Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,332 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:58 PM

Nigeria Will Reciprocate Visa Denials And Delays – Gbenga Ashiru - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigeria Will Reciprocate Visa Denials And Delays – Gbenga Ashiru (7199 Views)

Arik Air Delays Passengers For 6Hours At Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport, Abuja / All Airports In Nigeria Will Be Shut Sunday Midnight - Aviation Unions / Diplomacy:nigeria Will Reciprocate Visa Denials-minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Will Reciprocate Visa Denials And Delays – Gbenga Ashiru by Fogman(m): 2:29am On Jul 27, 2011
The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Olugbenga Ashiru, on Tuesday said Nigerian Missions abroad would henceforth undertake reciprocal treatment regarding the issuance of visas.

The minister said in maiden meeting with members of the diplomatic corps accredited to Nigeria that Nigeria would longer not tolerate the shabby treatment of its citizens by foreign missions that appeared to have developed a habit of frustrating Nigerians with genuine reasons to travel.

Ashiru said it was no longer acceptable for missions in Nigeria to make Nigerians suffer just because they were seeking visas.

“I wish to assure you of the readiness of Nigeria’s diplomatic missions to undertake reciprocal treatment.

“Where visas are delivered promptly within three to five days, we shall reciprocate and where there is a delay, we shall apply the same measure.

“I wish however to appeal to you to please help to lessen the burden of such complaints and requests for assistance on my office.

“Certainly, where unnecessary delays are caused, it would be a negation of the principle of good relations between two countries.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20110727183423
Re: Nigeria Will Reciprocate Visa Denials And Delays – Gbenga Ashiru by trekkie: 3:33am On Jul 27, 2011
about time
but i hope they allow sanity to reign though. we can take things to extremes and without proper record keeping on our own part i wonder how they are going to execute this. nigeria has not cared about the way her citizens are being treated by other countries i hope this is part of waking up to their responsibilities and not just political posturing and sabre rattling.
Re: Nigeria Will Reciprocate Visa Denials And Delays – Gbenga Ashiru by aljharem(m): 3:37am On Jul 27, 2011
lol
Re: Nigeria Will Reciprocate Visa Denials And Delays – Gbenga Ashiru by OAM4J: 3:45am On Jul 27, 2011
Question: How many foreigners are begging to come to our country compare to the number of our citizens begging to travel to other country?

Honestly, I dont know how many foreigners are begging to visit a country that can not guarantee 24hr electricity, pipe borne water and security of life and properties.

Moved to travel Section.
Re: Nigeria Will Reciprocate Visa Denials And Delays – Gbenga Ashiru by Fogman(m): 4:03am On Jul 27, 2011
OAM4J:

Question: How many foreigners are begging to come to our country compare to the number of our citizens begging to travel to other country?

Honestly, I dont know how many foreigners are begging to visit a country that can not guarantee 24hr electricity, pipe borne water and security of life and properties.

Moved to travel Section.

My dear, alot! If you are priviledge to interact with staff of any Nigeria embassy, you ll get some insight.

Why do you think Nigerian visa is reputed as one of the most difficult visa to obtain. High demand and few issuance.
Re: Nigeria Will Reciprocate Visa Denials And Delays – Gbenga Ashiru by OAM4J: 4:15am On Jul 27, 2011
Fogman:

My deat, alot! If you are priviledge to intetact with a staff in any Nigeria embassy, you ll get some insight.

Why do you think Nigerian visa is reputed as one of the most difficult visa to obtain.

To the best of my knowledge, majority of the applicants are Nigerians born abroad or who have been living abroad for years and now wish to visit home.

However, we can still not compare the the number of Nigerians seeking foreign visas to foreigners seeking Nigerian visa. Tell me of any Nigerian embassy abroad that witness the crowd you see in many foreign embassies in Lagos and Abuja.
Re: Nigeria Will Reciprocate Visa Denials And Delays – Gbenga Ashiru by Fogman(m): 4:23am On Jul 27, 2011
Nigerians that have lived abroad for long, dont need Nigerian visa to visit home. Dual citizenship is allowed in our constitution. Stands to be corrected.

Take a trip to any Nigerian High Commission and see things for your self.
Re: Nigeria Will Reciprocate Visa Denials And Delays – Gbenga Ashiru by OAM4J: 4:54am On Jul 27, 2011
Fogman:

Nigerians that have lived abroad for long, dont need Nigerian visa to visit home. Dual citizenship is allowed in our constitution. Stands to be corrected.

Take a trip to any Nigerian High Commission and see things for your self.

Most countries in d world including Nigeria allowed dual citizenship, I was referring to many of them that do not have Nigerian passport or whose passports have long expired.

See, I live abroad and I travel a lot, I also know some Nigerian ambassadors. I have not seen a Nigerian embassy with long queue of applicants as you see in Lagos and Abuja.

Anyways, I am not against the policy. Just asking so we know how effective it really is.
Re: Nigeria Will Reciprocate Visa Denials And Delays – Gbenga Ashiru by werepeLeri: 7:44am On Jul 27, 2011
@OAM4J

You dont seem to have any idea of what you are talking about. At all, at all.
Re: Nigeria Will Reciprocate Visa Denials And Delays – Gbenga Ashiru by Nobody: 8:21am On Jul 27, 2011
Well Nigerians are the cause of their difficulty in obtaining visas, and often downright refusal. With the spate of "agents" going around, touting fake documents, foreign missions have every right to take as long as is required to verify details supplied by applicants. The blatant dishonesty of a vast majority of Nigerians doesn't help either, countries have enough of their own internal issues to deal with - why would they want to compound this with crime from Nigeria?

I feel sorry for genuine Nigerian visa applicants, caught up in this mess, but they only have their fraudulent Nigerian brothers and sisters to blame, not the foreign missions. I doubt foreigners would lose any sleep, if they were denied Nigerian visas anyway.
Re: Nigeria Will Reciprocate Visa Denials And Delays – Gbenga Ashiru by Fogman(m): 8:56pm On Jul 27, 2011
Siena, dissagree with you. Foreighers ll definately loose their sleep if they are unable to secure visa to nigeria. It appears you dont know how difficult to get a Nigerian visa. Our visa is in great demand, at least if for nothing, for our oil. Whites are attracted to oil the way ants are attracted to sugar. Ask yourself why they are still at Niger delta at the risk of their lives.
Re: Nigeria Will Reciprocate Visa Denials And Delays – Gbenga Ashiru by justwise(m): 9:08pm On Jul 27, 2011
Fogman:

Siena, dissagree with you. Foreighers ll definately loose their sleep if they are unable to secure visa to nigeria. It appears you dont know how difficult to get a Nigerian visa. Our visa is in great demand, at least if for nothing, for our oil. Whites are attracted to oil the way ants are attracted to sugar. Ask yourself why they are still at Niger delta at the risk of their lives.

I have been to Nigerian embassies in Zimbabwe, South Africa, Hong Kong and the UK and i never saw foreigners queuing as early as 4am to apply for visa, When u said our visa is in high demand, you can compare that to UK, USA, CANADA, SOUTH AFRICA. . etc
Re: Nigeria Will Reciprocate Visa Denials And Delays – Gbenga Ashiru by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jul 27, 2011
Fogman:

Siena, dissagree with you. Foreighers ll definately loose their sleep if they are unable to secure visa to nigeria. It appears you dont know how difficult to  get a Nigerian visa. Our visa is in great demand, at least if for nothing, for our oil. Whites are attracted to oil the way ants are attracted to sugar. Ask yourself why they are still at Niger delta at the risk of their lives.

Bro, I disagree. Foreigners don't need to be in Nigeria, to r[i]a[/i]pe her of her oil reserves. There are enough Nigerian "agents" to assist them remotely.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Will Reciprocate Visa Denials And Delays – Gbenga Ashiru by claremont(m): 11:39pm On Jul 27, 2011
It is so sad really that the Nigerian idea of "diplomacy" is to reciprocate visa denials. When other countries are signing visa waiver agreements, Nigeria is actively seeking to "stamp it's mark" in the world by reciprocating visa denials. It seems when people get appointed to positions of authority in Nigeria, they leave their brains at home and pick it up when they eventually leave their position. I don't see anything wrong if Nigeria completely waives visa requirement for EU, American, Canadian, Indian, and a few other hand-picked citizens; even if the visa waiver programme is not mutual initially, eventually I believe these countries will reciprocate this gesture in some way. Moreover, the freedom of movement and trade generated by citizens of these countries when they visit Nigeria will help the economy! What is there to be gained by reciprocating visa denial?! 
Re: Nigeria Will Reciprocate Visa Denials And Delays – Gbenga Ashiru by AjanleKoko: 1:14pm On Jul 28, 2011
@OP,
I see some sense in what the minister said.
And to those people here generalizing: If you are right, why have the UK and US embassies cleaned up their processes and guaranteed standard SLAs for visa delivery in the last three years? Why are people not sleeping outside those embassies anymore?

Since the advent of VFS in Nigeria, virtually all Western European embassies use them to process visa applications. Even South African Embassy has now engaged them. I have wanted to take my family to South Africa, but I am scared of sending in our passports. A friend of mine did that, and they lost his passport without a valid excuse or justification. They wouldn't even provide him a letter stating that the passport was lost in their office. For me, that's a no-no, and I won't go near their embassy until I hear different.

The last time I renewed my US visa, I had to pay touts to go online and book an appointment for me. The embassy people simply could not make appointments available online. I had no choice but to ask people around what I could do, and I ended up paying to have someone stay up late and book the appointment on my behalf. This time around, the whole thing is very personalised. I don't need any tout; I was able to book appointments without anybody's intervention and without any pressure.

I have had dealings with the Spanish and Italian embassies - very corrupt, disorganized offices. If I need to go to any Schengen territory, I just get a French visa, and fly Air France. I'm sure there are lots like me as well. I stay well away from those two embassies, even if I need to go to their countries. Thank God for Schengen, I guess.

Visa issuance is a revenue generating activity and not a community or charity service; we pay for the service, and the embassies need to take the processes, and we their clients serious, and not just whinge over fraudulent applications as an excuse for delivering inefficient service. If their systems are working well, they should have no problem filtering out fraudulent applications from genuine ones. That's my own position. Na only Nigerians dey commit criminal acts?
Re: Nigeria Will Reciprocate Visa Denials And Delays – Gbenga Ashiru by Fogman(m): 1:46pm On Jul 28, 2011
@ Ajanlekoko, well said. If not for stern warning and threat of reciprocal action by our govt, this embassies will not have changed their demeaning treatment melted out to Nigerians. For once we dont need to sleep at any embassy for visa again and no more defacing of our passport in the name of visa denials. Kudos to the govt.
Re: Nigeria Will Reciprocate Visa Denials And Delays – Gbenga Ashiru by nanidee(f): 12:56am On Jul 30, 2011
OAM4J:

You would surely be amazed to find out how many foreigners would love to come to Nigeria, even with all the problems being faced in the country.

With The issue of electricity, fraud and all, they are still flocking in. Why? Because Nigeria is one hell of a gold mine, and the economy favours many of them, simply because the system doesnt work.

Trust me, they know they can easily live like kings in Nigeria. A country where cost of labour is cheap, corruption is the order of the day, and you can get anything at anytime you want. You become an employer of labour, treat your workers like trash, even without residence / work permits.

My dear, you'd better believe that despite Nigeria's bad name and all, lots and lots and lots of foreigners are still very much interested in being in Nigeria, for one reason or the other. Mostly because of the potentials the country has. FACT!!

Re: Nigeria Will Reciprocate Visa Denials And Delays – Gbenga Ashiru by dayokanu(m): 1:04am On Jul 30, 2011
Ok Chadians go begin fear now
Re: Nigeria Will Reciprocate Visa Denials And Delays – Gbenga Ashiru by nanidee(f): 1:17am On Jul 30, 2011
^^ hehehe, Chadians dont need visas to visit Nigeria. tongue
Re: Nigeria Will Reciprocate Visa Denials And Delays – Gbenga Ashiru by oseo1(m): 1:37am On Jul 30, 2011
There are more foreigners trying to come to Nigeria than you can imagine. Even Forbes has written about the potential in the Nigerian economy. I was flying from Lagos to London 3 days ago and on my flight there were 6 white men who were filling out their contracts to come and work in Nigeria.

Also until our high commissions start taking drastic measures the embassies in Nigeria wont shape up. I will tell you the experience my family went through with the Spanish embassy. We were supposed to travel to Spain for a wedding, the wedding guest list from Nigeria was about 75 people long. so we went to the embassy and got their requirements. We made sure everyone met all the requirements and put in our applications. The embassy denied all 28 of us that applied together. And they gave invalid reasons, for example they said some people did not have valid insurance meanwhile every person traveling for the wedding got their insurance through the same company which is recommended by the Spanish embassy. other people they said didn't have valid reasons to travel, for some children they said they didn't have parental consent (when their parents brought them to the embassy, or is a 5 month old going to come and apply himself) others they said they had insufficient funds (some of them that they told that had N40m+ (40 not 4) in their accounts, It was obvious that they did not review any of the applications at all. When we reported the case to their home office in Spain we were informed that the officer we met had probably made mistakes that we should reapply, we then put in our applications, we eventually withdrew our applications after they denied the daughter of the bride for a second time. On the day we went to pick up our passports the security guard told us that they only issued one out of 58 applications the previous day.

The wedding is now holding in London and everyone has gotten visas, some already had others had their applications expedited by the british embassy. the hotel in Spain is now losing somewhere around $100,000 in just hotel rooms by the time you add food for the 5 days we were going to be there they would have lost another $50,000 probably.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Will Reciprocate Visa Denials And Delays – Gbenga Ashiru by tunnytox(m): 1:46am On Jul 30, 2011
interesting!
Re: Nigeria Will Reciprocate Visa Denials And Delays – Gbenga Ashiru by mekaboy(m): 1:57am On Jul 30, 2011

YEYE PEOPLE, YOU WANT TO RETALIATE , THERE ARE WAYS OF DOING THAT.

1, FIX THE ROADS

2, PROVIDE STEADY POWER SUPPLY

3, PROVIDE SECURITY

4, PROVIDE EMPLOYMENT

5, PROVIDE GOOD EDUCATION SYSTEM

THATS HOW TO RETALIATE, IF YOU DO THAT, TRUST ME, MOST OF THOSE MISSION WILL START TO DO VISA PROMOTION. APPLY FOR 6MONTHS AND GET 6YRS FREE grin grin

APPLY FOR SINGLE AND GET FAMILY grin grin

THEY WILL START TO BEG NIGERIANS TO APPLY, YOU LIVE THE ROOT OF THE PROBLEM AND GO TO TACKLE THE LEAF .
WHY DO SO MANY NIGERIANS WANT TO TRAVEL OUT? THAT IS THE PROBLEM NOT HOW THEY ARE TREATED.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Will Reciprocate Visa Denials And Delays – Gbenga Ashiru by MadDog1(m): 2:10am On Jul 30, 2011
the minister didnt tell us the way,he gonna carry it out
Re: Nigeria Will Reciprocate Visa Denials And Delays – Gbenga Ashiru by N101: 2:16am On Jul 30, 2011
ose_o:

There are more foreigners trying to come to Nigeria than you can imagine. Even Forbes has written about the potential in the Nigerian economy. I was flying from Lagos to London 3 days ago and[b] on my flight there were 6 white men who were filling out their contracts to come and work in Nigeria.[/b]

Have you ever been to the Nigerian High Commission in London?  Most of those applying for visas are those born abroad who have lived in Nigeria and don't have Nigerian passports.  Some are people who are renewing passports.  In essence, the High Commission deals with majority Nigerians, and a minority everyone else.

You saw 6 white people in a plane filling out contracts, out of a possible 300 or so people on the flight.  Six people do not consistute "a lot" or coming in droves because of Nigeria's potential.  So if I've seen six white people applying for visas in the London High Commission in a whole day I've seen "a lot"?  Potential does not translate on the ground to people going to Nigeria in droves the way you see Nigerians queuing outside of the US, German or UK embassies.

I cannot see the High Commissions/Embassies carrying this out without a significant change in the way they do things.  And, unlike the UK for example, there probably won't be any way to appeal the decision.  It seems like a lot of noise but not thought out properly.  Typical really.
Re: Nigeria Will Reciprocate Visa Denials And Delays – Gbenga Ashiru by Nobody: 2:33am On Jul 30, 2011
This is a very undiplomatic statement.
Re: Nigeria Will Reciprocate Visa Denials And Delays – Gbenga Ashiru by perenren: 3:13am On Jul 30, 2011
The minister should pay a ''disguised" trip to the Nigerian consulate office in New York and see how the staffers give preferential treatment to foreigners (especially white people) at the detriment of Nigerians. The staffers can be seen attending to the whims and caprices of the foreigners while Nigerians where made to wait for longer periods of time before being attended to. Most of these Nigerians travel to the consulate from locations far from Newyork. My friend and i took the liberty to covertly record on camera and document two instances of consulate staffers giving preferential treatment to foreigners (whites).
Re: Nigeria Will Reciprocate Visa Denials And Delays – Gbenga Ashiru by Elochuk: 3:37am On Jul 30, 2011
[b]My fellow Nigerians ,It is very painful to discuss how Nigerians have been treated like goats even in there own country.
Could you imagine, i was denied a shengen visa at the swedish embassy even as a student .Here the story goes:
Actually i was  admitted at the University of Gothenbury to partake on the free tuition studies in Sweden and i applied for the visa with the whole requirements being met ,even the huge sum of money they insisted i must have in my personal bank account and after the normal 3months I then call the embassy of sweden here in Nigeria and i was ask to call "The Migration Board in Sweden and i did and the unserious swedish Abino that is in-charge of [b]giving decisions on visa application told me that my application still have not been processed(AFTER 3MONTHS oooo) and the worst part of it is that the course have started in the university and i contacted my university and they said i have to  wait for the decision of the migration Board.After some weeks ,i got my decision from the migration board through their embassy in Nigeria and my application was refused and the visa was denied without any good reasons and they gave me option of appealing the decision of the migration board which i did using a good lawyer to get me a good appeal letter as they instructed and all to no avail because it still came out DENIED.

I Hope our government will be serious with this issue because it have really been a torn in the flesh of Nigerians that have a genuine reasons of traveling .
WE ARE TIRED OF EMPTY PROMISES FROM THE LEADERS OF THIS NATION because they are the cause of all this mess Nigerians are facing in the hands of this Abinos in our country because they allowed it. I wonder if the Leaders of this nation experience the same thing at  this embassies or may be because they all use Diplomatic passports or May be they can afford to get VISAs anytime at all cost with public funds using the AGENTs. How can one pay #450,000 to a bloody agent just[/b] to get a month Visa to Europe ? cry

I pray that God  will help Nigerians and indeed change a name for us all.[/b]
Re: Nigeria Will Reciprocate Visa Denials And Delays – Gbenga Ashiru by oncolor: 3:48am On Jul 30, 2011
What a genius Gbenga Ashiru is! I guess he will set up a committee and come out with a seven point agenda on how to reciprocate.
Re: Nigeria Will Reciprocate Visa Denials And Delays – Gbenga Ashiru by mkpologwu(m): 4:23am On Jul 30, 2011
Who even wan visa to enter this cuntry way no de sweet? Cunt3 wey don tire every man! Kurupt, dirty, horibble, porous, and big-for-nothing cunt3!
Re: Nigeria Will Reciprocate Visa Denials And Delays – Gbenga Ashiru by oyewolejos(m): 6:04am On Jul 30, 2011
mkpologwu:

Who even wan visa to enter this cuntry way no de sweet? Cunt3 wey don tire every man! Kurupt, dirty, horibble, porous, and big-for-nothing cunt3!

LMAO grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Will Reciprocate Visa Denials And Delays – Gbenga Ashiru by Vicjustice: 6:18am On Jul 30, 2011
Though i see where the minister is coming from, but i still don't want to blame the foreign embassies for the treatments of Nigerians. Remember that an alarming percent of visa seekers in Nigeria are supposed to have no serious business with the embassy, this categories of applicants make it difficult to distinguish the appropriate visa applicants, and for this reason, all visa applicants are yoked and everyone is a suspect.
Re: Nigeria Will Reciprocate Visa Denials And Delays – Gbenga Ashiru by Vicjustice: 6:29am On Jul 30, 2011
Elochuk:

[b]My fellow Nigerians ,It is very painful to discuss how Nigerians have been treated like goats even in there own country.
Could you imagine, i was denied a shengen visa at the swedish embassy even as a student .Here the story goes:
Actually i was admitted at the University of Gothenbury to partake on the free tuition studies in Sweden and i applied for the visa with the whole requirements being met ,even the huge sum of money they insisted i must have in my personal bank account and after the normal 3months I then call the embassy of sweden here in Nigeria and i was ask to call "The Migration Board in Sweden and i did and the unserious swedish Abino that is in-charge of [b]giving decisions on visa application told me that my application still have not been processed(AFTER 3MONTHS oooo) and the worst part of it is that the course have started in the university and i contacted my university and they said i have to wait for the decision of the migration Board.After some weeks ,i got my decision from the migration board through their embassy in Nigeria and my application was refused and the visa was denied without any good reasons and they gave me option of appealing the decision of the migration board which i did using a good lawyer to get me a good appeal letter as they instructed and all to no avail because it still came out DENIED.

I Hope our government will be serious with this issue because it have really been a torn in the flesh of Nigerians that have a genuine reasons of traveling .
WE ARE TIRED OF EMPTY PROMISES FROM THE LEADERS OF THIS NATION because they are the cause of all this mess Nigerians are facing in the hands of this Abinos in our country because they allowed it. I wonder if the Leaders of this nation experience the same thing at this embassies or may be because they all use Diplomatic passports or May be they can afford to get VISAs anytime at all cost with public funds using the AGENTs. How can one pay #450,000 to a bloody agent just[/b] to get a month Visa to Europe ? cry

I pray that God will help Nigerians and indeed change a name for us all.[/b]

Hey, you don't need to be this silly racist: you were desperate for a visa to go to their country, but having exhausted every avenue to no success, you now call them racist names for reason of their skin colour. The same you would be ranting and yelling "RACISTS,! RACISTS!! RACISTS!!!" if they call you the N word. This is absolutely silly!

(1) (2) (Reply)

8 Worst Country For A Black To Travel / Challenges Of A "Marwa" Transporter In Ibadan / How Did You Get Your International Passport?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.