Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,193 members, 7,818,636 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:22 PM

Court Unrecognizes Umahi As APC Senatorial Candidate, Orders Fresh Rerun - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Unrecognizes Umahi As APC Senatorial Candidate, Orders Fresh Rerun (1610 Views)

Appeal Court Sacks Senate Minority Leader PDP's Mwadkwon, orders fresh election / Court Sacks Governor Umahi As Ebonyi South APC Senatorial Candidate / Suleiman Abba Loses APC Senatorial Ticket, Asks God To Deal With Oshiomhole (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Unrecognizes Umahi As APC Senatorial Candidate, Orders Fresh Rerun by Ebubu3: 12:26pm On Jul 23, 2022
A Federal High Court in Abakaliki, the Ebonyi State capital, has thrown out a suit filed by the governor of the state, Dave Umahi, asking the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to recognise him as an All Progressives Congress (APC) senatorial candidate.

In its ruling delivered on Friday, the court recognised Ann Agom-Eze, who came second in the May 28 senatorial primary for Ebonyi south.

According to NAN, the court, however, ordered INEC to conduct a fresh primary within 14 days for the district.

Umahi’s counsel, Roy Nweze, had filed a suit against INEC at the federal high court, asking the court to compel the electoral body to recognise him as the senatorial candidate for the district.

Austin Umahi, brother to the governor, was declared the winner of the APC senatorial ticket for Ebonyi south.

According to NAN, another primary was held on June 9, during which Austin withdrew, and the Ebonyi governor reportedly contested unopposed and won.

However, although the APC had listed Dave Umahi as its senatorial candidate for Ebonyi north, he was excluded when INEC published the list of candidates for the 2023 elections.

Reacting to the development, Nnaemeka Nwonwu, who is counsel to Agom-Eze, expressed satisfaction over the judgment.

“Yes, the court has ordered APC to conduct a fresh primary to ratify the candidacy of our client, Ann Agom-Eze, who took the second position as governor’s younger brother has withdrawn,” Nwonwu said.

“The court has given 14 days from today, Friday, to conduct a fresh primary for the zone.”

https://dailypost.ng/2022/07/23/court-refuses-to-recognize-umahi-as-apc-senatorial-candidate-orders-fresh-primary/?amp=1
Re: Court Unrecognizes Umahi As APC Senatorial Candidate, Orders Fresh Rerun by Ebubu3: 12:27pm On Jul 23, 2022
Umahi will contest in fresh primary shocked
Re: Court Unrecognizes Umahi As APC Senatorial Candidate, Orders Fresh Rerun by kcmichael: 12:35pm On Jul 23, 2022
see una, umahi will context in new primary and win and win also in senate seat. umahi is the best performing governor in south east , his only sin is that he joined apc

2 Likes

Re: Court Unrecognizes Umahi As APC Senatorial Candidate, Orders Fresh Rerun by Ebubu3: 12:37pm On Jul 23, 2022
kcmichael:
see una, umahi will context in new primary and win and win also in senate seat. umahi is the best performing governor in south east , his only sin is that he joined apc
He will win the rerun

1 Like

Re: Court Unrecognizes Umahi As APC Senatorial Candidate, Orders Fresh Rerun by Ebubu3: 12:42pm On Jul 23, 2022
Agom Eze should not rejoice yet
Re: Court Unrecognizes Umahi As APC Senatorial Candidate, Orders Fresh Rerun by Ebubu3: 12:43pm On Jul 23, 2022
Lalasticlala mynd44 are you seeing what I'm seeing shocked
Re: Court Unrecognizes Umahi As APC Senatorial Candidate, Orders Fresh Rerun by fergie001: 12:46pm On Jul 23, 2022
Ebubu3:

He will win the rerun
Do you know the meaning of ratify?

sign or give formal consent to (a treaty, contract, or agreement), making it officially valid.

They are authenticating Agom-Eze.... Umahi cannot participate in the re-run (unless the same Agom-Eze surreptitiously withdrew herself).

6 Likes

Re: Court Unrecognizes Umahi As APC Senatorial Candidate, Orders Fresh Rerun by Indispensable85(m): 12:50pm On Jul 23, 2022
Why did they report half of the news before? Mtcheeew......
But can Umahi contest in the new primary? I wish him well. He's easily the best governor from the south east in a long time. I think he'll do well as minister of works.

1 Like

Re: Court Unrecognizes Umahi As APC Senatorial Candidate, Orders Fresh Rerun by Indispensable85(m): 12:52pm On Jul 23, 2022
fergie001:

sign or give formal consent to (a treaty, contract, or agreement), making it officially valid.

They are authenticating Agom-Eze.... Umahi cannot participate in the re-run (unless the same Agom-Eze surreptitiously withdrew herself).

That's the opinion of her lawyer. The judgement didn't specify that the fresh primary must ratify her otherwise there's no need for a fresh primary having been recognized as the right candidate by the same court.
Re: Court Unrecognizes Umahi As APC Senatorial Candidate, Orders Fresh Rerun by ezegold4we: 12:52pm On Jul 23, 2022
The New electoral act made it impossible for candidate to stand for two different elective positions in same election way, umahi is automatically disqualified becos he already contested for APC presidential primaries.

11 Likes

Re: Court Unrecognizes Umahi As APC Senatorial Candidate, Orders Fresh Rerun by fergie001: 12:54pm On Jul 23, 2022
Indispensable85:

That's the opinion of her lawyer. The judgement didn't specify that the fresh primary must ratify her otherwise there's no need for a fresh primary having been recognized as the right candidate by the same court.
Once there is a withdrawal, it is not automatic. There has to be a ratification, ask Ayade.

Will her lawyer be happy that she will be contesting Umahi?

2 Likes

Re: Court Unrecognizes Umahi As APC Senatorial Candidate, Orders Fresh Rerun by Ebubu3: 12:55pm On Jul 23, 2022
fergie001:

you will see
Re: Court Unrecognizes Umahi As APC Senatorial Candidate, Orders Fresh Rerun by fergie001: 12:57pm On Jul 23, 2022
Ebubu3:
you will see
No P.
I have seen a letter around that she officially withdrew, unless it were true, Umahi Dave will not participate.

2 Likes

Re: Court Unrecognizes Umahi As APC Senatorial Candidate, Orders Fresh Rerun by Indispensable85(m): 12:58pm On Jul 23, 2022
fergie001:
Once there is a withdrawal, it is not automatic. There has to be a ratification, ask Ayade.

Will her lawyer be happy that she will be contesting Umahi?

I'm speaking directly from the order of the court not what her lawyer wants. The order of the court is clear and it didn't include ratifying her in a fresh primary.

According to NAN, the court, however, ordered INEC to conduct a fresh primary within 14 days for the district.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court Unrecognizes Umahi As APC Senatorial Candidate, Orders Fresh Rerun by fergie001: 1:02pm On Jul 23, 2022
Indispensable85:
I'm speaking directly from the order of the court not what her lawyer wants. The order of the court is clear and it didn't include ratifying her in a fresh primary.

Listen, a Primary held in May, Austin won. They conducted another Primary on June 09, at the new Primary, Austin withdrew.

A fresh Primary doesn't mean there is a contest....Primary is for the Party to determine her Candidate. Haven't you seen a Party Primary with only one Candidate? Was Machina not the only Candidate in Yobe? Will that not be called a Primary?

I repeat, unless Agom-Eze secretly withdrew, Dave Nweze Umahi will not participate. There is a letter going round, some say forged and some say original.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Unrecognizes Umahi As APC Senatorial Candidate, Orders Fresh Rerun by NaijaCowFarm: 1:07pm On Jul 23, 2022
Reacting to the development, Nnaemeka Nwonwu, who is counsel to Agom-Eze, expressed satisfaction over the judgment.

“Yes, the court has ordered APC to conduct a fresh primary to ratify the candidacy of our client, Ann Agom-Eze, who took the second position as governor’s younger brother has withdrawn,” Nwonwu said.

“The court has given 14 days from today, Friday, to conduct a fresh primary for the zone.”

To ratify or to conduct fresh primary, the reporter is a JOKE
Re: Court Unrecognizes Umahi As APC Senatorial Candidate, Orders Fresh Rerun by AntonVince: 1:15pm On Jul 23, 2022
The question is:
Is he eligible to participate in the rerun?

Going by earlier clarification by some lawyers in the house, I doubt Umahi will take part.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Unrecognizes Umahi As APC Senatorial Candidate, Orders Fresh Rerun by Indispensable85(m): 1:17pm On Jul 23, 2022
fergie001:
Listen, a Primary held in May, Austin won. They conducted another Primary on June 09, at the new Primary, Austin withdrew.

A fresh Primary doesn't mean there is a contest....Primary is for the Party to determine her Candidate. Haven't you seen a Party Primary with only one Candidate? Was Machina not the only Candidate in Yobe? Will that not be called a Primary?

I repeat, unless Agom-Eze secretly withdrew, Dave Nweze Umahi will not participate. There is a letter going round, some say forged and some say original.

Now now? She withdrew? Naija politicians matter don tire me.
Re: Court Unrecognizes Umahi As APC Senatorial Candidate, Orders Fresh Rerun by fergie001: 1:19pm On Jul 23, 2022
Indispensable85:
Now now? She withdrew? Naija politicians matter don tire me.
Not that, some say the letter is forged, because it was posted by one of Umahi's SAs. If indeed she withdrew, she misled the Court and it will be upturned going further, but if she didn't withdraw there is no way she wouldn't be the Candidate. A fresh Primary will be conducted for her alone.....
Re: Court Unrecognizes Umahi As APC Senatorial Candidate, Orders Fresh Rerun by seunmsg(m): 1:22pm On Jul 23, 2022
APC should simply appeal or negotiate with the Agom-Eze lady. I’m sure she has a price. She can’t win the general election so what’s her problem? Except she’s working for the opposition to destroy the chances of APC in the state, she should take some compensation and step aside.

1 Like

Re: Court Unrecognizes Umahi As APC Senatorial Candidate, Orders Fresh Rerun by fergie001: 1:25pm On Jul 23, 2022
seunmsg:
APC should simply appeal or negotiate with the Agom lady. I’m sure she has a price. She can’t win the general election so what’s her problem? Except she’s working for the opposition to destroy the chances of APC in the state, she should take some compensation and step aside.
She is part of the old APC alongside Ogbonnaya Onu and Elias Mbam (the former RMAFC Chair) who resigned to contest for Guber.

Now, Umahi joined the Party and have cornered all the slots for the people he moved into the APC with. Onu is sidelined, Mbam lost the power struggle for Governor, so they want to get back at him. Maybe, the National can do something differently not Umahi.

1 Like

Re: Court Unrecognizes Umahi As APC Senatorial Candidate, Orders Fresh Rerun by Indispensable85(m): 1:26pm On Jul 23, 2022
fergie001:
Not that, some say the letter is forged, because it was posted by one of Umahi's SAs. If indeed she withdrew, she misled the Court and it will upturned going further, but if she didn't withdraw there is no way she wouldn't be the Candidate. A fresh Primary will be conducted for her alone.....

She withdrew even before the court case I guess? The letter looks authentic. I hope she has not misled the judge?
Re: Court Unrecognizes Umahi As APC Senatorial Candidate, Orders Fresh Rerun by fergie001: 1:30pm On Jul 23, 2022
Indispensable85:
She withdrew even before the court case I guess? The letter looks authentic. I hope she has not misled the judge?
Nobody can say until maybe when it gets to Appeal, this will come up.......

My question, did they show this to the Court?

1 Like

Re: Court Unrecognizes Umahi As APC Senatorial Candidate, Orders Fresh Rerun by seunmsg(m): 1:35pm On Jul 23, 2022
fergie001:
She is part of the old APC alongside Ogbonnaya Onu and Elias Mbam (the former RMAFC Chair) who resigned to contest for Guber.

Now, Umahi joined the Party and have cornered all the slots for the people he moved into the APC with. Onu is sidelined, Mbam lost the power struggle for Governor, so they want to get back at him. Maybe, the National can do something differently not Umahi.

They are all part of APC now and should be able to reach a common group in the overall interest of the party. That she can’t win the election without the support of Umahi is a fact. APC need to put her best foot forward. Enough of APC fighting against the interest of APC.
Re: Court Unrecognizes Umahi As APC Senatorial Candidate, Orders Fresh Rerun by fergie001: 1:38pm On Jul 23, 2022
seunmsg:
They are all part of APC now and should be able to reach a common group in the overall interest of the party. That she can’t win the election without the support of Umahi is a fact. APC need to put her best foot forward. Enough of APC fighting against the interest of APC.
Politics is all about interests, if you don't satisfy mine then we lose it all.

How did APC lose Zamfara? PDP in Delta are having same problems as well.

Give me what belongs to me...and all that....... Crisis Management is very good for any Political Party to succeed. Matawalle conceded and gave to Yari & Marafa....so something also has to give way.

1 Like

Re: Court Unrecognizes Umahi As APC Senatorial Candidate, Orders Fresh Rerun by dragunov: 1:46pm On Jul 23, 2022
seunmsg:
APC should simply appeal or negotiate with the Agom-Eze lady. I’m sure she has a price. She can’t win the general election so what’s her problem? Except she’s working for the opposition to destroy the chances of APC in the state, she should take some compensation and step aside.

Imagine this corrupt guy. Even saying it online like it's supposed to be normal. Nobody should even dare to leave a classroom to this fellow. He go spoil the life of de pikins.

3 Likes

Re: Court Unrecognizes Umahi As APC Senatorial Candidate, Orders Fresh Rerun by Indispensable85(m): 1:59pm On Jul 23, 2022
fergie001:
Nobody can say until maybe when it gets to Appeal, this will come up.......

My question, did they show this to the Court?

Your last sentence, I doubt they did.
Re: Court Unrecognizes Umahi As APC Senatorial Candidate, Orders Fresh Rerun by sanpipita(m): 1:59pm On Jul 23, 2022
Participating in two primaries will still be a hurdle for Umahi, he should give it a rest, with way they are going APC might end up having no candidate for that senate seat.

1 Like

Re: Court Unrecognizes Umahi As APC Senatorial Candidate, Orders Fresh Rerun by seunmsg(m): 2:07pm On Jul 23, 2022
fergie001:

Politics is all about interests, if you don't satisfy mine then we lose it all.

How did APC lose Zamfara? PDP in Delta are having same problems as well.

Give me what belongs to me...and all that....... Crisis Management is very good for any Political Party to succeed. Matawalle conceded and gave to Yari & Marafa....so something also has to give way.

We are saying the same thing. APC should negotiate with her so that she can step aside. What’s the point flying the ticket only to lose the general election?
Re: Court Unrecognizes Umahi As APC Senatorial Candidate, Orders Fresh Rerun by Ayed44: 2:08pm On Jul 23, 2022
kcmichael:
Umahi has already participated in the APC'S presidential primary, he can't participate in another primary.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Prominent PDP Chieftain Declares Support For Peter Obi, Defects To Labour Party / APC Poster Spotted In Lagos With Peter Obi As President / Obasa Wins Polling Unit For Asiwaju Tinubu, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.