Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,807 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:38 PM

FACTCHECK: Was Kwara Governor Chased Away By Decamping APC Members? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FACTCHECK: Was Kwara Governor Chased Away By Decamping APC Members? (865 Views)

Governor Abdulrazaq Chased Away By Decamping APC Members - Isaac Fayose Reacts / Atiku Speaks On Decamping From PDP To APGA / Reno Omokri Reacts To Akpabio Decamping To APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FACTCHECK: Was Kwara Governor Chased Away By Decamping APC Members? by Afonja2: 12:40pm On Aug 09, 2022
I will like to address this post to Seun especially and other members of Nairaland management.

As 2023 elections draw close, there is a need to be circumspect in the types and manners of posts you validate and push to the frontpage of the popular platform.

There is no doubt that most of Nairaland moderators are either sympathisers of Peter Obi or they have been bought over. A quick look at the frontpage will easily reveal this.

Any post that tries to mock Bola Tinubu or APC easily finds its way to the frontpage whereas nearly all the posts about Obi on the frontpage are pro-Labour Party man. However, in their attempt to appear balanced, they push one or two pro-Tinubu posts and the same number of anti-Obi posts to the frontpage. No one is fooled by this.

I understand that Nairaland is a business venture and I have started seen Obi adverts on the platform. This however does not invalidate the fact that a news medium should be fair, objective and unbiased on all issues.

We should not also forget that there is Cybercrime Act 2015 which regulates what is obtainable in Nigeria's cyberspace. Except Nairaland treads softly, it may soon run foul of the act.

The idea that Nairaland is a faceless forum does not give it (and members) the liberty to bully or say anything negative about individuals with no consequence thereof.

We are all aware of the steps being taken by Instagram to check the excesses of Gistlovers Blog on their platform. Instagram has deactivated many accounts of Gistlovers in the past, for running foul of their rules. Nairaland can not be an exception.

If indeed you want to regulate your members and check their excesses (faceless or not), there are many new innovate ways you can employ to do this. I will tell you one.

Members currently register with email address. How about reviewing the registration and membership process to include their Phone Numbers? With this, members will realised that they could be traced if occasion demands and will be responsible with what they post on the platform.

Now, let me specifically address the essence of this post.

Kwara State Governor was allegedly booed and chased away by decamping APC members in the state. I find this post unprofessional and distasteful. I am surprised that moderators were quick to push it to the frontpage despite that it was posted with no reliable source.

1. The post was made by a certain member called Newsgist24 (https://www.nairaland.com/newsgist24/).

This guy has been confirmed to be a sympathiser of Peter Obi.

I expect your moderators to check the antecedents of posters before pushing their posts to the frontpage, especially if it contains no reliable link/source. A quick check on this guy's profile will reveal that all his political posts are anti-APC and pro-Obi. Except your moderators are culpable, this simple task should not be a rocket science to them.

2. A quick factcheck on the video revealed that, that event actually took place about four years ago during the 2019 gubernatorial elections.

One can see from the video (see the link below) that those who booed and chased away the then Gubernatorial candidate of APC (now Kwara State Governor) were not decamping APC members but supporters of Kwara State PDP strongman, Bukola Saraki.

See the full video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQf-T-98xjI

Yesterday, Kwara State Government also released a statement to dispute this, as seen below:

Yesterday afternoon, August 7, 2022, some opposition figures sought to trend a video in which thugs and supporters of former Senate President Bukola Saraki threw caution to the wind and disrupted an event held on 26th December 2018 by the Ilorin Emirate Descendants Progressive Union (IEDPU) at the Emir of Ilorins Palace. This video showed the Saraki crowd, known in those years for intimidating people, heckling the then governorship candidate of APC AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq as he gave his remarks at the community event in the presence of the Emir and dignitaries from the Emirate.

Attached to the video (they tried to trend now) is a caption that the Governor was booed at Kwara State Polytechnic. It is false. No event took place in Kwara Polytechnic yesterday, August 7, 2022, to warrant the Governor being there. The video was taken in 2018 at the annual event organised by Ilorin Emirate's apex sociocultural body, the IEDPU. The Governor who was a candidate then, attended the event as a special guest of his home community association. It is well known that this riotous and disrespectful action by Saraki supporters and thugs was the last straw that caused the Saraki's loss of every single elective seat in Kwara at the 2019 General Elections.
Those who trended the video desperately meant to send the signal that an incumbent Governor was being booed.

That probably misled the wrong audience. For the Kwara audience, however, the video did the opposite. It reminded them of the terrible old days when anyone who held different views was treated with contempt and harassed with thugs loyal to the deposed dynasty. The video reminds them of the dreaded dark days when respected Royalty and elders of the community were humiliated for daring to differ. The video brought back memories of when opposition leaders were denied access to public places.

But the fake video came at a wrong moment in history.

Over the last three years of the AbdulRazaq Administration, Kwara has enjoyed unprecedented peace and security.

Scheduled flights to the city of Ilorin have quadrupled. Less than a month ago, this conducive environment allowed all Ilorin sons and daughters and residents of the capital city to enjoy a very peaceful Eid as well as a joyous Durbar at which the Governor and other dignitaries rode on horseback along with the Emir amidst a cheering tumultuous crowd. Such events were never held peacefully in those dark years.

It was a video that retold the story of the horrors of those years, in contrast with the convivial atmosphere that the same man they harassed in the old video has now created in Kwara State. It is a rude awakening of Kwarans to the ugly past administrations and a time call for them to exercise their imminent civic duty of voting to permanently bury the bad old days and its ruthless rulers.

While the Governor represents a bright new dawn of free speech, those behind the video are purveyors of fake news reminiscent of the old order.

Certainly, no reasonable Kwaran wishes a return of those years where to hold a contrary view earns you jeers, indignation and violence.

Members of the public are kindly urged to ignore the old video clip which is clearly one propaganda gone awry.

Alhaji Bashir Adigun
Special Adviser, Political Communication to the Governor of Kwara State

https://www.facebook.com/followkwsg

I hope Seun and Nairaland will do the needful and avoid running foul of the law. I am aware that government is monitoring the activities of the forum with a view to do the needful.

Let us make hay before it is too late.

Seun

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: FACTCHECK: Was Kwara Governor Chased Away By Decamping APC Members? by Qtrpst4: 12:48pm On Aug 09, 2022
Useless fact checker
Re: FACTCHECK: Was Kwara Governor Chased Away By Decamping APC Members? by Nobody: 12:54pm On Aug 09, 2022
Wow, big shame. Sorry dear. Pele!
Re: FACTCHECK: Was Kwara Governor Chased Away By Decamping APC Members? by Okoroawusa: 12:59pm On Aug 09, 2022
When it comes to fake news give it to Peter Obi supporters. They have totally hugged the social media space....

We siddon dey look them. In February 2022 we go count scores

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: FACTCHECK: Was Kwara Governor Chased Away By Decamping APC Members? by Addme: 1:09pm On Aug 09, 2022
Seun , mynd44 OAM4J , lalasticlala
I think their should be balancing in the report.
Re: FACTCHECK: Was Kwara Governor Chased Away By Decamping APC Members? by Afonja2: 1:11pm On Aug 09, 2022
Addme:
Seun , mynd44 OAM4J .
I think their should be balancing in the report.

You dey mind them. They will never push it to the frontpage. I am even expecting them to delete it. The long arm of the law will soon visit you.
Re: FACTCHECK: Was Kwara Governor Chased Away By Decamping APC Members? by Unigrad: 1:16pm On Aug 09, 2022
Afonja2:
I will like to address this post to Seun especially and other members of Nairaland management.

As 2023 elections draw close, there is a need to be circumspect in the types and manners of posts you validate and push to the frontpage of the popular platform.

There is no doubt that most of Nairaland moderators are either sympathisers of Peter Obi or they have been bought over. A quick look at the frontpage will easily reveal this.

Any post that tries to mock Bola Tinubu or APC easily finds its way to the frontpage whereas nearly all the posts about Obi on the frontpage are pro-Labour Party man. However, in their attempt to appear balanced, they push one or two pro-Tinubu posts and the same number of anti-Obi posts to the frontpage. No one is fooled by this.

I understand that Nairaland is a business venture and I have started seen Obi adverts on the platform. This however does not invalidate the fact that a news medium should be fair, objective and unbiased on all issues.

We should not also forget that there is Cybercrime Act 2015 which regulates what is obtainable in Nigeria's cyberspace. Except Nairaland treads softly, it may soon run foul of the act.

The idea that Nairaland is a faceless forum does not give it (and members) the liberty to bully or say anything negative about individuals with no consequence thereof.

We are all aware of the steps being taken by Instagram to check the excesses of Gistlovers Blog on their platform. Instagram has deactivated many accounts of Gistlovers in the past, for running foul of their rules. Nairaland can not be an exception.

If indeed you want to regulate your members and check their excesses (faceless or not), there are many new innovate ways you can employ to do this. I will tell you one.

Members currently register with email address. How about reviewing the registration and membership process to include their Phone Numbers? With this, members will realised that they could be traced if occasion demands and will be responsible with what they post on the platform.

Now, let me specifically address the essence of this post.

Kwara State Governor was allegedly booed and chased away by decamping APC members in the state. I find this post unprofessional and distasteful. I am surprised that moderators were quick to push it to the frontpage despite that it was posted with no reliable source.

1. The post was made by a certain member called Newsgist24 (https://www.nairaland.com/newsgist24/).

This guy has been confirmed to be a sympathiser of Peter Obi.

I expect your moderators to check the antecedents of posters before pushing their posts to the frontpage, especially if it contains no reliable link/source. A quick check on this guy's profile will reveal that all his political posts are anti-APC and pro-Obi. Except your moderators are culpable, this simple task should not be a rocket science to them.

2. A quick factcheck on the video revealed that, that event actually took place about four years ago during the 2019 gubernatorial elections.

One can see from the video (see the link below) that those who booed and chased away the then Gubernatorial candidate of APC (now Kwara State Governor) were not decamping APC members but supporters of Kwara State PDP strongman, Bukola Saraki.

See the full video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQf-T-98xjI

Yesterday, Kwara State Government also released a statement to dispute this, as seen below:

https://www.facebook.com/followkwsg

I hope Seun and Nairaland will do the needful and avoid running foul of the law. I am aware that government is monitoring the activities of the forum with a view to do the needful.

Let us make hay before it is too late.

Seun
Who booed government officials are always tagged as thugs of political opponent.
Very soon, if Nigeria government refuse to change, hunger and suffering will make people to start booing and stoning government looters.
Re: FACTCHECK: Was Kwara Governor Chased Away By Decamping APC Members? by tinsel: 1:18pm On Aug 09, 2022
The only solution to this problem is for all members here to add their mobile phone numbers and it must be mandatory.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FACTCHECK: Was Kwara Governor Chased Away By Decamping APC Members? by Jesusloveyou: 2:50pm On Aug 09, 2022
idiotic pigs of biafra terrorist with their lies

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FACTCHECK: Was Kwara Governor Chased Away By Decamping APC Members? by IgOga(m): 2:54pm On Aug 09, 2022
Seun you will soon destroy your platform....nairaland is now cesspit of fakenews and rumours

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FACTCHECK: Was Kwara Governor Chased Away By Decamping APC Members? by Jesusloveyou: 3:38pm On Aug 09, 2022
Unigrad:

Who booed government officials are always tagged as thugs of political opponent.
Very soon, if Nigeria government refuse to change, hunger and suffering will make people to start booing and stoning government looters.
yeah,
but must idiotic pigs of biafra lie
Re: FACTCHECK: Was Kwara Governor Chased Away By Decamping APC Members? by Fkmodhi: 3:43pm On Aug 09, 2022
See as he deh pain those useless mofos yah the useless governor was booed either real
Or fake o ti to ge.

(1) (Reply)

Over 7000 APC, NNPP Members Defect To PDP In Katsina / Inubu Bows To Orji Uzor Kalu's Mum-who Is She In Igbo Politics / IPOB And Unknown Gunmen Kills Police Today VIDEO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.