Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,872 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:50 PM

Community Begs Aregbesola To Release King - A rapist - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Community Begs Aregbesola To Release King - A rapist (883 Views)

Mother Raises The Alarm As Rapist-husband Walks Free (pictured) / Even Oby Ezekwesili’s Sons Know I Am Not A Rapist, Mustapha Audu Tells His Story / Please, My Parents Must Not Know! – Begs Phone Thief (Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Community Begs Aregbesola To Release King - A rapist by anointedf(m): 10:42am On Jul 27, 2011
One month after being remanded in custody, the people of Ilowa in Obokun Local Government Council of Osun State have appealed to Governor Rauf Aregbesola to ensure that their ill monarch, Oba Adebukola Ali, who is standing trial in a case of alleged violation, is released.

A female member of the National Youth Service Corps (name withheld) in April, 2011, accused the king of forcibly Being Intimate with her without using a condom.

The NYSC authorities, Ministries of Justice and Women Affairs, among other Non-Government Organisations rose to the defence of the corps member by storming the Osogbo magistrate’s court with lawyers.

The court headed by Magistrate Adewunmi Makanjuola remanded the monarch in custody four weeks ago, ordering prisons officials to ensure he (monarch) received qualitative healthcare service for his heart illness.

According to Adebayo, who is the second-in-command to the monarch, the community has kept quiet over the case because a hearing on the case was yet to commence.

He said, “Oba Adebukola Ali remains our king even if he is imprisoned for 100 years. He has done nothing wrong. The lady in question was his fiancé

“We are going to inundate the court with loads of evidence. We are going to tell the court, who picked the lady’s bill when she was sick of malaria in Ilesa.”
Re: Community Begs Aregbesola To Release King - A rapist by anointedf(m): 10:48am On Jul 27, 2011
Obas are elderly people and not a post for bachelors. Many in yorubaland highly esteem them and accord them fatherly respect. Couple with the fact that the lady corper was packing a computer training program that the Oba knows about.

So, if the lady is sick; it is not out of place for the Oba to fix the bill. Please, present another evidence to show that the said lady is the Oba fiance. They are just looking for ways of overtunning the table.

I beg, Aregbesola dont get yourself involved. Let the law takes its due course. If found guilty, let him go and face the music. Afterall, prison were built for people that need to be corrected and readjusted.

What is good for the goose is good for the gander.
Re: Community Begs Aregbesola To Release King - A rapist by swaggerboi2011: 9:08am On Jul 28, 2011
;d ;d ;d
Re: Community Begs Aregbesola To Release King - A rapist by tpia5: 2:36pm On Jul 28, 2011
Actually, in yoruba culture the lady would be considered his fiancee.

I'm not saying its a good thing however.

but a woman's consent isnt necessarily required before the king can make her his wife.

that's why many are finding the whole thing so strange although imo its a regrettable custom.
Re: Community Begs Aregbesola To Release King - A rapist by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 9:32pm On Jul 28, 2011
^^Well dat culture don't apply to Nigerians as it is not our law. It will continue to apply to Yoruba women of-course. Their fathers, the king will continue to rape dem and make dem his fiance as culture of yoruba land dictates. Not a Igbo girl. angry angry
Re: Community Begs Aregbesola To Release King - A rapist by Nobody: 9:51pm On Jul 28, 2011
tpia@:

Actually, in yoruba culture the lady would be considered his fiancee.

I'm not saying its a good thing however.

but a woman's consent isnt necessarily required before the king can make her his wife.

that's why many are finding the whole thing so strange although imo its a regrettable custom.

I think you are mistaken, in Yoruba culture a king does not require the consent of a woman to make her his wife, he however, has to publicly use his authority to announce his interest and his position to get his way without the woman acceptance before consummating the relationship. ( Trying to explain the 'oba gbese le' thingy here). He'll have to "gbese le" first
Re: Community Begs Aregbesola To Release King - A rapist by tpia5: 9:53pm On Jul 28, 2011
Bliss4Lyfe:

^^Well dat culture don't apply to Nigerians as it is not our law. It will continue to apply to Yoruba women of-course. Their fathers, the king will continue to violation dem and make dem his fiance as culture of yoruba land dictates. Not a Igbo girl. angry angry

^^i think it applies in most parts of nigeria where there's a kingship system.

you dont question the king and especially not on issues like this.

non-yoruba women would be exempt of course from such relationships unless it's meant to cement ties and by mutual agreement with the girl's community.

bliss4life are you dreaming of being wooed by a yoruba monarch?
Re: Community Begs Aregbesola To Release King - A rapist by tpia5: 9:55pm On Jul 28, 2011
naijababe:

I think you are mistaken, in Yoruba culture a king does not require the consent of a woman to make her his wife, he however, has to publicly use his authority to announce his interest and his position to get his way without the woman acceptance before consummating the relationship. ( Trying to explain the 'oba gbese le' thingy here). He'll have to "gbese le" first

we're saying the same thing nah.

i think the young woman didnt quite understand that part of the culture hence the resulting shock.

according to tradition or culture, she became his wife or concubine when he slept with her. Or even as soon as he desired to sleep with her.

the question now is what next.
Re: Community Begs Aregbesola To Release King - A rapist by Nobody: 10:00pm On Jul 28, 2011
^ The point i'm trying to make is that he has to announce publicly that he has 'gbese le' before having sex with her
Re: Community Begs Aregbesola To Release King - A rapist by tpia5: 10:03pm On Jul 28, 2011
^^i'm not sure he actually has to though its a grey area and he probably has veto power anyway.

if she was in his house, then that could be construed as consent regardless if she actually agreed or not.

the function of gbese le is to physically bring the woman to the king.

in this instance, she was already there.
Re: Community Begs Aregbesola To Release King - A rapist by tpia5: 10:04pm On Jul 28, 2011
you know if a monarch publicly announces a thing like that , the girl will run away asap.

maybe they used to announce it in the olden days.

but if you're saying he should have kept her there a few days, made the announcement and then slept with her, then you could be right sha.
Re: Community Begs Aregbesola To Release King - A rapist by Nobody: 10:39pm On Jul 28, 2011
tpia@:

you know if a monarch publicly announces a thing like that , the girl will run away asap.

maybe they used to announce it in the olden days.

but if you're saying he should have kept her there a few days, made the announcement and then slept with her, then you could be right sha.

I think that was the norm back then
Re: Community Begs Aregbesola To Release King - A rapist by tpia5: 10:52pm On Jul 28, 2011
i do take r.ape claims very seriously and know its a big problem in nigeria, but it seems the monarch had been courting the lady before and even offered her a trip to ghana or somewhere.  Dont know if this is true.

but its claimed she said she turned down his advances because she didnt like him.

um, in that instance, going to his house wouldnt have been advisable even if he werent a monarch.

as it is, its common knowledge that a king can have any girl he takes a fancy to, and in olden days/some places a young girl shouldnt even walk carelessly in front of the palace because that would be foolhardy and courting danger, since you might catch his eye.

i think all involved should have handled the case a bit more discreetly.

and how did it become a media circus?
Re: Community Begs Aregbesola To Release King - A rapist by Nobody: 11:58pm On Jul 28, 2011
I am not sure there's any true chance of knowing what really transpired now, the girl's account even suggest something was going on already between them. I agree with you on the ra.pe part. If truly he did, i hope he gets a deserving punishment
Re: Community Begs Aregbesola To Release King - A rapist by duduspace(m): 8:16am On Jul 29, 2011
WTF is tpia saying here? I've often heard that women are the source of their own problems in this country but this takes the mickey.
what the hell is gbese le or not gbese le?

Is this silly King not aware that the Nigerian constitution overrides any customary laws he may claim to be following?

I particularly find this statement of your's disturbing:

So you are quite comfortable with the monarch blocking the poor girl's only way of escape or what?  undecided
what exactly do you consider to be violation and what sort of weird thinking is this?
Re: Community Begs Aregbesola To Release King - A rapist by anointedf(m): 9:32am On Jul 29, 2011
Those olden are gone forever and Obas are aware of what the constitution said about this issue. To make the matter worse, the Oba in question is educated so he does not need any interpretation of the rule.

My own stand is lets be objective, he should face the law; if the law acquit him fine else confinement.

Recall the recent dethronement of Deji of Akure. He said what he did was customary but it lead to the breach of the public peace.

Why dont Obas go and be making human sacrifices these days in the name of custom.

I beg rape is rape, regardless of who is involved.
Re: Community Begs Aregbesola To Release King - A rapist by Ngodigha: 12:38pm On Jul 29, 2011
They should release the Igwe, but his manhood should be cut off so that he will not rrape again.
Re: Community Begs Aregbesola To Release King - A rapist by tpia5: 3:47pm On Jul 29, 2011
What is duduspace arguing about?

I dont see what's so hard to grasp about my post.

If a king announces publicly that he's going to marry a particular girl, chances are eight times out of ten the girl so named will run away rather than be added to his harem.

So what exactly is your point or do you just like being contentious for no reason.

As for customary law, the issue of gbese le only arose because there's a conflict here between the girl saying she was violated and the fact that accusing a king of r.ape is contradictory in itself. If you dont get it then kindly dont post.

I also pointed out there seems to have been a kind of prior relationship before the incident- which you conveniently chose to ignore. A nigerian man does not just spend money on a woman for no reason.

If it's established that this is indeed a r.apé case, then let all parties involved find ways to arbitrate the matter without turning it into the media circus it currently is.
Re: Community Begs Aregbesola To Release King - A rapist by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 10:37am On Jul 30, 2011
ra.pe is ra.pe and their is only one place for ra.pist and that is jail. Nobody wants to learn yoruba  ra.pe  culture. He should have just stuck to ra.pe ing his fellow yoruba's as usual, as dictates of culture.(customs) That girl is now forever going to have a phobia of yoruba's becos of the actions of their ruler of all people.

Had it been the common man we will say he is a miscreant, but how do we qualify an Oba raping an NYSC dat is serving her country Nigeria in his State. She was not their to observe yoruba culture but to serve Nigeria. NONSENSE.
Re: Community Begs Aregbesola To Release King - A rapist by tpia5: 2:10pm On Jul 30, 2011
is the girl not yoruba?

i assumed she was.

if she isnt, then na him enemies send am then, and he fell into the trap.
Re: Community Begs Aregbesola To Release King - A rapist by Afam4eva(m): 1:26am On Aug 04, 2011
This tpia is a sicko. An embarrasment to African women and animals since she's half goat, half human. Maybe the day you get raped you will be jailed for not opening your legs wide for the Oba rapist as the custom mandates. Anu nke ofia.
Re: Community Begs Aregbesola To Release King - A rapist by blank(f): 4:44pm On Aug 04, 2011
@ Tpiah, are you seriously justifying what the oba did? Like are you for real? In this day and age? I am so surprised at you even if the girl is Yoruba.

I tire for girls like you.
Re: Community Begs Aregbesola To Release King - A rapist by tpia5: 6:03pm On Aug 04, 2011
look, i said i've removed my hand from this matter. E no concern me.

dont drag me into it again.

@ blank

spare me the sanctimonious sermon, thanks.

read your post here and be surprised at that:

blank:

Its so annoying when girls dont know wen to stop. Throughout the 6 yrs i dated my husband, girls were constantly throwing themselves at him even some of my so called friends. Cos of the kind of open communication we have with each other, he tells me of such once they happen and i dont waste time setting them straight. Its all these little foxes dat spoil d vine. He will be so rude to them and tell them off but they will still persist.
There was a particular time, he travelled to PH and his ex had the temerity to invite herself to his house once she heard he was around though she knew we had been dating for 2 yrs (at dat time) and she was in d same school with me. Till 2day, i keep wondering why she wasnt in school with the rest of us. He immediately called me and told dat d chic, point blank refused to leave his house. I then asked to speak with her but she refused to speak with me. I immediately entered the next bus to PH though it was evening (couldnt leave her there over night with my bobo cos anything could happen). Wen she saw me, she almost jumped out of her skin and ran out of the house. She had already started making herself comfortable, cooking food and such trash while i saw my husband had bolted himself into his room. I didnt leave till the next week. Til 2day, the chic cant look me in d face.
This is just one of d numerous desperate chics dat i had 2 contend with. I am happy that u av d gud sense to refuse her cos some guys will start running things on d side.
Re: Community Begs Aregbesola To Release King - A rapist by blank(f): 9:25am On Aug 05, 2011
@ Tpiah, i dont see the relationship between the two. We are talking of rape by an Oba and you are bringing in a post about a girl throwing herself at my husband. Now, how this it relate?

Seems like you have serious issues. U possibly have a rape fetish.
Re: Community Begs Aregbesola To Release King - A rapist by tpia5: 4:14pm On Aug 05, 2011
^Shut up, will you.

Maybe you come from a jungle since you find simple concepts so difficult to grasp.

Kindly go find attention elsewhere because you are not going to get nl fame at my expense.

Bye.

go and monitor your husband since girls are after him.
Re: Community Begs Aregbesola To Release King - A rapist by blank(f): 4:21pm On Aug 05, 2011
tpia@:

^Shut up, will you.

Maybe you come from a jungle since you find simple concepts so difficult to grasp.

Kindly go find attention elsewhere because you are not going to get nl famous fame at my expense.

Bye.

Obviously, idiocy rests in you. You are the one talking of raping Yoruba girls and now you are trying to relate it to Nland fame.
You need your head examined.

(1) (Reply)

Police Constable Rapes Detained Nursing Mother / Debe Ojukwu: "I Can Not Lose In Court Because I Have Paid Off The Judges" / 9 Year Old Boy Marries 62 Year Old Woman To Please Ancestors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.