Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,900 members, 7,834,989 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 11:58 PM

Any Body Preparing For Gre & Toefl, I Need Study Partiners - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Any Body Preparing For Gre & Toefl, I Need Study Partiners (1014 Views)

University Of Benin Students Preparing For Exam(pictures) / GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria / Preparing for GRE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Body Preparing For Gre & Toefl, I Need Study Partiners by Efiko(m): 12:48am On Aug 14, 2007
Hi

I need study partners for GRE & TOEFL exams,

I hope to write by November/December

08036480732 & 08053541343
Re: Any Body Preparing For Gre & Toefl, I Need Study Partiners by Eyohimself(m): 11:12pm On Aug 15, 2007
Hi,
Howdy! I'm also preparing for the GRE. So what are you up to? I'll be writing TOEFL in september and GRE anytime from now.I've been preparing for some days now and the verbal part has really been nerve-wracking. So whats up? You plan on using the scores for fall'08 admission.Come on, lets study together via this forum. Let me know how u intend to crack the verbal part of the GRE-thats a real hurdle to cross; as an engineering undergrad, the quantitative section has been going smoothly.
Holla and let's make this thread interactive!
Re: Any Body Preparing For Gre & Toefl, I Need Study Partiners by Efiko(m): 11:28pm On Aug 15, 2007
my yahoo messengr ID is ayegba_s@yahoo.com

U can buzz me so we could start interacting.

I'm also an engineering student @ hope to enroll for MSc (Engineering Management) in Texas A&M or any other Texan Reputable Institution

The major challenge is the verbal but i believe through association & repeatation, we could cross over that hurdle by say practising just 5 words a day, etc

NB

_Knowledge acquire through ASSOCIATION is never forgotten

_Repeatation Strengthens the Memory

_Two heads are always better than one

_Team work DIVIDES effort and MULTIPLY result
Re: Any Body Preparing For Gre & Toefl, I Need Study Partiners by Eyohimself(m): 3:39pm On Sep 10, 2007
Where the guys preparing for the GRE? Come let's share ideas on this forum. I took the exam about a week ago and got a very low score. Preparing to retake it in october. The stuff aint that tasking, it's just the timing that gave short-breathed me. We need ideas on this forum men on how to crack this so called GRE and raise our scores!
Re: Any Body Preparing For Gre & Toefl, I Need Study Partiners by mayordee(m): 12:34pm On Sep 11, 2007
sup guys,am writing the GRE too anytime from now,where do u think someone can get the CD-ROM or any useful materials,Am usiing Barron's how to prepare for the GRE,the verbal part is really giving me serious headache,what do you think i should do?
Re: Any Body Preparing For Gre & Toefl, I Need Study Partiners by rachiwise(f): 10:47pm On Sep 11, 2007
Hi guys,
i would also be writing my GRE/TOFEL exams soon,also for a sch in Texas,Houston.i have a cousin who has sent a GRE CD(the book is too heavy 2 be sent) to me and i hope to have it by this weekend.
i have some materials i'm reading but i have not started serious reading.Pls let's help out as much as we can.
Read well my friends.Cheers

Least i forget,i wrote a thread on GRE/TOFEL centres in Abjua,dont know if u guys can help out.hoping to nwrite my exams by the end of nxt month.Check my thread out:

Any Clue on GRE/TOFEL?
Please does anyone have a clue on GRE/TOFEL centres in Abuja?if any,where?also any clue on the fees.Please it is urgent.Thanks.
Re: Any Body Preparing For Gre & Toefl, I Need Study Partiners by Eyohimself(m): 10:16am On Sep 12, 2007
Guys, great to see that people are preparing for the GRE . We can make this forum very interactive. Well, if you are just starting your preparation and
you are aiming for as high a score as possible, I think 6-8 weeks is enough to work out a definitive plan on how to prepare for the GRE. Depending your
background, I'll advise tackling the vocabulary section first: I am assuming you have strong math skills and have got at least 6 weeks for preparation.
This was how I prepared for the first trial. I'll be writing again ending of next month. I was short on time- I had barely three weeks. I designed a very
grueling schedule. I used the Barrons for my preps. The Barron has won the confidence of many including me.In my real test, all the words I encountered were Barrons.It is still one of the best preparation material out there. It has about 50 wordlist with about 70 words in each wordlist (WL). So the WL is normally adverted by GRE aficinados as "The GRE 3500 Hit Parade". As this is a GRE forum, I'll suggest we always be on the GRE mode when we are here and use GRE cants to make the forum very engaging.
My grueling schedule was such that I studied the 50 WL in 15 days. I sedulously perused through 3-4 WL per day and with great assiduity and application that, by the 16th day I was through with the List and with an impressive 70% retention.But this is not the best method. I feel it is better to tackle it at your pace. You devise your own technique and work with it religiously.The remaining 7 days I used for practice and it helped inculcate the words deeper and also revealed that I had Reading Comprehension(RC) as one of my foibles. As there was not enough time, that costed me some huge marks on the Verbal.
For math, being an Engineering major, I thought that was going to be a zephyr ( yeah, I'll use this word here embarassed) . I was wrong. I got flailed by GRE quant. Friends, don't underrate the quant. If really you want a very high score on the quantitative section, then you must not underrate this part as it might cost you some valuable points even if it is 10-20 which might be a touchstone in determining if you are getting an admit or not. So I'm of the contention that we should use this forum to sharpen our math skills. Whenever I come across actual GRE math questions, I'll post them here for solutions to be tendered and for us to get a feel of the difficulty index of the GRE.Questions are repeated on GRE often.
I'll be writing the GRE in about 35 days time from now. Having gone through the Barrons WL superficially once, I'm doing it for the second time though this time conscentiously, 2 WLs/ day. Come on, dudes, I'm sure we can work together via this forum. Though the GRE is not the single most important factor on your graduate application and sure not a means to an end, I aver that it is highly weighted especially for those of us from countries where it is quite difficult for the admission committee to comment on our educational standards. So the GRE becomes a factor to be used to compare academic achievements of different applicants as they claim it is a standardized test.
Well, I'll update this thread later but I hope we could work together and share opinion on how to crack the GRE. I've got some e-materials. If you think it would be of help to you, then let's interact via this forum and I'll send it across to you. Wishing you all the best as you diligently prepare to your prep heyday and finally unravel the mysteries to an GRE 1600 on the D-day. Bravo!
Re: Any Body Preparing For Gre & Toefl, I Need Study Partiners by Eyohimself(m): 12:07pm On Sep 12, 2007
These are actual GRE Quant questions . They are of difficulty level between 650 and 750.

1. (x+2)^(x+2)<-1

Column A Column B

X -1

2.What is the probability of picking 12 soldiers from a camp of 15 soldiers if 5 soldiers are injured? - The guy I that sat beside me got this as his first question.

3.In 1979 the average homeheating cost in central region was same as the average for entire country, in 1980 central average cost increasd by $260 per home, an increase of 25% over 1979. If in 1080 average cost of of entire cntry increased by 22%, wat was average increase in cost per home for entire country?

A. 57.2

B. 65

C. 228.8

D. 317

E. 325

4. On a certain scale of intensity, each i ncrement of 10 in magnitude represents a tenfold increase
in intensity. On this scale, an intensity corresponding to a magnitude of 165 is how many
times an intensity corresponding to a magnitude of 125?
(A) 40
(B) 100
(C) 400
(D) 1,000
(E) 10,000

5. A vending machine dispenses gumballs in a regularly repeating cycle
of ten different colors. If a quarter buys 3 gumballs, what is the
minimum amount of money that must be spent before three gumballs of the
same color are dispensed?

(A) $1.00
(B) $1.75
(C) $2.00
(D) $2.25
(E) $2.50

6.Two trains 100 m and 150m in length long are going in the same direction on parralel tracks.Faster train speed is 60 kmph and slower train speed 42 km ph.At what time does faster train overtake the slower train?. I've forgotten the option but I know the answer.

7. k is a positive integer. The function f(x) is defined as:
f(x)= remainder when x is divided by k.
What is the value of k , if f(k+25)=3.
Re: Any Body Preparing For Gre & Toefl, I Need Study Partiners by Eyohimself(m): 12:16pm On Sep 12, 2007
I'll post some problems of quant level 800 later so you have a feel. If you know anyone who wrote the exam, ask them to tell you some of the questions

they can remember. You post them here so we can benefit too.
Re: Any Body Preparing For Gre & Toefl, I Need Study Partiners by Eyohimself(m): 10:30am On Sep 14, 2007
Why is this thread kind of dormant? Do some brainstormings, men and be kind to post the upshot here.

(1) (Reply)

I'm Confuse About Waec2007 Result / Pre-degree In Any Of The School / When Is Lasu Post Ume Coming Up?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.