Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,351 members, 7,815,717 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:07 PM

Impeachment: Soyinka Backs Lawmakers Against Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Impeachment: Soyinka Backs Lawmakers Against Buhari (11804 Views)

Buhari Backs Lawmakers’ Position On Direct Primary / Soyinka Backs Obasanjo, Says Nigeria Divided Like Never Before Under Buhari / Atiku, Ekweremadu, Akpabio Protest Against Buhari: "Buhari Stop The Killngs" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Impeachment: Soyinka Backs Lawmakers Against Buhari by adenigga(m): 5:33am On Aug 03, 2022
• Nobel Laureate faults President for anointing successor

Nobel Laureate, Wole Soyinka, has backed the six weeks ultimatum given to the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), by some federal lawmakers to find a solution to terrorism or be impeached.

Soyinka spoke on Tuesday in Abeokuta, Ogun State, during an interactive session organised to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Abeokuta Club.

The session, which had a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Femi Falana; the Registrar of the Joint Administration and Matriculation Board, Prof. Ishaq Oloyede; a lawyer, Gbenga Adeoye; a businessman, Ogo-Oluwa Bankole; and the spokesman of the Electricity Distribution Companies, Sunday Oduntan, as panellists, had as its theme “Good governance or mis-governance: The contract called democracy.”

The PUNCH reports that senators and members of the House of Representatives elected on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party had last week handed down the ultimatum over lingering insecurity in the country.

Soyinka, who was the session’s moderator, noted that the President should be impeached because he had breached the contract of democracy.

He said, “Democracy indicates a contract, that is why the candidate puts on a manifesto. On the basis of that manifesto, the candidate is either accepted or rejected.

“Very often, the grounds for breach of contract, I think we all agree, is mis-governance and one of the ways of breaking this kind of contract we know even before the duration of a contract is known as impeachment.

The reason we will go by some legislators to impeach the President who is the head of government. In fact, one cleric has gone even further. He believes that the impeachment should take place not in the legislative home but in the bush with the kidnappers and he appealed to the kidnappers to quicken the process by impeaching the President and take him away and some of his aides and one or two governors.”

Soyinka, however, threw the question to the gathering whether the President should be impeached or not and majority of the people who comprised members of the club and other dignitaries raised their hands that Buhari be impeached.

He also faulted a situation where Buhari, who he said had performed abysmally to the point that lawmakers are considering impeachment, will decide who succeeds him at the end of his tenure.

He added, “In any democracy, any president, prime minister or whatever is entitled to one vote. We are not saying we should disenfranchise somebody because they are on top of governance.

“They had their right to campaign for any candidate they like but there is nothing in any constitution that I know of, in any democratic constitution, which says that the head of government should appoint his or her successor.

“I am not aware of it and this is a head of governance who is generally agreed, I believe, as having failed, having misgoverned to the point that impeachment is being considered.

“I hear the governors go to this individual, go to this failure and say to him ‘please give us your successor.’

“Many of us in this country, including governors, including chairmen of local governments, what comprehension they have of this process called democracy because what these governors are telling us is that after a failure has occupied a seat of government for eight years, that failure should give us another failure for another eight years.”

Soyinka urged the governors to stop desecrating democracy by enthroning a dynasty of failure.

Falana, in his remarks, corroborated Soyinka’s submission on the need to stop the abuse of democratic process.

He decried the imposition of leaders on Nigerians.

Oloyede, in his submission, urged Nigerians not to focus on the faults of the Federal Government but concentrate on the state governments’ involvement in the failure.
Source: https://punchng.com/Impeachment-Soyinka-backs-lawmakers-against-Buhari

168 Likes 26 Shares

Re: Impeachment: Soyinka Backs Lawmakers Against Buhari by NaijaRoyalty(m): 5:33am On Aug 03, 2022
Buhari should be booted out of office immediately if we must save what's left of this country
Nigerians can no longer feed themselves and family. Poverty and death , now the order of the day in this present day Nigeria under the leadership of the world most clueless and useless president , Muhammadu Buhari

136 Likes 26 Shares

Re: Impeachment: Soyinka Backs Lawmakers Against Buhari by aylive02(m): 5:34am On Aug 03, 2022
cheesy
I don't need to be a Nobel Laureate to know that the skeleton in Aso Rock has disappointed the gods.
I am less concerned about that. My concern is for those trying to smuggle an old man into power.

Obi no shaking. I have my PVC in my wallet and so do many reasonable Nigerian youths.

Like For OBI

Share for the druggie and one unreliable man from the umbrella party

79 Likes

Re: Impeachment: Soyinka Backs Lawmakers Against Buhari by Gourdoinc(m): 5:57am On Aug 03, 2022
Please leave buhari alone. We must all pay for the consequences of our actions or inactions. This is the same way we will pay for it, if tinubu is elected next year. Buhari was voted for by Nigerians, or by the reluctance of Nigerians to vote.

Whether you vote or not someone will emerge president. Therefore endeavour not to sell your votes for money or your conscience for tribal and religious bias. Listen to all candidates and vote rightly.

This will ensure that if in future the person is evil, you can at least pat yourself on the back for being stupid and voting for an evil person

Buhari must not be impeached. I reject it. ( Be Obidient and yusful)

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Impeachment: Soyinka Backs Lawmakers Against Buhari by Aonkuuse(m): 6:19am On Aug 03, 2022
Good
Re: Impeachment: Soyinka Backs Lawmakers Against Buhari by Maxymilliano(m): 6:26am On Aug 03, 2022
No sane Nigerians will disagree with the lawmakers.

Buhari deserve to be stoned out of power and not just impeachment ...

252 Likes 71 Shares

Re: Impeachment: Soyinka Backs Lawmakers Against Buhari by Toneypen247(m): 6:38am On Aug 03, 2022
If only he has done the right thing from the onset by not supporting this calamity of a president back then in 2015. undecided undecided

Kindly check my signature below for your academic research service

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Impeachment: Soyinka Backs Lawmakers Against Buhari by SensualMan1(m): 6:43am On Aug 03, 2022
Foolish Old man. You are part of the problem cos u were part of those that protested alongside Buhari in lagos just to spite the Igbos.
If I have my way I will pay kids to foist sand sand in ur mouth and force u to chew it u little old bastard!
I'm not surprised either, Yoruba clowns are unstable. A trait hereditary in all Omoluabis.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Impeachment: Soyinka Backs Lawmakers Against Buhari by GoooodHardDick: 6:43am On Aug 03, 2022
Soyinka is part of the problem we're facing today. How can a sane human endorse a manicure like Buhari? And some are still endorsing a well known notorious vagabond like Tinubu. Suffer no dey tire una for this country?

16 Likes

Re: Impeachment: Soyinka Backs Lawmakers Against Buhari by tommykiwi(m): 6:43am On Aug 03, 2022
Anything that will move the country forward is a welcome development to me.

Agbado and Cassava can't move us forward rather it will take us forward backwards.

Please let's vote wisely, let's not vote with tribalism or religion.

2 Likes

Re: Impeachment: Soyinka Backs Lawmakers Against Buhari by Zabita8: 6:43am On Aug 03, 2022
That's a welcome development
Re: Impeachment: Soyinka Backs Lawmakers Against Buhari by Choski78(m): 6:43am On Aug 03, 2022
no ball's
Re: Impeachment: Soyinka Backs Lawmakers Against Buhari by posty56: 6:43am On Aug 03, 2022
thunder fire all of una , something you people should have done since 2028,en must complete am, we must get sense by force

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Impeachment: Soyinka Backs Lawmakers Against Buhari by Shollyjay90(m): 6:43am On Aug 03, 2022
With all due respect Sir, you are part of those that sold Buhari for us in 2015. So kindly leave us alone, we are wiser now.

12 Likes

Re: Impeachment: Soyinka Backs Lawmakers Against Buhari by GrammarNazi1(m): 6:44am On Aug 03, 2022
Maxymilliano:
No sane Nigerians will disagree with the lawmakers.

Buhari deserve to be stoned out of power and not just impeachment ...
Buhari deserves...

2 Likes

Re: Impeachment: Soyinka Backs Lawmakers Against Buhari by princeade86(m): 6:44am On Aug 03, 2022
Someone they should have impeached since.

1 Like

Re: Impeachment: Soyinka Backs Lawmakers Against Buhari by Evergreen4(m): 6:44am On Aug 03, 2022
Abuja is no longer safe and their state is even worse that's why they remembered to impeach Buhari that is long over due for impeachment. Incompetent and selfish senators

2 Likes

Re: Impeachment: Soyinka Backs Lawmakers Against Buhari by seunlayi(m): 6:44am On Aug 03, 2022
PMB don give you people chop wotowoto grin angry angry angry the breakfast is actually going round grin angry angry angry

I can see GEJ & madam P going to sleep without taking dinner these days. Why? Obviously getting their stomach after laughing at those that supported APC then and the situation they are all in right now grin grin grin grin funniest thing is the APC trying to lure the same Jonathan back grin grin grin >

Brace up Prof for the next 9 months, nothing go remove Buhari. The pro version is still loading

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Impeachment: Soyinka Backs Lawmakers Against Buhari by seunlayi(m): 6:44am On Aug 03, 2022

Was he not part of those that helped PMB to scam you people then?

PMB that scammed a while Prof and Noble L grin

Prof Wole, mòrìwò lẹ ri, ẹ ko ti ri egungun. Egungun ti ọ mbo ko careful rara, Express straight ni ọ nlọ

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Impeachment: Soyinka Backs Lawmakers Against Buhari by princepeter566: 6:44am On Aug 03, 2022
Buhari is giving all of them that supported him back to back....

1 Like

Re: Impeachment: Soyinka Backs Lawmakers Against Buhari by iykofias(m): 6:44am On Aug 03, 2022
Impeach the herder already, It’s only in Africa and Ukraine that slowpokes are allowed to rule
Re: Impeachment: Soyinka Backs Lawmakers Against Buhari by GardenOfGod(m): 6:45am On Aug 03, 2022
I thought Buhari was the best thing that happened to Nigeria in 2015...
Even at that, they're preparing another disaster come 2023. APC is a party of the old rotten people for the old rotten people by the old rotten people.
Nigerian youths have stepped out of the fence. They are ready to retire all the old rotten druggies into their oblivion. grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Impeachment: Soyinka Backs Lawmakers Against Buhari by ClassicMan202(m): 6:45am On Aug 03, 2022
Useless lawmakers....

They didn't speak up since, until the insecurities got to Abuja... Make una no worry, bandits go dey pick una from una various houses soon.

Rubber stamp mor¤ns

1 Like

Re: Impeachment: Soyinka Backs Lawmakers Against Buhari by anonimi: 6:45am On Aug 03, 2022
adenigga:
• Nobel Laureate faults President for anointing successor

Source: https://punchng.com/Impeachment-Soyinka-backs-lawmakers-against-Buhari

Is it not too late in the day for Soyinka, who joined Thiefnuibu in making Bubu president in 2015 over Jonathan whom they all painted as clueless, corrupt, and weak?
How do we avoid the pitfall of another pretentious stingy saint getting the keys to our treasury next year

3 Likes

Re: Impeachment: Soyinka Backs Lawmakers Against Buhari by samuel19222(m): 6:45am On Aug 03, 2022
grin
Re: Impeachment: Soyinka Backs Lawmakers Against Buhari by Honjoshy4u: 6:46am On Aug 03, 2022
When we were warning people like you in 2015, you guys called us wailers. Today prof. Don de wail endlessly. If you like, support Tinubu I'm warning people to run from.
Tinubu is the most incompetent Candidate because his physical and mental health has deteriorated.

4 Likes

Re: Impeachment: Soyinka Backs Lawmakers Against Buhari by SenatePresdo(m): 6:46am On Aug 03, 2022
Buhari can never be impeached, we have about 98% of stupid People in this country that takes joy in being oppressed by politicians simply because he's from their region or religion.

If you come to Nairaland, you will know that Nigeria is Destined to doom by the kind of people we have in this country.

My pity for Nigerians has long gone, vote whoever you want to vote.

Leave this country if you can and when you can. Don't n't think of coming back, your kids would be glad you did, even your ancestors.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Marketers Say Tough Times As Petrol Hits N200/litre / Senate 2023: Ned Nwoko Support Group Holds Strategic Meeting (Photos) / Femi Adesina Receives A Nairalander, AlexReports, Congratulates On Lagos Award

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.