Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,394 members, 7,815,844 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:20 PM

Fresh OS Installation After Buying A Used Laptop/desktop - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Fresh OS Installation After Buying A Used Laptop/desktop (1254 Views)

Buy Brand New Laptop, Desktop And IT Accessories In Nsukka / Fix Your Computer For A Token - Know Prices +more Laptop /desktop/notebook / Have a Laptop/desktop/printer problem?? Bring Am Come Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fresh OS Installation After Buying A Used Laptop/desktop by truthCoder: 11:26pm On Jul 29, 2022
I have noticed that many people who buy used laptops just go ahead to start using the said laptop after purchase.

The best some others do is to update the system software on the laptop then start downloading softwares and inputting passwords.

I think this approach is very wrong, dangerous and must be stopped. I would detail my reasons below.

ORIGIN
Most "UK Used" or "US Imported" laptops and phones actually do not come from either the US or UK to Nigeria. They mainly come from China after they are refurbished, sold to wholesale dealers in UAE then shipped down to Nigeria.

THE DANGER

China is currently one of the hottest hubs of cyber spying and covert hacking in the world. Chinese companies have been caught severally adding trojans (both hardware and software) in devices which was one of the reasons Huawei had a fallout with the US Government.

Most of these US or UK Used devices have softwares preloaded from China before being sold. The potential and possibility of a nefarious wholesale and government sponsored effort to include spyware into devices destined for other countries is very high.

These spyware would be baked into the cracked softwares and would never be detectable by an anti-virus because of the privileges granted to it a the root level.

MASS EFFECT

While some few security conscious individuals would do a clean installation of their newly purchased used device, a greater number of the buyers do not even know how to do a re-install and would therefore just use it as-is.

SOLUTION
Once you buy a used device, it is advisable to do a completely fresh installation using software you are sure of the source.

Windows 10 iso is freely downloadable (5gb) from Microsoft while All Mac OS are free to use and available (Sizes ranging from 4gb in Mountain Lion to 12.4gb in Monterey).

The cost of data to get a fresh OS and do a fresh install that wipes all potential spyware is minimal compared to the risks.

If you don't know how to do a fresh install, tell the seller to do a fresh install for you and confirm it is done. You can also get someone who is savvy to assist you.

Don't put your details on a system you have not cleaned out.

Cheers

4 Likes

Re: Fresh OS Installation After Buying A Used Laptop/desktop by Brainmytool: 11:32pm On Jul 29, 2022
This is highly insightful and informative.
Thanks Op

1 Like

Re: Fresh OS Installation After Buying A Used Laptop/desktop by truthCoder: 9:42am On Jul 30, 2022
Brainmytool:
This is highly insightful and informative.

Thanks Op

smiley
Re: Fresh OS Installation After Buying A Used Laptop/desktop by dxdiag(m): 1:12pm On Jul 30, 2022
All correct
Re: Fresh OS Installation After Buying A Used Laptop/desktop by Nwaotu10(m): 7:18pm On Jul 30, 2022
THANKS, MANNY. smiley
Re: Fresh OS Installation After Buying A Used Laptop/desktop by GloriousGbola: 12:38pm On Sep 28, 2022
truthCoder:
I have noticed that many people who buy used laptops just go ahead to start using the said laptop after purchase.

The best some others do is to update the system software on the laptop then start downloading softwares and inputting passwords.

I think this approach is very wrong, dangerous and must be stopped. I would detail my reasons below.

ORIGIN
Most "UK Used" or "US Imported" laptops and phones actually do not come from either the US or UK to Nigeria. They mainly come from China after they are refurbished, sold to wholesale dealers in UAE then shipped down to Nigeria.

THE DANGER

China is currently one of the hottest hubs of cyber spying and covert hacking in the world. Chinese companies have been caught severally adding trojans (both hardware and software) in devices which was one of the reasons Huawei had a fallout with the US Government.

Most of these US or UK Used devices have softwares preloaded from China before being sold. The potential and possibility of a nefarious wholesale and government sponsored effort to include spyware into devices destined for other countries is very high.

These spyware would be baked into the cracked softwares and would never be detectable by an anti-virus because of the privileges granted to it a the root level.

MASS EFFECT

While some few security conscious individuals would do a clean installation of their newly purchased used device, a greater number of the buyers do not even know how to do a re-install and would therefore just use it as-is.

SOLUTION
Once you buy a used device, it is advisable to do a completely fresh installation using software you are sure of the source.

Windows 10 iso is freely downloadable (5gb) from Microsoft while All Mac OS are free to use and available (Sizes ranging from 4gb in Mountain Lion to 12.4gb in Monterey).

The cost of data to get a fresh OS and do a fresh install that wipes all potential spyware is minimal compared to the risks.

If you don't know how to do a fresh install, tell the seller to do a fresh install for you and confirm it is done. You can also get someone who is savvy to assist you.

Don't put your details on a system you have not cleaned out.

Cheers

unfortunately, it is better you do this yourself, as the seller will probably just install a 'confam cracked version' of windows which comes with all the same spyware problems and which will start throwing activation messages within a month

i will however say that for the average use, i think the issue of spyware is overblown - wetin dey my hand that foreign govt wan look at?

your real worry - is what you stated earlier - huawei and zte modems are the default in nigeria - so they are already spying on us and harvesting data - and EVERYONE is using them. if tomorrow your firm is competing with seplat [owned by china] for contract, you may just be wondering they are one step ahead of you. ditto for julius berger and rcc vs ccecc.
Re: Fresh OS Installation After Buying A Used Laptop/desktop by udemzyudex(m): 3:33pm On Sep 28, 2022
GloriousGbola:

unfortunately, it is better you do this yourself, as the seller will probably just install a 'confam cracked version' of windows which comes with all the same spyware problems and which will start throwing activation messages within a month

i will however say that for the average use, i think the issue of spyware is overblown - wetin dey my hand that foreign govt wan look at?

your real worry - is what you stated earlier - huawei and zte modems are the default in nigeria - so they are already spying on us and harvesting data - and EVERYONE is using them. if tomorrow your firm is competing with seplat [owned by china] for contract, you may just be wondering they are one step ahead of you. ditto for julius berger and rcc vs ccecc.

How many people can afford to get an original Windows OS?
Re: Fresh OS Installation After Buying A Used Laptop/desktop by GloriousGbola: 3:37pm On Sep 28, 2022
udemzyudex:

How many people can afford to get an original Windows OS?

Any oem laptop or pc already comes with a Windows license embedded in the bios

Windows 10/11 will activate with Windows 7, 8, 10 keys

Unless you are building a pc from scratch, they always have their license

On more than one occasion I have used license extraction tools to get the device windows key and fix the activation errors

That is the absurdity and another reason I have very little regard for pc village 'engineers'. Giving a cracked windows license (that will require 'servicing' when the device has a legit one

Is it incompetence or hustling?

1 Like

Re: Fresh OS Installation After Buying A Used Laptop/desktop by udemzyudex(m): 6:00pm On Sep 28, 2022
GloriousGbola:

Any oem laptop or pc already comes with a Windows license embedded in the bios

Windows 10/11 will activate with Windows 7, 8, 10 keys

Unless you are building a pc from scratch, they always have their license

On more than one occasion I have used license extraction tools to get the device windows key and fix the activation errors

That is the absurdity and another reason I have very little regard for pc village 'engineers'. Giving a cracked windows license (that will require 'servicing' when the device has a legit one

Is it incompetence or hustling?

Re: Fresh OS Installation After Buying A Used Laptop/desktop by GloriousGbola: 6:09pm On Sep 28, 2022
udemzyudex:

I ask a simple question and you're talking about PC coming with already coming with windows licence.

How many Nigerians can afford to buy a new laptop?
According to the article the OP was not talking about new laptop because new ones come with license.

Let's leave that aside, How much does an Original window operating license cost?

Is it someone that buying a laptop of #50k or looking for a cheap laptop to buy that will decide to spend over #20k to buy an original OS?

Whatever issue you have with PC village engineers is your personal business,I have nothing to do with that.

Maybe you do not understand so I will spell it out

From the factory a laptop, be it hp, Asus, dell, lenovo has a Windows license embedded in its motherboard.

The license may be windows home or pro. If it is a basic or gaming laptop, Windows home. If it is a workstation or business laptop, Windows pro

It does not matter if the laptop is 2022 or 2010.

An embedded windows 7 key will activate Windows 10 or 11.

When installing, ensure you use an all.edition iso or USB, and the right version will install and activate automatically.

It is unfortunate that you are ignorant of this very simple fact and continue to talk nonsense about how much a Windows license costs.

Most of the time, the people in pc village are as ignorant as you, or just dubious and so they install windows and run kms activators because like you they know nothing.

This is however easily corrected by getting the embedded windows key from the system via a script or a tool, after which it can be properly activated

If you have reading comprehension problems or you are a half educated computer user, stop quoting me and go and waste your money and time on unnecessary kms activations, while falling over the brilliance of the 'engineer'

1 Like

Re: Fresh OS Installation After Buying A Used Laptop/desktop by udemzyudex(m): 6:51pm On Sep 28, 2022
GloriousGbola:

Maybe you do not understand so I will spell it out

From the factory a laptop, be it hp, Asus, dell, lenovo has a Windows license embedded in its motherboard.

The license may be windows home or pro. If it is a basic or gaming laptop, Windows home. If it is a workstation or business laptop, Windows pro

It does not matter if the laptop is 2022 or 2010.

An embedded windows 7 key will activate Windows 10 or 11.

When installing, ensure you use an all.edition iso or USB, and the right version will install and activate automatically.

It is unfortunate that you are ignorant of this very simple fact and continue to talk nonsense about how much a Windows license costs.

Most of the time, the people in pc village are as ignorant as you, or just dubious and so they install windows and run kms activators because like you they know nothing.

This is however easily corrected by getting the embedded windows key from the system via a script or a tool, after which it can be properly activated

If you have reading comprehension problems or you are a half educated computer user, stop quoting me and go and waste your money and time on unnecessary kms activations, while falling over the brilliance of the 'engineer'

You're not saying anything new here,in fact it will activate if you install back the original operating system that comes with the laptop but you're babbling because you don't know that choice also play a very important roles here.

When you decide to install a pro version in a home edition will the license work with it?

Now if you don't have an original key and client is not willing to pay after the upgrade what other options do you go for?

Most of these entry level laptop comes with freeDOS operating system,how do you go about that?
And saying a window 7 key will activate windows 10 whether 2022 or 2010, can you use a Windows 7 home key to activate a Window 10 pro ?

Laptop come into this country in different conditions,how do you activate an Original laptop with freeDOS?

Like I said I don't know whatever issues you have with PC village engineers but I can assure you that in my expertise as a chip level engineer you can't come close to what I know.

Installing operating system or building PC (desktop) by just connecting components might be your greatest achievement,well that's good for you.

Like i said as a chip level engineer,I can't bet that you can't stand me in my field.

I'm not one of those that only deal on installing softwares like you do.
Re: Fresh OS Installation After Buying A Used Laptop/desktop by GloriousGbola: 7:23pm On Sep 28, 2022
udemzyudex:

You're not saying anything new here,in fact it will activate if you install back the original operating system that comes with the laptop but you're babbling because you don't know that choice also play a very important roles here.

you know nothing, and you keep falling over yourself to highlight your cavernous level of ignorance

When you decide to install a pro version in a home edition will the license work with it?

this incidentally, is the foolishness that happened during the time of windows 7. there were 6 or 7 editions -starter, home , home basic, home premium, pro, ultimate. arrogantly ignorant people like you - with the aim of 'helping' would install windows 7 ultimate on a netbook designed for windows 7 starter. let me dumb it down for you, since you obviously know nothing, even though you keep trying to pretend to be some sort of expert - installing windows 7 ultimate on a netbook is like using a keke napep to carry a geepee tank full of water. but this is what simplemeinded neophytes like you think is intelligent or smart - installing a higher level of an os on hardware not designed for it.

this is also why we then hear talk like, this OS is rubbish, it is slow - when all that happened is someone decided to force the os on unsuitable hardware

Now if you don't have an original key and client is not willing to pay after the upgrade what other options do you go for?
are you illiterate? or are you just trying to get me to tell you what to do? simply ask . i know your generation is known for being lazy with a shoort attention span, it is easier than this pathetic pretense of being an expert.

Like I said I don't know whatever issues you have with PC village engineers but I can assure you that in my expertise as a chip level engineer you can't come close to what I know.

chip level engineer cheesy cheesy cheesy

one of those clowns who will open a laptop, steal the ram, steal the wifi card, break the keyboard, then tell you you need to buy a new motherboard. i know your kind well. the incompetent equivalent of our mechanics. a clown like you broke one of my thinkpads. one of the simplest devices in the world to open. i had to buy a new keyboard for it - only to find the 'chip level engineer' had also fked the bios, so some keys would simply not work

Installing operating system or building PC (desktop) by just connecting components might be your greatest achievement,well that's good for you.

Like i said as a chip level engineer,I can't bet that you can't stand me in my field.

small child - i do not deal in installing software. i maintain my own pcs by myself. and i provide tech support for family and friends.

instead of your empty bragging, go to google. the internet is full of actual and real experts who , not trial and error learn by rote illiterates - who will give extensive guides on recovering the windows product key

but that is not your way - as a 'chip engineer' you have to charge 5k every month to 'renew activation' - how else will you eat?

2 Likes

Re: Fresh OS Installation After Buying A Used Laptop/desktop by udemzyudex(m): 7:36pm On Sep 28, 2022
GloriousGbola:

you know nothing, and you keep falling over yourself to highlight your cavernous level of ignorance

this incidentally, is the foolishness that happened during the time of windows 7. there were 6 or 7 editions -starter, home , home basic, home premium, pro, ultimate. arrogantly ignorant people like you - with the aim of 'helping' would install windows 7 ultimate on a netbook designed for windows 7 starter. let me dumb it down for you, since you obviously know nothing, even though you keep trying to pretend to be some sort of expert - installing windows 7 ultimate on a netbook is like using a keke napep to carry a geepee tank full of water. but this is what simplemeinded neophytes like you think is intelligent or smart - installing a higher level of an os on hardware not designed for it.

this is also why we then hear talk like, this OS is rubbish, it is slow - when all that happened is someone decided to force the os on unsuitable hardware

are you illiterate? or are you just trying to get me to tell you what to do? simply ask . i know your generation is known for being lazy with a shoort attention span, it is easier than this pathetic pretense of being an expert.

chip level engineer cheesy cheesy cheesy

one of those clowns who will open a laptop, steal the ram, steal the wifi card, break the keyboard, then tell you you need to buy a new motherboard. i know your kind well. the incompetent equivalent of our mechanics. a clown like you broke one of my thinkpads. one of the simplest devices in the world to open. i had to buy a new keyboard for it - only to find the 'chip level engineer' had also fked the bios, so some keys would simply not work

small child - i do not deal in installing software. i maintain my own pcs by myself. and i provide tech support for family and friends.

instead of your empty bragging, go to google. the internet is full of actual and real experts who , not trial and error learn by rote illiterates - who will give extensive guides on recovering the windows product key

but that is not your way - as a 'chip engineer' you have to charge 5k every month to 'renew activation' - how else will you eat?

As usual you will rant all over the place claiming to be what you are not.

If I should ask you the process involve in powering on your laptop,the one you claim you maintain for your family and friends i bet you don't know jack about it or are your laptop charge or even the states involve before it get to POST I bet you don't know jack.

It's not my fault that you gave your laptop to a quack, if it was that easy for you to do you should have done it yourself in the first place instead of taking it to a so-called engr.

I know your type,I see them everyday,they claim be what they are not, any little thing you them running to the same PC village engr.

The other day one so called computer engineer brought his laptop with a white background issue,he couldn't even disassemble the laptop, I bey he is into tech support like you grin

Clown.

You think I install software or maintain PC which I bet you can't even do because if it was that easy you have taken your laptop to a quack to fix for you in CV in the first place.

Talking about subscription,I sub $97 yearly where I get the required BIOS file for my job and I build also when I have the time from manufacturer website,so whatever you're posting here is nothing new.

It's obvious you know nothing else apart from installing operating system which a secondary school student can do.
Re: Fresh OS Installation After Buying A Used Laptop/desktop by GloriousGbola: 7:40pm On Sep 28, 2022
udemzyudex:

As usual you will rant all over the place claiming to be what you are not.

If I should ask you the process involve in powering on your laptop,the one you claim you maintain for your family and friends i bet you don't know jack about it or are your laptop charge or even the states involve before it get to POST I bet you don't know jack.

It's not my fault that you gave your laptop to a quack, if it was that easy for you to do you should have done it yourself in the first place instead of taking it to a so-called engr.

I know your type,I see them everyday,they claim be what they are not, any little thing you them running to the same PC village engr.

The other day one so called computer engineer brought his laptop with a white background issue,he couldn't even disassemble the laptop, I bey he is into tech support like you grin

Clown.

You think I install software or maintain PC which I bet you can't even do because if it was that easy you have taken your laptop to a quack to fix for you in CV in the first place.

yawn - hopefully you have learned how to properly activate windows.

you can add it to your service charge in future, tongue

and read between the lines. i know you are not particularly smart. when i say i provide tech support for myself and my family, that does not mean i am into tech support. i also do minor repairs on my generator at home - that does not make a generator repairer

if you are unable to comprehend that human beings have the mental capacity to be good at more than one thing, then thats on you. you do come across as a person who is only capable of 'chip engineering and nothing else. tongue

1 Like

Re: Fresh OS Installation After Buying A Used Laptop/desktop by udemzyudex(m): 7:46pm On Sep 28, 2022
GloriousGbola:

yawn - hopefully you have learned how to properly activate windows.

you can add it to your service charge in future, tongue

and read between the lines. i know you are not particularly smart. when i say i provide tech support for myself and my family, that does not mean i am into tech support. i also do minor repairs on my generator at home - that does not make a generator repairer

if you are unable to comprehend that human beings have the mental capacity to be good at more than one thing, then thats on you. you do come across as a person who is only capable of 'chip engineering and nothing else. tongue

Lol

Just look how dumb you are since you provide tech support for yourself and family,why did you had to take your ThinkPad to CV cheesy

Tech support Isonu.
Re: Fresh OS Installation After Buying A Used Laptop/desktop by GloriousGbola: 7:50pm On Sep 28, 2022
udemzyudex:

Lol

Just look how dumb you are since you provide tech support for yourself and family,why did you had to take your ThinkPad to CV cheesy

Tech support Isonu.

i should answer - but you are clearly too slow to understand.

stick to your chip engineering sogbo?

or maybe you can aspire to better things and follow people like louis rossman and tronicsfix to see how its really done - not your rote learning trial by error device destroying incompetence tongue
Re: Fresh OS Installation After Buying A Used Laptop/desktop by udemzyudex(m): 8:04pm On Sep 28, 2022
GloriousGbola:

i should answer - but you are clearly too slow to understand.

stick to your chip engineering sogbo?

or maybe you can aspire to better things and follow people like louis rossman and tronicsfix to see how its really done - not your rote learning trial by error device destroying incompetence tongue

Lol.. so called tech support that took his ThinkPad to another engr .

This Oponu that is not smart also said that installing another window edition will make a laptop slow down forgetting that these different windows editions have different features and comes with different price tag, that's why I asked how many individuals can afford to buy an original operating system in the case of upgrading,this dolt also forget to understand that as time goes by people can decide to use their laptop for a different thing other than what they bought it for especially for those who can't afford to upgrade.

He is here ranting like a tech support engr that he is, without putting a lot of things into consideration, that's why we have crack version of Windows in the first place,some new laptop you buy originally comes with FreeDOS operating system,like he said you can extract the license from the bios,good how then do too extract a window key from an original freeDOS laptop?

You know nothing, apart from chip level repair which I major on,I install POS softwares,CCTV camera, networking and even generator repair you're boasting of.

Like i said earlier it's a waste of time engaging you.
Re: Fresh OS Installation After Buying A Used Laptop/desktop by GloriousGbola: 8:12pm On Sep 28, 2022
udemzyudex:

Lol.. so called tech support that took his ThinkPad to another engr .

This Oponu that is not smart also said that installing another window edition will make a laptop slow down forgetting that these different windows editions have different features and comes with different price tag, that's why I asked how many individuals can afford to buy an original operating system in the case of upgrading,this dolt also forget to understand that as time goes by people can decide to use their laptop for a different thing other than what they bought it for especially for those who can't afford to upgrade.

He is here ranting like a tech support engr that he is, without putting a lot of things into consideration, that's why we have crack version of Windows in the first place,some new laptop you buy originally comes with FreeDOS operating system,like he said you can extract the license from the bios,good how then do too extract a window key from an original freeDOS laptop?

You know nothing, apart from chip level repair which I major on,I install POS softwares,CCTV camera, networking and even generator repair you're boasting of.

Like i said earlier it's a waste of time engaging you.

well, i am a REAL engineer and project manager by training and experience . not a barely educated artisan attaching a title to himself

so simply put - i direct small boys like you. maybe if we need a secondary worker for a home automation project we will call you. assuming you can even read a drawing properly that is. i am just finishing a project with an 'engineer' of your calibre. simple fire alarm layout the man could not read - calling me everyday to disturb me. i literally had to hand hold the 'engineer' through the entire project.
Re: Fresh OS Installation After Buying A Used Laptop/desktop by udemzyudex(m): 8:17pm On Sep 28, 2022
GloriousGbola:

well, i am a REAL engineer and project manager by training and experience . not a barely educated artisan attaching a title to himself

so simply put - i direct small boys like you. maybe if we need a secondary worker for a home automation project we will call you. assuming you can even read a drawing properly that is. i am just finishing a project with an 'engineer' of your calibre. simple fire alarm layout the man could not read - calling me everyday to disturb me. i literally had to hand hold the 'engineer' through the entire project.

Oga you know nothing, lol check the thread on my profile before you post nonsense and thinking you're talking to one of those quack you gave your laptop to.

You direct small boys yet someone spoil your laptop and you were there looking.

Project manager my foot,I know your type,they claim to be expert in a particular field but all they do is get the job and look for those who can get it done, that's why you took your customer ThinkPad to an engr to fix. grin

Tech supporter Isonu.
Re: Fresh OS Installation After Buying A Used Laptop/desktop by GloriousGbola: 4:23am On Sep 29, 2022
for those who have small sense, not some POS repairers, this is how you recover your laptop /pc windows product key

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/easily_retrieve_your_windows_product_key.html
link to a vbs file by majorgeeks

alternatively
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/find-windows-product-key

guide from the windows club
there is no need to let any quacks bamboozle you into buying a license for a device that already has on bundled with it

it is the nigerian way - the ignorance economy

once you have your key, you can properly activate your windows. no need for any kms story

1 Like

Re: Fresh OS Installation After Buying A Used Laptop/desktop by udemzyudex(m): 8:12am On Sep 29, 2022
Lol..I was thinking the dolt will quote me again to post trash.

The so called tech support person didn't state that if your laptop originally comes with windows 7 home and you're upgrading to Windows 10 Pro, there's no way the key will work or your in Windows 10 home key will work for a Windows 10 pro.

This way if you're doing it you will have to get a key,this wannabe be tech support person doesn't know that in other windows edition have different features and to get another edition on your laptop you need a key .

If you're coming from Windows 7 home,you can upgrade to Windows 8.1 home and windows 10 home with the same key but if you're coming from Windows 7, 8, 8.1 ,10 home,you can't use the generated key to activate a Windows 10 Pro,they are different products.

How many people can afford this upgrade, this wannabe tech support personnel even said installing a different edition other from the one that came with it is the reason your PC slow down on the long run,like are you for real? grin grin

These are just edition with different features for God sake, too many dumb people claiming to be what they are not. grin
Re: Fresh OS Installation After Buying A Used Laptop/desktop by truthCoder: 10:54am On Sep 29, 2022
udemzyudex:
Lol..I was thinking the dolt will quote me again to post trash.

The so called tech support person didn't state that if your laptop originally comes with windows 7 home and you're upgrading to Windows 10 Pro, there's no way the key will work or your in Windows 10 home key will work for a Windows 10 pro.

This way if you're doing it you will have to get a key,this wannabe be tech support person doesn't know that in other windows edition have different features and to get another edition on your laptop you need a key .

If you're coming from Windows 7 home,you can upgrade to Windows 8.1 home and windows 10 home with the same key but if you're coming from Windows 7, 8, 8.1 ,10 home,you can't use the generated key to activate a Windows 10 Pro,they are different products.

How many people can afford this upgrade, this wannabe tech support personnel even said installing a different edition other from the one that came with it is the reason your PC slow down on the long run,like are you for real? grin grin

These are just edition with different features for God sake, too many dumb people claiming to be what they are not. grin

So in summary, are you advocating that people should install cracked, spyware-infested softwares?
Re: Fresh OS Installation After Buying A Used Laptop/desktop by truthCoder: 11:26am On Sep 29, 2022
For Linux Installations, confirm if your device has 'Secure Boot' and disable it before a fresh installation. Each device/distribution would be different so use google and get going. If no Secure Boot, installation is as simple as creating the USB installer and following prompts..

For Windows, if you already have a genuine copy of the Windows 10 OS on the device, you can reinstall a fresh copy, following guides given by GloriousGbola above. If you don't have a genuine copy, you can still install but you would not be able to personalise the themes, wallpapers etc. You would also be stuck with the warning shown in the attached image.

For Mac, ensure that your device can install the version of Mac OS you desire. Also check if your device has the T2 chip or not. Finally, ensure that you follow guidelines from Apple discussion forums on your model. You can also get higher OS for lower devices by following guides on Open Core Legacy Patcher.

Mac OS is free of charge, Linux is free of charge. Windows 10 is free to use with limited personalisation options.

For all 3 Oses, ensure you are using genuine copies and not Chinese/Russian cracks.

There is no free crack anywhere. You are paying for it, one way or another.

Re: Fresh OS Installation After Buying A Used Laptop/desktop by udemzyudex(m): 1:37pm On Sep 29, 2022
truthCoder:

So in summary, are you advocating that people should install cracked, spyware-infested softwares?

In summary if you can't afford to get a key,get a crack.

Spyware-infested software? Did you post just to make a point or what?
Do you pay for the all apps you use on your laptop?
All the free apps you install are they free from spyware?

As long you're getting it from a right source then there's no problem.
Re: Fresh OS Installation After Buying A Used Laptop/desktop by truthCoder: 2:47pm On Sep 29, 2022
udemzyudex:

In summary if you can't afford to get a key,get a crack.

Spyware-infested software? Did you post just to make a point or what?
Do you pay for the all apps you use on your laptop?
All the free apps you install are they free from spyware?

As long you're getting it from a right source then there's no problem.

This is the exact mindset that scare the shivers out of me.

Get a crack? Despite legal alternatives existing?

What do you know about trojans, bad middlewares and spywares to offer such an unprofessional opinion?

I dont have a single cracked software on my systems because there are free open-source alternatives in case i need to use the service.

Have you any experience with OS security?

Mention the 'right-source' for cracked softwares.

Do you even know the threat that cracked softwares bring to the table?

You can keep having your pedestrian mindset until the day you start having important files on your systems.
Re: Fresh OS Installation After Buying A Used Laptop/desktop by udemzyudex(m): 3:25pm On Sep 29, 2022
truthCoder:

This is the exact mindset that scare the shivers out of me.

Get a crack? Despite legal alternatives existing?

What do you know about trojans, bad middlewares and spywares to offer such an unprofessional opinion?

I dont have a single cracked software on my systems because there are free open-source alternatives in case i need to use the service.

Have you any experience with OS security?

Mention the 'right-source' for cracked softwares.

Do you even know the threat that cracked softwares bring to the table?

You can keep having your pedestrian mindset until the day you start having important files on your systems.

I asked a simple question, do you pay for all the apps you use on your laptop?

You don't have any crack software in your device but you download from Open source alternative,are this open source free from Trojan or any virus?

Very funny,he used open source alternative to cover up his nonsense and forming what he is not.
There are paid software that are not open source,you have to pay to get it legally or use the paid version,do you then look for an alternative whereas you need that particular one for what you want to do?

You think if it's that easy a many people won't go for an open source alternative like you claim you do?
Re: Fresh OS Installation After Buying A Used Laptop/desktop by GloriousGbola: 5:29pm On Sep 29, 2022
udemzyudex:

You don't have any crack software in your device but you download from Open source alternative,are this open source free from Trojan or any virus?

Very funny,he used open source alternative to cover up his nonsense and forming what he is not.
There are paid software that are not open source,you have to pay to get it legally or use the paid version,do you then look for an alternative whereas you need that particular one for what you want to do?

You think if it's that easy a many people won't go for an open source alternative like you claim you do?

Better stick to your chip flo or whatever you call it. There are free/open source variants for every major app. Gimp, open office, krita. But you continue to show that you complete ignorance.

If they ask you about regional discounts, you go off on another tangent.
Re: Fresh OS Installation After Buying A Used Laptop/desktop by truthCoder: 6:49pm On Sep 29, 2022
udemzyudex:

You cannot hide your ignorance.

Open source softwares have their codes available for open scrutiny. This means you cannot hide a trojan in an open source code and expect people smarter than you not to see it.

With closed source platforms (Adobe, Word etc) you cannot see proprietary codes except you are in-house or use in-house means. With cracked softwares, you are getting proprietary codes that have been modified to the whims of the software cracker. He can decide to add 0, 1 or 100 trojans if he wishes before sealing the box.

It is like a used tech condom from a russian guy and wearing it on your ignorant phallus, sperm and virus et al without even knowing what you are getting.

First, learn what is open source then come back to have conversations on this topic.

It is very clear you are just an HDD swapper with no understanding of how softwares work.

Your comments show how shallow in knowledge you are.

@ GloriousGbola was right about you.
Re: Fresh OS Installation After Buying A Used Laptop/desktop by udemzyudex(m): 6:52pm On Sep 29, 2022
GloriousGbola:

Better stick to your chip flo or whatever you call it. There are free/open source variants for every major app. Gimp, open office, krita. But you continue to show that you complete ignorance.

If they ask you about regional discounts, you go off on another tangent.

You have compression problem,you see the problem with people like you, you just read theory of things like this but don't engage with individuals who need it on a daily basis.

I never disputed the fact that there is no open source alternative apps but what if the person you're dealing with needs that particular app what will you do?

You have someone that want AutoCAD, will you recommend another app? Is AutoCAD an open source software?

It's annoying how one dumb individual will think everyone reason like them, there are some people that you will meet,they tell you I want this or nothing and he or she knows there's a crack version for that product will you insist on them getting an open source alternative?

Too many dumb individuals acting like they know it all. Smh.

It's obvious you just do things like this for personal use and for families that you can easily convince to use what you recommend.

No need engaging you guys.
Re: Fresh OS Installation After Buying A Used Laptop/desktop by udemzyudex(m): 7:00pm On Sep 29, 2022
truthCoder:

You cannot hide your ignorance.

Open source softwares have their codes available for open scrutiny. This means you cannot hide a trojan in an open source code and expect people smarter than you not to see it.

With closed source platforms (Adobe, Word etc) you cannot see proprietary codes except you are in-house or use in-house means. With cracked softwares, you are getting proprietary codes that have been modified to the whims of the software cracker. He can decide to add 0, 1 or 100 trojans if he wishes before sealing the box.

It is like a used tech condom from a russian guy and wearing it on your ignorant phallus, sperm and virus et al without even knowing what you are getting.

First, learn what is open source then come back to have conversations on this topic.

It is very clear you are just an HDD swapper with no understanding of how softwares work.

Your comments show how shallow in knowledge you are.

@ GloriousGbola was right about you.

You see how dumb you are,like I said earlier it's obvious you do these things for personal use,and don't even meet individuals on a daily basis.

It's a waste of time engaging f00ls like you , would an average user who want a particular software go ahead looking for Trojan in an open source software like you stated here?

Well common sense is not common after all.
Re: Fresh OS Installation After Buying A Used Laptop/desktop by truthCoder: 7:16pm On Sep 29, 2022
udemzyudex:

You see how dumb you are,like I said earlier it's obvious you do these things for personal use,and don't even meet individuals on a daily basis.

It's a waste of time engaging f00ls like you , would an average user who want a particular software go ahead looking for Trojan in an open source software like you stated here?

Well common sense is not common after all.

Can you move on already?

This thread is to educate people on the proper way to use softwares.

Recommending cracked softwares is exactly the attitude we want to avoid especially in this period where cyber espionage is at an all time high.

Peoples' details are being sold on the dark web and the simple question that sane people would be asking is....how did they get these data?

If a nefarious individual wants to start a data mining server. What steps would he take? He either sets up a phony VPN, broadcasts cracked softwares, set up free wifi hotspots in public places etc.

There are many ways to harvest.

Your illiterate mash of brain cells would not know this because all you have done is remove HDDs and replace them with SSDs whilst installing one cracked version of Windows all for 5000 naira. You dont know anything about what is in the OS you just installed.

Instead of you to learn, what do you do? You are everywhere shouting 'cracked software is the best'.

How would you feel if your client is building a fintech application with the laptop you just installed an infected software and his tokens which are stored in a file on the laptop is accessed by some north korean boys and they wipe all funds or cryptos?

Do you even know the implication of using such softwares? Do you know you can be jailed for using pirated softwares?

You will open your mouth gbwaaaaaaaa like stapler online and just spew from your shallow well.

Can you just find another thread ? As i said, this is above your capacity.

Nonsense and ingredients.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Neat UK HP Notebook 15 - 8GB RAM, Ryzen, SSD, 2GB Graphics, 12hrs Battery *sold / Super Neat UK Used Acer Aspire 5 - 8GB RAM, SSD, 10th Gen, Backlit, Affordable / Skyping For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 157
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.