Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,711 members, 7,844,346 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 07:04 PM

Pelosi Visited Taiwan To Convince TSMC Founder Morris Chang To Build Fab Plants - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Pelosi Visited Taiwan To Convince TSMC Founder Morris Chang To Build Fab Plants (300 Views)

China Threatens To NUKE Japan On Eve Of Olympics If It Intervenes In Taiwan(Pix) / Nancy Pelosi Gets 'Enough Testimony' To Remove Trump From Office / Nancy Pelosi Refuses To Commit To Sending Articles Of Impeachment To Senate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pelosi Visited Taiwan To Convince TSMC Founder Morris Chang To Build Fab Plants by rottennaija(m): 9:25am On Aug 09, 2022
https://twitter.com/notXiangyu/status/1556610234319339521?t=RMY_Rhi3G_PcUgiVE2UdIw&s=19

1. When Pelosi visited Taiwan, she met with TSMC founder Morris Chang to convince him to build fab plants in the US. When she visited Korea, she wanted to meet Yoon to pressure Samsung to do the same. So why did Yoon refuse to meet her?

2. She wanted Samsung to take advantage of the CHIPS act, but doing so would ban the American subsidiary of Samsung to provide chips to China. 60% of Samsung's chip exports are to China. I cannot imagine Samsung being happy had Yoon agreed to meet with Pelosi.

3. Morris Chang pointed out that locating fabs in multiple occasions is impractical. It is clear the US wants to not only starve mainland China of chips, but also wants to force technology transfers by having fabs built in the US.

4. If you get rid of TSMC from calculations, Taiwan's economic growth is actually negative. All Taiwan's economy has going for it right now is TSMC, but how long will this last?

5. Not to mention, Intel is slated to overtake TSMC in 2024, so Taiwan's economy is already in a precarious situation. This puts Taiwan in a situation that Saudi Arabia would be in if the world price of oil dropped to $10 a barrel, only it's worse.

6. Because even if oil dropped to such low prices, the oil is still under Saudi soil. Now the US is trying to get TSMC to build chips in the US and not in Taiwan. Imagine if ExxonMobil could move entire oil fields from Saudi Arabia or Kuwait into the US.

7. What Taiwan needs right now, and what I will be fighting for, is an end to all illusions created by the DPP and its US overlords. We need a normal economy that is not overly dependent on any one sector.

8. The size of Taiwan's workforce is 12 million. How many people can the chip industry employ in Taiwan? Less than 100K? And what will happen when TSMC loses its position as world leader? Layoffs. On top of that, a recession.

1 Share

Re: Pelosi Visited Taiwan To Convince TSMC Founder Morris Chang To Build Fab Plants by rottennaija(m): 9:26am On Aug 09, 2022
9. If the DPP's propaganda is still effective, the youth will be led to believe that the difficult times are caused by the CPC, and if they continue to believe the US will intervene and help Taiwan in the case of a cross-strait conflict, we will end up in a precarious situation.

10. But the truth is we are here today because the DPP is insane and keeps selling us out to US imperialists so that it can maintain its power, and it manufactures consent for its betrayal of the ppl by selling pride in a deformed version of Taiwanese identity.

11. A twisted Taiwanese identity not built on the actual achievements of the Taiwanese people, but on the hatred of the mainland, then paying money to make Taiwan more visible on the world stage, exciting liberals over the idea that the "civilized west" approves of them.

12. I love Taiwan and I love my compatriots, and this is why I cannot stand by idiots who say "Bleep Taiwan" because of this buffoonery. I know things don't have to be this way, and that Taiwan can be saved by removing the tumor that plagues it.

13. I am more optimistic than ever that this cause I stand behind will win. As the US continues to rear its true face, more and more people will wake up to the reality that the US is not our friend, and that mainland China is not our enemy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pelosi Visited Taiwan To Convince TSMC Founder Morris Chang To Build Fab Plants by Trex001: 1:41pm On Aug 09, 2022
Tsmc already has plans to build fabs in US I think
Re: Pelosi Visited Taiwan To Convince TSMC Founder Morris Chang To Build Fab Plants by rottennaija(m): 3:07pm On Aug 11, 2022
Trex001:
Tsmc already has plans to build fabs in US I think

Once they do so, they will be of no use to many other countries anymore.
Re: Pelosi Visited Taiwan To Convince TSMC Founder Morris Chang To Build Fab Plants by Dvdpity: 6:33pm On Aug 11, 2022
This is good. Chinese of Taiwan province has more brains than Ukrainians.

When Nancy pelosi saw that her plans where not working, she started to praise and glorify China, that Chinese are good people. Bla bla nonsense.

Ukrainians are so so stupid.

Mainland China are not our enemy. That a sentence to live with.

(1) (Reply)

-russia Pounds Ukraine's Position With The HURRICANE AND GRAD Systems / Ukraine Parliament Pass Bill To Mobilize Women To Fight Against Russia / USA Exposed For Creating Millions Of Fake Accounts To Spread Anti Russia Propaga

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.