Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,529 members, 7,819,904 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:10 AM

White Canadian Man Defrauds 515 Nigerians, Others Of $29 Million (pics) - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / White Canadian Man Defrauds 515 Nigerians, Others Of $29 Million (pics) (67416 Views)

Nigerian Man Defrauds Several US Banks After Presenting Himself As Yoruba Deity / Man Defrauds US-Based Online Girlfriend With The Help Of A Lady And Another Man / Nigerian Man Defrauds Red Cross By Claiming To Be A Hurricane Victim (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: White Canadian Man Defrauds 515 Nigerians, Others Of $29 Million (pics) by rhames(m): 10:08pm On Jul 04, 2022
Highlandgee:
Case of bushmeat catching the hunter? grin

Revenge of the Ninja
Re: White Canadian Man Defrauds 515 Nigerians, Others Of $29 Million (pics) by mediclife1987(m): 10:08pm On Jul 04, 2022
Newphiligeek123:
Charles DeBono, a 63-year-old Barrie, Ontario man who defrauded hundreds of investors out of millions of dollars will have to pay back $26.9 million in restitution after he was handed a seven-year sentence today.

Approximately 515 people, mostly from Nigeria but also in Canada lost a combined $29 million, leading some to lose their life savings and retirement incomes between 2012 and 2017.

The Nigerian Victims
They did their due diligence and looked into the business opportunity before investing. They lived in Nigeria and found nothing — no red flags, no bad history, no indication of what actually lay ahead.

In the end, the Nigerian investors lost thousands of dollars in what they later learned was one of Ontario’s largest frauds.
An investor from Nigeria told the Canadian police how he lost US$80,000— money he had earned investing in the petroleum sector.

'For me, I didn’t expect this type of thing to happen in Canada. It’s a developed country,' “I checked everything. In fact, it took me one year before deciding,” he declared at the Barrie, Ontario courthouse. “I was asking people, checking.” Even the online reviews, he recalled, were very good.

Other colleagues in Nigeria had also invested. He said there were a lot of investors from Nigeria.

The Nigerian man believes that some of the early investors recovered their money in full — which would explain the positive online reviews that, at the time, encouraged others to throw their money DeBono’s way.

The Fraudster
DeBono sold fake investments in a point-of-sale terminal ownership program in what police said was nothing more than a Ponzi scheme.
When banks started shutting him down in 2017, he fled to the Dominican Republic with millions of dollars as well as hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of cars and other assets.

The Barrie man had no criminal record and held regular middle-class jobs, including in the local used car industry, before creating KIS Media Ventures in 2012, which served as an umbrella organization for illicit companies, including Debit Direct and Business Partners Ventures Inc.

Using fake brochures and elaborate sales messages, DeBono used sales agents and sold his scheme on websites and at trade and franchise shows across the country, according to an agreed-upon statement of facts filed with the court.

Those recruited to sell believed they were selling a legitimate business opportunity. The point-of-sale terminals were to be placed in high-volume businesses across Canada and the investors were to receive 15 cents per transaction in monthly payouts.

Once he secured clients who thought they were investing in the machines, he sent them monthly financial statements and even dividend cheques in the early days.

However, the returns on the terminals were actually being funded by new investor deposits.

Crown prosecutor Ted Ofiara earlier told the court there was no evidence that any machines were ever placed in businesses and likely the only scanning machines linked to DeBono were the ones he displayed to sell that became a Ponzi scheme.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/AfrotimesNewspaper/photos/a.119381757440035/133997795978431/
Afrotimes Newspaper

Cowrywise just dey fear me I swear...
Re: White Canadian Man Defrauds 515 Nigerians, Others Of $29 Million (pics) by izubext007: 10:15pm On Jul 04, 2022
If white men begin do Yahoo, problem go dey ooooh
Re: White Canadian Man Defrauds 515 Nigerians, Others Of $29 Million (pics) by ImoleNaija: 10:15pm On Jul 04, 2022
VeryWickedMan:
Ojoro cancel

This reminds me of childhood days grin grin
Re: White Canadian Man Defrauds 515 Nigerians, Others Of $29 Million (pics) by Natbrowny: 10:17pm On Jul 04, 2022
Amalekki:
Nice one.

First Half
Canada 515 Nigeria 24

Reading comments frm Nigerians about them not expecting such in Canada shows some Nigerians no really well.

So scam cant exist in a working system economy abi.

2 Likes

Re: White Canadian Man Defrauds 515 Nigerians, Others Of $29 Million (pics) by Pakman: 10:28pm On Jul 04, 2022
Fraud is not race specific. Anybody can defraud anybody. The world is a jungle, eat or be eaten.

2 Likes

Re: White Canadian Man Defrauds 515 Nigerians, Others Of $29 Million (pics) by Kaiser20: 10:30pm On Jul 04, 2022
Charles DeBono is the real Jagaban Barrie
Re: White Canadian Man Defrauds 515 Nigerians, Others Of $29 Million (pics) by Tb222(m): 10:30pm On Jul 04, 2022
Yahoo and scam pays no one , God sees all.
Re: White Canadian Man Defrauds 515 Nigerians, Others Of $29 Million (pics) by eagleu: 10:30pm On Jul 04, 2022
I sorry for that 21 year old unemployed youth with a laptop who doesn't even what 'American Wonder' means.

1 Like

Re: White Canadian Man Defrauds 515 Nigerians, Others Of $29 Million (pics) by Proudlyomonna: 10:34pm On Jul 04, 2022
VeryWickedMan:
Ojoro cancel

grin grin grin grin gbamsolutely things on point abi grin cheesy grin grin

Re: White Canadian Man Defrauds 515 Nigerians, Others Of $29 Million (pics) by PAQ(m): 10:35pm On Jul 04, 2022
Lol. A good example of turn by turn. Hardship is reaching all corners of the earth. The moment these whites decide to go into yahoo yahoo, we are finished. What we are doing to them is childs play

1 Like

Re: White Canadian Man Defrauds 515 Nigerians, Others Of $29 Million (pics) by InvertedHammer: 10:35pm On Jul 04, 2022
Oxala:

Turns out Nigeria doesn't have monopoly of fraud afterall cheesy

But wait a minute the guy looks mixed...he might actually be one of us by ancestry
/
Monopoly? How?

Nigerians are the most gullible people in the world. If you cannot scam Nigerians, you can never scam anyone.

Think about how many Ponzi schemes have cleaned up Nigerians in recent times.

As we speak, some are still going through that process. Some people are still paying tithes too. Oh well...

/

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: White Canadian Man Defrauds 515 Nigerians, Others Of $29 Million (pics) by 15ssDRIVE(m): 10:39pm On Jul 04, 2022
EFCC should request for extradition….
Re: White Canadian Man Defrauds 515 Nigerians, Others Of $29 Million (pics) by kingmsookwagh(m): 10:49pm On Jul 04, 2022
Bush meat don catch Hunter....
Re: White Canadian Man Defrauds 515 Nigerians, Others Of $29 Million (pics) by DroppingLiquid: 10:50pm On Jul 04, 2022
Daddyyin:
Those guys are smarter than Nigerians when it comes to scamming. Nigerians are just too loud

Very loud and dull. White people never get our time, else we go dey cry dey beg.
Re: White Canadian Man Defrauds 515 Nigerians, Others Of $29 Million (pics) by asmovic(m): 10:51pm On Jul 04, 2022
Newphiligeek123:
Charles DeBono, a 63-year-old Barrie, Ontario man who defrauded hundreds of investors out of millions of dollars will have to pay back $26.9 million in restitution after he was handed a seven-year sentence today.

Approximately 515 people, mostly from Nigeria but also in Canada lost a combined $29 million, leading some to lose their life savings and retirement incomes between 2012 and 2017.

The Nigerian Victims
They did their due diligence and looked into the business opportunity before investing. They lived in Nigeria and found nothing — no red flags, no bad history, no indication of what actually lay ahead.

In the end, the Nigerian investors lost thousands of dollars in what they later learned was one of Ontario’s largest frauds.
An investor from Nigeria told the Canadian police how he lost US$80,000— money he had earned investing in the petroleum sector.

'For me, I didn’t expect this type of thing to happen in Canada. It’s a developed country,' “I checked everything. In fact, it took me one year before deciding,” he declared at the Barrie, Ontario courthouse. “I was asking people, checking.” Even the online reviews, he recalled, were very good.

Other colleagues in Nigeria had also invested. He said there were a lot of investors from Nigeria.

The Nigerian man believes that some of the early investors recovered their money in full — which would explain the positive online reviews that, at the time, encouraged others to throw their money DeBono’s way.

The Fraudster
DeBono sold fake investments in a point-of-sale terminal ownership program in what police said was nothing more than a Ponzi scheme.
When banks started shutting him down in 2017, he fled to the Dominican Republic with millions of dollars as well as hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of cars and other assets.

The Barrie man had no criminal record and held regular middle-class jobs, including in the local used car industry, before creating KIS Media Ventures in 2012, which served as an umbrella organization for illicit companies, including Debit Direct and Business Partners Ventures Inc.

Using fake brochures and elaborate sales messages, DeBono used sales agents and sold his scheme on websites and at trade and franchise shows across the country, according to an agreed-upon statement of facts filed with the court.

Those recruited to sell believed they were selling a legitimate business opportunity. The point-of-sale terminals were to be placed in high-volume businesses across Canada and the investors were to receive 15 cents per transaction in monthly payouts.

Once he secured clients who thought they were investing in the machines, he sent them monthly financial statements and even dividend cheques in the early days.

However, the returns on the terminals were actually being funded by new investor deposits.

Crown prosecutor Ted Ofiara earlier told the court there was no evidence that any machines were ever placed in businesses and likely the only scanning machines linked to DeBono were the ones he displayed to sell that became a Ponzi scheme.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/AfrotimesNewspaper/photos/a.119381757440035/133997795978431/
[b]Afrotimes Newspaper[/b]it's now coming back to us...if you know, you know.

Re: White Canadian Man Defrauds 515 Nigerians, Others Of $29 Million (pics) by AngelicBeing: 10:52pm On Jul 04, 2022
sad
Re: White Canadian Man Defrauds 515 Nigerians, Others Of $29 Million (pics) by NessFortunate: 10:56pm On Jul 04, 2022
Crazy. Flipside. Just 7 years? Come on. 26m in USD. WHERE IS THE JUSTICE? CANADA UNA NO TRY AT ALL. SMH

1 Like

Re: White Canadian Man Defrauds 515 Nigerians, Others Of $29 Million (pics) by Eryyy92: 10:59pm On Jul 04, 2022
SultanOfPuna:
Normally Africans are too LOUD.
I have seen a Russian man that dress coperate and owns a company.
Everything about him is low key

But behind the scene he is a comfirm Hacker that does scams and yahoo.
BUT YOU WILL NEVER KNOW

Nigerian go pick $200
The whole street go know say boys don pick
loud music, foolish dressing, no investment
Just like Hushpuppi the most foolish scammer in history

So many dangerous yahoo boys are from Russia, Philippines,Vietnam
U fit see them outside wearing singlet and slippers
But their Bank account na Millions of pounds
Nigeria still dey learn work
sharap there...you haven't seen any russian man
Re: White Canadian Man Defrauds 515 Nigerians, Others Of $29 Million (pics) by princewarri1985: 11:07pm On Jul 04, 2022
See the way the guy do face like i don chop all the money finish and if una won kill me make una come kill me. Lol lol
Re: White Canadian Man Defrauds 515 Nigerians, Others Of $29 Million (pics) by Yankee101: 11:07pm On Jul 04, 2022
I laughed when I saw it first
But no be funny matter
Invest yourself
Re: White Canadian Man Defrauds 515 Nigerians, Others Of $29 Million (pics) by Nobody: 11:11pm On Jul 04, 2022
Funny how life is sometimes.

Nigerians have earned a reputation for being one of world biggest scammers yet, Nigerians are some of the easiest to scam in the world.

grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: White Canadian Man Defrauds 515 Nigerians, Others Of $29 Million (pics) by NADFOR: 11:18pm On Jul 04, 2022
Shay Una day craz.Una ma don Jam LOL!
Re: White Canadian Man Defrauds 515 Nigerians, Others Of $29 Million (pics) by gbishman: 11:24pm On Jul 04, 2022
Shady people are always looking for the easy and smooth way to success. Nothing like that exist.
You work hard, earn your money(as a worker) or business owner.
Most importantly commit into God's hands.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: White Canadian Man Defrauds 515 Nigerians, Others Of $29 Million (pics) by murtalaa(m): 11:57pm On Jul 04, 2022
reverse yahoo grin
Re: White Canadian Man Defrauds 515 Nigerians, Others Of $29 Million (pics) by Funflipper: 11:59pm On Jul 04, 2022
Daddyyin:
Those guys are smarter than Nigerians when it comes to scamming. Nigerians are just too loud

Plus they love easy money too.
Re: White Canadian Man Defrauds 515 Nigerians, Others Of $29 Million (pics) by Funflipper: 12:03am On Jul 05, 2022
Thanksful:

Nigeria don't rank 3rd in world scam. Nah too much noise dey worry Nigeria. Russia and china top the list.

How about India and the millions of call centers?
Re: White Canadian Man Defrauds 515 Nigerians, Others Of $29 Million (pics) by PoliteActivist: 12:30am On Jul 05, 2022
Ugaboy:
The word Scam or fraud is not gotten from any African lingo...

This is not Canada being a developed country, it is because the white/Western invented fraud...but will always paints African as corrupt and unstable humans.

Don't believe the lies you hear BBC, CNN, Adjazeera, CCTV will present...

They will won't want to tarnish their images

If you are a journalist... Protect the African image

This is not true. Their society is built on a sort of "honor" - they are taught not to take advantage of loopholes even if they can; while all the typical Nigerian looks for are loopholes to take advantage of!
Of course there are always the exceptions
Re: White Canadian Man Defrauds 515 Nigerians, Others Of $29 Million (pics) by iamme1234(m): 12:42am On Jul 05, 2022
Oxala:

Turns out Nigeria doesn't have monopoly of fraud afterall cheesy

But wait a minute the guy looks mixed...he might actually be one of us by ancestry

Igbo ascestry
Re: White Canadian Man Defrauds 515 Nigerians, Others Of $29 Million (pics) by drololaaof: 12:59am On Jul 05, 2022
Eni nwa ifa nwa ofo- those looking for quick gains should be ready to bear the loss.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man's Penis Bitten Off For Stealing In Bakassi Peninsula (Graphic) / Nigerian Woman Shot Dead By White Boyfriend[PICTURE] / USA - 3 Nigerians Convicted In 419 Scams. Possible Life Sentences (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.