Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,994 members, 7,817,947 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:38 PM

Five Killed, 20 Vehicles Vandalised As Violence Erupts In Lagos Again - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Five Killed, 20 Vehicles Vandalised As Violence Erupts In Lagos Again (592 Views)

Amaechi Has Vandalised Rivers State Government House - Wike / A Man Has Been Shot Dead As Violence Hits INEC Office In Bauchi - Graphic Photos / Violence Erupts In Saminaka Over Damage Of Campaign Billboards (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Five Killed, 20 Vehicles Vandalised As Violence Erupts In Lagos Again by jmaine: 4:44am On Aug 02, 2011
Volatile and violent Moonshine [/b]miscreants at it again  cry cry  . . .  The agbero turf wars are back . . .very soon it might spill to other volatile zones like Bariga, Ebute-Metta, Okoagbon- Makoko e.t.c  . . . .

[b]Like a recurring decimal, crisis again erupted in Mushin, the hotbed of Lagos in the early hours of Monday resulting in the killing of five persons and destruction of property. Although authorities confirmed that only two persons were killed, the residents insisted that the death toll reached five.

Our correspondent, who was in the area about 10am, reported that armed men suspected to be from the notorious Akala Street, terrorised the residents of Railway Line and those from New Balogun Street, Yuba Street, Ikeolu Street and Coker Lane.

It was learnt that no fewer than 20 vehicles were vandalised, while six stalls were burnt and several shops destroyed in the violence which lasted for less than an hour.

A local pool operator on Railyway Line, Mr. Jacob Ibidun, said hoodlums made away with the money he wanted to pay customers who won in the betting game.

“I was inside my shop when they came with their guns. Immediately I saw them, I jumped out through the window. Eventually, they made away with about N182,000. It’s unfortunate that these young guys perpetuated such an evil act on the first day of Ramadan,” he said.

Another resident, who craved anonymity, said the hoodlums were carrying out reprisals as some members of a rival gang had earlier attacked them on Sunday evening.

The violence started on Sunday evening. There was a fight around Adeshina Street, which resulted in the death of some guys from Akala. The areas, which were attacked today (Monday,) are believed to be hideouts of enemies of Akala Street,” he said.

PUNCH METRO learnt that although men of the Rapid Response Squad had been carrying out routine patrols in the area because of the ongoing gang war among rival gangs, absence of policemen in the area in the early hours of Monday gave the hoodlums the leeway to unleash mayhem.

One of the occupants of 6, Ikeolu Street, who craved anonymity, recounted that they lost most of their belongings to the attack.

These guys are heartless. They broke into our houses, collected our mobile phones, money, gold and other valuables. This is not any reprisal. This is sheer armed robbery,” he said amid tears.

A woman, who sells beans in a small shop on the Railway Line, was said to have lost N28,000 as her shop and five others were razed.

A member of the community, who craved anonymity, said it was obvious that the police could not contain the crisis.

I am over 40-year- old and I have lived in Mushin all my life. This problem has got out of hand. Just last week, three innocent people were killed. Today again, about five have been killed. I think martial law should be declared in Mushin and soldiers should be deployed in the area,” he said.

The men of the Rapid Response Squad, who arrived about 11:30am, on sighting the hoodlums, began to shoot sporadically. This resulted in exchange of gunfire between the hoodlums and the policemen. Residents and shop owners along Fadeyi area of Ikorodu Road promptly scampered for safety.

Men of the state Fire Service later arrived at the scene to put out fire from the burning shops and stalls set on fire by the hoodlums.

A senior police officer, who declined to give his name told our correspondent that two people were killed, while a commercial bus driver identified simply as Okonkwo was shot in the back.

Our source however added that no arrests had been made but police would continue to comb the area for possible clues.

Efforts to speak with the state Police Public Relations Officer, Mr. Samuel Jinadu, were abortive as he could not be reached on the phone.

http://punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201108021221037
Re: Five Killed, 20 Vehicles Vandalised As Violence Erupts In Lagos Again by ibrobell(m): 5:32am On Aug 02, 2011
May God save us from these miscreants

(1) (Reply)

Nnpc Lifts N133 Billion Oil ‘illegally’ / Abdulmutallab's Trial Set To Begin / Senator Abaribe Responded To Jackson Ude Fake Story On Pointblank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.