Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,624 members, 7,827,330 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:39 AM

Nigerians Speak The Best Pidgin In The Whole Of Africa - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerians Speak The Best Pidgin In The Whole Of Africa (3963 Views)

Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa / Why Do Nigerians Speak Fake Fune, Especially Outside Nigeria? / Beautiful Faces Of Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Speak The Best Pidgin In The Whole Of Africa by onila(f): 9:07pm On Jul 28, 2011
na us wey speak am pass jo
even my African friends admit it
Re: Nigerians Speak The Best Pidgin In The Whole Of Africa by kumamoto: 1:14am On Jul 29, 2011
I hate Pidgin English. It really is an insult to Africa, because when foreigners hear Africans speaking it, they might think that they have no languages of their own. Africa has around a thousand languages, and they should all be promoted. Just think of the great languages of Nigeria such as Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, Fula, Efik, Kanuri, Tiv, Nupe, and so many more. Pidgin English is just like baby talk, and I hate it so much. I think of those who speak it as sell-outs.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Speak The Best Pidgin In The Whole Of Africa by tpia5: 3:17am On Jul 29, 2011
3 posts?
Re: Nigerians Speak The Best Pidgin In The Whole Of Africa by Goldieluks: 8:05am On Jul 29, 2011
OP,na true you dey yarn so,
Because when my friends from Sierra Leone dey speak their pidgin english,i feel very uncomfortable like wth are they saying.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Speak The Best Pidgin In The Whole Of Africa by kumamoto: 12:55pm On Jul 29, 2011
Yes, I know, I've only just joined this week. But anyway, let me say that I hate Pidgin English, and it is so sad to see real African languages being threatened with extinction due to the use of Pidgin English. The situation is very worrying in Sierra Leone and Liberia. In Sierra Leone I want to hear languages such as Temne, Mende, Susu, and Vai; not that horrible Pidgin English that they call Krio.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Speak The Best Pidgin In The Whole Of Africa by lepasharon(f): 3:04am On Jul 30, 2011
onila:

na us wey speak am pass jo
even my African friends admit it

have u ever heard the pidgin of sierra lone? shocked pidgin english is deir main lingo wah ya say to dat??
Re: Nigerians Speak The Best Pidgin In The Whole Of Africa by kumamoto: 11:01am On Jul 30, 2011
All Pidgin English should be banned. It is nothing but disgusting baby talk. It is seriously threatening the indigenous languages of Sierra Leone and Liberia, and possibly even Nigeria. We must only speak real indigenous languages.
Re: Nigerians Speak The Best Pidgin In The Whole Of Africa by rabzy: 1:30pm On Aug 02, 2011
The sierra leone pidgin does not sound complete, its very broken and it does not flow like the Nigerian pidgin. But seriously the pidgin in salone is now a local language
Re: Nigerians Speak The Best Pidgin In The Whole Of Africa by kumamoto: 3:54pm On Aug 02, 2011
We must never allow any form of English Pidgin to be considered as a proper language. It should only be real languages that we should speak. It is so sad that in Sierra Leone, the real languages such as Mende, Temne, Susu, and Vai, and being threatened by that ugly Pidgin English.
Re: Nigerians Speak The Best Pidgin In The Whole Of Africa by onila(f): 2:01am On Sep 01, 2011
Nigerian pidgin is the best
Re: Nigerians Speak The Best Pidgin In The Whole Of Africa by Nobody: 12:09pm On Sep 02, 2011
kumamoto:

All Pidgin English should be banned.  It is nothing but disgusting baby talk.  It is seriously threatening the indigenous languages of Sierra Leone and Liberia, and possibly even Nigeria.  We must only speak real indigenous languages.

And in the absence of an umbrella-language like Kiswahili, how do you facilitate communication between distinct and language-discrete ethnic groups like the Temnes, Limbas, Mendes, Fulas, Kisis, Kolos,, etc
I used to think just like this - refusing to acknowledge the importance of a unifying language like pidgin English or Krio - in the face of insurmountable odds grin
Experience has since taught me otherwise. Today I count several married (Nigerian) couples who do not speak a common language among my friends.
Re: Nigerians Speak The Best Pidgin In The Whole Of Africa by KnowAll(m): 7:01pm On Sep 04, 2011
When educated fellows in Naija speak pidgin it flows well, they tend to switch between speaking very good English and Pidgin that is what makes Naija pidgin unique.In fact pidgin at times is use to douse a heated argument or emphasis a point. The Nigerian variant is really the best.
Re: Nigerians Speak The Best Pidgin In The Whole Of Africa by Dyamante(f): 10:22pm On Feb 04, 2012
How can it be the 'best' in Africa when its only spoken in West Africa?
Just saying,
Re: Nigerians Speak The Best Pidgin In The Whole Of Africa by lepasharon(f): 11:05pm On Feb 04, 2012
kumamoto:

We must never allow any form of English Pidgin to be considered as a proper language.  It should only be real languages that we should speak.  It is so sad that in Sierra Leone, the real languages such as Mende, Temne, Susu, and Vai, and being threatened by that ugly Pidgin English.

Wow i dint even know that sirra leone has their own language shocked
Re: Nigerians Speak The Best Pidgin In The Whole Of Africa by StarFlux: 1:32pm On Feb 05, 2012
Without pidgin, how do you propose people communicate? An universal language is needed.
Re: Nigerians Speak The Best Pidgin In The Whole Of Africa by Dyamante(f): 4:14pm On Feb 09, 2012
@StarFlux but english is already in existence
Re: Nigerians Speak The Best Pidgin In The Whole Of Africa by ifyalways(f): 11:52am On Feb 15, 2012
I love Sierra Leone and Liberia pidgin better.
Re: Nigerians Speak The Best Pidgin In The Whole Of Africa by Nobody: 5:23pm On Feb 21, 2017
Dyamante:
Just saying,
its not just Africa that its is spoken oo, no dey talk wetin u no knw
Re: Nigerians Speak The Best Pidgin In The Whole Of Africa by Nobody: 5:24pm On Feb 21, 2017
Dyamante:
Just saying,
its not just west africa that its is spoken oo, no dey talk wetin u no knw

(1) (Reply)

What Can You Say About Nigeria / Seun Osewa Did You See This? / Can You Still Recite Your Oriki? (literary Genre)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.