Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,930 members, 7,810,590 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:39 AM

Why Are Nigerian Companies And Employers Like This? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Are Nigerian Companies And Employers Like This? (250 Views)

Why Are Nigerian Banks Not Using The Credit Card System Like Other Countries? / Nigerian Graduates Are Highly Employable; Govt And Employers Are Liars / 7 Benefits Of The Senate's New Companies And Allied Matters Act (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Nigerian Companies And Employers Like This? by LocalStandard1(m): 6:51am On Aug 09, 2022
Come on! The Nigerian government is planning on increasing the telecoms tax by five percent and already they in turn are planning on pushing the expenditure on the average Nigerian.

As if that's not enough, they're actually planning on increasing their own cost by a whooping hundred percent. Haba!! Is that fair? I hope am not getting the maths right.

These companies and employers don't even bother also increasing staff salaries by a single dime.

Working as a service provider, earning a sh*tty amount working in the nights and sometimes even the day. Now, boss is increasing prices of service by about twenty percent yet salary is still unchanged. Even with all the honesty, loyalty and absolute accountability on my side.

No be sand we dey chop now! And prices keep skyrocketing.

If the government aren't checkmating all these incessant increase at least the employers should grow a conscience by increasing our pays too, I beg.

I eat twice the average person and a good ten percent of my small salary goes to monthly subscription, another ten percent goes to gym membership. How Local man wan take continue like this?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Companies And Employers Like This? by ogashman(m): 6:56am On Aug 09, 2022
U can only survive when u vote out these cancerous set of leaders in 2023 and vote in a candidate that has the interests of the people at heart.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Companies And Employers Like This? by ITbomb(m): 7:13am On Aug 09, 2022
Remember, Tinubu is set to continue from where Buhari stops. Be wise
Re: Why Are Nigerian Companies And Employers Like This? by LocalStandard1(m): 7:16am On Aug 09, 2022
ogashman:
U can only survive when u vote out these cancerous set of leaders in 2023 and vote in a candidate that has the interests of the people at heart.

You are right. But understand, I don't think it happens like this in other countries.

When the government increase tax these companies should be the ones to pay for it or vamoose. Don't throw the load on your consumers. And even doing it to an astronomical proportion, while still paying your workers peas.

There must be regulations and checks and balances from the government against price accelerations by these conglomerates.

This was what they did when the VAT was increased:
"Eh! Government don increase VAT oh, oya, increase prices of goods by double the amount." Haba!!

And we are still paying, they are still cashing, workers keep working while bellies keep rumbling.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Companies And Employers Like This? by Connected1: 7:25am On Aug 09, 2022
LocalStandard1:

You are right. But understand, I don't think it happens like this in other countries.

When the government increase tax these companies should be the ones to pay for it or vamoose. Don't throw the load on your consumers. And even doing it to an astronomical proportion. While still paying your workers peas.
Vamoose. Did I hear you right?

You want these companies to go, it's like you don't know what you are saying, if they go, who will employ people, is it the useless government? How many companies do they have?

You want these companies to increase salaries without increasing the price of the services like other sectors are doing, who will incurr the losses, it's a company not a charity organization, they are in the business for making profits.

The best option is to vote in good leaders that have the people at heart, that's what you should be thinking about.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Companies And Employers Like This? by LocalStandard1(m): 7:28am On Aug 09, 2022
Connected1:

Vamoose. Did I hear you right?

You want these companies to go, it's like you don't know what you are saying, if they go, who will employ people, is it the useless government? How many companies do they have?

You want these companies to increase salaries without increasing the price of the services like other sectors are doing, who will incurr the losses, it's a company not a charity organization, they are in the business for making profits.

The best option is to vote in good leaders that have the people at heart, that's what you should be thinking about.

Good point. Question, are they increasing salaries? If salaries are increased in direct proportion to price increase trust me, baba me no go complain.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Companies And Employers Like This? by Nobody: 7:31am On Aug 09, 2022
It is not companies taxing us but government taxing everyone to raise funds to pay their debts.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Companies And Employers Like This? by Nobody: 7:37am On Aug 09, 2022
LocalStandard1:

Good point. Question, are they increasing salaries? If salaries are increased in direct proportion to price increase trust me, baba me no go complain.

Companies can increase salaries but if they have to, then they will have to reduce their staffs on their payroll.

MTN is doing that, they are downsizing while also giving those who got downsized opportunities to apply for new roles with increased pay...so out of every one who got downsized maybe 2 will be employed after going through rigorous tests.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Companies And Employers Like This? by LocalStandard1(m): 7:45am On Aug 09, 2022
Okonandmary:

Companies can increase salaries but if they have to, then they will have to reduce their staffs on their payroll.

MTN is doing that, they are downsizing while also giving those who got downsized opportunities to apply for new roles with increased pay...so out of every one who got downsized maybe 2 will be employed after going through rigorous tests.
Ok. Lets keep suffering and smiling shall we?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Companies And Employers Like This? by Connected1: 8:41am On Aug 09, 2022
LocalStandard1:

I am a salary earner too for a private company and I understand how you feel but if they increase salaries due to inflation, what happens when the economy becomes stable? Will workers accept a pay cuts to the former salaries or even lower.

Aside that you should know that same way the prices of goods and services are affecting you, it is also affecting them too. It all boils down to the government in providing and managing a better economy for it citizens and countrymen.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Companies And Employers Like This? by LocalStandard1(m): 9:04am On Aug 09, 2022
Connected1:

I am a salary earner too for a private company and I understand how you feel but if they increase salaries due to inflation, what happens when the economy becomes stable? Will workers accept a pay cuts to the former salaries or even lower.

Aside that you should know that same way the prices of goods and services are affecting you, it is also affecting them too. It all boils down to the government in providing and managing a better economy for it citizens and countrymen.

Thank you for that. Still, increasing prices of goods by a hundred percent is mind boggling for five percent tax increase now. Haba!
Re: Why Are Nigerian Companies And Employers Like This? by Mide3367: 9:56am On Aug 09, 2022
Obi is coming..
Re: Why Are Nigerian Companies And Employers Like This? by Nobody: 10:58am On Aug 09, 2022
LocalStandard1:

Ok. Lets keep suffering and smiling shall we?

There is nothing you can do over someone else way of managing his business

(1) (Reply)

Pi / Why Vessels Prefer Lagos To Eastern Ports – Naval Spokesperson, Ayo-vaughan / Mono Ethylene Glycol (MEG) Available At Niche Global Ltd Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.