Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,242 members, 7,846,142 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 11:07 AM

Please Save Delta Pdp - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Please Save Delta Pdp (158 Views)

Sheriff Oborevwori Disqualified By High Court As Delta PDP Governorshi Candidate / 2023: Tambuwal Consult Governor Okowa, Delta PDP On Presidential Bid (Pictures) / Woman Who Gave Birth At Delta PDP Rally, Gets N2m (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Please Save Delta Pdp by Iamkayned(m): 9:03am On Jul 18, 2022
[i](AN OPEN LETTER TO THE LEADERSHIP, ELDERS AND CRITICAL STAKEHOLDERS IN THE DELTA STATE CHAPTER OF THE PEOPLE’S DEMOCRATIC PARTY)[/b]

Dear Elders, Leaders and Stakeholders
I am writing to you today as a card-carrying member of our great party but most importantly as an extremely concerned Deltan. Now more than ever, it is critical we put aside individual and personal interests and come together for the safety and survival of our party in the best interests of Deltans.

One thing I know about life is that sacrifices must be made in order to emerge victorious in certain situations regardless of the challenges. I also understand that the answer to complex problems is sometimes simply doing the small right thing. Doing the small right thing often includes removing ego and applying honesty.

In the words of Ralph Waldo Emerson, “Whatever games are played with us, we must play no games with ourselves.” The famous founder of Ford Motors and richest man in the world during his time, Henry Ford said, “Coming together is a beginning, keeping together is progress, working together is success.” Now we must ask ourselves, we can not afford to play games and we can not afford division in our camp. Who the legitimate flagbearer of the PDP for the March 2023 Gubernatorial Elections is must be answered quickly and correctly!

Since we are all in one camp or the other to some the candidate should be Rt. Hon Sheriff Oborevwori. To others the right candidate is Olorogun David Edevbie. Some analysts have declared this a battle for supremacy between His Excellency the present Governor of Delta State, Sen. Dr. Ifeanyi Arthur Okowa and his predecessor (and former boss) His Excellency Chief James Onanefe Ibori. The purpose of my writing is not to analyze who is right and wrong but to ask certain pertinent questions.

Is Delta PDP heading to the supreme court?
Will the legal battles not cause more division within the party?
Were the May 25th primaries free and fair?
Will the opposition in Delta State led by the Deputy Senate President Olorogun Ovie Omo-Agege capitalize and benefit from the disunity and disorderliness in the PDP?
Will this ultimately lead to Delta State turning into an APC State?

These are five fundamental questions we must first answer honestly. Already we are witnessing high profile defections from the PDP to APC, but we must not dwell on that. Defections are normal but like everyone knows, ‘A ship can only be sunk by the water inside it and not by the water outside’. This is to say that if Delta PDP is going to sink, it will be an aftermath of the in-house fighting and division, not because of single individuals who defected from the party.

With the new Electoral Act which makes elections more transparent and with the new trend among the general population, which is to vote individuals over political parties, we must put our best foot forward! Perhaps too many people are underestimating the opposition party in Delta State. I believe that this is no more the old opposition in Delta State that had losing embedded in their DNA. They have found a champion and learnt how to win! They have two out of three senatorial seats in Delta State. That’s a solid foundation to build upon, that’s enough motivation and inspiration to aim for more! They have resources too as they are aligned with the government at the center (too many times people forget that PDP might be the ruling party in Delta State but is the opposition party at the federal level).

While I earnestly believe in and support the modernization agenda of Olorogun David Edevbie, what is more important is that Delta State remains a PDP state and we are on the right side of the law. The old ways of doing things are gone, legitimacy is the principal thing. By all indications we are heading to the supreme court, our prayer is that it doesn’t weaken our party. Losing Delta State to the APC is guaranteed 8 years in opposition except by a miracle and divine intervention.

I want to use this medium to congratulate our governor, H.E. Sen. Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa on his nomination as the Vice-Presidential Candidate of our great party and the running mate to H.E. Atiku Abubakar. The task ahead is herculean but with God and the people on our side, victory is sure! I implore his excellency to be at the forefront every effort to bring peace and unity to the party in Delta State. Every great leader must make sacrifices for the people and act in the best interest of the people.

I must conclude on the same note in which I started. Delta State is bigger than the personal interest of one man or a group of people. Priority must be the best interest of the people, the people’s mandate must be respected and granted! We must also be on the right side of the law, we are now in an era of Supreme Court Governors where number four can miraculously become number one. I humbly call on all leaders, elders and critical stakeholders to please come together and work in unison.

In the words of our master and savior Jesus Christ, from Mark 3: 24-25 “And if a kingdom be divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. And if a house be divided against itself, that house cannot stand.”

Yours Sincerely,
Dr Fegor Okonedo
(Member, Delta State PDP)

1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Osun Election: After Osun, What Next? - Saraki Speaks / Oyo Assembly Impeaches Deputy Governor / Maritime Workers Set To Embark On A 3-day Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.