Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,472 members, 7,830,377 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:39 PM

Did You Learn About Dinosaurs And The "ice Age" In School? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Did You Learn About Dinosaurs And The "ice Age" In School? (704 Views)

Help! Her Academic Guardian Is Advising Her To Change Her Real Age In UTME Reg / 4 Strategies For Remembering Everything You Learn / Nigeria To Include ICT In School Curricular (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did You Learn About Dinosaurs And The "ice Age" In School? by Nobody: 11:21am On Jul 31, 2011
How much were you taught about the history of the world in school?

Were dinosaurs or the "Ice Age" ever covered in a lesson during your schooling years?
If so, can you recall how and when this was done?
Re: Did You Learn About Dinosaurs And The "ice Age" In School? by Misterpaul(m): 12:30pm On Jul 31, 2011
I doubt if my teachers even knew what Dinosaurs were, not to talk of teaching us about them,
Re: Did You Learn About Dinosaurs And The "ice Age" In School? by Nobody: 1:02pm On Jul 31, 2011
Misterpaul:

I doubt if my teachers even knew what Dinosaurs were, not to talk of teaching us about them, 

You think that's the reason?

I find it odd, looking back now, that a nation whose major source of earnings is derived from the export of crude oil has nothing in its schools curriculum which covers one possible origin of fossil fuels.
Re: Did You Learn About Dinosaurs And The "ice Age" In School? by Nobody: 7:15am On Aug 01, 2011
Some more info on this subject ---

Is it really true that the Ice Age triggered teenage behaviour?

Incredible as it may seem this actually makes sense. Before the last Ice Age, humanity enjoyed about a million years of stable climate. All children had to do to survive was copy what their parents, grandparents and great-grandparents going back over at least 100,000 generations, had done. The Ice Age about 50-100,000 years ago changed all that. Children were faced with the challenge that, for them to survive, they had to stop copying their parents and develop more skills. Of course the Ice Age was not a simple one-off event – it lasted about 50,000 years and its effects fluctuated widely from place to place. But as our ancestors began – ever so slowly – to learn how to adapt old skills to new situations, so their innovations prompted what archaeologists call ‘The Great Leap Forward’, the invention of tools, art, religion, language and laws – in effect the creation of Post-Stone Age society.

More information

Tattersall I. (1998) Becoming Human: Evolution and human uniqueness, Harcourt, Brace and Company. Wills C. (1994) The Runaway Brain: The evolution of Human Uniqueness, Harpers Collins. Diamond J. (2005) Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed, Viking. Wells S. (2002) The Journey of Man: A genetic Odyssey, Random House. Bogin, B. (2001) The Growth of Humanity, Wiley-LISS
http://www.born-to-learn.org/faqs/#209
Re: Did You Learn About Dinosaurs And The "ice Age" In School? by Nobody: 7:19am On Aug 01, 2011
Still on the ice age,

Are we really all descended from just a small group of people who left East Africa?

Yes. Evolutionary geneticists are able to actually trace our DNA back through the generations, and what they’ve found is that even though there were probably several millions of proto-humans scattered around the Asian heartlands before the Ice Age, we’re actually all descended from a tiny group of only a hundred or so breeding couples.

This group was apparently squeezed by a genetic bottleneck somewhere in East Africa. Stuck between the ice-bound mountains of Ethiopia and the tundra which extended over today’s savannah, they were faced with imminent starvation unless they could find a sense of escape. Just a few of them apparently turned to the sea. Here it seems was the ultimate challenge to our Stone Age ancestors: either hunker down in the freezing caves or take a risk and see if a raft could take you to a more congenial climate across the sea.

More information

Newsweek (March 19th 2007) – The Evolution Revolution, The National Geographic (March 2006) – The greatest journey ever told and Spencer Wells (2003) – The Journey of Man: A Genetic Odyssey Wells, S (2010) Pandora’s Seed: The unforeseen cost of civilisation
Re: Did You Learn About Dinosaurs And The "ice Age" In School? by Misterpaul(m): 8:29am On Aug 01, 2011
Interesting!.I think i need to do more research on this subject,

(1) (Reply)

Unizik Admission List Is Out / Ahmedu Bello University, Zaria / Part Time Form

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.