Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,910 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:03 PM

What If The Difference Between This Lastma Officer And Area Boys? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What If The Difference Between This Lastma Officer And Area Boys? (3285 Views)

LASTMA Official, Army Cadet & Police In A Brawl In Lagos Today (Pics) / Oyibo Man Enters LASTMA Bike To Beat Traffic On Ikorodu Road [photos] / LASTMA Officer & Civilian Fighting In Lagos (Pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What If The Difference Between This Lastma Officer And Area Boys? by johnie: 12:41pm On Jul 29, 2011
In my years of driving the streets of Lagos, I have come to understand why some things happen.

One of the things I have learnt is that traffic jam (or go-slow) is a very veritable tool employed by various people to boost their "trade".

The go-slow hawkers readily come to mind. The slow moving traffic creates a market for them to sell their goods.

Some other people who have found the go-slow very useful are those robbers who attack motorists and their passengers in the traffic.

Wherever there is go-slow you would find the hawkers (unless KAI officials are about). If the go-slow is a regular one and other conditions are right, you would surely find the robbers striking.

To create this "market", these robbers sometimes create pot-holes or increase the size of existing pot-holes. I have seen this happen along various roads in the city.

Even in a place like the Lekki waterfront where those with 4x4s used to drive over the sandy beach to avoid the heavy traffic caused by construction works being carried out on the expressway, area boys dig ditches along the regularly used paths and wait for motorists to drive into the ditches at which point they emerge in their numbers to harass the hapless motorist to part with huge sums of money before being dug out and allowed to go.

Now, another trend I have seen emerging is that of law enforcement agents and traffic management
officers using the traffic situation to create markets for themselves.

A good and recent example is Ozumba Mbadiwe Street on Victoria Island.  Every year (https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-367311.0.html#msg5156043, https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-367311.0.html#msg5304707), a crater-like ditch appears just in front of Total/Oceanic Bank along the road near the Falomo Bridge . The crater always starts off as a little pothole that slows down passing vehicles for a few seconds.

The ditch within a few days however  grows “mysteriously” into a large crater and becomes the source of a traffic hold-up that stretches from that point sometimes all the way close to the Walter Carrington junction.

This year, the crater appeared again just after the heavy deluge that hit Lagos recently. As usual, the crater has been causing go-slow.

What is however interesting is that I have now noticed a particular LASTMA official who lurks around Radisson Blu Hotel along the road waiting for motorists who would use their cell phones while in the traffic. Immediately he sees such a motorist, this LASTMA official would dash out of hiding and get the motorist to park at a lay-by. And I imagine that what follows is a shakedown of the motorist.

Policemen have also cashed in on the “market” by apprehending motorcyclists who ply the route without helmets.

Please understand, I do not have any objections to people doing their job but when a LASTMA guy is ambushing motorists presumably to extort money from them at around 6 p.m. I am left with no option but to wonder what is the difference between him and the robbers who attack motorists in go-slows or the area boys who dig ditches along the beachfront?
Re: What If The Difference Between This Lastma Officer And Area Boys? by blank(f): 12:59pm On Jul 29, 2011
Thanks for the heads up. God no go allow them catch me.
Re: What If The Difference Between This Lastma Officer And Area Boys? by DisGuy: 2:26pm On Jul 29, 2011
They have uniforms; Area boys wear anything or nothing at all

Is the Lastma guy alone? he might even be fake
Re: What If The Difference Between This Lastma Officer And Area Boys? by PapaBrowne(m): 2:40pm On Jul 29, 2011
Very nice info!! Thanks for the hit!! Just thinking: some kind of expository documentary should be made out of this!!
Re: What If The Difference Between This Lastma Officer And Area Boys? by johnie: 2:43pm On Jul 29, 2011
Here is the Lastman and the car.

The building in the backgroud is the Polo building.

Re: What If The Difference Between This Lastma Officer And Area Boys? by gbolah1(m): 2:50pm On Jul 29, 2011
Deference btw them are not much.ist LASTMA were uniform while some areaboys don't.
Second,few of lastman behave normal while most of d area boy acted stupidly.if I shld go on n on I will nt finish mentioning.
Re: What If The Difference Between This Lastma Officer And Area Boys? by RichDad1(m): 5:10pm On Jul 29, 2011
80% of lastma are glorified area boys or area boys with uniform.I know of a guy thats used to be an agbero but now lastma official and still does his work @ the same junction.
Re: What If The Difference Between This Lastma Officer And Area Boys? by philip0906(m): 5:23pm On Jul 29, 2011
Re: What If The Difference Between This Lastma Officer And Area Boys?
LASTMA officials have a mix breed of ethnic tribes in their ranks,while agbero are all yuruba bwois. . .
Re: What If The Difference Between This Lastma Officer And Area Boys? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Jul 29, 2011
In Dubai, u can be driving and at same time making calls, no one send you, talkless of go-slow, it seems it's not an offence here which is dangerous, but if u beat the traffic light, men you are on ur own
Re: What If The Difference Between This Lastma Officer And Area Boys? by swaggerboi2011: 10:47pm On Jul 29, 2011
;d ;d ;d
Re: What If The Difference Between This Lastma Officer And Area Boys? by JerrCa(m): 11:04pm On Jul 29, 2011
I don't understand the real duties of these Lastma guys in Lagos, Can someone please describe their official duties for me? They seem to stop every one they can get their hands on driving,
Re: What If The Difference Between This Lastma Officer And Area Boys? by Nobody: 11:26pm On Jul 29, 2011
Lastma are uniformed Agbero.
Re: What If The Difference Between This Lastma Officer And Area Boys? by oderemo(m): 11:53pm On Jul 29, 2011
LASTMA officials have a mix breed of ethnic tribes in their ranks,while agbero are all yuruba bwois. . .

u are a clown.
check your STORY b4 u go to press.
Re: What If The Difference Between This Lastma Officer And Area Boys? by daniellle(f): 12:30am On Jul 30, 2011
Re: What If The Difference Between This Lastma Officer And Area Boys? by dskenky(m): 8:08pm On Jul 30, 2011
Hello grrrrreat NLanders! Methinks we as a whole need to really "ask, seek & find" out about the real "koko" duties of these over-exuberant Lastma officials ab initio. Let me categorically state that Lastma officials ARE NOT empowered nor authorised to arrest anyone who makes use of a cellfone. How do i know this? Simple, about 2wks ago, on my way to Victoria Island, around the State house(sure you know where these guys hang, abi?), I got a call from a Lastma official and decided to answer it when all of a sudden three Lastma guys besieged my vehicle ranting all sorts. However, i stopped instantly, and i quietly asked what my offence was. Immediately i was ordered to open my door which i promptly did, again. As soon as an officer got in he told me my 'obvious' offence. I simply motioned him to keep shut while i confirm the supposed offence from their GM,by the name of Edun. Immediately he saw what i was about to do he demanded to be let out of the car! Imagine that! Nevertheless to cut the story short, i sent a text message to their GM some minutes after narrating my ordeal in the hands of his goons. He replied my sms saying specifically that i could only be cautioned AND NOT fined as Lastma IS NOT empowered to arrest anyone for the use of cellphone while driving.

Anyone interested in having the GM's gsm, kindly let me know. Better still i can post it on this thread if anyone wants to verify.
Me still believes that we need to know our rights in this country sha, Lagos is rough o,

(1) (Reply)

GEJ Begs PDP Govs: Pls Save Me From Defeat - Daily Independent / Photo:crazy Political Culture In OKRIKA Rivers State / Yoruba Farmers Accuse Traditional Rulers Of Receiving Bribe From Fulani Herdsmen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.