Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,225 members, 7,815,282 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:13 AM

Hypertensive Man Dies As Bribe-Chasing Lastmamen Seize Vehicle - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hypertensive Man Dies As Bribe-Chasing Lastmamen Seize Vehicle (28201 Views)

Police Go After LASTMA Officials Who Reportedly Cause Death Of Hypertensive Man / Our Officers Not Authorised To Seize Vehicle Documents — FRSC / Our Officers Not Authorised To Seize Vehicle Documents — FRSC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hypertensive Man Dies As Bribe-Chasing Lastmamen Seize Vehicle by Antoeni(m): 11:55am On Jul 25, 2022
The family of a Bureau De Change operator, Modibo Usman, has been thrown into mourning after he died from shock following an encounter with two officers of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority in the Surulere area of Lagos State.

PUNCH Metro gathered that Modibo, who was hypertensive, was being conveyed by his son, Mustapha, to the Foremost Radiology Consultant Hospital on Ogunlana Drive, Surulere, to obtain a test result for his daughter, Ummu, when he had the encounter with the officers.

Mustapha, while speaking to our correspondent on Sunday, said his father also had an appointment with his doctor at the Living Heart Hospital in the Lekki area of the state on the same day.

He said when the two officers stopped him for allegedly disobeying traffic light, his father pleaded that he was on his way for a medical emergency but the officers ignored him.

Mustapha said, “My father and I kept pleading with them but the officers refused. My father was even crying and telling them that he had a medical emergency but they said that is what people usually say.

“The two officers ordered us to go to the back seat and they sat at the front and started driving us to the Foremost Radiology Consultant Hospital. My father continued crying that he was in an emergency; they then demanded N50,000 to release us.

“But when we got to the hospital, we quickly rushed to get the test result to show them so we could continue our journey to see his doctor at Lekki but the officers and the vehicle were nowhere to be found when we returned.

“Instantly, my dad suffered a shock and collapsed. I quickly alerted the nurses where we picked my sister’s result and they rushed to attend to him and confirmed him dead.

“When I rushed to the LASTMA office to inform the officers that what they did had caused my father’s death, they started saying I could take the vehicle but I left it there and called our relative, Mrs Yosi Yaduma, to inform her about what happened.”

Yaduma said she reported the case at the Area C Command in Surulere, adding that the two officers were arrested and the case transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department, Yaba.

Lamenting that the bereaved family had been clamouring for justice, Yaduma said Modibo, who was the breadwinner of his family, was survived by two wives and 11 children.

She said, “The incident happened on Friday. Alhaji Modibo was a Bureau De Change operator who was hypertensive. He told the officers that he was going to a hospital, even if he had broken the rule, in cases of emergency, rules can be broken.

“He even pleaded with them that he wanted to get the results of his daughter suffering from Down Syndrome, and from there, he would be going to the Living Heart Hospital in Lekki to see his doctor but the officers demanded a bribe of N50,000.

“We are in possession of a video of the violation and where Baba agreed that the officers should drop them at the Foremost Diagnostics. After dropping Baba and his son, the officers told him to instruct his son to follow them so he could know where the vehicle was, but Baba said his son did not know anywhere in Lagos.

“He said they would come later. But while they were at the Foremost Diagnostics, maybe Baba had a crisis and he passed on. Thereafter, the case was reported at Area C, from where it was transferred to the SCID, Yaba.”

LASTMA has been in the eye of the storm over alleged extortion of motorists through traffic lights.

A recent investigation by PUNCH Metro showed some men of the agency worked in connivance with the police.

The agency had promised to probe officers deployed in the Berger-Isheri area, who were implicated in the investigation by our correspondent.

Three weeks after, the outcome of the probe had yet to be revealed

https://punchng.com/hypertensive-man-dies-as-bribe-chasing-lastmamen-seize-vehicle/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR09H2bjsPx5Yi0a2nM2GS_inLw5LTT1PMGGoIa6ydvLCpZCEixJdwAbonY#Echobox=1658723487

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Hypertensive Man Dies As Bribe-Chasing Lastmamen Seize Vehicle by Antoeni(m): 11:57am On Jul 25, 2022
Blame the Lagos State government who has turned LASTMA to revenue generation agency in the state. LASTMA are now microfinance bank working with target. What a State!. Please don't let us continue puting blame on those guys, Lagos State government should re- think and discharge their duties to the citizen.

139 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Hypertensive Man Dies As Bribe-Chasing Lastmamen Seize Vehicle by Antoeni(m): 12:01pm On Jul 25, 2022
A friend who hails from Ogbomoso called to inform me that he mistakenly drove on BRT Lane and wás arrested. He paid N70k to have his vehicle released.

Another Lagos driver who mentioned the name of his district in Lagos carried me, committed the same offense and was asked to pay N5000.

Double standards.

This is the nonsense Tinubu created to inflict pain and disaster on hapless Nigerians who do not hail from Lagos.

May God comfort the family of the deceased and help us to choose the right leaders

100 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Hypertensive Man Dies As Bribe-Chasing Lastmamen Seize Vehicle by treesun: 12:10pm On Jul 25, 2022
Antoeni:
The family of a Bureau De Change operator, Modibo Usman, has been thrown into mourning after he died from shock following an encounter with two officers of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority in the Surulere area of Lagos State.

PUNCH Metro gathered that Modibo, who was hypertensive, was being conveyed by his son, Mustapha, to the Foremost Radiology Consultant Hospital on Ogunlana Drive, Surulere, to obtain a test result for his daughter, Ummu, when he had the encounter with the officers.

Mustapha, while speaking to our correspondent on Sunday, said his father also had an appointment with his doctor at the Living Heart Hospital in the Lekki area of the state on the same day.

He said when the two officers stopped him for allegedly disobeying traffic light, his father pleaded that he was on his way for a medical emergency but the officers ignored him.

Mustapha said, “My father and I kept pleading with them but the officers refused. My father was even crying and telling them that he had a medical emergency but they said that is what people usually say.

“The two officers ordered us to go to the back seat and they sat at the front and started driving us to the Foremost Radiology Consultant Hospital. My father continued crying that he was in an emergency; they then demanded N50,000 to release us.

“But when we got to the hospital, we quickly rushed to get the test result to show them so we could continue our journey to see his doctor at Lekki but the officers and the vehicle were nowhere to be found when we returned.

“Instantly, my dad suffered a shock and collapsed. I quickly alerted the nurses where we picked my sister’s result and they rushed to attend to him and confirmed him dead.

“When I rushed to the LASTMA office to inform the officers that what they did had caused my father’s death, they started saying I could take the vehicle but I left it there and called our relative, Mrs Yosi Yaduma, to inform her about what happened.”

Yaduma said she reported the case at the Area C Command in Surulere, adding that the two officers were arrested and the case transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department, Yaba.

Lamenting that the bereaved family had been clamouring for justice, Yaduma said Modibo, who was the breadwinner of his family, was survived by two wives and 11 children.

She said, “The incident happened on Friday. Alhaji Modibo was a Bureau De Change operator who was hypertensive. He told the officers that he was going to a hospital, even if he had broken the rule, in cases of emergency, rules can be broken.

“He even pleaded with them that he wanted to get the results of his daughter suffering from Down Syndrome, and from there, he would be going to the Living Heart Hospital in Lekki to see his doctor but the officers demanded a bribe of N50,000.

“We are in possession of a video of the violation and where Baba agreed that the officers should drop them at the Foremost Diagnostics. After dropping Baba and his son, the officers told him to instruct his son to follow them so he could know where the vehicle was, but Baba said his son did not know anywhere in Lagos.

“He said they would come later. But while they were at the Foremost Diagnostics, maybe Baba had a crisis and he passed on. Thereafter, the case was reported at Area C, from where it was transferred to the SCID, Yaba.”

LASTMA has been in the eye of the storm over alleged extortion of motorists through traffic lights.

A recent investigation by PUNCH Metro showed some men of the agency worked in connivance with the police.

The agency had promised to probe officers deployed in the Berger-Isheri area, who were implicated in the investigation by our correspondent.

Three weeks after, the outcome of the probe had yet to be revealed.

https://punchng.com/hypertensive-man-dies-as-bribe-chasing-lastmamen-seize-vehicle/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR09H2bjsPx5Yi0a2nM2GS_inLw5LTT1PMGGoIa6ydvLCpZCEixJdwAbonY#Echobox=1658723487

LASTMA are nothing, but criminals and agberos in uniform!

40 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Hypertensive Man Dies As Bribe-Chasing Lastmamen Seize Vehicle by Kalashnikov49: 12:12pm On Jul 25, 2022
LASTMA is an extortionist organization, used by the government to generate illicit revenue,

As Agbero settle Tinubu, so does LASTMA settle both Tinubu and LASG.

According to MURIC miscreants who have taken over affairs in Lagos ministries and agencies, LAGOS is LAS VEGAS.

Osun based zombies will never comment on this because AGBERO AND TOUTISM are hallmarks of their useless benefactor Tinubu.

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Hypertensive Man Dies As Bribe-Chasing Lastmamen Seize Vehicle by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jul 25, 2022
Hmm
Re: Hypertensive Man Dies As Bribe-Chasing Lastmamen Seize Vehicle by Superwave16320: 1:19pm On Jul 25, 2022
Na only Lagos state govt u wan blame you no blame Tinubu so we all can know you are totally mad.

Antoeni:
Blame the Lagos State government who has turned LASTMA to revenue generation agency in the state. LASTMA are now microfinance bank working with target. What a State!. Please don't let us continue puting blame on those guys, Lagos State government should re- think and discharge their duties to the citizen.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hypertensive Man Dies As Bribe-Chasing Lastmamen Seize Vehicle by iCauseTrouble: 2:41pm On Jul 25, 2022
angry
Re: Hypertensive Man Dies As Bribe-Chasing Lastmamen Seize Vehicle by begood2GEJ(m): 2:41pm On Jul 25, 2022
Insensitivity is one of the reasons some people who found themselves in privileged positions lord it over others especially the vulnerable.

Truly, people are passing through a lot and it's important that one demonstrates empathy at this point of our national life.

8 Likes

Re: Hypertensive Man Dies As Bribe-Chasing Lastmamen Seize Vehicle by Houseofglam7(f): 2:41pm On Jul 25, 2022
cry

1 Like

Re: Hypertensive Man Dies As Bribe-Chasing Lastmamen Seize Vehicle by Realists(m): 2:41pm On Jul 25, 2022
RIP, but it's a fact that corrupt has been institutionalized by the civil & public servants. We all need to repent & seek God, forgiveness.
Re: Hypertensive Man Dies As Bribe-Chasing Lastmamen Seize Vehicle by Karlovich: 2:41pm On Jul 25, 2022
embarassed Tinubu's urchins have struck again! This is what he plans for the entire country. He will erect toll gates across the country and install his urchins at every post but he must fail next year, spits.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hypertensive Man Dies As Bribe-Chasing Lastmamen Seize Vehicle by Eleyi1: 2:42pm On Jul 25, 2022
Eleyi don kill people’s breadwinner, how the bread won take reach everywhere now?
Re: Hypertensive Man Dies As Bribe-Chasing Lastmamen Seize Vehicle by sylve11: 2:42pm On Jul 25, 2022
This Lastma of a thing is not important to Lagos roads. They do nothing but wreak havoc on motorists. embarassed cool

11 Likes

Re: Hypertensive Man Dies As Bribe-Chasing Lastmamen Seize Vehicle by Brendaniel: 2:42pm On Jul 25, 2022
Tinubu's Legacy, now he wants to replicate the same all over Nigeria, God forbid!

We need leaders with human Sympathy - OBIDATTI2023

14 Likes

Re: Hypertensive Man Dies As Bribe-Chasing Lastmamen Seize Vehicle by chatinent: 2:42pm On Jul 25, 2022
Tinubu
Re: Hypertensive Man Dies As Bribe-Chasing Lastmamen Seize Vehicle by meobizy(f): 2:43pm On Jul 25, 2022
Do a few push-ups, they will never listen. See where a life of sloth led him.

Instantly, my dad suffered a shock and collapsed.
If they didn’t care to run the needed procedure in the hospital they were in then it wasn’t an emergency to begin with. I’ve never heard of a fracture victim having to wait in one hospital because another institution could handle the situation better.

1 Like

Re: Hypertensive Man Dies As Bribe-Chasing Lastmamen Seize Vehicle by englishmart(m): 2:43pm On Jul 25, 2022
* Eh Help, help me, e dey Carri me dey go where I no know "

1 Like

Re: Hypertensive Man Dies As Bribe-Chasing Lastmamen Seize Vehicle by moscobabs(m): 2:43pm On Jul 25, 2022
Antoeni:
d

1 Like

Re: Hypertensive Man Dies As Bribe-Chasing Lastmamen Seize Vehicle by Tecnophone: 2:43pm On Jul 25, 2022
Ok
Re: Hypertensive Man Dies As Bribe-Chasing Lastmamen Seize Vehicle by Gangster1ms: 2:44pm On Jul 25, 2022
If he's APC apologist, no pity
Re: Hypertensive Man Dies As Bribe-Chasing Lastmamen Seize Vehicle by seanwilliam(m): 2:44pm On Jul 25, 2022
The LASTMA needs 600 years sentence

2 Likes

Re: Hypertensive Man Dies As Bribe-Chasing Lastmamen Seize Vehicle by atobs4real(m): 2:44pm On Jul 25, 2022
Killer LASTMAN.
KEEP IT UP TILL YOU MEET UR WATER LOO

2 Likes

Re: Hypertensive Man Dies As Bribe-Chasing Lastmamen Seize Vehicle by adioolayi(m): 2:45pm On Jul 25, 2022
So sad...God rest his soul

1 Like

Re: Hypertensive Man Dies As Bribe-Chasing Lastmamen Seize Vehicle by Konjiboii: 2:45pm On Jul 25, 2022
Useless set of hoodlums, very corrupt idiots

1 Like

Re: Hypertensive Man Dies As Bribe-Chasing Lastmamen Seize Vehicle by Akwamkpuruamu: 2:46pm On Jul 25, 2022
Tinubu legacies

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dickson Calls For Cancellation Of Election In Nembe, Southern Ijaw / 2023: Nnamani, Chime To Lead Campaign For Tinubu In Enugu / NBA Conference: Shettima Dressed Shabbily To Distract Nigerians – Omokri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.