Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,602 members, 7,816,496 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:59 AM

Is It Worth Buying A Gaming Laptop? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Is It Worth Buying A Gaming Laptop? (559 Views)

A Nairalander Built A Gaming Pc / Is Acer Aspire V3-731 A Gaming Laptop??? / Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Worth Buying A Gaming Laptop? by miagoth(f): 7:16am On Aug 07, 2022
With Nvidia's powerful GeForce 30-series now available in laptops, it's time to revisit the eternal desktop-versus-laptop-PC question focused on gaming because most looking at GeForce 30-series computers would probably put gaming at the top of their task list. This question is more complex than ever. Volatility in pricing has been a result of dramatic leaps in CPU/GPU performance.

Are you thinking of a GeForce 30-series Gaming desktop or laptop? Here are some things to consider first.

Portability

Gaming laptops weigh in at four to eight pounds. The laptops that are at the top of the scale are the most difficult to transport. However, they can be just as fun to carry as an engine block. There are also disruptors such as the Asus ROG Flow X13 which weighs in at just three pounds and boasts Ryzen 5000-powered gaming capabilities. Begin by looking at how and where you use your gaming computer.

Value

Gaming laptops are portable, so the value is also a must. The cost of building a whole laptop is almost always lower than buying parts for a desktop. This one is unfortunately closer than buyers would expect due to a shortage of desktop GPUs. We compared the following configurations: 8-core Core Intel i7-10700K CPU, GeForce RX 3060 Ti, 1TB M.2 SSD, 32GB RAM, case, OS, and 750-Watt power supply. The cooler was also found on PCPartPicker. We also included a 24-inch 1080p panel with 240Hz, a mechanical RGB keyboard, mouse, and speakers to match the accessories that a laptop comes with.

The gaming desktop will cost you around $2,600 with all the accessories. An MSI GE76 Raider laptop, with an 8-core Core i7-10770H, GeForce RTX3080, 16GB video RAM, 32GB RAM, 1TB PCIe SSD, OS, and a 17.3 inch 300Hz panel, costs $2,900.

This is a narrower gap than ever before, and this is when the desktop is running a GeForce GTX 3060 Ti. The desktop would be $3,300 if you upgraded to a GeForce RTX3080 because you are into model-number parity.

It is possible to get a better value desktop if you don't need all of the accessories. Gaming laptops are now more affordable due to the incredible price inflation of desktop GPUs.

Upgradability

Although the desktop did not win the value category, it is possible to get the most out of your hardware with a standards-based PC. After a computer's life span has expired or is no longer needed, you can always upgrade it.

Gaming laptops are more easily 'upgradable' than other laptops. However, even then, you can only increase the RAM or storage. The motherboard usually houses the CPU and GPU, making upgrades difficult. Thunderbolt is an option on some Intel-based laptops, but it's unlikely that you would want to use this feature.

Performance
We compared a GeForce RTX3080 laptop with 16GB RAM to a GeForce RTX3060 Ti desktop with 8GB RAM in our value category. Because of the impact that laptops have on performance and power, we did this.

Nvidia is actually introducing different dies for the GeForce GTX 3080 laptop GPU and the GeForce RTX 3080 desktop GPU. The GeForce RTX3080 laptop has a few cores more than the GeForce RTX3070 desktop GPU. The laptop's power and thermals are limited to 150 watts. This means that it performs slightly less than a desktop 3070 for most gaming tasks. It's actually right in the middle of the RTX3060 Ti and RTX3070 desktop GPUs for gaming.

A GeForce GTX 3080 Desktop will eat a GeForceRTX 3080 laptop, despite having the same model numbers.

The CPU of regular gaming laptops (not the Mack-truck-sized ones with desktop chips) can run up to 8 cores regardless of whether it is an AMD or Intel CPU. This limitation is not applicable to desktops.

Be aware that the performance of your desktop is only as important as how you use it. Today's gaming laptops can run insanely fast for gaming and most other applications. It is a waste to spend money on a service you don't use.

Available

The next question is about what you can buy if you are still deciding between a gaming laptop and a desktop gaming computer. The latest Nvidia GeForce 30-series GPUs, as we have mentioned in the Value section, are either extremely expensive or simply not on the market. The MSRP price for the GeForce GTX 3060 Ti is $400. Good luck finding it. You may have to pay twice the list price if you find it. Newegg.com did not have a GeForce RTX3080 for sale. We saw the usual "out of stock" message.

CLS Computer for GeForce 30 series laptops is a good choice. Although it is difficult to know if the purchase will last long-term, it is clear that you have an advantage by being able to shop online rather than buying from a window shop. This roundup of the top gaming laptops may help you make some suggestions.

1 Like

Re: Is It Worth Buying A Gaming Laptop? by Ayomideen(m): 8:50am On Aug 07, 2022
Nice thread man, I feel like the main reasons people get gaming laptops is just for portability and in some instances, cost.
Because desktops are generally more upgradeable and also are usually better performance-wise

1 Like

Re: Is It Worth Buying A Gaming Laptop? by Onyeka90210(m): 9:56am On Aug 07, 2022
Great article
Nothing beats the portability and flexibility of a gaming laptop.
You can connect to the TV and use wireless pad (controller) and play it like a console
Or you can plug it to a monitor, get external gaming keyboard and mouse, and use it like a desktop.
I have this AMD Ryzen powered ultra book that can flip into a tablet, so light and powerful.
I play games with it in my bed in tablet mode(tent mode) with external mouse and keyboard, and you don’t have to worry about blocking the intake vents.
Same time can pass as an office/productivity laptop, easy to carry around, great battery life.
Re: Is It Worth Buying A Gaming Laptop? by Nobody: 6:41pm On Aug 07, 2022
Guys,am a noob in buying PC's.
my question is,can i get a reasonable gaming PC which i can use for data analysis with a budget of #300k?
Re: Is It Worth Buying A Gaming Laptop? by Druss(m): 6:47pm On Aug 07, 2022
IamBabsjnr:
Guys,am a noob in buying PC's.
my question is,can i get a reasonable gaming PC which i can use for data analysis with a budget of #300k?

Check the recommended specs for the games you play. If you paste them here, then perhaps someone can direct you. I can tell you for free that 300k is not enough to buy a laptop to play the top AAA games at ultra and 60fps 1080p. It really depends on the games you play.
Re: Is It Worth Buying A Gaming Laptop? by Nobody: 6:54pm On Aug 07, 2022
Druss:

Check the recommended specs for the games you play. If you paste them here, then perhaps someone can direct you. I can tell you for free that 300k is not enough to buy a laptop to play the top AAA games at ultra and 60fps 1080p. It really depends on the games you play.
i don't actually need it for gaming.i want a laptop strong enough for programming and i know a gaming laptop falls in such category.

1 Like

Re: Is It Worth Buying A Gaming Laptop? by Druss(m): 6:58pm On Aug 07, 2022
IamBabsjnr:
i don't actually need it for gaming.i want a laptop strong enough for programming and i know a gaming laptop falls in such category.

What is the recommended specs for the language you wish to learn? Easy way is to search Google for this.

For example Scratch https://funtech.co.uk/course-descriptions/scratch

Processor: 1.5GHz or faster
Memory: 2GB (2,048MB) RAM
Free HDD space: 2GB
Hardware: keyboard, mouse, and headset with microphone

Python https://ssiddique.info/ideal-computer-specs-for-python-programming.html

Processors: Any two or higher core processor including Intel® Core™ i5 @2.60GHz, new-gen Xeon® processor @2.30 GHz, or AMD Ryzen 5 CPUs running at higher frequency
RAM: 4GB of system memory from any decent manufacturer
Disk space: 2-3GB of SEAGATE Hard Drive
Operating System: Windows 10 Official, Mac OS 10.12.6 (and up), or Linux/Ubuntu 16.10+

PS Gaming laptop is a very wide category. It simply means the laptop has a discrete standalone GPU.
Re: Is It Worth Buying A Gaming Laptop? by Nobody: 8:05pm On Aug 07, 2022
Druss:

What is the recommended specs for the language you wish to learn? Easy way is to search Google for this.

For example Scratch https://funtech.co.uk/course-descriptions/scratch

Processor: 1.5GHz or faster
Memory: 2GB (2,048MB) RAM
Free HDD space: 2GB
Hardware: keyboard, mouse, and headset with microphone

Python https://ssiddique.info/ideal-computer-specs-for-python-programming.html

Processors: Any two or higher core processor including Intel® Core™ i5 @2.60GHz, new-gen Xeon® processor @2.30 GHz, or AMD Ryzen 5 CPUs running at higher frequency
RAM: 4GB of system memory from any decent manufacturer
Disk space: 2-3GB of SEAGATE Hard Drive
Operating System: Windows 10 Official, Mac OS 10.12.6 (and up), or Linux/Ubuntu 16.10+

PS Gaming laptop is a very wide category. It simply means the laptop has a discrete standalone GPU.
am a data analyst.still training.
the pc am using now is borrowed.
Re: Is It Worth Buying A Gaming Laptop? by SimplePlan34: 8:38pm On Aug 07, 2022
IamBabsjnr:
am a data analyst.still training.
the pc am using now is borrowed.

Ur data analysis are u self training or going to a program. How hard is it.
Re: Is It Worth Buying A Gaming Laptop? by Nobody: 10:43pm On Aug 07, 2022
SimplePlan34:

Ur data analysis are u self training or going to a program. How hard is it.
am self training.so far am enjoying it.
. .
there are still a lot i have to learn but its interesting.
Re: Is It Worth Buying A Gaming Laptop? by SimplePlan34: 5:42am On Aug 08, 2022
IamBabsjnr:
am self training.so far am enjoying it.
. .
there are still a lot i have to learn but its interesting.

How do u go about the certification and how ready available is the job prospects
Re: Is It Worth Buying A Gaming Laptop? by Nobody: 6:01am On Aug 08, 2022
SimplePlan34:

How do u go about the certification and how ready available is the job prospects
there is a thread that can answer all your question on data analysis/science.the name is chronicles of a data scientist,search for it and follow.
as for certification,am not using a structured course like udemy and the likes,i use youtube videos and pdf's.i don't have one yet.most times those needing your service are not after your certificate,they want to see what you have done before they can employ you.
job availability-well,it depends on how far you can search for them.

(1) (Reply)

NOKIA 8210 4G... Where To Buy In Nigeria??? (abuja) / Top 10 Internet Moments Of The Decade / How Do I Get A Good Timer For Cafer(10-15 Systems)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.