Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,719 members, 7,816,964 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:26 PM

Buhari Urges Return To Gold-Backed Currencies To End Inflation - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Buhari Urges Return To Gold-Backed Currencies To End Inflation (4164 Views)

Nigeria Inflation Soars To Almost Four-year High Of 12.8% / Exchange Rate Of African Currencies To Nigerian Naira. / Punter Backed Germany To Beat Brazil 7-1, Wins $46,000 [pix] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Urges Return To Gold-Backed Currencies To End Inflation by hakanai(m): 12:01pm On Jul 27, 2011
Buhari suggests return to gold standard

The former military head of state insists that linking money to gold would ensure price stability
Article | July 27, 2011 - 4:29am | By Olusola Babarinsa

Former Nigerian military head of state, General Muhammadu Buhari has said that only a return to the use of the gold standard can help governments globally and curtail budget deficits. The gold standard is a monetary system in which the standard economic unit of account is a fixed mass of gold rather than the US Dollar as had obtained since the end of the Second World War.

Buhari, who was the Presidential Candidate for the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) in the last elections, was speaking at the 2nd World Conference on Riba (interest) holding in Malaysia. He stressed that linking money to gold would ensure “price stability” in the long run.

“For the Islamic economy and for the world, only a return to the gold standard will ensure long term price stability (zero inflation), help governments curtail budget deficits and end fiscal indiscipline,” he said.

http://dailytimes.com.ng/article/buhari-suggests-return-gold-standard
Re: Buhari Urges Return To Gold-Backed Currencies To End Inflation by maclatunji: 12:31pm On Jul 27, 2011
The man is right, people are just printing paper (money) and expecting it to have real value. The gold standard makes a lot of sense. From what I have noticed, global power and economic structure changes at roughly 10-year intervals. The political and economic dynamics of the world will be very different from the last century.
Re: Buhari Urges Return To Gold-Backed Currencies To End Inflation by vicoloni(m): 12:49pm On Jul 27, 2011
He should go and stop Boko Haram first then we'll listen to his advise
Re: Buhari Urges Return To Gold-Backed Currencies To End Inflation by aletheia(m): 12:52pm On Jul 27, 2011
@Topic: Never thought I 'd agree with Buhari. I am pleasantly surprised by this.

vicoloni:

He should go and stop Boko Haram first then we'll listen to his advise
^
Stop being silly.
Re: Buhari Urges Return To Gold-Backed Currencies To End Inflation by Solozzo(m): 12:55pm On Jul 27, 2011
Good idea from the wise man!!!
Re: Buhari Urges Return To Gold-Backed Currencies To End Inflation by collinsJn(m): 12:56pm On Jul 27, 2011
“For the Islamic economy and for
the world, only a return to the
gold standard will ensure long
term price stability (zero
inflation) , help governments
curtail budget deficits and end
fiscal indiscipline,” he said.
Diz Man Self,MUST He Say Any Tin witout Islamic diz Islamic day ? Hiss,Am Out Of Here“For the Islamic economy and for
Diz Man Self,MUST He Say Any Tin witout Islamic diz Islamic day ? Hiss,Am Out Of Here
Re: Buhari Urges Return To Gold-Backed Currencies To End Inflation by maclatunji: 12:58pm On Jul 27, 2011
collins Jn:

“For the Islamic economy and for
Diz Man Self,MUST He Say Any Tin witout Islamic diz Islamic day ? Hiss,Am Out Of Here“For the Islamic economy and for
Diz Man Self,MUST He Say Any Tin witout Islamic diz Islamic day ? Hiss,Am Out Of Here

Good riddance!

Re: Buhari Urges Return To Gold-Backed Currencies To End Inflation by gungume: 12:59pm On Jul 27, 2011
Any right-thinking nigeria will agree with that UNLESS IF A PERSON IS SELF-CENTERED. Keep it up  you remain my HERO!!!
Re: Buhari Urges Return To Gold-Backed Currencies To End Inflation by Gbenge77(m): 1:01pm On Jul 27, 2011
Excellent.
Re: Buhari Urges Return To Gold-Backed Currencies To End Inflation by liquid7: 1:02pm On Jul 27, 2011
a lot of countries  and even individuals have since the global recession kept their money into gold  thus gold keeps rising  in price .
Examples are russia,venezula,france,germany,italy etc.
Some believe even that the reason italy has not long sicne fallen into a greece situation is due to creditors been a bit more on ease since they have a huge gold reserve.
Nigeria however has chosen the way of petro dollars  which can be dangerous espically with the current state of the USA economy.
I praise buhari for saying this .
Re: Buhari Urges Return To Gold-Backed Currencies To End Inflation by hajifaty: 1:12pm On Jul 27, 2011
Nigerians and their problems. The man is giving a good suggestion but some silly and senseless fellow are talking abt boko haram sect. So muslims don't have to contribute their ideas anymore for the development of the nation.
Re: Buhari Urges Return To Gold-Backed Currencies To End Inflation by hajifaty: 1:13pm On Jul 27, 2011
liquid7:

a lot of countries  and even individuals have since the global recession kept their money into gold  thus gold keeps rising  in price .
Examples are russia,venezula,france,germany,italy etc.
Some believe even that the reason italy has not long sicne fallen into a greece situation is due to creditors been a bit more on ease since they have a huge gold reserve.
Nigeria however has chosen the way of petro dollars  which can be dangerous espically with the current state of the USA economy.
I praise buhari for saying this .

You are right bro
Re: Buhari Urges Return To Gold-Backed Currencies To End Inflation by BP(m): 1:39pm On Jul 27, 2011
Is the OP a little ashamed to say that Buhari was saying this at an Islamic Banking-related conference? It's nothing to be ashamed about. I don't see why you intentionally cut off the part where it talked about where he said this.

This is what that story actually says:

"Buhari, who was the Presidential Candidate for the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) in the last elections, was speaking at the 2nd World Conference on Riba (interest) holding in Malaysia. He stressed that linking money to gold would ensure “price stability” in the long run.
Re: Buhari Urges Return To Gold-Backed Currencies To End Inflation by manny4life(m): 1:44pm On Jul 27, 2011
Yeah I agree per the Gold Standards but no one has said how such Gold standards should be maintained. IMO, I say trade in Gold. Imagine if oil is traded in Gold rather than $$$, for instance a barrel of oil is @ $98 and an ounce of gold is $1,600+, that's a 16.54 barrels for just one ounce of Gold, (an ounce not even up to American lbs). I support this as well. Gold is very expensive but stable, I guess why that's a lot of countries want to keep it as their reserve
Re: Buhari Urges Return To Gold-Backed Currencies To End Inflation by mckane1: 1:51pm On Jul 27, 2011
please, lets fight corruption first, all other things will fall into place
Re: Buhari Urges Return To Gold-Backed Currencies To End Inflation by stagger: 2:02pm On Jul 27, 2011
This Buhari man is too dense for words.

I have done a lot of research on the 1944 Bretton-Woods agreement that pegged the UD dollar to gold at $35 an ounce, and pegged other European currencies to the US dollar at varying rates and I can easily tell that such a system will NEVER work in today's world.

Does he know why that agreement collapsed in 1971? Since when did Buhari becoma a guru in Economics? How long did the price control regime he introduced in 1984 last? You do not control the supply of an item to match the demand, and you are setting price control. How does it work?

He should go and reign in his CPC members, many of whom I am sure are now in the Boko Haram and leave Economics to those who know.
Re: Buhari Urges Return To Gold-Backed Currencies To End Inflation by logic101: 2:19pm On Jul 27, 2011
stagger:

I have done a lot of research on the 1944 Bretton-Woods agreement that pegged the UD dollar to gold at $35 an ounce, and pegged other European currencies to the US dollar at varying rates and I can easily tell that such a system will NEVER work in today's world.

Does he know why that agreement collapsed in 1971? Since when did Buhari becoma a guru in Economics? How long did the price control regime he introduced in 1984 last? You do not control the supply of an item to match the demand, and you are setting price control. How does it work?

He should go and reign in his CPC members, many of whom I am sure are now in the Boko Haram and leave Economics to those who know.

Since when did western agreements become nigerians agreement.
Re: Buhari Urges Return To Gold-Backed Currencies To End Inflation by logic101: 2:22pm On Jul 27, 2011
food for thought
do you know that any non western nation that tried to introduce gold as a standard for money has been invaded.
1.libya
2.iraq

if gold is used it would not benefit the west.Buhari is one of a few nigerian leaders with a functioning thinking faculty
Re: Buhari Urges Return To Gold-Backed Currencies To End Inflation by hajifaty: 2:44pm On Jul 27, 2011
majority of we nigerians are dense and senseless. e.g logic101 and co. hatred will always keep us backward.

logic101:

Re: Buhari Urges Return To Gold-Backed Currencies To End Inflation by Reference(m): 3:20pm On Jul 27, 2011
It is a reasonably good idea. The US dollar and propellant, the US economy is tanking fast so is logical but the truth is that the US remains by far the largest economy so this idea like many others is impracticable. For two reasons. One, what designates worlds currencies and their worth viz a viz other currencies and commodities remains trade. The US is by far the largest consumer of world products so you can expect them to pay with what they have don't we wink. Secondly, China which is the second largest and pressing hard for a 2025 (there about) take over is not likely to press for a standard they do not excel in. Gold is not just their thing and when they become top dog why would they prefer the gold over the Yuan as the world's reserve currency. That's why they are not pressing for it. They will have their currency very soon and the very smart (very long term) money would be stacking up the yuan instead of gold which is good now but can't last beyond 2015.

The truth is that you cannot demand for what you cannot supply. You cannot demand gold when you cannot supply economic growth, consumption or productivity so you may ask what is Nigeria doing there together with some of those countries whose only claim to world dominance is the number of barrels of oil under their footstools. That tet-a-tet should be between the big boys and we know them. Nigeria and her leaders should rather expend their energies on making us relevant by nothing more than sheer hardwork and enterprise so we can survive in the coming conglomeration of nationalistic economic forces that if we cannot manage could reduce us to nothing but mineral supplying slaves. angry
Re: Buhari Urges Return To Gold-Backed Currencies To End Inflation by NSNA: 3:24pm On Jul 27, 2011
Global Currency = Gold

best option
Re: Buhari Urges Return To Gold-Backed Currencies To End Inflation by stagger: 3:53pm On Jul 27, 2011
logic101:

Can you name one item you are producing in Nigeria which is not being imported right now? Even your crude oil you think you are making money on, they refine and cause you to buy it back from them, telling you not to fix your refineries, telling you to sell it the way NAFCON and Eleme Petrochemical company was sold to the Indians, telling you you should privatise everything and sell to the foreigners with the collusion of people like Atiku and Odili who still retain shareholding interests in those companies.

Are you so dumb that you cannot see where such a "gold-standard" policy for a 100% import-dependent nation like Nigeria will take us?

Haba mana! We should think please!
Re: Buhari Urges Return To Gold-Backed Currencies To End Inflation by walmed: 4:52pm On Jul 27, 2011
Good advice from the General, all sentiments apart.
Re: Buhari Urges Return To Gold-Backed Currencies To End Inflation by honeric01(m): 5:00pm On Jul 27, 2011
Nice one from one of my best Nigerians still living.

With Gold, we don't have to tear another country down because they are doing well, Australia is an example!
Re: Buhari Urges Return To Gold-Backed Currencies To End Inflation by satos123(m): 5:50pm On Jul 27, 2011
sanusi, is also a problem to this country because is not doing anything on international market. e.g dollar is #152 b4 but now is #157.
Re: Buhari Urges Return To Gold-Backed Currencies To End Inflation by Seun(m): 6:38pm On Jul 27, 2011
Actually, it's not a good idea. I was expecting a vigorous debate on the issue but got nothing.
Re: Buhari Urges Return To Gold-Backed Currencies To End Inflation by Ileya: 7:13pm On Jul 27, 2011
Actually, Seun, this would be a most excellent idea. The only problem is that this would place Nigeria firmly   and permanently on the Terrorist List. Backing ones currency with the yellow metal is generally frowned upon by the IMF/World back etc. It is an action that would place us in the[b] Axis of Evil[/b]. Besides, it is presently (LEGALLY) impossible for Nigeria to back the Naira with Gold for one reason alone - we have outstanding commitments with the aforementioned, usual suspects, IMF/World Bank. Several things happen when a country borrows money from the IMF/World Bank, I will not go into all of them but will mention the critical ones:-

1. Your Banking system cannot practice Fractional Reserve Lending
2. You cannot back your currency with gold - (As part of the Gold Swaps agreement, the Gold from the Central Bank will be   physically moved to London/New York, but more importantly, it most still remain on the books of the Central Bank as though the Gold is still in Abuja, for Auditing purposes)
3. The country must implement suggested austerity measures from the IMF/World Bank

Any country that is without outstanding liabilities to the gnomes in Zurich/London/New York is effectively a free, sovereign country.  This cannot be encourged. You see, the[b] Debtor is Slave to the Lender[/b]. Have you ever asked yourself, why do we have external reserves of US$ 50bn,but still go to these people with cap-in-hand, begging for a facility of 10 million? Does not make sense. Now you know why. The country must be kept in perpetual debt.

All these rules and regulations are buried in the annals of the IMF/World Bank.

We have basically been sold down the river by our 'leaders', if we can call them that.

If Buhari (and other Northern folks) are serious about this, then it might explain the Boko Haram incidents and hence, we should expect more of the same. Gold-backed currency is trully Axis of Evil stuff.

Enough said.
Re: Buhari Urges Return To Gold-Backed Currencies To End Inflation by success4(m): 7:19pm On Jul 27, 2011
stagger:

What yeye research have you done? A good research will tell you that GOLD standard remain the best!  
Why trolling? Check the highlighted
Re: Buhari Urges Return To Gold-Backed Currencies To End Inflation by Ileya: 7:27pm On Jul 27, 2011
YES. GOLD IS MONEY.

Everything else is paper which will burn. Infact, the fireworks is soon to commence.
Re: Buhari Urges Return To Gold-Backed Currencies To End Inflation by stagger: 8:01pm On Jul 27, 2011
success4:

What yeye research have you done? A good research will tell you that GOLD standard remain the best!  
Why trolling? Check the highlighted

Let us have an intellectual discussion on this subject starting now. I have already pointed out that a gold standard cannot work for an import oriented economy, because you need to sell in order to even get the gold to hold as reserves to support your currency.

Go and read the mercantilist scholarly articles written in the 18th century and you will see how even in those early days, the Europeans knew that in order to dominate the Third World, they had to turn us into import driven nations.

Let us hear your own argument on this matter.

Tell us why you would support a gold standard. Over to you.
Re: Buhari Urges Return To Gold-Backed Currencies To End Inflation by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jul 27, 2011
shoow! nah wah for we so called leaders,

what is the true value of gold?
shiny metal that has limited industrial use.
BH reminds my of the original Yahoos from Gulliver's travel.
There was a reason why they switched from Gold after the great depression.
BH is just portraying his anti-western, anti-American views.
Of recent calls have been made to ditch the dollar as an international trade currency by some top
OPEC members, notably Chavez of Venezuela. This all fizzled out with no better alternate (and Gold didn't even got mentioned) and with the
tacit preference of the Chinese sticking with the green back.
BH is probably reacting (tho highlighting his ignorance) of the current debt re-payment debacle going on in washington.
If the gold standard is adopted, the U.S. will still remain at the top. Maybe BH hasn't heard of Fort-Knox. And were will
this new standard leave Nigeria? Gold is currently at a record high, should we then convert our external reserves to Gold or has
BH discovered a major gold reserve in Katsina?
Id-iota!

Re: Buhari Urges Return To Gold-Backed Currencies To End Inflation by Seun(m): 10:55pm On Jul 27, 2011
Check out this article
In short, you don't get anything out of a gold standard that you didn't bring with you. If your government is a credible steward of the money supply, you don't need it; and if it isn't, it won't be able to stay on it long anyway. (See Argentina's dollar peg). Meanwhile, the limitations on the government's ability to respond to fiscal crises, the necessity of defending against speculative attacks in times of crises, and the possibility of independent changes in the relative price of gold, make your economy more unstable. It's a terrible idea, which is why there are so few economists willing to raise their voices in support of it.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2007/09/there-apos-s-gold-in-them-thar-standards/1858/

(1) (2) (Reply)

3 Nigeria's Most Trusted Websites To Buy And Sell Bitcoin, Perfectmoney & Others / LIST Of Failed Smes In NIGERIA / Who Sells Original Black Dye For Cloth Here?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.