Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,070 members, 7,818,191 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:56 AM

Every Graduate Needs This In Life: Good Relationships, Mentorship And Networking - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Every Graduate Needs This In Life: Good Relationships, Mentorship And Networking (168 Views)

Igbo Presidency 2023 Election. Alignment And Networking Will Do It. / Attack On Edwin Clark: Don’t Jeopardize Igbo Relationships, Ohanaeze Warns IPOB / FFK On Obaseki: 'One Of The Most Important Virtues In Life Is Loyalty' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Every Graduate Needs This In Life: Good Relationships, Mentorship And Networking by EdoBoy90(m): 11:33am On Jul 18, 2022
Recently, an undergraduate student approached and asked me, "What would be my advice to him that graduates face after graduation?" I discovered that many graduates lack mentorship over the years I have been in the industry and many don't know how to build good relationships. Good relationships will take you far more than competence. Yes, having the right skills is very good but along the line, also build good relationships. Build good relationships where people can speak for you on your behalf. Whenever they mention your name, they will say, Oh, I am familiar with this name. One day, a lady who I call my Big Sister, not blood related but from same tribe, sent my curriculum vitae, CV to someone. The person told her instantly, I am familiar with this name. Oh! He is my mentee. My Big Sister was surprised. She said to me, 'I am pleased with the level of your network and keep it up.'
This person is in France now, working with one of the leading offshore companies in the world. Information matters a lot. It will take you far. Networking with the right people matters a lot. Don't lose good relationships because of Nigerian politics and politicians. Refuse to be hidden.

The following are very necessary in life. Don't miss out in life due to lackadaisical attitude. Your enthusiasm and determination should be very high in anything you are doing. Don't make that mistakes some persons made in the past.

1. Lack the ability to build and sustain relationships. Try to build and sustain relationships. As you are building skills, accumulating capabilities and competence, build and sustain relationships along it. Don't be quick to delete people's phone numbers even though someone rejected or refused to do something for you, just move on and never keep any grudge. Once in awhile, just say hi.

2. Lack of Mentorship. Reach out to people. It is he who is looking for something should stretch out his hands first. There are always rejections.

3. Lack of Visibility. Visibility matters a lot in life. Are you known or seen among your zone or groups. Let people know you for something good. Let people know you for values. You can be sharing information in any group. Don't worry others are benefiting. Someone is taking cognizance. For instance, when you go to Md Abdullah's LinkedIn page, he is known for sharing scholarships and other academic information.

4. Lack of information: To get information, use google, LinkedIn, Twitter, Nairaland, WhatsApp Groups and your network, the people you are connected with.

5. Ingratitude. Always acknowledge God first and appreciate those in your life. It is not until you needed something, you will now decide to reach out to someone. Life doesn't work that way. Some graduates will fail to appreciate someone. Always appreciate people all the time in life. One day, I did something for someone, a guy. After some weeks, I had even forgotten, the guy, came to say thanks. I was surprised and touched.

Here is a message someone sent to me, he wrote; "The strength of any man is not in his physical might but in the quality of those he has around him. I just want to use this medium to appreciate your impact in me. Words can't express how lucky and privilege I consider myself for having association with someone like you.

I will forever be indebted to you.

Thanks and do have a fruitful week ahead!"

This message moved me. I read it many times. This will make me to do more next time. This is just my personal experience. I said this to affirm that appreciating people matters a lot.

6. Respect, love, loyalty and sincerity are what you owe anyone. They will make you to standout.

Kindly share your opinion in the comment section.
Re: Every Graduate Needs This In Life: Good Relationships, Mentorship And Networking by EdoBoy90(m): 11:33am On Jul 18, 2022
Mods, kindly push to front page.
Re: Every Graduate Needs This In Life: Good Relationships, Mentorship And Networking by Croxnate: 11:37am On Jul 18, 2022
Good one
Re: Every Graduate Needs This In Life: Good Relationships, Mentorship And Networking by EdoBoy90(m): 11:43am On Jul 18, 2022
Croxnate:
Good one

Thanks

(1) (Reply)

PEBEC: Ease Of Doing Business Bill Passes Second Reading At The Senate / Wike - I Will Speak Soon; Nigerians Will Know The Truth About PDP / deleting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.