Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,847 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:08 PM

Tobi Amusan: Nigeria’s ‘almost Girl’ Who Now Rules The World - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Tobi Amusan: Nigeria’s ‘almost Girl’ Who Now Rules The World (277 Views)

Nigeria's Tobi Amusan Broke The World Record Twice In One Night / Tobi Amusan Breaks 100M Hurdles World Record / Olympics: Tobi Amusan Qualifies For Semi-Final In Women’s 100m Hurdles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Tobi Amusan: Nigeria’s ‘almost Girl’ Who Now Rules The World by adejo007(m): 8:58am On Jul 26, 2022
On November 8, 2016, at about 7 a.m Texas time, Oluwatobiloba Amusan wrote on Twitter, “Unknown now, but I will be UNFORGETTABLE … I will Persist until I SUCCEED ….”

In 2017, Amusan told Making of Champions, “at this moment, Kendra [Harrison] owns the record and I don’t have any but she doesn’t have two heads. It will be good for me to run a PR or break the world record if she is not careful–just kidding…”

In 2020, Amusan mused on Twitter, “My coach taught me that when I walk into a room full of my rivals to look like I own the damn world record. She always reminds me that I’ve practiced hard to trust myself and translate that aggressiveness onto the track.”

Two years later, there is no kidding about the fact that Amusan is a world champion and a record breaker. If not for a tailwind of 2.5m/s, we would talk about a historical event that may never be replicated. One thing that comes through is that Amusan always believed she could become the best in the world in the 100m Hurdles, and eventually, her belief became a fact.

Amusan became Nigeria’s first-ever world champion and a world record holder in athletics on July 25 at the Hayward Field in Eugene, Oregon, smashing the former record held by Jasmine Camacho-Quinn.

It is not surprising that one of the trending searches throughout Monday was ‘who is Tobi Amusan’?

(1) (Reply)

Today's Free Guaranteed Game To Play / Premier League Players To Limit Taking A Knee / Two Confirmed Deals, Arsenal Interested In Shakhtar Donetsk Talented

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.