Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,657 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:29 PM

Is There A Market For Tilapia Fish - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is There A Market For Tilapia Fish (7960 Views)

Market For Tilapia Fish / Omi, Ogun Waterside: A Market Where People Still Do Trade By Barter (Photos) / Please advice me on how to reach a market for cucumbers in Nigeria. - Urgent. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There A Market For Tilapia Fish by greenhope(m): 8:17am On Jul 28, 2011
I just discovered that tilapia fish can now be raised in commercial quantity with a new breakthrough in its hatching which produces only male fish. In the past the problem has been that they are prolific in birth giving which leads to overcrowding and stout growth but with this invention Tilapia fish also know as Aqua Chicken can now be raised in commercial quantity.

My question is, is there a market for it in commercial quantity since it does not stay alive longer outside water like catfish?
Re: Is There A Market For Tilapia Fish by greenhope(m): 5:13pm On Jul 29, 2011
I asked for market on Tilapia not Snail. @Zogo
Re: Is There A Market For Tilapia Fish by Seun(m): 8:07pm On Jul 29, 2011
What's the local name for Tilapia fish?
Re: Is There A Market For Tilapia Fish by mkmyers45(m): 1:00pm On Jul 30, 2011
There is a huge market abroad especially for frozen or smoked fish
Re: Is There A Market For Tilapia Fish by Sholaf(f): 4:06pm On Jul 30, 2011
@ Seun
Local name for Tilapia is EPIYA.
Re: Is There A Market For Tilapia Fish by Evans5050: 4:18pm On Jul 30, 2011
Why don't you get the fish well dried , sell locally and equally export?
Re: Is There A Market For Tilapia Fish by kunlekunle: 7:14pm On Jul 30, 2011
you can create a market for your product
it requires time and effort.
look for other guys with other varieties of fish and create a fish market for a group of pple
Re: Is There A Market For Tilapia Fish by greenhope(m): 6:58am On Jul 31, 2011
I think the local name for tilipia is Obokun.
Re: Is There A Market For Tilapia Fish by greenhope(m): 7:02am On Jul 31, 2011
Thanks for everybody that said I should get the fish well dried for export market which is a very good idea. I will start looking for a smoking cane that can serve both tilipia and catfish but if anybody here has a contact or buyer abroad pls let me know.

08020394888 club4freedom@yahoo.com

Andy
Re: Is There A Market For Tilapia Fish by Olaisrich(m): 8:13am On Jul 31, 2011
Tilapia is my favorite fish here in Ghana,infact,whille catfish is popular in Nigeria it is Tilapia in Ghana.Majority of them were being caught from Volta River, hence the name VOLTA CATCH. There is a very wide portion of the Volta River that looks like a pond most especially in Kpong axis.Now to how it is being market, the big wigs harvest and store in a coldroom where the market women come in there numbers to buy and they do there preservation with the help of broken ice blocks stock together with the fish in a sack,getting to market they sell all day, the left over can then be further preserve buy drying or smoking but pretty sure they will made there gain from the sale.Some market women go to the river directly and straight to the market in that way they make more
gain.Aside that Tilapia is very popular in all the restaurants and and Hotels where they sell at exhorbitant rates.
Re: Is There A Market For Tilapia Fish by Akanbiedu(m): 9:26am On Jul 31, 2011
poster,

did you say otapiapia or antitpiah? antitpiah sounds nice, i will like to have a plate of peppersoup.
Re: Is There A Market For Tilapia Fish by member479760: 9:27am On Jul 31, 2011
a bega has no options anything wey be food go go for naija!
Re: Is There A Market For Tilapia Fish by whoelse1(m): 9:59am On Jul 31, 2011
there's a market for tilapia fish inTurkey. I suggest u google it or visit alibaba.com for more info!

Buyers yapaaaa for there!but shine ur eyes shocked shocked shocked cry cry
Re: Is There A Market For Tilapia Fish by Sholaf(f): 10:04am On Jul 31, 2011
greenhope:

I think the local name for tilipia is Obokun.

Yoruba local names are:
Tilapia: Epiya or Epia
Obokun: Cat fish.
Re: Is There A Market For Tilapia Fish by Nobody: 10:34am On Jul 31, 2011
Shola (f):

Yoruba local names are:
Tilapia: Epiya or Epia
Obokun: Cat fish.

Good thing you made that correction before i got here, i was going to add a slap to the correction.
Re: Is There A Market For Tilapia Fish by shawonlese: 10:44am On Jul 31, 2011
Tilapia used to be the main fish for peppersoup delicacy before catfish became prominent.
Re: Is There A Market For Tilapia Fish by nigerfine: 11:02am On Jul 31, 2011
PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT YOU CANT SELL TILAPIA OR EVEN CATFISH IN USA,THEY ARE VERY CHEAP,BIG AND , UNLESS IF WELL SMOKED,THEN U COULD MAKE IMPACT.IN USA STORES ,THERE ARE SMOKED FISH BUT NOT TILAPIA.
Re: Is There A Market For Tilapia Fish by Princek12(m): 2:22pm On Jul 31, 2011
If you flood the Nigerian market with tilapia, trust me people will buy it. Nigerians love tilapia and cat fish, and I don't think you can go wrong with tilapia.
Re: Is There A Market For Tilapia Fish by eridah2007(m): 3:50pm On Jul 31, 2011
Hehehehe[b] TILAPIA[/b] grin grin
Re: Is There A Market For Tilapia Fish by JimmyBoy1: 4:03pm On Jul 31, 2011
Epiya too they get bone na, I prefer croacker to all of them.
Re: Is There A Market For Tilapia Fish by docchuks(m): 10:50am On Jun 12, 2016
Re: Is There A Market For Tilapia Fish by babytejiri(m): 7:46am On Jun 14, 2016
Re: Is There A Market For Tilapia Fish by lebete3000: 1:10pm On Feb 04, 2018
nigerfine:
PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT YOU CANT SELL TILAPIA OR EVEN CATFISH IN USA,THEY ARE VERY CHEAP,BIG AND , UNLESS IF WELL SMOKED,THEN U COULD MAKE IMPACT.IN USA STORES ,THERE ARE SMOKED FISH BUT NOT TILAPIA.

Why us it against the law to sell Tilapia in the US.

(1) (Reply)

Which Business Can A Student Start With 20k That Is Less Time Consuming / Oil Prices Jump On U.s-china Trade Hopes, Supply Cuts / Should Banks Charge Customers For Unsolicited SMS Alerts?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.