Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,366 members, 7,815,783 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:15 PM

OCI Foundation's Bill On Anti-Breast, Anti-Cervical Cancer Passes Second Reading - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / OCI Foundation's Bill On Anti-Breast, Anti-Cervical Cancer Passes Second Reading (7879 Views)

Bill Mandating Teaching Against SGBV In Schools A Plus For Female Folks — OCI NG / OCI Foundation Unveils AlexReports As PR Strategist (Photos) / Minister Commissions Digital Cervical Cancer Screening Centre Donated By OCI Fou (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

OCI Foundation's Bill On Anti-Breast, Anti-Cervical Cancer Passes Second Reading by GLeesMODEL(m): 8:15pm On Jul 23, 2022
OCI Foundation's Bill On Including Anti-Breast And Anti- Cervical Cancer Teachings In The Curriculum Of Nigerian Senior Secondary Schools Pass Second Reading

It was a big day for the fight against breast and cervical cancer fights in Nigeria, as an OCI Foundation initiative that seeks to include teachings against breast and cervical cancers into the curriculum of all senior secondary schools in Nigeria, successfully went through Second Reading at the Nigerian National Assembly (NASS).

The Bill is being sponsored by Hon Dr Tanko Sununu (the Chief Sponsor and Chairman, House Committee on Health Care Services) and Hon Prof Julius Ihonvbere (the Co-Sponsor and Chairman, House Committee on Basic Education). It also has the support of the Distinguished Sen Dr Ifeanyi Uba of the Nigerian Senate.

It should be recalled that, on Thursday, March 31, 2022, the Bill scaled through First Reading. It is part of the OCI Foundation’s "Arm Our Youths (ArOY) Anti-Cancer Health Campaign", a novel initiative targeting youths in *Nigerian Senior Secondary Schools* and the *National Youths Service Corps* (NYSC) scheme, and is designed to change the narrative against breast and cervical cancers in Nigeria. This initiative is the first of its kind anywhere in the world.

Already, in partnership with Nigeria NYSC, the OCI Foundation is annually delivering the same anti-cancer campaign to hundreds of thousands of Nigerian fresh graduates (youth corps members) in all the 37 NYSC orientation camps in Nigeria (the 36 states plus the FCT).

The ArOY Health Campaign enjoys the *support of the Nigerian First Lady, Her Excellency, Dr Aisha Buhari*, whose NGO, the *FUTURE ASSURED FOUNDATION*, is partnering with the OCI Foundation on the Bill.

Alongside the Nigerian First Lady, other partners to the *ArOY Health Campaign Bill* include the *Nigerian Cancer Society* (NCS), the *Nigerian First Ladies Against Cancer* (FLAC), the *Sweet Home Africa Humanitarian Foundation* (SHAHF), the *Federation of International Women Lawyers* (FIDA) and the *Amity Global Network/Alex Reports*.

The Second Reading of this ArOY Campaign Bill brings the OCI Foundation’s dream and commitment to empowering Nigerian youths against breast and cervical cancers in all the senior secondary schools across the country, another step closer to reality.

We look forward to this Bill becoming Law, in due course.

*We Rise, By Lifting Others*

*Charles C. OKOH,
_Executive Assistant to the OCI Foundation’s President_

https://www.statepress.ng/2022/07/oci-foundations-bill-on-including-anti.html

1 Like

Re: OCI Foundation's Bill On Anti-Breast, Anti-Cervical Cancer Passes Second Reading by GLeesMODEL(m): 8:15pm On Jul 23, 2022
More

Re: OCI Foundation's Bill On Anti-Breast, Anti-Cervical Cancer Passes Second Reading by salem1996: 9:26pm On Jul 23, 2022
Abeg, why people deh rejoice when them get FTC?

Make I know my next move... just like the Breast Bill the move wink

1 Like

Re: OCI Foundation's Bill On Anti-Breast, Anti-Cervical Cancer Passes Second Reading by Lanre4uonly(m): 9:26pm On Jul 23, 2022
Ok, noted.
Re: OCI Foundation's Bill On Anti-Breast, Anti-Cervical Cancer Passes Second Reading by Judolisco(m): 9:26pm On Jul 23, 2022
Push bills to make it compulsory for lawmakers children to school in government own schs...pass dis Bill and ASUU won't go on strike again

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: OCI Foundation's Bill On Anti-Breast, Anti-Cervical Cancer Passes Second Reading by Ezedon(m): 9:26pm On Jul 23, 2022
Bobby post
It is a well known facts that all these men on those pictures including Bubu, Atiku, Dino are all Br*ast Suckers
Re: OCI Foundation's Bill On Anti-Breast, Anti-Cervical Cancer Passes Second Reading by Ussycool: 9:26pm On Jul 23, 2022
Our Women are going through a lot.
They need our prayer, support and love.

My Mum battle Fibrosis.

I love you Mama

11 Likes

Re: OCI Foundation's Bill On Anti-Breast, Anti-Cervical Cancer Passes Second Reading by updatechange(m): 9:26pm On Jul 23, 2022
Nice one
Re: OCI Foundation's Bill On Anti-Breast, Anti-Cervical Cancer Passes Second Reading by Primusinterpares(m): 9:27pm On Jul 23, 2022
Way to go... Early detection can be treated

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: OCI Foundation's Bill On Anti-Breast, Anti-Cervical Cancer Passes Second Reading by Olachase(m): 9:27pm On Jul 23, 2022
Even sign board I no day read again undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: OCI Foundation's Bill On Anti-Breast, Anti-Cervical Cancer Passes Second Reading by waice6571: 9:29pm On Jul 23, 2022
Would it make Nigeria health sector better in anyway?

Celebrating failure as usual!

1 Like

Re: OCI Foundation's Bill On Anti-Breast, Anti-Cervical Cancer Passes Second Reading by UcLloyd: 9:29pm On Jul 23, 2022
What of other cancers? Prostrate cancer is on a serious rise , who's going to educate us? I got to know little about it cus I got close to a case of a benign one. Why are men not considered in this society of ours. Is beginning to annoy me, the other day, a friend was sad cus he lost a MALE friend to Cancer of the bone marrow, a MALE friend
Re: OCI Foundation's Bill On Anti-Breast, Anti-Cervical Cancer Passes Second Reading by shogotermies(m): 9:30pm On Jul 23, 2022
Breast cancer should be taught in schools, I agree.
But the ecosystem, market products, foods,technologies in Nigeria and our negligence on a lot of things is way more beyond this intervention.
Re: OCI Foundation's Bill On Anti-Breast, Anti-Cervical Cancer Passes Second Reading by MonkeyMods(m): 9:34pm On Jul 23, 2022
See how ifeanyi is shocked

He should take it easy on eating before he drops one day

Very unhealthy looking
Re: OCI Foundation's Bill On Anti-Breast, Anti-Cervical Cancer Passes Second Reading by Mindlog: 9:35pm On Jul 23, 2022
Ussycool:

My Mum battle Fibrosis.

I love you Mama

I hope she has considered going in for surgery to remove it
Re: OCI Foundation's Bill On Anti-Breast, Anti-Cervical Cancer Passes Second Reading by Ibkhaleel: 9:35pm On Jul 23, 2022
Ezedon:
Bobby post
It is a well known facts that all these men on those pictures including Bubu, Atiku, Dino are all Br*ast Suckers
Peter obi is the real breast sucker....who invest in alcohol... useless set of people from a drunkard region

1 Like

Re: OCI Foundation's Bill On Anti-Breast, Anti-Cervical Cancer Passes Second Reading by Ussycool: 9:39pm On Jul 23, 2022
Mindlog:

I hope she has considered going in for surgery to remove it
Yeah, we have make an arrangement.
Very soon.
Re: OCI Foundation's Bill On Anti-Breast, Anti-Cervical Cancer Passes Second Reading by Voiceofthestree: 9:40pm On Jul 23, 2022
Lo
Ussycool:

My Mum battle Fibrosis.

I love you Mama

Look for the herb I mean agbo concorsion and thank me later.
Re: OCI Foundation's Bill On Anti-Breast, Anti-Cervical Cancer Passes Second Reading by JoshTrillions(m): 9:45pm On Jul 23, 2022
We are becoming experts in passing bills and letting them rot afterwards. I’m not really excited about the scaling and passing of bills till the effect of already passed ones is felt positively. Too much theatrics for this corntree.
Re: OCI Foundation's Bill On Anti-Breast, Anti-Cervical Cancer Passes Second Reading by Adoyo: 9:46pm On Jul 23, 2022
Hmmm
Re: OCI Foundation's Bill On Anti-Breast, Anti-Cervical Cancer Passes Second Reading by Mindlog: 10:20pm On Jul 23, 2022
Ussycool:

Yeah, we have make an arrangement.

Very soon.

Also have a relative here in the UK, she is a postgraduate student and it has been confirmed after some tests, she has fibroids by the consultant gynaecologist and a surgery had been scheduled for 1st August but she requested it be shifted to October, so she can concentrate on her dissertation though the consultant gynaecologist said it will be done within 10mins and she would be discharged same day, that she can also resume work after 24hrs.

Even the consultant anaesthetist called her thing morning as part of the pre operative assessment, which was aimed at preparing her mentally for the surgery and how the consultant anaesthetist would help her manage the pain throughout her short stay in the hospital.

I believe your mum would get good treatment, the earlier the better.

1 Like

Re: OCI Foundation's Bill On Anti-Breast, Anti-Cervical Cancer Passes Second Reading by dragunov: 3:58am On Jul 24, 2022
Ibkhaleel:
Peter obi is the real breast sucker....who invest in alcohol... useless set of people from a drunkard region

We hate you too. So leave is alone. Go and form your country. Holier- than-thou, sanctimonious thieves. They pretend to hate alcohol in Nigeria but go to London to drink wine and liquor. Bloody hypocrites!
Re: OCI Foundation's Bill On Anti-Breast, Anti-Cervical Cancer Passes Second Reading by abumeinben(m): 7:12am On Jul 24, 2022
Yup... supported.

They need to know at the very early age .

Home economics should be introduced into Senior Secondary curriculum too. It'll serve as handwork to those who couldn't further to tertiary.
Re: OCI Foundation's Bill On Anti-Breast, Anti-Cervical Cancer Passes Second Reading by PharmacyStore: 3:51pm On Jul 24, 2022
Nice one, I hope it is passed into law
Re: OCI Foundation's Bill On Anti-Breast, Anti-Cervical Cancer Passes Second Reading by Ussycool: 9:10am On Jul 25, 2022
Mindlog:

Also have a relative here in the UK, she is a postgraduate student and it has been confirmed after some tests, she has fibroids by the consultant gynaecologist and a surgery had been scheduled for 1st August but she requested it be shifted to October, so she can concentrate on her dissertation though the consultant gynaecologist said it will be done within 10mins and she would be discharged same day, that she can also resume work after 24hrs.

Even the consultant anaesthetist called her thing morning as part of the pre operative assessment, which was aimed at preparing her mentally for the surgery and how the consultant anaesthetist would help her manage the pain throughout her short stay in the hospital.

I believe your mum would get good treatment, the earlier the better.
Wow, that is developed country for you. The healh sector here is very bad and corrupt. Though, i am scared of post surgery effects or possibly, fail surgery. These people need our prayer
Re: OCI Foundation's Bill On Anti-Breast, Anti-Cervical Cancer Passes Second Reading by zeekorji: 5:39pm On Sep 10, 2022
As of 2021, over 11000 women were diagnosed with cervical cancer yearly
The mortality rate is around 50% if I am not mistaken.

These were peoples' moms, wives, daughters, sisters, and friends.
There is a need to stop this menace, and I believe the OCI foundation is doing the right thing.
I want to believe that many of us are in support of saving the lives of our women.

We rise by lifting others.

https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/what-to-know-about-cervical-cancer-nigeria/

(1) (Reply)

Help! Been Having A Long Date With Catarrh And Sneezing / Lassa Fever Spreads To Osun, One Dead, 40 Isolated / Lagos Records 536 COVID-19 Patients On January 28

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.