Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,671 members, 7,820,356 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:30 PM

Escaped Giant Tortoise Halts Cambridge To Norwich Trains (photos) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Escaped Giant Tortoise Halts Cambridge To Norwich Trains (photos) (771 Views)

Aero Contractors Halts Operations Over Economic Crisis / Lagos-Ibadan Railway: The Interior Of The New Trains (Photos) / Otedola Bridge Lagos Tanker Fire: Man Narrates How He Escaped (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Escaped Giant Tortoise Halts Cambridge To Norwich Trains (photos) by ghettokid1(m): 12:37pm On Aug 02, 2022
A giant tortoise brought trains to a halt when it was found on a railway track.

The injured animal was spotted near Harling Road, north east of Thetford, Norfolk, on the Cambridge-bound line at about 12:40 BST.

Greater Anglia said three services were affected by the tortoise's presence.

Swallow Aquatics in East Harling said the tortoise, Clyde, had gone missing on Sunday and had now been taken to a vets, as it was hit by a train.

The pet shop said the 2.5ft (76cm) long tortoise had a hole in its shell after the collision.
Diane Akers, a passenger on the 11:22 train from Ely to Norwich, photographed the tortoise on the opposite track when her train came to a halt.

"It was very large and filled a substantial area of the track," she said.

"I tried to tweet Greater Anglia, but I'm not sure the message got through.

"When we got to Norwich station I told staff in the office there, and the chap looked at me as if I was mad - and then a police officer came along and said he'd seen my tweet."

BBC reporter Nic Rigby was a passenger on another train, from Cambridge to Norwich, that ground to a halt.

"The train's been delayed due a giant African tortoise on the line," he said.

"The train inspector announced that he's having trouble believing it - but it's true."

A Greater Anglia spokeswoman said: "We are sorry for the disruption caused to customers between Norwich and Cambridge this afternoon.

"This was due to a very large, injured tortoise on the line near Harling Road.

"Network Rail attended and helped the animal. Services were able to run from 13.25."

She said two trains were terminated early and one service started 20 minutes late.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-62377928
:
lalasticlala
mynd44, justwise, DisGuy
Re: Escaped Giant Tortoise Halts Cambridge To Norwich Trains (photos) by ghettokid1(m): 12:42pm On Aug 02, 2022
Lucky Tortoise;
if its in my country the poor tortoise could ve been a goner

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Escaped Giant Tortoise Halts Cambridge To Norwich Trains (photos) by Quest7777: 12:42pm On Aug 02, 2022
If na one country I know, the escape would have landed the tortoise inside pot of soup. cheesy
Re: Escaped Giant Tortoise Halts Cambridge To Norwich Trains (photos) by Totilopussylick(m): 12:45pm On Aug 02, 2022
Quest7777:
If na one country I know, the escape would have landed the tortoise inside pot of soup. cheesy

Which is brutality against Wild animals tongue
Re: Escaped Giant Tortoise Halts Cambridge To Norwich Trains (photos) by meobizy(f): 4:01pm On Aug 02, 2022
The trains run over humans yet stop work over a tortoise? These white people will never stop amazing me.
Re: Escaped Giant Tortoise Halts Cambridge To Norwich Trains (photos) by ghettokid1(m): 4:41pm On Aug 02, 2022
lalasticlala
mynd44, justwise, DisGuy
Re: Escaped Giant Tortoise Halts Cambridge To Norwich Trains (photos) by Karlovich: 5:48pm On Aug 02, 2022
embarassed If it had been in a certain African country, the tortoise would have been crushed beyond recognition and cooked by savages

(1) (Reply)

Direction From Ikorodu To Surulere / The Complete View Of Akpaka GRA, Onitsha / Have You Heard Of Ancient And Mystic Awhum Waterfalls In Enugu Before?(video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.