Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,767 members, 7,959,385 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 03:47 PM

What Are The Functions Of Cruise And Over Drive On A Gear Stick? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Are The Functions Of Cruise And Over Drive On A Gear Stick? (20542 Views)

Can You Drive On Nigerian Roads Without Scratches? / These Are Duties And Functions Of LASTMA, VIO And FRSC Officers - AutoReportNG / Help My Kia Cerato Is Making Unusual Noise When I Shift The Gear Stick (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Functions Of Cruise And Over Drive On A Gear Stick? by deavicky(m): 8:24am On Jul 18, 2022
ThreeEyedRaven:
Cruise is when you’re catching cruise or vining cheesy cheesy

Just kidding I’m also waiting for experts to come address this
if u don't want to push the acceleration pedal (probably u want to relax) u engage the cruise and the vehicle starts driving itself. It's like an autopilot.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Functions Of Cruise And Over Drive On A Gear Stick? by jef131: 8:25am On Jul 18, 2022
Let me ask Google I will be right back
Re: What Are The Functions Of Cruise And Over Drive On A Gear Stick? by EkelediliBuhari: 8:35am On Jul 18, 2022
Great reply this far

I’ll like to add on OD function

This function allows the automatic transmission to downshift when you throttle down … it’s the same function as when you downshift on a manual car…

1 Like

Re: What Are The Functions Of Cruise And Over Drive On A Gear Stick? by nedekid: 8:35am On Jul 18, 2022
Equilibrium959:
Good morning…

I discovered that My O/D light blinks on the dashboard, then when I put the car on D (drive) it doesn’t take off not until I match the turtle.

Please, I needs help.

Toyota Camry (Orobo)
Maybe you should check your gear oil for starters.
Have you also recently changed your brake pads, or driven in water and afterwards used your handbrake? That could make your pads hold on to your disk.
Re: What Are The Functions Of Cruise And Over Drive On A Gear Stick? by BlessedJonMoss: 8:41am On Jul 18, 2022
demoBaba:

Which state are you?

Lagos State
Re: What Are The Functions Of Cruise And Over Drive On A Gear Stick? by Igbudu1: 8:48am On Jul 18, 2022
Nice Post for the Auto bit if nairaland

just to quickly add that these auto functions are ONLY for Automatic vehicles, ... the caveat has to be stated , so as manual vehicle owners wont go and be seeking for such functions on their vehicles o grin grin grin
Re: What Are The Functions Of Cruise And Over Drive On A Gear Stick? by phranco(m): 8:56am On Jul 18, 2022
kernniejay:
1. The Cruise Control helps you to maintain your speed steadily at where you set the cruise control without using the throttle when you are on the highway. All you have to do is to control the direction of the car by the steering wheel. The vehicle will maintain its speed without you pressing the accelerator. Once you press the brake, the cruise control is deactivated.

2. The Over Drive (OD) helps your car to run at a higher speed without laboring your engine. The OD will reduce your RPM even when your car is at a high speed, thereby reducing your engine labour and fuel consumption. This will make your engine last longer.

The difference between Cruise Control and Over Drive is that, when you set the cruise control, you dont use your throttle/accelerator again while your vehicle keeps speeding at the steady kilometer per hour rate you want. BUT with the OD while you keep using your accelerator to determine your speed, your engine will not suffer any pressure or labour. The OD is best used when you are at top speed on highway, as the speed will not strain your engine. OD will not let your engine overwork by the speed.
Caveat - OD is not to be used for towing or climbing uphill road.
Gurus, your thoughts and further explanations pls.
cc: GAZZUZZ, diportivo, nurey, Kingreign, Heavenlybang, luvinhubby, radautoworks, dru23, buygala, Dozieson etc.

Mynd44, Lalasticlala kindly move to FP for more education.
You are correct bro, I mostly use overdrive when I want to overtake on a highway. It increases my speed and reduces the pressure on my engine, then I can overtake swiftly, even if you are on same speed with me. Overdrive works for me only when I'm on 100km/h speed and above, it doesn't work when your speed is below this, I'm talking from my own experience

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Functions Of Cruise And Over Drive On A Gear Stick? by aycapri(m): 9:01am On Jul 18, 2022
Secondt44:
Cruise control allows you to maintain a set speed without using the accelerator. Once you've selected the speed, you can take your foot off the accelerator and the vehicle will cruise at that speed.
what if I apply brake then release it, will the car still go back to the “set” speed?
Re: What Are The Functions Of Cruise And Over Drive On A Gear Stick? by harmargedon: 9:16am On Jul 18, 2022
So since 2015 you never know wetin be cruise. Ok let me break it down for you. Since 2015 Nigeria have been on cruise mode, but the next president will take us on an over drive grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Are The Functions Of Cruise And Over Drive On A Gear Stick? by Papichulostunne(m): 9:18am On Jul 18, 2022
kernniejay:
1. The Cruise Control helps you to maintain your speed steadily at where you set the cruise control without using the throttle when you are on the highway. All you have to do is to control the direction of the car by the steering wheel. The vehicle will maintain its speed without you pressing the accelerator. Once you press the brake, the cruise control is deactivated.

2. The Over Drive (OD) helps your car to run at a higher speed without laboring your engine. The OD will reduce your RPM even when your car is at a high speed, thereby reducing your engine labour and fuel consumption. This will make your engine last longer.

The difference between Cruise Control and Over Drive is that, when you set the cruise control, you dont use your throttle/accelerator again while your vehicle keeps speeding at the steady kilometer per hour rate you want. BUT with the OD while you keep using your accelerator to determine your speed, your engine will not suffer any pressure or labour. The OD is best used when you are at top speed on highway, as the speed will not strain your engine. OD will not let your engine overwork by the speed.
cc: GAZZUZZ, diportivo, nurey, Kingreign, Heavenlybang, luvinhubby, radautoworks, dru23, buygala, Dozieson etc.

Nice google research.. That was what the OP should have done instead of asking that silly question here.
Re: What Are The Functions Of Cruise And Over Drive On A Gear Stick? by godofuck231: 9:20am On Jul 18, 2022
sekem:

I thought they have already cured you of your craze?
lol that one choke
Re: What Are The Functions Of Cruise And Over Drive On A Gear Stick? by FuckDModz: 9:36am On Jul 18, 2022
Creditalerts:
OD old drivers

Cruise control , avoiding catching Cruise with land cruiser

Re: What Are The Functions Of Cruise And Over Drive On A Gear Stick? by ThreeEyedRaven: 10:04am On Jul 18, 2022
deavicky:
if u don't want to push the acceleration pedal (probably u want to relax) u engage the cruise and the vehicle starts driving itself. It's like an autopilot.
Thank you I’ll try it out for myself
Re: What Are The Functions Of Cruise And Over Drive On A Gear Stick? by makson007: 10:11am On Jul 18, 2022
Equilibrium959:
Good morning…

I discovered that My O/D light blinks on the dashboard, then when I put the car on D (drive) it doesn’t take off not until I match the turtle.

Please, I needs help.

Toyota Camry (Orobo)

when your gear is in O/D It means your car will be running in between gear 1 and gear 2.
if you press the o/d button again, your gear select from 1 to gear 5.
Re: What Are The Functions Of Cruise And Over Drive On A Gear Stick? by vuc1(m): 10:15am On Jul 18, 2022
Heard keeping your vehicle on overdrive damages the gear box though I don't know how true that is. Experts enlighten me.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Functions Of Cruise And Over Drive On A Gear Stick? by IronSponge23(m): 10:22am On Jul 18, 2022
You can only find cruise control in SUVs. Sowie, your Es330 don't have one.
Re: What Are The Functions Of Cruise And Over Drive On A Gear Stick? by makson007: 10:23am On Jul 18, 2022
If O/D is display on the dashboard,it means your car is in over drive. your car will be running btw gear 1 and 2 and it can damage your gear.
the uses of over drive is when you are on a mugging or sleepy road, it will help you out.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Functions Of Cruise And Over Drive On A Gear Stick? by NwaIgboBoy(m): 10:25am On Jul 18, 2022
Vote Perter Obi and you will learn more
Re: What Are The Functions Of Cruise And Over Drive On A Gear Stick? by deavicky(m): 10:26am On Jul 18, 2022
ThreeEyedRaven:

Thank you I’ll try it out for myself
u also need to know how to engage it. And when it is engage it and u apply brake it neutralise.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Functions Of Cruise And Over Drive On A Gear Stick? by yeman1(m): 10:32am On Jul 18, 2022
Joyceaile:
Please house what does this work for?
I used cruise all the time to relax my leg most especially on third mainland bridge

1 Like

Re: What Are The Functions Of Cruise And Over Drive On A Gear Stick? by Doubuzofficial: 11:59am On Jul 18, 2022
Good morning.

I have this car for sale but you’ll need to buy in a new engine as it knocked already and a little body work.

Kindly reach me on 08036645364

Re: What Are The Functions Of Cruise And Over Drive On A Gear Stick? by Joyceaile(f): 1:13pm On Jul 18, 2022
yeman1:
I used cruise all the time to relax my leg most especially on third mainland bridge
nice one
Re: What Are The Functions Of Cruise And Over Drive On A Gear Stick? by kernniejay(m): 1:28pm On Jul 18, 2022
aycapri:
what if I apply brake then release it, will the car still go back to the “set” speed?
No, the cruise will be cancelled. You have to set it again.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Functions Of Cruise And Over Drive On A Gear Stick? by kernniejay(m): 1:30pm On Jul 18, 2022
Papichulostunne:

Nice google research.. That was what the OP should have done instead of asking that silly question here.
That is not a copy and paste from google, it's a personal experience.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Functions Of Cruise And Over Drive On A Gear Stick? by Emeka71(m): 2:23pm On Jul 18, 2022
kernniejay:

How about on manual vehicles ¿
Re: What Are The Functions Of Cruise And Over Drive On A Gear Stick? by kernniejay(m): 5:09pm On Jul 18, 2022
Emeka71:
How about on manual vehicles ¿
I don't think manual vehicles have Over drive function. As for Cruise control, I think the manual transmission has to be in top gear like gear 4 or 5.
Re: What Are The Functions Of Cruise And Over Drive On A Gear Stick? by Rhisky(m): 6:10pm On Jul 18, 2022
kernniejay:

I don't think manual vehicles have Over drive function. As for Cruise control, I think the manual transmission has to be in top gear like gear 4 or 5.

For me, I use cruise when I'm on the highway. It's efficient for fuel consumption and it keeps you at a steady pace on the highways.

O/D on the other hand makes the engine work harder, I use it when I'm ascending hills and when in trying not to get stuck in mud. Once you put on the O/D notice that the car feels a bit heavy and the speed reduces. Both functions are cool
Re: What Are The Functions Of Cruise And Over Drive On A Gear Stick? by Wwwq: 7:21pm On Jul 18, 2022
Cruise offcourse
Re: What Are The Functions Of Cruise And Over Drive On A Gear Stick? by demoBaba: 7:23pm On Jul 18, 2022
BlessedJonMoss:

Lagos State

I'm chatting you from Abuja....I don't have link at Lagos.
Re: What Are The Functions Of Cruise And Over Drive On A Gear Stick? by Emeka71(m): 7:46pm On Jul 18, 2022
kernniejay:

OK when in gear 5; how do you engage the cruise control?
Re: What Are The Functions Of Cruise And Over Drive On A Gear Stick? by kernniejay(m): 8:14pm On Jul 18, 2022
Rhisky:

For me, I use cruise when I'm on the highway. It's efficient for fuel consumption and it keeps you at a steady pace on the highways.

O/D on the other hand makes the engine work harder, I use it when I'm ascending hills and when in trying not to get stuck in mud. Once you put on the O/D notice that the car feels a bit heavy and the speed reduces. Both functions are cool
I think that is a wrong use of the OD. When you apply OD and your engine works harder or your car feels heavier, that means you are stressing the engine when it is supposed to be free on OD. You may damage your transmission with that. You are supposed to ascend hills or wade through muddy terrain with a Low Gear (L) like 1 or 2 (either manual or automatic) depending on how thick the mud is. The best mode of driving in slippery mud or slippery road is to apply the Traction control. It will give your tires better grip on the ground. The Over drive is for speeding and you cannot speed when you are stuck in mud.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit / What's The Most Reliable Car You've Ever Owned? / Commercial Bus Catches Fire On Lekki Expressway In Lagos (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.