Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,196 members, 7,818,652 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:53 PM

95% of Nigerians can't Pronounce These Words Correctly. Take The Test - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 95% of Nigerians can't Pronounce These Words Correctly. Take The Test (5020 Views)

Most People Don't Know That These Words Exist. / How Naija People Dey Pronounce These Words Abeg? / Lagos Teacher Beats Student To Death For Not Answering Maths Question Correctly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

95% of Nigerians can't Pronounce These Words Correctly. Take The Test by BinamRex: 3:31am On Jul 21, 2022
Before you watch this video, try to pronounce these words. I think that 90.9% of Nigerians won't be able to pronounce all these words correctly. I could be wrong though, but when I hear people around me murder English words, I conclude that the generality of Nigerian don't know that a lot of English words are not pronounced the way they are spelt.

1. Alias
2. Cause
3. Champagne
4. Crescendo
5. Debris
6. Deborah
7. Leopard
8. Magi
9. Machete
10. Myrrh
11. Oesophagus
12. Pizza
13. Plumber
14. Tsetse fly
15. Chef

When you pronounce these words, please, watch the video to know whether you pronounced them correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egT7vjCIknY

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 95% of Nigerians can't Pronounce These Words Correctly. Take The Test by owagbeba: 6:58am On Jul 21, 2022
BinamRex:
Before you watch this video, try to pronounce these words. I think that 90.9% of Nigerians won't be able to pronounce all these words correctly. I could be wrong though, but when I hear people around me murder English words, I conclude that the generality of Nigerian don't know that a lot of English words are not pronounced the way they are spelt.

1. Alias
2. Cause
3. Champagne
4. Crescendo
5. Debris
6. Deborah
7. Leopard
8. Magi
9. Machete
10. Myrrh
11. Oesophagus
12. Pizza
13. Plumber
14. Tsetse fly
15. Chef

When you pronounce these words, please, watch the video to know whether you pronounced them correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egT7vjCIknY

Nice one.

Why are many of these words so different than their actual pronunciation? Has it got to do with the origin of the words? I know the original words are not as they are currently spelt; anything to do with the English choosing to spell them the way they deem fit regardless of the origin?

1 Like

Re: 95% of Nigerians can't Pronounce These Words Correctly. Take The Test by BinamRex: 7:27am On Jul 21, 2022
owagbeba:

Nice one.

Why are many of these words so different than their actual pronunciation? Has it got to do with the origin of the words? I know the original words are not as they are currently spelt; anything to do with the English choosing to spell them the way they deem fit regardless of the origin?

In some cases, it has to do with the origin of the word, but in some cases, it has to do with the anglicization of borrowed words.

Tsetse fly was borrowed from Tswana, a Bantu language of Southern Africa.

"Chef, Champagne and leopard" are of French origin

"Alias, plumber, crescendo" have a Latin origin.

Pizza is borrowed from Italian

Deborah is a name of Hebrew origin

Magi is of Persian origin

Oesophagus is a Greek word

English belongs to everybody and nobody. That's why nobody should feel bad for wanting to speak good English. The language has been enriched by different cultures and other languages that we can all call it our own.

"Jollof " is now a word in the oxford dictionary. It's just amazing.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: 95% of Nigerians can't Pronounce These Words Correctly. Take The Test by Kingcalls: 8:19am On Jul 21, 2022
I got them all apart from 4, 7, 8 ,11 , 14

1 Like

Re: 95% of Nigerians can't Pronounce These Words Correctly. Take The Test by owagbeba: 8:25am On Jul 21, 2022
BinamRex:

In some cases, it has to do with the origin of the word, but in some cases, it has to do with the anglicization of borrowed words.

"Chef and leopard" are of French origin

"Alias, plumber, champagne, crescendo" have a Latin origin.

English belongs to everybody and nobody. That's why nobody should feel bad for wanting to speak good English. The language has been enriched by different cultures and other languages that we can all call it our own.

Hmmm... why didn’t the English put effort to sound like the natives of these words when they anglicized them? Anything to do with their typical hubris?

Jollof is arab, right? Because I have seen that word “Jallof” on many restaurants in Arabia. Even some Afghani restaurants also write “jallof” The rice is somewhat different, cooked in layers of lamb,sauce, spices and rice.
Re: 95% of Nigerians can't Pronounce These Words Correctly. Take The Test by owagbeba: 8:28am On Jul 21, 2022
Why didn’t the English put effort to anglicize these words like the natives? So we have same spelling as they sound.

1 Like

Re: 95% of Nigerians can't Pronounce These Words Correctly. Take The Test by BinamRex: 8:33am On Jul 21, 2022
owagbeba:

Jollof is Arab, right? Because I have seen that word “Jallof” on many restaurants in Arabia. Even some Afghani restaurants also write “jallof” The rice is somewhat different, cooked in layers of lamb,sauce, spices and rice.

I don't know if Jollof is of Arab origin, but I won't be surprised if it is. I recently learned that sharwama is an Arabic word.
Re: 95% of Nigerians can't Pronounce These Words Correctly. Take The Test by BinamRex: 8:37am On Jul 21, 2022
owagbeba:
Why didn’t the English put effort to anglicize these words like the natives? So we have the same spelling as they sound.

It would have been better if the way words were spelled and the way they were pronounced were the same. Maybe they were afraid of being accused of cultural appropriation
Re: 95% of Nigerians can't Pronounce These Words Correctly. Take The Test by BinamRex: 8:40am On Jul 21, 2022
owagbeba:

Nice one.

Thanks. It has to do the origin of the words. Some of the words are of Latin origin. Others are of Greek, Italian, Persian and Hebrew origin.

Tsetset fly is from the Tswana language of southern Africa

1 Like

Re: 95% of Nigerians can't Pronounce These Words Correctly. Take The Test by BinamRex: 8:42am On Jul 21, 2022
Kingcalls:

10 over 15 isn't bad at all. Thumbs up.
Re: 95% of Nigerians can't Pronounce These Words Correctly. Take The Test by Josbreed: 10:21am On Jul 21, 2022
For simplicity of pronunciation:
1. Alias /eilias/
2. Cause /koz/
3. Champagne /shampein/
4. Crescendo /krishendow/
5. Debris /Deibri/
6. Deborah /dehbra/
7. Leopard /lepa:d/
8. Magi /meijai/
9. Machete /masheiti/
10. Myrrh /murrr/
11. Oesophagus /isofagvs/
12. Pizza /pitsa/
13. Plumber /plvmer/
14. Tsetse fly /tsetsi or tsitsi flai/
15. Chef /shef/
Hope y'all gerrit.

8 Likes

Re: 95% of Nigerians can't Pronounce These Words Correctly. Take The Test by Nobody: 10:23am On Jul 21, 2022
Well Done Bro.
It seems you are a teacher?

1 Like

Re: 95% of Nigerians can't Pronounce These Words Correctly. Take The Test by BinamRex: 10:35am On Jul 21, 2022
Josbreed:
1. Alias /eilias/
2. Cause /koz/
3. Champagne /shampein/
5. Debris /Deibri/
6. Deborah /dehbra/
8. Magi /meijai/
9. Machete /masheiti/
10. Myrrh /murrr/
12. Pizza /pitsa/
13. Plumber /plvmer/
15. Chef /shef/
Hope y'all gerrit.

Good one bro. Thanks a lot.
Re: 95% of Nigerians can't Pronounce These Words Correctly. Take The Test by BinamRex: 10:36am On Jul 21, 2022
MALIGNANTGuest:
Well Done Bro.
It seems you are a teacher?

Thanks a lot. Yes, bro. I am a teacher.

1 Like

Re: 95% of Nigerians can't Pronounce These Words Correctly. Take The Test by WhatCanIsay(m): 10:36am On Jul 21, 2022
BinamRex:

"Chef and leopard" are of French origin

"Alias, plumber, champagne, crescendo" have a Latin origin.

Champagne doesn't have a Latin origin, it is French.

1 Like

Re: 95% of Nigerians can't Pronounce These Words Correctly. Take The Test by BinamRex: 10:40am On Jul 21, 2022
WhatCanIsay:

Champagne doesn't have a Latin origin, it is French.

The inclusion of "Champagne" amongst words of Latin origin is an honest mistake.

Champagne is named after a region in France. Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: 95% of Nigerians can't Pronounce These Words Correctly. Take The Test by WhatCanIsay(m): 10:43am On Jul 21, 2022
BinamRex:

The inclusion of "Champagne" amongst words of Latin origin is an honest mistake.

Champagne is named after a region in France. Thanks.

Welcome bro... Kudos

1 Like

Re: 95% of Nigerians can't Pronounce These Words Correctly. Take The Test by BinamRex: 10:44am On Jul 21, 2022
WhatCanIsay:

Welcome bro... Kudos

Thanks a lot
Re: 95% of Nigerians can't Pronounce These Words Correctly. Take The Test by aaking(m): 11:02am On Jul 21, 2022
Josbreed:
1. Alias /eilias/
2. Cause /koz/
3. Champagne /shampein/
5. Debris /Deibri/
6. Deborah /dehbra/
8. Magi /meijai/
9. Machete /masheiti/
10. Myrrh /murrr/
12. Pizza /pitsa/
13. Plumber /plvmer/
15. Chef /shef/
Hope y'all gerrit.

Thanks man. In my own calling of Deborah "deboraaaah" grin grin

2 Likes

Re: 95% of Nigerians can't Pronounce These Words Correctly. Take The Test by BinamRex: 11:04am On Jul 21, 2022
Kingcalls:

You tried bro.
Re: 95% of Nigerians can't Pronounce These Words Correctly. Take The Test by BinamRex: 11:05am On Jul 21, 2022
aaking:

Thanks man. In my own calling of Deborah "deboraaaah" grin grin

You are welcome. Deboraaaah grin
Re: 95% of Nigerians can't Pronounce These Words Correctly. Take The Test by Nobody: 11:09am On Jul 21, 2022
Life is too short to take things like this serious. Na the idea matter no be the correct pronunciation

1 Like

Re: 95% of Nigerians can't Pronounce These Words Correctly. Take The Test by seanwilliam(m): 11:10am On Jul 21, 2022
Wow. very nice

1 Like

Re: 95% of Nigerians can't Pronounce These Words Correctly. Take The Test by BinamRex: 11:20am On Jul 21, 2022
Antimarraige:
Life is too short to take things like this serious. Na the idea matter no be the correct pronunciation

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. My cousin read nursing. He got a job in the UK, but at some point, his job was threatened because patients complained that they couldn't understand his pronunciation of words. He had to learn oral English to keep his job.

If articulating English words correctly is not a requirement in your job, you can still learn oral English. No knowledge is wasted, bro.

1 Like

Re: 95% of Nigerians can't Pronounce These Words Correctly. Take The Test by BinamRex: 11:20am On Jul 21, 2022
seanwilliam:
Wow. very nice

Thanks a lot bro
Re: 95% of Nigerians can't Pronounce These Words Correctly. Take The Test by Nobody: 11:25am On Jul 21, 2022
BinamRex:

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. My cousin read nursing. He got a job in the UK, but at some point, his job was threatened because patients complained that they couldn't understand his pronunciation of words. He had to learn oral English to keep his job.

If articulating English words correctly is not a requirement in your job, you can still learn oral English. No knowledge is wasted, bro.
I can pronunce them well I'm good at oral English, just speaking for the Iya alatas and the baba elerans , etc

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 95% of Nigerians can't Pronounce These Words Correctly. Take The Test by BinamRex: 11:25am On Jul 21, 2022
Antimarraige:
I can pronunce them well I'm good at oral English, just speaking for the Iya alatas and the baba elerans , etc

Ok bro.
Re: 95% of Nigerians can't Pronounce These Words Correctly. Take The Test by GraceUnIimitedd(m): 11:55am On Jul 21, 2022
I got all correct cool

1 Like

Re: 95% of Nigerians can't Pronounce These Words Correctly. Take The Test by BinamRex: 11:57am On Jul 21, 2022
GraceUnIimitedd:
I got all correct cool

Wow! You are really good. Thumbs up.
Re: 95% of Nigerians can't Pronounce These Words Correctly. Take The Test by GraceUnIimitedd(m): 11:58am On Jul 21, 2022
BinamRex:

Wow! You are really good. Thumbs up.
i have a British pronunciation app I've been using for years now

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Does Anyone Know If Unilag's Postgraduate Entrance Result Is Out? / University Of Jos School Fees Payment Begins / The Actual Meaning Of "N.B"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.