Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,465 members, 7,819,692 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:10 PM

Lagos: Echoes Of Praises On Cameron’s Visit - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos: Echoes Of Praises On Cameron’s Visit (2321 Views)

Obama Praises Buhari At Nuclear Summit In Washington / President Yayi Of Republic Of Benin Showers Praises On President Jonathan -photo / Fayose Praises Buhari, Urges Nigerians To Accept Election Results (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos: Echoes Of Praises On Cameron’s Visit by ektbear: 1:47am On Jul 27, 2011
Last week, the British Prime Minister, David Cameron was at the Pan African University, Ajah, Lagos State to deliver a lecture on “Aid, Trade and Democracy.” His focus was basically on accountable governance as it affected the average citizenry in which he singled out Lagos as a reference point.
Observers have continued to canvass for those at the helm of affairs of governance to formulate policies that improve the lives of the people.
[b]Cameron maintained that his assessment of Governor Babatunde Fashola’s administration was borne out of the transformation that has taken place in Lagos in the last four years.
“Governor Fashola has shown what strong and accountable governance can achieve,” he says, adding that the governor had shown the immense possibilities of a strong and accountable administration.
According to him, Fashola had demonstrated that true democracy and accountable leadership was possible in the African continent, adding that his visit had made it possible to give a personal testimony about Lagos.
“What I have seen in London, I have seen a hundred fold here today. From Eko Atlantic City and Balogun Street Market to the biggest part in the most populous country in Africa, you are transforming your state. From the civil activism of the churches of South London to the contribution of Nigerians to British business, law, medicine, sport and music, I have seen the passion and enterprise of Nigerians changing my country for the better. But what I have seen in London I have seen a hundred-fold here today,” he stated. [/b]

He disclosed that Britain would keep its promise of increasing aids to poorest countries of the world to 0.7 percent of Gross National Income from 2013, adding, however, that such aids would be attached to concrete projects such as those focused on saving lives, investment project which would provide roads, infrastructure and such other catalytic.
“Other areas which could catalyse economic growth in Africa include private enterprise and trade. It has lifted hundreds of thousands out of poverty in Brazil, China and Indonesia. It can do the same in Africa including Nigeria,” he stated stressed.
He added: “You can stand up and say, in this generation my child should be vaccinated and go to school. And you can demand more participation in the economy – or simply a job.  These are the demands the people have made in Egypt, Tunisia and Libya. These are the demands that have propelled the Arab Spring.
“These are the demands, which supported by a revolution in trade and enterprise mean Africa can seize its own moment of opportunity. At stake is quite simply the chance to change millions of lives across the continent. The future of Africa is yours. But you have to seize it.”
Fashola asserted that Africa would play a most critical role in the future of the planet, adding that the world had become a global village so that what happened in one part could almost have the same effect on the other parts of the world.
“It is no understatement to assert that Africa will play a most critical role in the future of our planet. So much can happen in this decade. Our current reality vividly demonstrates that prosperity or adversity on one side of our planet has almost instantaneous consequences of prosperity or adversity on the other end,” he said.
He praised the British Prime Minister for the visit saying, “the trans-Atlantic visit such as undertaken by the Right Honourable Prime Minister is proof of the salutary leadership and very clear understanding of his role to transform these challenges to opportunities by stimulating mutual cooperation between our countries for economic growth; improved public health, promote global security, democracy and the defense of citizens’ rights to mention but a few.”   
He disclosed that efforts were being put in place to ensure all Nigerians contributed to the development of their country.
“We particularly seek collaboration towards encouraging and recruiting Nigerian professionals based in the Diaspora to look towards returning home to lend a hand to the efforts of nation building and so that we can bridge the gap in the remuneration package that the global economy provides and give them a sense of belonging.”
According to the governor, such ties would only help to transform the state and Nigeria.
His words: “We are looking forward to a collaborative follow-up of limitless possibilities. Nigeria as a nation and Lagos in particular have a long political and economic relation with Britain. I hope that this visit will become a most symbolic reference point of the escalation of a revival of those relationships for mutual benefits which support the growth of both countries’ economies in a way that issues of poverty and human development can be remedied by the creation of economic opportunities.”
The governor commended the motive behind the visit and assured of the state’s desire on cooperation. “I must acknowledge the business development and partnership orientation of the representatives of the British High Commission in Nigeria and the support that we have enjoyed from the Department for International Development (DFID) which, I dare say needs to be expanded”, the governor said.

http://www.independentngonline.com/DailyIndependent/Article.aspx?id=37843
Re: Lagos: Echoes Of Praises On Cameron’s Visit by ektbear: 1:47am On Jul 27, 2011
Fashola, bringing hope to Africa.
Re: Lagos: Echoes Of Praises On Cameron’s Visit by jason123: 2:24am On Jul 27, 2011
I repeat, if Fashola should contest. IT WILL BE VERY FO.OLISH, if Nigerians don't vote for him based on tribalism.
Enough said!
Re: Lagos: Echoes Of Praises On Cameron’s Visit by EkoIle1: 3:11am On Jul 27, 2011
This is so moving and imspiring.

So happy to be a Lagosian.
Re: Lagos: Echoes Of Praises On Cameron’s Visit by ezeagu(m): 3:41am On Jul 27, 2011
jason123:

I repeat, if Fashola should contest. IT WILL BE VERY FO.OLISH, if Nigerians don't vote for him based on tribalism.
Enough said!

That's if there's no better candidate.
Re: Lagos: Echoes Of Praises On Cameron’s Visit by jason123: 3:52am On Jul 27, 2011
ezeagu:

That's if there's no better candidate.

True. But so far, I have seen none. . . .
Re: Lagos: Echoes Of Praises On Cameron’s Visit by jmaine: 4:40am On Jul 27, 2011
jason123:

True. But so far, I have seen none. . . .
Really . . .
Re: Lagos: Echoes Of Praises On Cameron’s Visit by jason123: 4:44am On Jul 27, 2011
jmaine:

Really . . .

Like who, if I may ask??
Re: Lagos: Echoes Of Praises On Cameron’s Visit by Gbawe: 9:25am On Jul 27, 2011
The truth is that it is only on Nairaland that issues are discussed with sentiments, 'bad belle' and ethnic bias. The likes of Cameron have access to information most Nigerians never care to gain. Cameron and others , neutral and beyond the shores of Nigeria, know how to dechipher information recieved to make informed judgement. They know the statistics and real achievement that proves Fashola to be a success even if some want to label him a "flower planter"to suit their own agenda.
Re: Lagos: Echoes Of Praises On Cameron’s Visit by ektbear: 9:29am On Jul 27, 2011
^-- Na lie. Cameron, the US Ambassador from earlier who singled out Fashola have both been brainwashed by the Yoruba media tongue
Re: Lagos: Echoes Of Praises On Cameron’s Visit by Gbawe: 9:34am On Jul 27, 2011
ekt_bear:

^-- Na lie. Cameron, the US Ambassador from earlier who singled out Fashola have both been brainwashed by the Yoruba media tongue

grin grin Abi OOO.
Re: Lagos: Echoes Of Praises On Cameron’s Visit by logic101: 10:54am On Jul 27, 2011
The greatest problem the black man has is his huge ego. David cameron comes to lagos and praises fashola and certain people take his words for it.Same old trick that has been used for 600 years,Massage their egos and they lose thier sense of reasoning
Re: Lagos: Echoes Of Praises On Cameron’s Visit by PointB: 1:50pm On Jul 27, 2011
^^^^
Word!
Re: Lagos: Echoes Of Praises On Cameron’s Visit by ezeagu(m): 11:14pm On Jul 27, 2011
logic101:

The greatest problem the black man has is his huge ego.

Is that even an ego, or inferiority complex?
Re: Lagos: Echoes Of Praises On Cameron’s Visit by DisGuy: 11:21pm On Jul 27, 2011
logic101:

The greatest problem the black man has is his huge ego. David cameron comes to lagos and praises fashola and certain people take his words for it.Same old trick that has been used for 600 years,Massage their egos and they lose thier sense of reasoning

This isnt about Ego, up and down the country people acknowledge his leadership! It is a case of commending people that are worthy of commendation

Why didn't Cameron praise Jonathan who has the license to sign off oil deals and building contracts?
Re: Lagos: Echoes Of Praises On Cameron’s Visit by ektbear: 11:30pm On Jul 27, 2011
Hehe.

Count on @logic101 to turn it into ol' massa (Cameron) praising his beloved house negro (Fashola) cheesy

Black folks sometimes are very predictable.
Re: Lagos: Echoes Of Praises On Cameron’s Visit by jmaine: 11:39pm On Jul 27, 2011
jason123:

Like who, if I may ask??

There are  alternatives to Fashola, and Fashola can never be the best option for Nigeria my brother  . . .It all depends on the caliber of people competing with him at an instant to warrant your believe . . .  Imagine a Fash versus a Duke . . . do you think Fash would out pace Duke cheesy . . . Though Fash belongs to the top class level of leaders we can count on wink  
Re: Lagos: Echoes Of Praises On Cameron’s Visit by DisGuy: 1:04am On Jul 28, 2011
lol @ Duke

non-functioning, non-sustainable, good looking resort generating debt without SG/FG backing
Re: Lagos: Echoes Of Praises On Cameron’s Visit by jmaine: 1:21am On Jul 28, 2011
Dis Guy:

lol @ Duke

non-functioning, non-sustainable, good looking resort generating debt without SG/FG backing

So this is all you got against him . . . try again cos he is still a colossus  . . .
Re: Lagos: Echoes Of Praises On Cameron’s Visit by ektbear: 1:23am On Jul 28, 2011
How is he a collosus when Tinapa was an utter failure?

You want to build a resort in the middle of nowhere, with no reasonable transportation to and from it?

Dubai in Africa, minus the easy access to Dubai, electricity, roads, etc, etc? How much is Cross Rivers in debt from the project, $500 million+?

This is the man you want to compare to Fashola?  undecided

Maybe he tried very hard. But in life, sometimes trying hard is not enough. Results are what matter. And Tinapa did not deliver.
Re: Lagos: Echoes Of Praises On Cameron’s Visit by DisGuy: 1:24am On Jul 28, 2011
I'm not against him, those are just facts

responding to your

jmaine:

There are  alternatives to Fashola, and Fashola can never be the best option for Nigeria my brother  . . .It all depends on the caliber of people competing with him at an instant to warrant your believe . . .  Imagine a Fash versus a Duke . . . do you think Fash would out pace Duke  cheesy . . . Though Fash belongs to the top class level of leaders we can count on  wink  

And we can only go on what we've seen
Re: Lagos: Echoes Of Praises On Cameron’s Visit by jason123: 1:25am On Jul 28, 2011
jmaine:

There are  alternatives to Fashola, and Fashola can never be the best option for Nigeria my brother  . . .It all depends on the caliber of people competing with him at an instant to warrant your believe . . .  Imagine a Fash versus a Duke . . . do you think Fash would out pace Duke  cheesy . . . Though Fash belongs to the top class level of leaders we can count on  wink  

You are joking, right??
Fashola, to me, is WAY WAY better than Donald Duke. Reasons:

1) Fashola is managing 18 million people not 2 million or so people
2) The population density of Lagos is way higher than that of Cross river state. This makes it an enormous challenge to build infrastructures without unnecessary disruption and commotion.
3) It takes a whole LOT to manage a multi-cultural place like Lagos without ethno-religious clashes as we have been witnessing in Kaduna and other multi-ethnic states.
4) Cross river is considered as an Oil producing state, thus, entitled to more money than Lagos state BUT Lagos stats has found a way to constantly attract investors (Eko atlantic etc). Thereby, making the Federal revenue USELESS (Lagos survived without the Federal revenue for 3 SOLID YEARS. No state can do it in Nigeria)
5) The Tinapa project was a monumental failure because he over invested without taking other factors into account BUT the Eko-atlantic project is ALREADY a success before its even completed. Tell me, if you are given the option of going to Tinapa or Eko atlantic (All expense paid wink). Which will you choose
6) It is ONLY Lagos state that can build an Airport without the help of the FG and yet compete with Muritala.
7) Lagos state is being paid to cater 10 million people while the actual population is DOUBLE in size. Tell me, which state can do such

Personally, I think Fashola should be BEGGED to lead this country, that is, if we love ourselves. I know he has his short comings but who does not? undecided But comparing him to Duke is a bit belittling considering these factors I listed, don't you think
Re: Lagos: Echoes Of Praises On Cameron’s Visit by CyberG: 1:42am On Jul 28, 2011
^^ Good points! I agree and whoever argues to the contrary should do so with points like he just did.
Re: Lagos: Echoes Of Praises On Cameron’s Visit by ezeagu(m): 1:49am On Jul 28, 2011
jason123:

1) Fashola is managing 18 million people not 2 million or so people
2) The population density of Lagos is way higher than that of Cross river state. This makes it an enormous challenge to build infrastructures without unnecessary disruption and commotion.

We can clearly see this by the amount of dusty people on the streets.

jason123:

3) It takes a whole LOT to manage a multi-cultural place like Lagos without ethno-religious clashes as we have been witnessing in Kaduna and other multi-ethnic states.

Most of the clashes are because of land (usually cows grazing) and they are usually between muslim and Christians in rural communities. Lagos land is not split between different indigenous people.

jason123:

4) Cross river is considered as an Oil producing state, thus, entitled to more money than Lagos state BUT Lagos stats has found a way to constantly attract investors (Eko atlantic etc). Thereby, making the Federal revenue USELESS (Lagos survived without the Federal revenue for 3 SOLID YEARS. No state can do it in Nigeria)

Of course Lagos will attract investors as the financial capital with 18 million people and large amounts of people with fat wallets.

jason123:

5) The Tinapa project was a monumental failure because he over invested without taking other factors into account BUT the Eko-atlantic project is ALREADY a success before its even completed. Tell me, if you are given the option of going to Tinapa or Eko atlantic (All expense paid wink). Which will you choose

Tinapa failed because it was killed by Northerners.

jason123:

6) It is ONLY Lagos state that can build an Airport without the help of the FG and yet compete with Muritala.

What airport is this?

jason123:

7) Lagos state is being paid to cater 10 million people while the actual population is DOUBLE in size. Tell me, which state can do such

Cater in what? Building houses in Makoko?
Re: Lagos: Echoes Of Praises On Cameron’s Visit by Nobody: 1:54am On Jul 28, 2011
ezeagu:

Most of the clashes are because of land (usually cows grazing) and they are usually between muslim and Christians in rural communities. Lagos land is not split between different indigenous people.

Of course Lagos will attract investors as the financial capital with 18 million people and large amounts of people with fat wallets.

What airport is this?

Stop embarrassing yourself. You're not making any sense.

Kudos to Jason123456789
Re: Lagos: Echoes Of Praises On Cameron’s Visit by jason123: 2:11am On Jul 28, 2011
ezeagu:

Lol  grin . Oga, where in Nigeria will you walk without being dusty?? With that sort of population density, the city will be NATURALLY dirty. Moreover, there are construction sites every few kilometers in Lagos and also a Timber-mill in Makoko. Do you expect the air to be clean, not to talk of the ground?

ezeagu:
There are ethnic clashes as well as Political crises and all sorts in the North and other states that have the population diversity as close to Lagos. Take for example, Warri. Most of the people in Warri are christains, YET they kill eachother over "conquered territories". The same cannot be said about Lagos.

ezeagu:
Who made it the Financial capital?? You?me? Babangiga?? OBJ?? or Who Bros, its is due to careful planning and God's grace (to the atheist, Luck!). No one said, "Hey, today this will be OUR financial capital". It just happened because Lagos state has found a constantly attract investors both LOCALLY (From the SWestern states and the SE) and international.
About the "large amount of people with fat wallets". Haba! Since your last visit to Lagos, how many people have you seen with a "fat wallet"?? In fact, most working class people who work in Marina (I hope you know that is the work district of Lagos) actually live in Ogun state. The price of houses in Lagos is too high. So where do you see your "fat wallet"?? undecided

ezeagu:
There is ABSOLUTELY no evidence of this. How can you build Tinapa without an International Airport close by It just does not make sense. I mean, who wants to land at MMA or NAA, then travel all the way to Cross river because of Tinapa?? Most but not all of the fun they will ever dream of in Nigeria is in Lagos or Abuja. Why will I go to Tinapa when I can go to STV cinema or Palms to get what ever I wants. More still, travel abroad and show off to my friends yet I will still get whatever I want.
The commercial environment was not conducive enough for investors and tourist. It was not properly planned.

ezeagu:
What airport is this?
The one that is current being built in Lekki

ezeagu:
In a city like Lagos with funds for 10milllion people when 18 million are actually living there (minus the extras that come everyday), you certainly do not expect Fashola to go to Makoko and build houses for them, do you shocked? Agreed, only about 12 or so million people will benefit from his schemes and I will consider that a success.
Even if he builds houses for them in Makoko, how do you expect the citizens of that area to pay for rent Moreover, people from other states (especailly neighbouring ones) will take advantage of such a scheme.
All in all, it will not be viable.
Re: Lagos: Echoes Of Praises On Cameron’s Visit by jason123: 2:12am On Jul 28, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Stop embarrassing yourself. You're not making any sense.

Kudos to Jason123456789
cheesy
Re: Lagos: Echoes Of Praises On Cameron’s Visit by DisGuy: 2:15am On Jul 28, 2011
Tinapa failed because it was killed by Northerners

The almighty excuse for all excuses!!!

was it killed before or after it was built with borrowed money? Obasanjo is a Northerner
and all the SE/SS senators and reps collected bribe from northerners not to debate about it at the house of reps?
Re: Lagos: Echoes Of Praises On Cameron’s Visit by ektbear: 2:18am On Jul 28, 2011
Can someone explain this northerner's killed Tinapa theory?

Why would they even care whether it succeeds or fails? How do they suffer if rather than flying to Dubai for products, people go to Tinapa?

Doesn't make sense to me.

Or is northerners killed Tinapa = customs not allowing people to bring finished goods into the FTZ?
Re: Lagos: Echoes Of Praises On Cameron’s Visit by jason123: 2:23am On Jul 28, 2011
Dis Guy:

The almighty excuse for all excuses!!!

was it killed before or after it was built with borrowed money? Obasanjo is a Northerner
and all the SE/SS senators and reps collected bribe from northerners not to debate about it at the house of reps?

grin grin cheesy
Btw, it has nothing to do with the SE. I do not think they were involved in anyway.
Re: Lagos: Echoes Of Praises On Cameron’s Visit by jason123: 2:24am On Jul 28, 2011
ekt_bear:

Can someone explain this northerner's killed Tinapa theory?

Why would they even care whether it succeeds or fails? How do they suffer if rather than flying to Dubai for products, people go to Tinapa?

Doesn't make sense to me.

Or is northerners killed Tinapa = customs not allowing people to bring finished goods into the FTZ?

I am waiting as well. I am all ears . . . .
Re: Lagos: Echoes Of Praises On Cameron’s Visit by Katsumoto: 2:24am On Jul 28, 2011
ezeagu:

What airport is this?

Dude,

Give it a rest. Did you re-read your post before you clicked reply?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ngige Started Kidnapping In Anambra – Obi / Nigeria Will Know No Peace If Gej Loses.????? / I ‘ll Defeat Regional Force, Says Shekau In New Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.