Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,560 members, 7,820,025 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:36 AM

All Igbos Enjoyed Free Education Under Tinubu Govt In 1999 -2002 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / All Igbos Enjoyed Free Education Under Tinubu Govt In 1999 -2002 (1201 Views)

Lagos Versus Anambra Under Tinubu And Obi; A Comparative Analysis / Shettima: Tinubu Govt Will Replicate Lagos, Borno Wonders In Nigeria / Exposed: JOE IGBOKWE, A Criminal And Most Wanted By Bakassi Men In 1999-2002 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

All Igbos Enjoyed Free Education Under Tinubu Govt In 1999 -2002 by Biodun556(m): 9:15am On Jul 31, 2022
Irrespective of religion and ethnic affiliation, Tinubu gave free education from primary to tertiary including free waec and neco when he was governor of Lagos state.

Hundreds of thousands of Igbos enjoyed these gestures. I challenge anybody to mention one south east governor with the likes of these to Nigerians in their states.

1 Like

Re: All Igbos Enjoyed Free Education Under Tinubu Govt In 1999 -2002 by Biodun556(m): 9:17am On Jul 31, 2022
grin

Peter Obi is a conservative Igbo. Religious and ethnic bigot
Re: All Igbos Enjoyed Free Education Under Tinubu Govt In 1999 -2002 by galaxy2020(m): 9:21am On Jul 31, 2022
Why did it stop? Taaah!
Re: All Igbos Enjoyed Free Education Under Tinubu Govt In 1999 -2002 by Coly2012(m): 9:33am On Jul 31, 2022
Another idiot done weakup from sleep.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: All Igbos Enjoyed Free Education Under Tinubu Govt In 1999 -2002 by Cypress042(m): 9:34am On Jul 31, 2022
Biodun556:
grin

Shattap, Funny urchin cool

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: All Igbos Enjoyed Free Education Under Tinubu Govt In 1999 -2002 by derecho(m): 9:35am On Jul 31, 2022
All these daft and divisive narratives can't sway votes for Tinubu.

Lagos is a beneficiary of crude oil and proceeds from other regions too.

Finally, Tinubu NEVER offered free education in Lagos. Except you don't know what free education means.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All Igbos Enjoyed Free Education Under Tinubu Govt In 1999 -2002 by McStoic(m): 9:39am On Jul 31, 2022
Biodun556:
Irrespective of religion and ethnic affiliation, Tinubu gave free education from primary to tertiary including free waec and neco when he was governor of Lagos state.

Hundreds of thousands of Igbos enjoyed these gestures. I challenge anybody to mention one south east governor with the likes of these to Nigerians in their states.

Lagos is the former capital of Nigeria. It is built with everyone's money. No state in Nigeria has received and keeps receiving general goodwill and economic patronisation like Lagos via tax et al. So, Lagos hasn't even done anything yet for Nigerians...

7 Likes

Re: All Igbos Enjoyed Free Education Under Tinubu Govt In 1999 -2002 by RZArecta(m): 9:41am On Jul 31, 2022
Did Tinubu forfeit drug funds in America ? Yes or no
Re: All Igbos Enjoyed Free Education Under Tinubu Govt In 1999 -2002 by McStoic(m): 9:41am On Jul 31, 2022
Biodun556:
grin

We have heard that before. Tell us something else..

1 Like

Re: All Igbos Enjoyed Free Education Under Tinubu Govt In 1999 -2002 by Eastlink(m): 9:41am On Jul 31, 2022
OP your title is bleeped. This is tribalism at its peak. Why not use all Lagosians enjoyed free education in Lagos Government schools. Why single out Igbos? Are all Yoruba’s not enjoying free education in other states Government schools? Are indigenous Lagosians not enjoying free education in Government schools in other states? Some of you BATist should change.

For Government free education, those of us in the Jakande schools enjoyed it. We only paid a small levy for school upkeep. I can also say Tinubu made NECO free for those who finished in 2002-2003. Then from 2004 he dropped NECO and made WAEC free. But that was it.

Under Tinubu’s watch, no changes was made to the schools. The schools were an eyesore meant for only the children of the poor. An advanced public toilet, infrastructure decayed, we made chairs by ourselves. In fact we became Carpenters making desk in the schools. The schools had no security and fight was always a norm there. Thuggery dominated the schools. During Principal cup, it was almost a death sentence if go you out on uniform to the Volkswagen football pitch as your school rivals might get you stabbed.

For the WAEC guess what, majority of those who sat for WAEC got F9 parallel. We were told it was because it was state funded that was why there was a consistent mass failure from Lagos state students. Imagine smashing GCE in SS2 only to fail woefully in SS3. In fact it was a norm in the Jakande schools then that when you get to SS3, your parents will change you to private school inorder to pass your WAEC.

However, the coming of Fashola was a blessing in disguise. Fashola brought back the glory of Lagos schools. Although we’ve left by then, but you could see changes. Students no longer had to suffer to manufacture desk themselves as Fashola provided them. Schools got a new face lift, teachers salaries got increased and the Agbero life style that school were known for in the pass got a change and could compete with private school. Fashola practicaly renovated Lagos schools and even built new ones.

Tinubu may not be perfect but I’ll still appreciate him for the one he did. But when it comes to the facelift Lagos enjoyed, that glory should go to Fashola. Had he come out for President, trust me I would have campaigned vigorously for him. But at the moment, I’m Obidient and Useful. grin. Tinubu time is past, if he loves Nigeria, he should support Obi for President.

Modified:

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: All Igbos Enjoyed Free Education Under Tinubu Govt In 1999 -2002 by ElSudani: 9:43am On Jul 31, 2022
derecho:
All these daft and divisive narratives can't sway votes for Tinubu.

Lagos is a beneficiary of crude oil and proceeds from other regions too.

Finally, Tinubu NEVER offered free in Lagos. Except you don't know what education means.

And your state didn't benefit from crude oil proceeds?
Re: All Igbos Enjoyed Free Education Under Tinubu Govt In 1999 -2002 by limeta(f): 9:44am On Jul 31, 2022
Do igbos in Lagos pay taxes if yes then you are very stupid

1 Like

Re: All Igbos Enjoyed Free Education Under Tinubu Govt In 1999 -2002 by inoki247: 9:51am On Jul 31, 2022
McStoic:

Lagos is the former capital of Nigeria. It is built with everyone's money. No state in Nigeria has received and keeps receiving general goodwill and economic patronisation like Lagos via tax et al. So, Lagos hasn't even done anything yet for Nigerians...

You people are just blind during Tinubu Tenure did ObJ give Lagos dere allocation...

Can any state in ur region survive without allocation....

You people will always cry even if Lagos is ban from receiving allocation you people will still cry that's your collective money dey are using to survive....

Like dey are not sending our collective money to ur region apart from your people that stays in ur region aw many outsiders dey stay ur region....
Re: All Igbos Enjoyed Free Education Under Tinubu Govt In 1999 -2002 by Mstick: 9:55am On Jul 31, 2022
Looks like Igbos are the biggest stumbling block to BAT presidency.

I am sure Zac Orji the IPOB man that endorsed him will get APC 3million votes from the SE you guys can rest now.

1 Like

Re: All Igbos Enjoyed Free Education Under Tinubu Govt In 1999 -2002 by 00FFT00(m): 9:58am On Jul 31, 2022
Biodun556:

All Yoruba are still feeding from oil & gas money from under Igbo soil. You people sound really pathetic. Tinubu's desperation is evident.

1 Like

Re: All Igbos Enjoyed Free Education Under Tinubu Govt In 1999 -2002 by nedu666: 9:58am On Jul 31, 2022
Free education where. In run down public schools where there are 100 students in a class or in private schools
Re: All Igbos Enjoyed Free Education Under Tinubu Govt In 1999 -2002 by Mstick: 10:00am On Jul 31, 2022
This is the biggest lie EVER TOLD. Obasanjo didn't deny Lagos it's allocation, Lagos State allocation was paid.

Obasanjo only DENIED paying the LCDA allocation because Tinubu went ahead to create over 24 NEW LCDAS WITHOUT FEDERAL GOVERNMENT APPROVAL!!!!!!!

LAGOS ALLOCATION WAS PAID, LAGOS ILLEGALLY CREATED LCDAS ALLOCATION WASN'T PAID!

LAGOS ALLOCATION WAS PAID, LAGOS ILLEGALLY CREATED LCDAS ALLOCATION WASN'T PAID!

inoki247:

You people are just blind during Tinubu Tenure did ObJ give Lagos dere allocation...

You people will always cry even if Lagos is ban from receiving allocation you people will still cry that's your collective money dey are using to survive....

Like dey are not sending our collective money to ur region apart from your people that stays in ur region aw many outsiders dey stay ur region....

2 Likes

Re: All Igbos Enjoyed Free Education Under Tinubu Govt In 1999 -2002 by ElSudani: 10:00am On Jul 31, 2022
inoki247:

States in Iboland should have half of their Federal allocations sent to Lagos since most of their citizens now live in Lagos. That will be fair. Lagos is buckling under the massive migration from the east.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All Igbos Enjoyed Free Education Under Tinubu Govt In 1999 -2002 by sotall(m): 10:03am On Jul 31, 2022
Eastlink:
For Government free education, those of us in the Jakande schools enjoyed it. We only paid a small levy for school upkeep. I can also say he made NECO free for those who finished in 2002-2003. Then from 2004 he dropped NECO and made WAEC free. But that was it.

Under Tinubu’s watch, no changes was made to the schools. The schools were an eyesore meant for only the children of the poor. An advanced public toilet, infrastructure decayed, we made chairs by ourselves. In fact we became Carpenters making desk in the schools. The schools had no security and fight was always a norm there. Thuggery dominated the schools. During Principal cup, it was almost a death sentence if you out on uniform in the Volkswagen football pitch as your school rivals might get you stabbed.

For the WAEC guess what, majority of those who sat for WAEC got F9 parallel. We were told it was because it was state funded that was why there was a consistent mass failure from Lagos state students. Imagine smashing GCE in SS2 only to fail woefully in SS3. In fact it was a norm in the Jakande schools then that when you get to SS3, your parents will change you to private school inorder to pass your WAEC.

However, the coming of Fashola was a blessing in disguise. Fashola brought back the glory of Lagos schools. Although we’ve left by then, but you could see changes. Students no longer had to suffer to manufacture desk themselves as Fashola provided them. Schools got a new face life, teachers salaries got increased and the Agbero life style that school were known for in the pass got a change and could compete with private school. Fashola practicaly renovated Lagos schools and even built new ones.

Tinubu may not be perfect but I’ll still appreciate him for the one he did. But when it comes to the facelift Lagos enjoyed, that glory should go to Fashola. Had he come out for President, trust me I would have campaigned vigorously for him. But at the moment, I’m Obidient and Useful. grin. Tinubu time is past, if he loves Nigeria, he should support Obi for President.

I can relate with this entirely.

Damn those early 2000s where i had to use all my Mondays putting pieces of wood together in school.

3 Likes

Re: All Igbos Enjoyed Free Education Under Tinubu Govt In 1999 -2002 by McStoic(m): 10:09am On Jul 31, 2022
inoki247:

You only ended up highlighting my points while still trying to gaslight me. Lagos is not like any other state in Nigeria, not even Abuja.

No state has had the kind of concentration of national investment and tax like Lagos. Every state is well represented in Lagos. On top of that, it has exclusive federal presence more than any other State. Make the privilege go round other states first, then you will understand the folly in your comments

1 Like

Re: All Igbos Enjoyed Free Education Under Tinubu Govt In 1999 -2002 by inoki247: 10:14am On Jul 31, 2022
McStoic:

You only ended up highlighting my points while still trying to gaslight me. Lagos is not like any other state in Nigeria, not even Abuja.

No state has had the kind of concentration of national investment and tax like Lagos. Every state is well represented in Lagos. On top of that, it has exclusive federal presence more than any other State. Make the privilege go round other states first, then you will understand the folly in your comments

Stop looking for excuse why your state's failing.. Kaduna as been doing well lately dey even boast without Federal allocation dey can survive...

Can any state in ur region come outside and say such a thing.....

if you've a clueless leader in ur region no mata aw good ur land is u will never get result....

1 Like

Re: All Igbos Enjoyed Free Education Under Tinubu Govt In 1999 -2002 by McStoic(m): 10:18am On Jul 31, 2022
inoki247:

Stop looking for excuse why your state's failing.. Kaduna as been doing well lately dey even boast without Federal allocation dey can survive...

Can any state in ur region come outside and say such a thing.....

if you've a clueless leader in ur region no mata aw good ur land is u will never get result....

Do you know how many federal institutions/presence that are in Kaduna? No go there ooo. Long years of North being in power has done a lot for your region, still you are guys are Nigeria's poverty capital. What does that tell you?

Lol...una dey make me laugh sha. Cos most of you ignoramuses here just argue for the sake of it without visiting South East. A region like Alaigbo faced total destruction for 3 years and rebuilt herself all by herself... Come to the South East and you will see no evidence of a region that fought war. But una dey una bedroom dey talk trash. Let your region face destruction for 3 years first and rebuild without federal presence, we can then argue..

1 Like

Re: All Igbos Enjoyed Free Education Under Tinubu Govt In 1999 -2002 by tommy589(m): 10:26am On Jul 31, 2022
If you are using the yardstick of this 4th Republic,Tinubu is up there. But the worst governor of 2nd Republic is better than Tinubu by miles.

Lagosians should just find out in their LGA the number of new schools built since 1999 and compare to number of schools built by Jakande from 1979 to '80 alone

Atiku,Obi, Tinubu etc are thieves. I wonder why Nigerians still have hope on any of these criminals,instead to mobilise for a new constitution

So Obi and Tinubu would turn a new leaf as President grin when as governors found a way round the constitution to have LG elections fixed,appointed their cronies as LG chairmen for ease of stealing funds and failed to grant LG autonomy, particularly financial autonomy as stipulated in the constitution.

One of the cause of hardship Nigerians are facing is because dividends of democracy is not getting to the grassroots
Re: All Igbos Enjoyed Free Education Under Tinubu Govt In 1999 -2002 by aribisala0(m): 10:28am On Jul 31, 2022
McStoic:

First of all I am not a Tinubu supporter
Secondly Lagos State was not former capital and No it was not built with everyone's money
The colonial records indicate that Lagos City (Not the State) was a NET CONTRIBUTOR
https://www.nairaland.com/4144976/lagos-1898before-nigeria-not-oil/1
In other words Lagos always gave MORE than it received
Go and study the annual colonial reports from the 1890s long before Nigeria was created
Before 1900 there was already a phone link from Lagos to London

This myth that Lagos was somehow developed with funds from outside Lagos is nonsense. Lagos generates more than it gets back

Finally you mention Tax < Can you be specific what you mean. People parrot this nonsense ignorantly all the time. Tell us what tax you are talking about

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: All Igbos Enjoyed Free Education Under Tinubu Govt In 1999 -2002 by McStoic(m): 10:31am On Jul 31, 2022
aribisala0:
Secondly Lagos State was not former capital and No it was not built with everyone's money
The colonial records indicate that Lagos City (Not the State) was a NET CONTRIBUTOR
Go and study the annual colonial reports from the 1890s long before Nigeria was created

This myth that Lagos was somehow developed with funds from outside Lagos is nonsense. Lagos generates more than it gets back

Finally you mention Tax < Can you be specific what you mean. People parrot this nonsense ignorantly all the time. Tell us what tax you are talking about

Lagos was not a former capital?!! Kaiii. So where is Dodan Barracks located? Seems you haven't relocated to Lagos from Osun State before 1991? Sorry, I am arguing with the wrong generation..

1 Like

Re: All Igbos Enjoyed Free Education Under Tinubu Govt In 1999 -2002 by Eastlink(m): 10:35am On Jul 31, 2022
aribisala0:

Oga stop deceiving people. Lagos was former capital. The colonial Lagos stretched from Lekki, Ikoyi, Lagos Island to Apapa, Yaba and stopping at Surulere. The only sections of Lagos that wasn’t part of the colonial Lagos capital were Epe, Ikorodu Ikeja and Badagry divisions.

However, from 1967, Lagos as the federal capital had more adjustment. It saw Awolowo cede Ikeja, Ikorodu, Badagry and Epe divisions to the federal government under Gowon. Ikeja military cantonment was practically the Head of state’s residence. It was Gowon who began the Ikeja airport and development of that axis down to Agege except for the industrial estate that Awolowo built. It was Gowon that began the mass development of the interiors like Badagry, Epe, Ikorodu etc with petrodollar up until IBB.

Ofcourse during the creation of modern Lagos in 1967, Awolowo negotiated a joint rulership of federal and state. While the state retained Ikeja as its capital, the federal government maintained Ikoyi as its capital. But the development was joint. For example, you will see a Brig. Mobalaji Johnson fixing streets in Lagos Island, at the same time you see Gowon constructing Festac and Gowon estate Egbeda. You’ll also see an Ndubuisi Kanu redeveloping the Apapa - Oshodi highway, while Obasanjo constructs the flyovers in Oworonshoki and still build the National threatre.

The 1967 decree that created Lagos gave it a special status and will remain so till date. An asset of joint federal and state. Any wonder why Lagos still enjoys a lot of largesse and federal benefits that others states can get.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All Igbos Enjoyed Free Education Under Tinubu Govt In 1999 -2002 by femisplash: 10:36am On Jul 31, 2022
Mstick:
This is the biggest lie EVER TOLD. Obasanjo didn't deny Lagos it's allocation, Lagos State allocation was paid.

Obasanjo only DENIED paying the LCDA allocation because Tinubu went ahead to create over 24 NEW LCDAS WITHOUT FEDERAL GOVERNMENT APPROVAL!!!!!!!

Screaming at the top of your lungs could rupture your throat in this cold weather. There's nothing illegal creating LCDA which was later affirmed by the Supreme Court and FG ordered to pay Lagos State her full allocations owed to her.
OBJ withheld Lagos's allocations but a forward-thinking leader increased the IGR geometrically using proactive proficiency to mitigate the attendant financial burdens created by OBJ regime.
https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2021/10/15/osinbajo-obasanjos-seizure-of-lg-funds-forced-lagos-to-think-like-sovereign-state/
Re: All Igbos Enjoyed Free Education Under Tinubu Govt In 1999 -2002 by femisplash: 10:39am On Jul 31, 2022
Eastlink:
Oga stop deceiving people. Lagos was former capital.
Lagos island was former capital not Lagos State. Other divisions of Lagos were under the Western region. Lagos State was created in 1967.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: All Igbos Enjoyed Free Education Under Tinubu Govt In 1999 -2002 by aribisala0(m): 10:39am On Jul 31, 2022
McStoic:

Lagos was not a former capital?!! Kaiii. So where is Dodan Barracks located? Seems you haven't relocated to Lagos from Osun State before 1991? Sorry, I am arguing with the wrong generation..
Lagos State was not the capital read and comprehend
Lagos City is different from Lagos State
just like Enugu, Sokoto, Kaduna, Oyo, Ondo, Bauchi etc
anyway that is an irrelevance
That is not the thrust of my post so do not major in minor
You do not know but argue blindly

Lagos State was created in 1967. It had FIVE DIVISIONS
Lagos
Ikeja
Epe
Ikorodu
Badagry
Lagos State was named after Lagos City in 1967 but the State did not become the federal Capital.
Four of those five divisions were in the Western Region whilst Lagos Division was the FCT under a Minister who was the late Yar'adua's father. Nothing changed. Except we had a state with Ikeja as state capital and Lagos as Federal capital

When you talk of generation do not assume anything online. It is anonymous

Now deal with the isues

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: All Igbos Enjoyed Free Education Under Tinubu Govt In 1999 -2002 by femisplash: 10:43am On Jul 31, 2022
aribisala0:
Lagos State was not the capital read and comprehend
Lagos City is different from Lagos State
just like Enugu, Sokoto, Kaduna, Oyo, Ondo, Bauchi etc
anyway that is an irrelevance
That is not the thrust of my post so do not major in minor
You do not know but argue blindly

Lagos State was created in 1967. It had FIVE DIVISIONS
Lagos
Ikeja
Epe
Ikorodu
Badagry
Four of those five divisions were in the Western Region whilst Lagos Division was the FCT under a Minister who was the late Yar'adua's father. Lagos State but the State did not become the federal Capital. Nothing changed. Except we had a state with Ikeja as state capital and Lagos as Federal capital

When you talk of generation do not assume anything online. It is anonymous

Now deal with the isues
Most of our eastern folks are very ignorant of the history of Lagos and the larger SWtern region. They regurgitate so much of the moonlight tales told them by their uncles. A simple research would have cured their ignorance.

1 Like

Re: All Igbos Enjoyed Free Education Under Tinubu Govt In 1999 -2002 by Biodun556(m): 10:43am On Jul 31, 2022
00FFT00:

All Yoruba are still feeding from oil & gas money from under Igbo soil. You people sound really pathetic. Tinubu's desperation is evident.

Which Igbo oil?

1 Like

Re: All Igbos Enjoyed Free Education Under Tinubu Govt In 1999 -2002 by aribisala0(m): 10:44am On Jul 31, 2022
Eastlink:
Oga stop deceiving people. Lagos was former capital.
What is the difference between Enugu Town and Enugu state
That is the same difference between Kano city and Kano state
Lagos City and Lagos state

If you do not know please keep quiet and stop making noise
When we say Oba of Lagos he is not Oba of the State

So that is where you should start your search . Where is the territory of the Oba of Lagos

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Just In: APC, Stone Us If We Fail. Nigerians, It's Time, Get Your Stones (Photos / Labour Party Campaigning With The Photos Of Joseph, Mary And Infant Jesus / JUST-IN: President Buhari Arrives August 27 Stadium For APC Presidential Rally

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.