Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,803 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:33 AM

The Hausas, The Politics Of The Polio Vaccine, And The Monkey In Us All. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Hausas, The Politics Of The Polio Vaccine, And The Monkey In Us All. (1393 Views)

Hausas And Fulanis In Enugu Taking Refuge In Army Barracks - Ekweremmadu / El-Rufai Administers Polio Vaccine To His Son Today In Kaduna / El-rufai Administers Polio Vaccine On His Daughter (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Hausas, The Politics Of The Polio Vaccine, And The Monkey In Us All. by denex: 2:20pm On Aug 14, 2007
Majority of People living in the Northern States of Nigeria have for long rejected the Polio Vaccines being touted by the UNICEF and WHO.

This seemed totally outrageous and very backward, but in fact, it was not the first time such a thing would happen and this is not the first place either. It started in the "developed world" more than fifty years ago from the US to Canada and Europe to Asia. Let's examine their fears and concerns and if they were confirmed.

http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2004/mar/04031101.html

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2006%5C11%5C19%5Cstory_19-11-2006_pg7_14

http://www.planetc1.com/search/polio-vaccine-and-links-to-cancer-in-humans.html?PHPSESSID=0a9bf8b89c865347daa4847ad8ee07c3

http://www.iom.edu/CMS/3793/4705/6696/7341.aspx

http://www.vaccinetruth.org/page_13.htm

http://www.sv40foundation.org/

Cancer, AIDS and general monkiness:

http://omega.twoday.net/stories/1011360/

The Nigerian Polio Vaccine:

http://news.biafranigeriaworld.com/archive/2003/dec/13/0066.html

Tetanus vaccine:

http://www.thinktwice.com/birthcon.htm

philipines Tetanus vaccine:

http://www.whale.to/m/sterile.html

Poison stories:

http://poisonevercure.150m.com/population_control.htm

In the most recent population census, the northern states of Nigeria are seen to have made considerable gains in their populations in comparison with the Southern states. Could we be seeing the effect of the massive success of the vaccination in the South?

Kick Polio out of Africa my foot!
More like KICK AFRICA OUT OF THE WORLD!!!

Everyday, we see women in the Southern part of Nigeria seeking various channels to Childbirth. Why the recent rush?

Please let us examine this uneducated act by the Northern Mullahs to boycott this Polio Vaccination and if it has any scientific backing.
Re: The Hausas, The Politics Of The Polio Vaccine, And The Monkey In Us All. by laudate: 3:30pm On Aug 14, 2007
Denex,

High fertility rates in the far North, has little or nothing to do with the polio vaccine, and everything to do with age, and the religious tenents that allows polygamy to thrive, in many parts of that region.

Women in the South do not get married as early as women do, in the North. They often delay marriage & child-bearing until their mid-twenties to late thirties, due to reasons ranging from educational pursuits to career changes, unlike the Northern girls. Age has a direct correlation to fertility, not the refusal of the polio vaccine. Ask any doctor.

Secondly, a Northern muslim who has four wives whose ages start from 19 and above, will most likely end up with more children, than a southerner with only one wife.

May God enlighten those in the North who still kick against the vaccine. If you have ever seen a child battling with polio, you would weep. By refusing to grant women and children access to the vaccine, they are merely subjecting those kids to the possibilty of a deformity that could cripple them permanently.
Re: The Hausas, The Politics Of The Polio Vaccine, And The Monkey In Us All. by PTH(m): 4:24pm On Aug 14, 2007
denex:

In the most recent population census, the northern states of Nigeria are seen to have made considerable gains in their populations in comparison with the Southern states. Could we be seeing the effect of the massive success of the vaccination in the South?

Kick Polio out of Africa my foot!
More like KICK AFRICA OUT OF THE WORLD!!!

this is an exhibition of sheer ignorance. The northern states are making considerable gains in population because unlike the south, a man can marry 100 wives and have 1000 children! It has nothing to do with an improvement in health indices. Northern Nigerian health indices are some of the poorest in the world, northern nigeria still accounts for 79% of the world's polio cases and has already infected at least 5 other previously polio-free nations in Africa.

Please let us stop using sentiments to punish ourselves. The southern children who took the polio vaccine have not yet been wiped out of the world, it was not as if a different vaccine was used in the north than was used in the south.
Re: The Hausas, The Politics Of The Polio Vaccine, And The Monkey In Us All. by doyin13(m): 4:33pm On Aug 14, 2007
@PTH

I was just thinking this thread was tailored just for you

grin grin grin
Re: The Hausas, The Politics Of The Polio Vaccine, And The Monkey In Us All. by PTH(m): 4:36pm On Aug 14, 2007
doyin13:

@PTH

I was just thinking this thread was tailored just for you

grin grin grin

grin grin grin i'm thinking denex did this on purpose.
Re: The Hausas, The Politics Of The Polio Vaccine, And The Monkey In Us All. by denex: 4:38pm On Aug 14, 2007
Errm, my dear laudate, did you even bother to read the articles which showed laboratory confirmation from different parts of the world that the polio vaccine administered in Nigeria contained the hormones estrogen and estradiol which effeminises males as they mature and rapidly developes females sexually, yet causes natural abortion.

Did you read the articles on those links? Each link shows a different article discussing a different aspect. Please read.

Polygamy is assumed to increase population but does it really? When a man has ten wives and thirty children, we exclaim because one man had 30 children. But are we actually checking that each woman had just 3 children?

Fela Kuti had several wives, but when you check the average number of children per wife, would you say he caused population explosion?

My own father had 4 wives and 6 children. 6 children are much for one man, but when I look at the women, I believe the man actually depopulated.

So please, don't let them fool you that polygamy increases population.

Now also comes the question of rampant childseeking we find these days down South. When we were kids, how many families did you know that didn't have kids or were seeking spiritual help for childbearing.

FYI, I've spent more than 50% of my life in the North and the rest in the South. The North do not want to retain Polio as a cultural heritage, they want polio vaccines that are not tainted with antifertility hormones or cancerous monkey cells. They are actually ordering newly manufactured polio vaccines from Indonesia, which they would test before accepting.
Re: The Hausas, The Politics Of The Polio Vaccine, And The Monkey In Us All. by PTH(m): 4:43pm On Aug 14, 2007
denex:

Errm, my dear laudate, did you even bother to read the articles which showed laboratory confirmation from different parts of the world that the polio vaccine administered in Nigeria contained the hormones estrogen and estradiol which effeminises males as they mature and rapidly developes females sexually, yet causes natural abortion.

anyone can dredge up any biased piece of information from the internet to support bogus claims. ask yourself, southern children were vaccinated from the same batch of vaccines, is there clinical evidence that those children are suffering from side effects?

Are you trying to convince us that the illiterate northerners actually went to check websites such as yours before deciding to refuse the vaccines?
Re: The Hausas, The Politics Of The Polio Vaccine, And The Monkey In Us All. by laudate: 5:43pm On Aug 14, 2007
denex:

Did you read the articles on those links? Each link shows a different article discussing a different aspect. Please read.

Denex, I must confess that my first post merely responded to your initial comments. I did not read the associated links. I do apologise. Now I have read those links. If indeed the polio vaccines were contaminated, then the government needs to take NPI and all those who donated them to Nigeria, to task, for giving our citizens contaminated vaccines. What was our Ministry of Health doing, when it took delivery of contaminated vaccines in the first place? Don't we have a quarantine section anymore? Or an inspection unit that tests those vaccines on arrival, before it is distributed and administered on women and children, nationwide?? We need answers! angry

But having said that, all children need to be vaccinated aginst polio. It is essential. The polio virus does not discriminate, and it could strike kids at any time. We have to find a way as country, to source for polio vaccines that have not been contaminated with estrogen etc.

Our foreign minister as well as the Health minister also need to take this issue to the United Nations, and subject it to public scrutiny, internationally. Next, we should drag those aid agencies supplying Nigeria with contaminated vaccines to the World Court. Enough is enough. We cannot continue to be cannon fodder for those who want to experiment with the lives of our citizens.

On a last note, polygamy does have a direct correlation with population growth. If one man marries one woman and they have four kids, would you say they are more fertile than a polygamous man who marries four wives, and has eight kids (i.e. 2 kids from each wife, or 4 kids from the first, 3 form the second, 1 from the third and none from the fourth)? All women do not have an identical fertility status, neither do they exhibit similar linear patterns, in child-bearing. Not even if they come from the same family. Same goes for men. So you cannot use Fela as a typical representative of the average polygamous man in Nigeria. M.K.O Abiola had more than four wives. Yet, at the time of his death the exact number of kids he had, were unknown. He too, was suspicious of all those kids that were being passed off, as his own. So he included a caveat in his will.

What am I saying? Polygamy should be seperated from the polio discourse. It has a direct link with population growth, but has little to do with a contaminated polio vaccine, unless you are saying that the reproductive abilities of men who took the polio vaccine in their childhood, has been adversely affected. In that case, no amount of polygamy that they practise will ensure that they bear children.  sad
Re: The Hausas, The Politics Of The Polio Vaccine, And The Monkey In Us All. by denex: 5:57pm On Aug 14, 2007
@laudate

let's separate polygamy from polio.

With this contaminated polio vaccine that our children have been drinking in their millions, I hope you now realise why it is that when people are blowing trumpets of Akunyili, I just say "she try".
Re: The Hausas, The Politics Of The Polio Vaccine, And The Monkey In Us All. by denex: 7:29pm On Aug 14, 2007
@PTH (earlier known as davidylan)

This is not an argumentative thread. It is informative.

But I must ask why you are foolishly looking for the side effects of infertility in the children.

I gave examples of adults who had taken tetanus and other vaccines when they were kids.

And by the way, I did not tailor this thread for you. In fact, I hoped you wouldn't come.

Talking about bias sites, at least I'm not your type that would churn out ridiculous unilateral information "from my mailbox".

Are you trying to tell us that the northerners don't use the internet? Well, I guess they're not that interested in yahoo-yahoo. Only research.
Well, if you call Northerners illiterates, let's see you call the people at Havard illiterates:

http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~salient/issues/11202003/11202003_thayer_basement.html

Please explain how these our illiterate northern brothers would know that something was wrong with the Polio vaccine meanwhile our literate Southern "parakpo" will just take all their kids to go and be drinking these estrogen, estradiol, cancerous monkey viruses and human chorionic gonadotropin with absolute relish. (some mischieviously went for double ration).

For crying out loud, you're a biologist don't tell me your entire education is a waste. What are female hormones doing in a vaccine?

Read some more:

http://www.khouse.org/articles/1997/93/

http://afgen.com/populat38.html

http://news.biafranigeriaworld.com/archive/2003/dec/13/0066.html
Re: The Hausas, The Politics Of The Polio Vaccine, And The Monkey In Us All. by PTH(m): 11:49pm On Aug 14, 2007
denex:

@PTH (earlier known as davidylan)

This is not an argumentative thread. It is informative.

the pile of misrepresentation of facts, contradictions, outright lies and bias is what you call "informative"? u shld be sued for abusing that word.

denex:

But I must ask why you are foolishly looking for the side effects of infertility in the children.
I gave examples of adults who had taken tetanus and other vaccines when they were kids.

stop making noise! Nigeria is not the only country where the vaccines were used on children, why is northern nigeria the only ones who are seeing female hormones in vaccines? The same illiterates who have to depend on the south to do everything for them?

denex:

Talking about bias sites, at least I'm not your type that would churn out ridiculous unilateral information "from my mailbox".

what a lying hypocrite, maybe you should direct the above comment to afam!

denex, for all the noise making you do, you strike me as having very low capacity for intellectual reasoning!
Re: The Hausas, The Politics Of The Polio Vaccine, And The Monkey In Us All. by Nobody: 9:17am On Aug 15, 2007
PTH:

what a lying hypocrite, maybe you should direct the above comment to afam!

my, my, it seems hypocrite is davidlyan's new word for the day! grin
Re: The Hausas, The Politics Of The Polio Vaccine, And The Monkey In Us All. by denex: 9:24am On Aug 15, 2007
I have started to notice.
Re: The Hausas, The Politics Of The Polio Vaccine, And The Monkey In Us All. by denex: 9:24am On Aug 15, 2007
I have started to notice.
Re: The Hausas, The Politics Of The Polio Vaccine, And The Monkey In Us All. by bigspif(m): 10:14am On Aug 15, 2007
PTH:

stop making noise! Nigeria is not the only country where the vaccines were used on children, why is northern nigeria the only ones who are seeing female hormones in vaccines? The same illiterates who have to depend on the south to do everything for them?

Too baaaaaddddd !!!! for thinking you are one ( an intellect) sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad
Re: The Hausas, The Politics Of The Polio Vaccine, And The Monkey In Us All. by Nobody: 10:26am On Aug 15, 2007
This is really informative, I never really thought of this issue from that angle.
Denex please try as much as possible to ignore David, He is filled with so much hate and overwhelming ignorance.
Re: The Hausas, The Politics Of The Polio Vaccine, And The Monkey In Us All. by PTH(m): 1:51pm On Aug 15, 2007
aisha2:

This is really informative, I never really thought of this issue from that angle.
Denex please try as much as possible to ignore David, He is filled with so much hate and overwhelming ignorance.

lol this is thoroughly absurd and sickening. NO attempt at critically looking at the issues with a fine tooth comb before coming out with a completely ridiculous conclusion? I don't blame you, anyone who attempts to see issues from a different perspective is suddenly labeled "hatefilled" and "ignorant". I wonder why i would be filled with "hate", i don't stand to gain or lose anything from either you or your northern stooges. Best of luck decieving urselves.

big spif:

Too baaaaaddddd !!!! for thinking you are one ( an intellect) sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad

Silly, face the issues and stop covering up your ignorance with personal insults.

this must go down as the silliest thread on the politics section, we have someone who is famous for making unverifiable and completely false allegations coming here to spread more lies and misinformation and people can sit down without any meaningful attempt to go through both sides of the coin just to satisfy their own ethnic and personal myopia?  shocked such a shame.

Go through EVERY SINGLE one of the websites posted by denex, NOT one is from a credible organisation. Denex claims the vaccines were touted by UNICEF and WHO, it stands to reason that the vaccine batches rejected by the north was made available to several other countries including Nigeria. Why have complaints ONLY arisen in the north of Nigeria?
The vaccines were tested without a single complaints, millions of kids around the world including southern nigerian kids took the vaccine without a single complaint! Where the vaccines to be used in the north a specially manufactured batch?

Why has there been NO international outcry over those vaccines then and ever since? there can be only two reasons:
1. the vaccines had no problems
2. the batch used in the north was manufactured specially - since this is not the case, you can go figure.
Re: The Hausas, The Politics Of The Polio Vaccine, And The Monkey In Us All. by laudate: 4:31pm On Aug 15, 2007
@PTN a.k.a davidylan,

Why do you say that the sites are not credible? I haven't seen anywhere that UNICEF, WHO etc., came out openly to refute tales that estrogen, estradiol, cancerous monkey viruses and human chorionic gonadotropin, were not constituents of their virus vaccines. Again, I stand to be corrected. Until I read their refuttal or denial in black & white, I would urge Nigerians to exercise caution in the use of those polio vaccines. Life no get duplicate o!
Re: The Hausas, The Politics Of The Polio Vaccine, And The Monkey In Us All. by PTH(m): 4:34pm On Aug 15, 2007
laudate:

@PTN a.k.a davidylan,

Why do you say that the sites are not credible? I haven't seen anywhere that UNICEF, WHO etc., came out openly to refute tales that estrogen, estradiol, cancerous monkey viruses and human chorionic gonadotropin, were not constituents of their virus vaccines. Again, I stand to be corrected. Until I read their refuttal or denial in black & white, I would urge Nigerians to exercise caution in the use of those polio vaccines. Life no get duplicate o!

it still begs the question; why have we had complaints ONLY from northern nigeria? where the vaccines made specially for them? Afterall southern babies got the same vaccines.
I would also urge Nigerians to be wary of unecessary oversensationalisation of issues, WHO and UNICEF have no reason to come out to make a denial when no credible complaints have been made yet.
Re: The Hausas, The Politics Of The Polio Vaccine, And The Monkey In Us All. by PTH(m): 4:43pm On Aug 15, 2007
Here are a few quotes taken at random from the sites Denex referenced:

PESHAWAR: The anti-polio campaign in NWFP suffered a severe setback following the unprecedented refusal of 70 percent of the province’s population to take the vaccine. According to sources, the failure of the drive has been attributed to negative propaganda that the vaccine causes impotency in male children and triggers puberty in female children.

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2006%5C11%5C19%5Cstory_19-11-2006_pg7_14

Add Canada to the list of countries performing research suggesting a monkey virus that contaminated the polio vaccine in the 1950s and early 1960s is causing cancer among the millions who received the vaccine. According to news reports, similar findings have been replicated in New Zealand, China, Britain, France, Switzerland, and Belgium.

When reports first came in, researchers had thought that Simian Virus 40 (SV40) was linked only to rare brain, bone and lung cancers. But now, studies are showing a link to non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, which according to reports, "has inexplicably doubled over the past 30 years."

http://www.planetc1.com/search/polio-vaccine-and-links-to-cancer-in-humans.html?PHPSESSID=0a9bf8b89c865347daa4847ad8ee07c3

Most deal with cases of contamination of the polio vaccine inexplicably with the SV40 virus since they were made from monkey cells - however this contamination occured in the 1950s - 60s! Is denex claiming that these same vaccines are still in circulation? shocked

Besides ALL references made to the alleged contamiination of the Nigerian polio vaccine are made by questionable personnel of the Kano state government - NONE of their alleged claims have been validated by outside health personnel nor the Indian collaborators who allegedly made the discoveries.

It is high time we went beyond rumor mongering just to score cheap political points! People on this thread should read and investigate before jumping to nauseating conclusions that just make them sound as silly as the author!
Re: The Hausas, The Politics Of The Polio Vaccine, And The Monkey In Us All. by laudate: 4:45pm On Aug 15, 2007
PTH:

it still begs the question; why have we had complaints ONLY from northern nigeria? where the vaccines made specially for them? Afterall southern babies got the same vaccines.
I would also urge Nigerians to be wary of unecessary oversensationalisation of issues, WHO and UNICEF have no reason to come out to make a denial when no credible complaints have been made yet.

Haba! shocked No talk this one. How can you say complaints have not been made, when it has been in the press, the northern doctors have publicised the results of the lab tests, and even some news media have carried stories of the North rejecting the vaccines?

In the south, people are much too busy chasing survival strategies that they leave main issues like this on the back burner, until it is too late! sad Afterwards, they run to church seeking for miracles, when a little prevention and caution could have nipped the whole thing in the bud.

No vex o, but I beg to disagree with your stand on this issue.
Re: The Hausas, The Politics Of The Polio Vaccine, And The Monkey In Us All. by PTH(m): 4:51pm On Aug 15, 2007
laudate:

Haba! shocked No talk this one. How can you say complaints have not been made, when it has been in the press, the northern doctors have publicised the results of the lab tests, and even some news media have carried stories of the North rejecting the vaccines?

In the south, people are much too busy chasing survival strategies that they leave main issues like this on the back burner, until it is too late! sad Afterwards, they run to church seeking for miracles, when a little prevention and caution could have nipped the whole thing in the bud.

No vex o, but I beg to disagree with your stand on this issue.

yup, you are more than welcome to disagree on my stand, that is the essence of debate in itself, the right to disagree.

Here's my point -
- it is too flimsy to disregard the complete silence from the south as being down to them being too busy to worry about survival. We are not so brain dead as not to take seriously issues that pertain to vaccination of babies. Infact unlike the south that has almost completely eradicated the polio virus, it is the north (the noisemakers) who account for 79% of cases of the polio virus in the whole world.

- Yes, rumors, falsehood and misrepresentation of facts can be "widely" reported in the news, it does not make them facts.

- If indeed the Kano doctors have publicised their findings, why is the Federal Government yet to take up the issue with UNICEF? Where are these Indian doctors whose laboratory the findings where allegedly made? Are they sworn to secrecy on this matter?

Those are issues that cannot just be swept under the carpet just because we want to be seen as being patriotic.
Re: The Hausas, The Politics Of The Polio Vaccine, And The Monkey In Us All. by denex: 4:56pm On Aug 15, 2007
So the people wey complain about monkey virus in polio vaccines in tin US and Canada as early as the 1960s are from Northern Nigeria.

The Nicaraguans and mexicans that complained about abortion drugs in Tetanus vaccine, they are from Northern Nigeria.

The women that secured a court injunction in the Phillipines against being vaccinated, are they northerners?

The pharmacists that carried out tests in South Africa, are they Northerners?

Was it northerners that spread those lies on the internet? Considering you have already confirmed that they are all illiterates that don't use the internet.

And what ethnic benefits do I have to reap. Afterall, all our children here in the South drank excess of the vaccine which will begin manifesting widespread infertility and cancer when they mature.
Re: The Hausas, The Politics Of The Polio Vaccine, And The Monkey In Us All. by PTH(m): 4:58pm On Aug 15, 2007
denex:

So the people wey complain about monkey virus in polio vaccines in tin US and Canada as early as the 1960s are from Northern Nigeria.

The Nicaraguans and mexicans that complained about abortion drugs in Tetanus vaccine, they are from Northern Nigeria.

The women that secured a court injunction in the Phillipines against being vaccinated, are they northerners?

The pharmacists that carried out tests in South Africa, are they Northerners?

Was it northerners that spread those lies on the internet? Considering you have already confirmed that they are all illiterates that don't use the internet.

And what ethnic benefits do I have to reap. Afterall, all our children here in the South drank excess of the vaccine which will begin manifesting widespread infertility and cancer when they mature.

huh?  undecided i still don't get the point of this post. So because there were previous cases of vacciine contamiination every claim of contamination is now to be accepted as credible?

There was once an issue of the importation of killer beans, should we then ban the importation of beans altogether or do we agree that petrol can no longer be trusted to be safe since we once had issues of smelly fuel? The amount of circular reasoning we see here on a daily basis is amazing.

(1) (Reply)

Is Really There Any Hope For Africans? / Oyo To Spend N200m On Festival / Bishop David Oyedepo Visits Yardua

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.