Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,243 members, 7,818,833 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:16 AM

Nigeria Poorly Represented In The CommonWealth Games - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Poorly Represented In The CommonWealth Games (432 Views)

FG Rewards Athletes At The Commonwealth Games. See How Much They Got (Photos) / Jade Faulkner, Nigerian Gymnast At The Commonwealth Games. Photos / Yetunde Odunuga, Army Officer At The Commonwealth Games In Australia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Poorly Represented In The CommonWealth Games by flejnr2(f): 12:16pm On Aug 01, 2022
Been watching the commonwealth games and I can’t just understand why Nigeria should be poorly represented , Kenya and Ghana are represented in almost all the whole sports going on but I have seen Nigeria just once in boxing, table tennis and weightlifting and in all we are doing well in the few appearances winning gold before other African counterparts largely represented, I think the sports sector needs much better work and this is obviously a sign of the vast failure of this government if am to say .
Please I think be it tinubu, peter obi or atiku should be asked questions in there interest in sports when elected

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Poorly Represented In The CommonWealth Games by saintokwuluora(m): 12:33pm On Aug 01, 2022
Very important observation. It's a sign that our sports is dying because of visionless and mission less leadership that is only reactionary and feeds on the resilience of the Nigerian youth. Where is Hockey, Handball, Lawn tennis, Volleyball, today? These events where quite popular in primary and secondary schools 25-30 years ago but are largely unknown at same level today. The society has a huge chunk of the blame for this malaise. Parents pay sports fees for their children in the schools but are deadly indifferent to whether there are facilities and equipment for sports in the schools. School becomes unexciting and with the loss of lifetime opportunities bequeathed on these neglected talents, poverty and the rear of it drives many young people into criminal alternatives . Nigeria wastes Energy like no other.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Poorly Represented In The CommonWealth Games by hatakekakashi: 12:43pm On Aug 01, 2022
flejnr2:
Been watching the commonwealth games and I can’t just understand why Nigeria should be poorly represented , Kenya and Ghana are represented in almost all the whole sports going on but I have seen Nigeria just once in boxing, table tennis and weightlifting and in all we are doing well in the few appearances winning gold before other African counterparts largely represented, I think the sports sector needs much better work and this is obviously a sign of the vast failure of this government if am to say .
Please I think be it tinubu, peter obi or atiku should be asked questions in there interest in sports when elected
As at yesterday we were joint 7th on medal table and 1st in Africa with 2gold 1bronze, SA 8th with 2gold. Our men table tennis in quater finals, I think we went for quality over quantity.

We should be doing better than this though, considering we're more than 200M in the country.
Re: Nigeria Poorly Represented In The CommonWealth Games by flejnr2(f): 12:45pm On Aug 01, 2022
saintokwuluora:
Very important observation. It's a sign that our sports is dying because of visionless and mission less leadership that is only reactionary and feeds on the resilience of the Nigerian youth. Where is Hockey, Handball, Lawn tennis, Volleyball, today? These events where quite popular in primary and secondary schools 25-30 years ago but are largely unknown at same level today. The society has a huge chunk of the blame for this malaise. Parents pay sports fees for their children in the schools but are deadly indifferent to whether there are facilities and equipment for sports in the schools. School becomes unexciting and with the loss of lifetime opportunities bequeathed on these neglected talents, poverty and the rear of it drives many young people into criminal alternatives . Nigeria wastes Energy like no other.
I think the poor treatment and promotion of these sports sector by the government makes the youths lose interest in them and focus on the easily attainable ones which they could self develop to an extent and get sponsors easily like football , basketball and boxing , I even see the youths now plying UFC
Re: Nigeria Poorly Represented In The CommonWealth Games by flejnr2(f): 12:49pm On Aug 01, 2022
hatakekakashi:

As at yesterday we were joint 7th on medal table and 1st in Africa with 2gold 1bronze, SA 8th with 2gold. Our men table tennis in quater finals, I think we went for quality over quantity.

We should be doing better than this though, considering we're more than 200M in the country.
Not quality over quantity, but the ones the athletes can sponsor themselves to an extent
Re: Nigeria Poorly Represented In The CommonWealth Games by Applegirl22: 12:50pm On Aug 01, 2022
we all concentrate on football
Re: Nigeria Poorly Represented In The CommonWealth Games by hatakekakashi: 1:14pm On Aug 01, 2022
flejnr2:

Not quality over quantity, but the ones the athletes can sponsor themselves to an extent
Yeah, some of the athletes trained by themselves outside of Nigeria. That's were the sport ministry needs to improve on.
Re: Nigeria Poorly Represented In The CommonWealth Games by excel101(m): 2:14pm On Aug 01, 2022
In the past it has been so nothing came out of it. Just like in past Olypmics, Nigeria were almost represented in all sports events, but nothing like to show for it (at the end they likely come home with nothing). It's better to have fewer representation and have them better prepared unlike when they're more. The important thing is medal's and not the size of athletes.
Re: Nigeria Poorly Represented In The CommonWealth Games by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 2:43am On Sep 14, 2022
Dear Flejnr2
Really? grin
does Nigeria look like a country to you?

I mean do you think she as a country deserve any good & pleasant thing? After beholding all these illogical/immoral/irrational things happening?

For gawd sake how can a so called leader loot our treasury of billions and straightaway goes on buying spree of properties in the developed countries of the world without batting an eyelid!? He is caught and there is no serious action to hold him accountable for the great crime.

These leaders don't have any love for this country, they don't just care.
Re: Nigeria Poorly Represented In The CommonWealth Games by Ppogbae: 4:25am On Sep 14, 2022
Considering the vast majority of our athletes were concentrated in a handful of sports, we surpassed all expectations and performed really well. We can even achieve much more if we just did the bare minimum and built the necessary infrastructure to support all sports.

(1) (Reply)

Can You Pick 1 From Each Row? / Ahmed Musa On Video Call With Falconets After Their Win Against France / Today Betting Tip Odd 13 24/10/2022 Wazobiasports Update

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.