ve observed most people are choosing their candidates on the basis of tribalistic and ethno-religious biases. We need to move beyond this level of politics to move forward, if we can copy oyinbos on tax matters how about we do same on the electoral process. We need these candidates to come out in the open and debate their positions.

Enough of this 1980 styled rallies we call campaigns where people only gather for the pomp and merrymaking. We need quality policy makers and not political gamers.

1 Like

Re: Ghana Protests Over Inflation by Blackdisciple(m): 11:19pm On Jul 05, 2022
Wow nice one something Nigerians are scared of ...
Re: Ghana Protests Over Inflation by kumulus(m): 11:21pm On Jul 05, 2022
SeaTrade:
Look, I don't know who you think you're talking to.
But please,if you want us to discuss,keep your manners in check.
Cheers.

Respectfully sir/ma, I do not know you and honestly do not understand why you feel disrespected by my asking for an answer to a question. However, I would indulge your counsel in this matter.
Re: Ghana Protests Over Inflation by sunbreaker: 5:50am On Jul 06, 2022
PetroDolla2020:
Where do you think I’m writing this from? For your information, I’m here in Ghana. Are yiu claiming to know more than me who lives here?

Mr. Man which part of Ghana you are if its close to my area. I want to meet in person
Re: Ghana Protests Over Inflation by kingthreat(m): 7:25am On Jul 06, 2022
poweredcom:

Guy STFU Nigeria is hell, upon our natural resources what can we boast for it

It pays me to be In Ghana and be peaceful and secure than. This country that have been overtaken by kidnappers and all negative vices

Unpatriotic scums should please cease me in their mentions.

1 Like

Re: Ghana Protests Over Inflation by Datrava(m): 8:29am On Jul 06, 2022
LAND RIG HIRE REQUEST

2500-3000HP Land rig is currently needed for hire.

please contact: +234-703-019-7525

#landrig #hire #nigeria #oilandgas

yongg:

In addition to that, I hear that vested interest in the petroleum/oil business inflate the volume of oil sold to draw more money than they out to in subsidy payment.

Removing subsidy will also remove that mode of siphoning money from FG for free buy ensuring that the population pay the true price of oil and automatically there's a check and balance for the true quantity that population consumes because that payment was made a point of sale.

That's a step...

We can crash the price further by managing leakages by whatever mode... Vandalism, theft, etc

Population will enjoy a better price...

Then the main price crasher will be to growing home based refining from the crude oil level at minning to finished product stages. It still beats me how a country will sell crude for pennies on the dollar and allow itself get affected by pricing by countries who refining crude and get not just gas/petrol but AT LEAST 17 faction from crude oil.(17 because that was what that Ababio Chemistry Textbook quoted, so by now research in that area and material science would reveal other useful factions obtainable from crude oil)

Thinking about it...

Wax
Paraffin,
Wax,
Coal tar,
Bitumen,
Ashpalt,
Plastics,
Petroleum Jelly,
Gas,
Diesel,
Kerosine,
Gasoline...etc

The prices of all those among the 17 factions are directly affected right from the selling stage of crude... Meanwhile we make so much fuss about
oil, diesel and aviation fuel because the seem the most conspicuous demand, meanwhile just by manufacturing and acing the process right at home several big industries all at once can get huge relief from artificial additional costs of these things.
Re: Ghana Protests Over Inflation by AlphaTaikun: 8:59am On Jul 06, 2022
Quintopia:
Crisis-hit Ghana Changes Its Mind and Turns to IMF for Help

- Ghana had previously refused to seek IMF help
- Hundreds protested in the capital over economic woes
- IMF says ready to support, will start talks soon
- Ghana's dollar-denominated sovereign bonds rally sharply

ACCRA, July 1 (Reuters) - Ghana, one of West Africa's largest economies, will hold formal talks with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) on a support package, the government said on Friday, after hundreds took to the streets to protest against mounting hardship.

The cabinet gave its support for the decision at a meeting on Thursday, following a phone conversation between President Nana Akufo-Addo and IMF Managing Director Kristalina Georgieva.

Ghana, a gold, cocoa and oil producer, has until now refused to seek IMF support to rescue an economy crippled by the pandemic, rampant inflation and a depreciating currency, despite analysts warning it is close to a debt crisis..

The IMF confirmed Ghana's request for help and said it would start discussions with authorities in the coming weeks....

https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/crisis-hit-ghana-changes-its-mind-turns-imf-help-2022-07-01/
Ghana's 27.6% inflation is very huge!

As of the last economic data release, it was 27.6% inflation.

Conversely, Prof. Steve Hanke, renowned international economist at the Johns Hopkins University, USA stated that he measures inflation in Ghana to a stunning 49.35%/year:
=> https://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/IMF-loan-won-t-save-Ghana-s-economy-Renowned-US-economist-1574450

The global economic headwinds have already kicked in and social unrests from continent to continent would be the order of the day!
There would be some regime changes as well. This is part of the economic cycles that occur before things normalise again.

Only those who have imbibed the lessons of creative innovation and financial sagacity from past global economic downturns and country-specific recessions will survive with near-absolute comfort.

Period!
Re: Ghana Protests Over Inflation by GeneralDae: 9:16am On Jul 06, 2022
AlphaTaikun:

Ghana's 50% inflation is very huge!

The global economic headwinds
have already kicked in!

Only those who have imbibed the lessons of creative innovation and financial sagacity from past global economic downturns and country-specific recessions will survive with near-absolute comfort.

Period!
Is it 50% inflation in Ghana or 27%??

1 Like

Re: Ghana Protests Over Inflation by FoolishBoy419: 9:44am On Jul 06, 2022
Subsidywise20:

Same to you.

P.S : I have no candidate, but I don't want to see LP,PDP, APC, NNPP or SDP in power again.
PPS I stand by my post. I am tired of hearing candidates like your Obi and their Tinubu and Atiku who bring in vague promises, no specifics. You want a strong naira, YET, ye do not tell us how you would do it.

I wish I could like this a thousand times. I just shake my head when I see these clowns rooting for these recycled bastards.

1 Like

Re: Ghana Protests Over Inflation by JustJennifer: 9:48am On Jul 06, 2022
In this video I will show you how to link your Deriv Account to Metatrader5-Easy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvQ1WxLTtaI

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ghana Protests Over Inflation by AlphaTaikun: 10:02am On Jul 06, 2022
GeneralDae:

Is it 50% inflation in Ghana or 27%??
@GeneralDae, thanks for the heads up.

As of the last economic data release, it was 27.6% inflation.
=> https://tradingeconomics.com/ghana/inflation-rate-mom
=> https://nairametrics.com/2022/06/09/despite-the-hawkish-stance-ghanas-inflation-surges-18-year-peak-above-27-in-may-2022/

However the OP posted a link on another thread which I had originally read which made reference to 50%, hence my reference to 50% in my post that you quoted. Prof. Steve Hanke, renowned international economist at the Johns Hopkins University, USA stated that he measures inflation in Ghana to a stunning 49.35%/year
:

IMF loan won't save Ghana's economy - Renowned US economist
=> https://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/IMF-loan-won-t-save-Ghana-s-economy-Renowned-US-economist-1574450

Cheers!

1 Share

Re: Ghana Protests Over Inflation by Wizzzzmike: 11:01am On Jul 06, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:

Lol it's simple Nigeria does not supply Ghana with a kilowatt of electricity. How can you supply something u don't have lol
Re: Ghana Protests Over Inflation by AlphaTaikun: 12:11pm On Jul 06, 2022
Quintopia:
A dramatic economic downturn in Ghana is turning the once-peaceful nation into a hotbed of furious mass discontent, and angry demonstrations over rising prices and rising unemployment, among other issues.

Ghanaians are now emigrating in droves, with Nigeria, the regional economic powerhouse, a favoured destination for many of them.

See full report from Al Jazeera:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/6/29/protests-over-economic-woes-enter-second-day-in-ghana
Re: Ghana Protests Over Inflation by Mayor36: 2:16pm On Jul 06, 2022
Hit the streets like this in Lagos, Nigeria and watch a Police Force you wouldn't see on a normal day come out to shoot tear gas and bullets at protesters.
Re: Ghana Protests Over Inflation by galantjoe(m): 11:05pm On Jul 07, 2022
GeneralDae:

But your Obj, Gej, and Yaradua also failed in terms of infrastructure like Electricity, Trains, Gas Infrastructure (except for Obj to a small extent). If they had invested in all these, we would be feeling the effects by now.
Also your Obj sold too many Government enterprises that are not fruitful today all in the name of privatisation.

Nobody is perfect, so also no govt has all solutions to a nation building.

Let me dissect the regime of Obj, Obj came immediately after military handover, alot of things were not in place, huge debts, declining value of naira, poor forex reserves, bad international image, etc. He had to build institutions like EFCC, ICPC, BPI, etc to better Nigeria image externally. This also made our Naira to improve withing that period.

But in Buhari govt, no technocrats are appointed into key positions. Even CBN governor, that supose to be most professional in his conduct, bought nomination Form to contest for president without resigning his position as CBN gov. This is clear against the principle of nonpartisan of any civil servant or public servant

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

20 Countries That Owe US Money / Russia Launches 80 Hypersonic Missiles Against Ukraine / At Least 3 Dead In Snowy Pileup Of Dozens Of Vehicles In Pennsylvania, Usa(Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.