Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,189 members, 7,829,259 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:54 PM

Throwback: We Were Saints Compared To Today’s Level Of Corruption — IBB - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Throwback: We Were Saints Compared To Today’s Level Of Corruption — IBB (830 Views)

"God Is Not Man" — Doyin Okupe Reacts To Today's Court Ruling / Corruption: We Were Saints Compared To Today’s Politicians ― IBB / Solomon Dalung Wears Super Eagles Jersey To Today's FEC Meeting (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Throwback: We Were Saints Compared To Today’s Level Of Corruption — IBB by kanupapilo: 5:02pm On Jul 25, 2022
Former Military President, General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida, IBB, (rtd) has said that compared to the current level of corruption in Nigeria, they were saints during his military regime.

Babangida spoke in an interview with Trust TV monitored by Vanguard on Sunday.

He said, “I sacked a governor for misappropriating N300,000. Now there are people — we read in the papers, thank God there are papers to read and social media and so on— who steal N2 billion, N3 billion and nobody is saying they are corrupt; only us because we are military, that is all.

ADVERTISING

READ ALSO: Battle during civil war was fiercest in Enugu before we captured it —IBB
“I still maintain that we are saints if you compare somebody who is accused of stealing N3 billion to one with N300,000; then I think we are saints.”

On why the battle against corruption was so difficult, he said: “I sold an idea but because it came from me, nobody likes it, nobody will like to hear it:

“Identify areas of corruption and attack them from the source. I read in one of the newspapers where a judge was complaining that they are not well remunerated by the public and that is a sure source of corruption.

“Wherever you have a system where you have a lot of control there will be corruption.

“So what did we try to do? We got government not to be involved in things like production.

“Anything to do with ‘I have to come to you and you will always think you are doing me a favour, so maybe I should reciprocate it’; that is the sort of thing.

“And that is why we introduced freeing the economy; you don’t need a licence to be graded Grade A; your groundnut or cocoa or cotton or whatever it is.

“You don’t need to go to the Central Bank or to go to banks to get foreign exchange.

“There are Bureaux de Change. They set it up in market areas, where you can easily go and get it.

“So the sources of corruption has to be identified and attacked,” he said.

The Minna-born General recalled that his economic policy of liberalisation and government stepping back from the economy were emulated by Yar’Adua and Obasanjo.

He said they did and the current regime was also doing it even though in a different name, “but it is all the same concept,” he noted.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/01/we-were-saints-compared-to-todays-level-of-corruption-ibb/

1 Like

Re: Throwback: We Were Saints Compared To Today’s Level Of Corruption — IBB by LogicBomb8: 5:07pm On Jul 25, 2022
Are you oldies jealous of corruption v2.0?

2 Likes

Re: Throwback: We Were Saints Compared To Today’s Level Of Corruption — IBB by Blackfire(m): 5:09pm On Jul 25, 2022
All politicians from the South are corrupt

North 2023
Re: Throwback: We Were Saints Compared To Today’s Level Of Corruption — IBB by Nobody: 5:12pm On Jul 25, 2022
Blackfire:

North 2023

Hahah
North grin
Problem
Re: Throwback: We Were Saints Compared To Today’s Level Of Corruption — IBB by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jul 25, 2022
Nigeria as a whole is corrupt her self

2 Likes

Re: Throwback: We Were Saints Compared To Today’s Level Of Corruption — IBB by kanupapilo: 5:13pm On Jul 25, 2022
LogicBomb8:
Are you oldies jealous of corruption v2.0?

1 Like

Re: Throwback: We Were Saints Compared To Today’s Level Of Corruption — IBB by kanupapilo: 5:14pm On Jul 25, 2022
Blackfire:

North 2023

Re: Throwback: We Were Saints Compared To Today’s Level Of Corruption — IBB by Mariangeles(f): 5:14pm On Jul 25, 2022
From what I read, YOU set the pace for corruption in Nigeria sir.

If corruption is not tackled, today's politicians will call themselves "saints" compared to future politicians.
Re: Throwback: We Were Saints Compared To Today’s Level Of Corruption — IBB by tommy589(m): 5:14pm On Jul 25, 2022
Coming from the man who institutionalised corruption

Corruption was child's play when these gangsters sacked the Second Republic. Unemployment,broken infrastructures, japa,small girl big God etc. any bad stuffs Nigerians are facing itoday comes from him.

He introduced SAP, borrowed from IMF and devalued Naira

1 Like

Re: Throwback: We Were Saints Compared To Today’s Level Of Corruption — IBB by kanupapilo: 5:14pm On Jul 25, 2022
Frontpage Lasticlala,Mynd44, Dominique, Seun
Re: Throwback: We Were Saints Compared To Today’s Level Of Corruption — IBB by kanupapilo: 5:16pm On Jul 25, 2022
tommy589:
Coming from the man who institutionalised corruption

What do you think is the ratio stolen between military and civilian rule- I think about 60:40 in favour of civilian rule. IBB contributed about $12 billion dollars of this figure, he tried.

Re: Throwback: We Were Saints Compared To Today’s Level Of Corruption — IBB by kanupapilo: 5:24pm On Jul 25, 2022
darling2222:
Nigeria as a whole is corrupt her self
Since 1960, even before independence self.
Re: Throwback: We Were Saints Compared To Today’s Level Of Corruption — IBB by SpecialAdviser(m): 5:25pm On Jul 25, 2022
grin grin grin grin grin cheesy

When you dress naked in public, even Ashawo can advice you on sanity.

Big shame to Buhari and APC.
grin grin grin grin grin

I pity Nigerians supporting Tinubu. Misery awaits them.
Re: Throwback: We Were Saints Compared To Today’s Level Of Corruption — IBB by Aidejay(m): 5:30pm On Jul 25, 2022
grin wahala dey!!!!
Even IBB Is Shouting He Fought Corruption grin
This Country Is Too Funny.
Everybody Fought Corruption But Abeg Why Is The Country Still Corrupt As Hell.

Re: Throwback: We Were Saints Compared To Today’s Level Of Corruption — IBB by kanupapilo: 5:33pm On Jul 25, 2022
Aidejay:
grin wahala dey!!!!

Even IBB Is Shouting He Fought Corruption grin

This Country Is Too Funny.

Everybody Fought Corruption But Abeg Why Is The Country Still Corrupt As Hell.
See JAMB question

Re: Throwback: We Were Saints Compared To Today’s Level Of Corruption — IBB by Nobody: 5:59pm On Jul 25, 2022
kanupapilo:

Since 1960, even before independence self.

Yes
Re: Throwback: We Were Saints Compared To Today’s Level Of Corruption — IBB by swaggerjack: 6:01pm On Jul 25, 2022
Re: Throwback: We Were Saints Compared To Today’s Level Of Corruption — IBB by tommy589(m): 6:09pm On Jul 25, 2022
kanupapilo:

What do you think is the ratio stolen between military and civilian rule- I think about 60:40 in favour of civilian rule. IBB contributed about $12 billion dollars of this figure, he tried.

It has been stealing galore since 1999.It used to be 10% kickbacks pre Babangida,but his 8yrs rule gave public officers the confidence to steal openly without fears of sanctions
Re: Throwback: We Were Saints Compared To Today’s Level Of Corruption — IBB by Goddey18(m): 6:10pm On Jul 25, 2022
Buhari has elevated corruption to a new height. Now, politicians are not the only ones stealing, even public servant are not left out.

1 Like

Re: Throwback: We Were Saints Compared To Today’s Level Of Corruption — IBB by swaggerjack: 6:24pm On Jul 25, 2022
Goddey18:
Buhari has elevated corruption to a new height. Now, politicians are not the only ones stealing, even public servant are not left out.
Free for all looting and even borrowing more to loot.

Re: Throwback: We Were Saints Compared To Today’s Level Of Corruption — IBB by Bizibi(m): 6:55pm On Jul 25, 2022
Today's stealing is above 100 million dollars.....it keeps getting higher and higher.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Throwback: We Were Saints Compared To Today’s Level Of Corruption — IBB by kanupapilo: 4:57am On Jul 26, 2022
Bizibi:
Today's stealing is above 100 million dollars.....it keeps getting higher and higher.

Look how much the Accountant General of the federation recently looted. There are no controls in place to check looting.
Re: Throwback: We Were Saints Compared To Today’s Level Of Corruption — IBB by Obidient4life2: 5:19am On Jul 26, 2022
300,000 then is equivalent to almost 3billion now oo.
I dey go school with 50kobo and still buy MOI moi and waterproof ice cream in my primary school days.

I dey buy full frozen chicken 3naira for my dad back then.

Let's do the maths by linear interpolation.
Full chicken of the size I am talking about is 7000naira now. 7000÷3=2333.
300,000 X 2333= 700,000,000.

Okay, you guys are truly less corruption. But the difference no much.
Re: Throwback: We Were Saints Compared To Today’s Level Of Corruption — IBB by orisa37: 6:19am On Jul 26, 2022
YES. YOU ARE RIGHT. YOU WERE NATIONALISTS AND PATRIOTS.

NOW WE HAVE TERRORISTS AND INVADERS FROM FUTA DJALON SCHEMING TO LIQUIDATE NAIRA FOR DOLLAR.

UP TILL NOW, THEY STILL HAVEN'T KNOWN WHATEVER IT IS THAT THEY'RE DOING.

YOU, ABDULSALAMI ABUBARKA AND OBASANJO ARE THE CONSCIENCE OF NIGERIA.

GOD BLESS U.
Re: Throwback: We Were Saints Compared To Today’s Level Of Corruption — IBB by sweetonugbu: 6:35am On Jul 26, 2022
True
Re: Throwback: We Were Saints Compared To Today’s Level Of Corruption — IBB by Lanretoye(m): 6:55am On Jul 26, 2022
I see some points towards the end of his submission,government control should be reduced but attempt by the government to tax every thing is aiding corrupt and sharp practices.
Re: Throwback: We Were Saints Compared To Today’s Level Of Corruption — IBB by Christistruth00: 6:59am On Jul 26, 2022
No you were not Babangida

You laid the Foundation for Today’s Corruption

Were People such as Gov Orji Kalu Of Abia and Bagudu Of Kebbi not your Trained Apprentices?

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/530083-exclusive-the-men-who-helped-abacha-launder-23-million-recently-recovered-by-uk-govt.html

(1) (Reply)

PDP: Wike Demands Ayu’s Removal, Single Term For Atiku, Bot Meets Tomorrow / IPOB Took Over Streets In South East To Warn People Not To Vote OR..[VIDEO] / The Complexity And Simplicity Of The BAT Campaigns Meets REALITY

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.