Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,549 members, 7,816,334 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:41 AM

Does Our Parent Have Legal Right To Reject A Partner They Dont Like? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Does Our Parent Have Legal Right To Reject A Partner They Dont Like? (715 Views)

What Are Those House Chores That You Dont Like Doing? / Nobody Wants To Marry Us, Employers Reject Us, Our Skin Is A Problem –albinos / Does Our Parent Have Legal Right To Reject A Partner They Dont Like? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Our Parent Have Legal Right To Reject A Partner They Dont Like? by jesus3: 9:39am On Aug 03, 2011
I have watched many Nolly wood, Hollywood and Bollywood films where the parents have unequivocally rejected the choice of their wards regarding relationships with opposite s, e, x. Some wards that were defiant ended up having sour/bitter experiences whilst others never experienced any negative experience. BTW thats fictional and not factual

Point 2. Taking a look at what happened in the bible on 2 occasions. Abraham specifically told his servant not to pick a wife for Isaac from a particular tribe and also the parent of Samson rejected his choice of Delilah.  Of course we all know the fate of Samson for being defiant.

Looking at it Legally now. Parent tells a male/female not to date or marry someone they consider not 'good' enough for he/she for whatever reason and the child refuses to listen, can the parent disown the child or delist such child from inheritance?

Also want to know if the parents can legally prevent such child from having his emotional desires. They may be right Morally and culturally but dont know if same is applicable legally

NB this is a true life experience bother a mind as we speak at the moment. I've experienced similar thing on 2 occasions but had to obey their wishes.

I was auto banned by the spambot hence i have to use this ID to post this topic
Re: Does Our Parent Have Legal Right To Reject A Partner They Dont Like? by rose75(f): 11:33am On Aug 03, 2011
I doubt if there's any legality in this issue, I feel it borders on morality and tradition.

It's a situation better imagined than experienced 'cos it could hurt badly. There's a saying that what an elder sees lying down, a child wouldn't see from a tall tree. Though, some of things "seen ' may be irrelevant to the case at hand, but parental blessing in marriage is invaluable.
The person in question should just take it cool, ask God for direction, engage the parents in a hearty conversation, handle the partner maturely( not disclosing the subject the way it is) and if need be, seek the help of mediators.
The parents may or may not have a point but s/he should thread softly.
I pray s/he smiles at last.
Re: Does Our Parent Have Legal Right To Reject A Partner They Dont Like? by Nobody: 11:34am On Aug 03, 2011
A moral right, yes. A legal one, no. Unless you're below the age of legal consent in your country / state.
Re: Does Our Parent Have Legal Right To Reject A Partner They Dont Like? by tpia5: 2:09pm On Aug 03, 2011
They can have their opinion, and sometimes could voice it very strongly, but its not a legal right per se.

The onus is on you to prove them wrong if you also feel strongly about your marriage partner.

However, this is risky business.
Re: Does Our Parent Have Legal Right To Reject A Partner They Dont Like? by Nobody: 4:37pm On Aug 03, 2011
Re: Does Our Parent Have Legal Right To Reject A Partner They Dont Like? by AyanfeIre: 5:35pm On Aug 03, 2011
@All,

Sincerely, I have issues with parents rejecting their children's life partner choice due to some reasons. Some parents hide under "we have prayed about it and this is what God says"; Some also have personal reasons. But nevertheless, this happened to me and I will like everybody to read about my life experience now as I disobeyed my parents. Click on this link:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-726248.0.html

Thank you as you advise me.

(1) (Reply)

Question For Parents / What Do U Mis About Childhood? / The Nigerian Bible For 2012: Who Says Nigerians Are Not Gifted- Interesting!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.