Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,406 members, 7,819,437 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:17 PM

2023: Wole Soyinka Speaks On Outcry Against Muslim/muslim Ticket - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2023: Wole Soyinka Speaks On Outcry Against Muslim/muslim Ticket (416 Views)

North Central APC Protests Against Muslim-Muslim Ticket, Rejects Lalong (Pics) / Soyinka Speaks On Buhari, Jibrin From Sudan And Identity Theft In Poland / Public Outcry Against Ajimobi As He Demolishes Yinka Ayefele's N800m Music House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2023: Wole Soyinka Speaks On Outcry Against Muslim/muslim Ticket by Parachoko: 5:39pm On Aug 05, 2022
Nobel Laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka has condemned the outcry generated by the Muslim/Muslim presidential ticket as Nigerians head towards general elections next year.

He described the controversies surrounding the Muslim/Muslim ticket as a reflection of how the country has been fractured along religious lines and its citizens made to look different from one another right from childhood.

Soyinka made the remarks on Tuesday in Abeokuta, Ogun State while moderating a lecture, themed: ‘Good Governance or Misgovernance: The Contract called Democracy’. The lecture was organised by the historic Abeokuta Club to mark its 50th anniversary.

His words: “This gathering here could not have been more timely. In fact I am hoping that a series of this kind of encounter will take place all over the nation between now and the long awaited day next year. I think it will help many people clarify a number of things in minds before that day and maybe move a little bit away towards pulling us out of the morass in which we find ourselves, if we want to be very honest about this.

“I think we’ve all come here with a lot of negative image hanging on our necks. And also some measure of hope, some modicum of illumination,” Soyinka said.

The Nobel Laureate, acknowledging the presence of secondary school students in uniform whom he said events like that for him were primarily for, also used the opportunity to condemn the controversies triggered by the Muslim/Muslim presidential ticket and whether students should be allowed to wear religious garbs to schools.

“There is one other thing going on in my mind. And I think we have the experts here who will talk about it. There are some school children over there. And one wonderful thing about them for me is that they are in uniform. In other words I cannot tell which one is a Christian, which one is a Muslim, which one is an Orisa worshipper, which one is a Zoroastrian, which one is a Buddhist. They are school children.

“They are equal and they are being encouraged to see one another as human beings, not as separate creatures. And I want to be informed if it is against democracy that schools insist that uniforms be worn by children so that they are not distinguished in a very dramatic way. So that they do not look at one another as different.

“So now I’m talking to religionists. I’m saying why do you want to create such marked differentiation at that age, that impressionable age, when we need to teach our children to look at one another as equals, as the same people, the same entitled creatures of society?

“These are issues which I hope we will also touch. Because when we hear expressions like Muslim/Muslim ticket, Christian/Christian ticket, Orisa/Orisa worshipper ticket. This is where it all begins. This is where the nervousness begins. This is where the anxiety and the phobia begin. This is where it begins, when you teach the children to be different at an age when they are so impressionable. These are issues I hope you will help to resolve,” Soyinka maintained.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/08/2023-wole-soyinka-speaks-on-outcry-against-muslim-muslim-ticket/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2023: Wole Soyinka Speaks On Outcry Against Muslim/muslim Ticket by incandescentena: 5:40pm On Aug 05, 2022
All this scholars and intellectual that have lost Their voices as Nigeria continues to descend into the abyss under a tyranny weak juggernaut

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Wole Soyinka Speaks On Outcry Against Muslim/muslim Ticket by Befulfilled(f): 5:41pm On Aug 05, 2022
shocked
Re: 2023: Wole Soyinka Speaks On Outcry Against Muslim/muslim Ticket by God1000(m): 5:41pm On Aug 05, 2022
He's entitled to his own opinion

1 Like

Re: 2023: Wole Soyinka Speaks On Outcry Against Muslim/muslim Ticket by SmellyNyash: 5:43pm On Aug 05, 2022
Say no to Mumu Mumu ticket shikena

1 Like

Re: 2023: Wole Soyinka Speaks On Outcry Against Muslim/muslim Ticket by Bankright(f): 5:44pm On Aug 05, 2022
Good to be objective in your decisions
Re: 2023: Wole Soyinka Speaks On Outcry Against Muslim/muslim Ticket by Fidelix200(m): 5:46pm On Aug 05, 2022
Too much grammar for Wole Soyinka speech,one would end up not understanding anything

Please who read that should explain to me

1 Like

Re: 2023: Wole Soyinka Speaks On Outcry Against Muslim/muslim Ticket by Parachoko: 5:46pm On Aug 05, 2022
People who have been talking about voting competent people, are no more interested in how competent the candidate is.
Re: 2023: Wole Soyinka Speaks On Outcry Against Muslim/muslim Ticket by Gandollaar(f): 5:51pm On Aug 05, 2022
Parachoko:
People who have been talking about voting competent people, are no more interested in how competent the candidate is.
You are right.

Tinubu is a great guy but he is past his prime. He has anal incontinence. He has memory loss. He is frail and crooked. He is a convicted drug felon. Nobody really knows where he comes from or who his parents were. His certs are also questionable. He is not competent and should be advised to give it up and support a fellow southerner whose chances are brighter.

(1) (Reply)

Why Tinubu Cannot Win The 2023 Elections / Air Marshal Sadique A: Sambisa Forest Is About 60,000sqkm. / Consumption To Production: Your Campaign Is Like ‘satan’ Speaking Against ‘sin’,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.