Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,485 members, 7,819,761 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:38 PM

Water Bill - Affected Water Bodies - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Water Bill - Affected Water Bodies (217 Views)

Ikpeazu Moves To Criminalise Open Defecation, Signs Into Law Abia Water Bill / State Governors, Others Consulted On Water Bill –FG / Bauchi Residents, Corporate Bodies Owe N1 Billion Water Bill – Official (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Water Bill - Affected Water Bodies by BernhardWanner: 7:34pm On Jul 30, 2022
Water Bill aka RUGA

See attaced map: In the blue areas, Water Bill expropriates.

The new edition of the Water Bill 2022. Seems to be identical in content to the version scuttled in 2020 for the time being. In any case, so far we have only found the 2020 bill:
https://placng.org/i/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Committee-Report-on-the-National-Water-Resources-Bill-2020.pdf.

Starting on page 80 of the PDF, the affected water bodies are listed. However, it is not at all clear which ones are ultimately meant.

A publicly accessible collection of water bodies in Nigera can be downloaded as a dataset, e.g. at diva-gis.org.
With this information (i.e. diva-gis.org dataset and 3 km buffer) I created a first map. See attached. This shows the land effectively expropriated (and thus fulanised) by the Water Bill.

And an ominous 3 km buffer zones around the water bodies was mentioned by ASETU 2020.

Looks like a Pandora's box of worms. Doesn't it? No wonder, that's what the new edition of Ruga disguised as the Water Bill is.

I would like to update the map. For this I occasionally need the answers to the following question:
Which water bodies are exactly meant? The appearance of the map also depends strongly on which rivers, streams are meant. This might go down to rivelets. If so, then everything would already be blue, i.e. expropriated in the south by the Bill.

(1) (Reply)

Islamic Cleric Prays For Terrorists Success In Kidnapping Buhari, Others❗️❗️ / What They Promised And Failed Nigerians / We Dont Need Another Alien As President.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.