Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,256 members, 7,815,395 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:43 AM

The Unbargained Marathon - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Unbargained Marathon (277 Views)

VP Osinbajo Celebrates Hilda Baci's 100 Hours Cooking Marathon Record / A Writing Career Is Marathon, Not A Sprint - Alexander Nderitu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Unbargained Marathon by Prince12Eddie(m): 11:11am On Aug 09, 2022
Good morning everyone!

I'm here with a beautiful and mind blowing fictional write up. This write up is original and it's created by me.

© Edidiong Uwah

Having searched for jobs in the nooks and crannies of Uyo but found none... I decided to tell my uncle about it, he bases in Lagos with his family.

I sent my credentials to him. He was able to secure a good part time job for me at a marketing and communication firm. It's been one week since I began to work there.

Today, I arrived work abit late, due to the heavy traffic. My boss decided to discipline me, I was appointed the errand boy for the day, even a little baby could ask me to clean up his poop and I wouldn't argue.

Around noon, I was sent to drop a documentary at a nearby firm, I was given the transport fare. I got to the firm immediately, I did as I was told.

On leaving the firm for my work place, I participated in a "marathon" I never bargained for.
I was about getting to the junction where I would take a cab, only to notice people running helter skelter.

As a "true" Nigerian, I didn't bother to ask questions, I began to run alongside the others. I covered about a distance of 3 kilometers before I got tired and halted. I asked another running mate of mine why he was running, he said he saw others running, he decided to join them. I was so bittered about my stupidity.

But it never dawned on me that I would thereafter witness what I had never seen before. I only saw such on movies or heard about it as tales.

I had hit an old woman in the process of trying to halt. Immediately I was done talking with the random "runner", I turned around and walked up to her inorder to apologise, only to witness something dramatic but evil.

The old woman pointed her finger to my feet, picked up some amount of sand, brought out a white tiny nylon from her bag and put the sand in. Fear gripped me.

I quickly got on my knees and apologized for hitting her, it was unintentional, I explained. She didn't say a word, she just looked at me and began to move.
I walked by her side, pleaded with her to at least drop the sand, I was ready to do anything inorder to achieve that feat.
We covered some distance, I was still pleading.

At some point she paused and spoke for the first time, "Young man, go home, I have taken care of the matter already".
"Taken care of the matter? What does she mean by that statement" I asked myself. I pleaded yet again for her to drop the sand.

"You don't wanna go back right? well... follow me to my house, you will do some stuffs for me before I could think of forgiving you" she said. I was abit elated but at the same time scared.

We diverted into a little street, I looked around, the place was lively, businesses were on going.
We got to a house with a large black gate. We proceeded into the compound, I actually felt we were going into the house when she walked past the building.

At the other side of the compound, there was a small but thick black gate. She pushed it open, we both walked through. She bolted the gate. I was scared because I couldn't sight any building ahead.

Just then, two pythons with human heads crawled out from only God knows where. They bowed to her as she touched their heads.
On seeing that, I began to urinate unconsciously into my panties, I wished the ground would just open up and swallow me.

My legs were visibly vibrating, I managed to turn around in a bid to escape, only to notice that the path I walked through had become a thick forest with tall trees. I couldn't sight the house we walked passed.

The pythons were crawling towards me when the woman spoke, "he's here to perform some task for me, leave him alone... get back!" she yelled. The pythons turned around and crawled back, before I could regain myself, they had disappeared.

"Don't be afraid my son, remember you insisted on following me, let's keep moving" she said. I had no choice but to move along.

We moved along some bushy paths till we got to a small hut. Beside it, was a little stream.
"You will fetch water from that stream and fill some cans in that hut, once you are done, you would be allowed to go back home and your sins will be forgiven" she said.

As we got closer to the hut, I heard some croaky voices. At the foot of the hut were human skulls, but these skulls could speak. Fresh blood was still dripping from their eye sockets, they greeted the old woman.

At this point, I had began to release some tiny poop from my bumbum. I couldn't believe all that I saw.
She took me in, showed me the cans I would fill up, gave me a tiny bucket with which I would use in fetching the water.

We got to the little stream, the toads were faceless, they only had four eyes on their stomachs. She stretched out her hands, the toads jumped out of the water. I was instructed by the woman to begin the fetching.

By this time, sweat had soaked up my entire clothes.
I gathered up courage and began to fetch the water.
An hour later, I was done.

Just then, the woman emerged from the floor of the hut, I couldn't tell if she was a spirit or human but I recognized she was the one.

She looked around to ascertain if the cans were filled with water. Thereafter, she took me outside, pulled out the tiny nylon and blew away the sand.
"Go! your sins are forgiven" she said.

Just then, I found myself at the point I began the "marathon".
I took a cab directly to my work place, I shared my experience with my boss, he asked me to put it into writing.

And that's exactly what you just read!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

News Headlines - Igbohoconnect.com - Igbohoconnect - Igboho Connect / Divine Conqueror - Feather's Stories / My Major Ana @ 41 Take-away

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.