Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,678 members, 7,823,915 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:13 PM

Bread Cost: Agbado and Cassava; Why The Nigerian Youth Must Take This Seriously - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Bread Cost: Agbado and Cassava; Why The Nigerian Youth Must Take This Seriously (658 Views)

Agbado (Roasted Corn) In Brazil (Pictures) / How Much Does Your Favorite Bread Cost In Your Area? / Today I Ate Agbado And Cassava For Dinner. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bread Cost: Agbado and Cassava; Why The Nigerian Youth Must Take This Seriously by Draslo(m): 4:11pm On Aug 11, 2022
Politics aside, Corn and Cassava are two major staples that when properly managed can prevent any country from facing famine.

Corn, also known as maize is the most farmed crop in the United States. It accounts for more than 50% of farmed products. Maize and cornmeal (ground dried maize) constitute a staple food in many regions of the world. Maize is used to produce cornstarch, a common ingredient in home cooking and many industrialized food products. Maize starch can be hydrolyzed and enzymatically treated to produce syrups, particularly high fructose corn syrup, a sweetener; and also fermented and distilled to produce grain alcohol. Grain alcohol from maize is traditionally the source of Bourbon whiskey. Corn flour is used to make cornbread and other baked products. Many of us are well accustomed with corn flakes, golden morn and popcorn. Many Nigerians cannot tell you other applications of corn. They use many everyday but don't even realize it. There's a chance you've had corn tortillas if you've eaten quality shawarma or tacos in this part of the world.

A quick look at international statistics on maize will find Nigeria non-existent in fields of science and agriculture and industrialization.

Cassava's case is almost heartbreaking because no country on this planet produces it more than us. When many Nigerians hear cassava, they think garri, they think fufu (assumedly food for the impoverished). They don't want to be associated with it. Cassava is one of the most drought-tolerant crops, can be successfully grown on marginal soils, and gives reasonable yields where many other crops do not grow well.
Cassava can be cooked in many ways. The root of the sweet variety has a delicate flavor and can replace potatoes. It is used in cholent in some households.It can be made into a flour that is used in breads, cakes and cookies.
In many countries, significant research has begun to evaluate the use of cassava as an ethanol biofuel feedstock. Under the Development Plan for Renewable Energy in the Eleventh Five-Year Plan in the People's Republic of China, the target was to increase the production of ethanol fuel from nongrain feedstock to two million tonnes, and that of biodiesel to 200 thousand tonnes by 2010. This is equivalent to the replacement of 10 million tonnes of petroleum. This push for non-grain ethanol was further increased to a goal of 300 million tons of cellulosic and non-grain based ethanol combined by 2020. As a result, cassava (tapioca) chips have gradually become a major source of ethanol production. On 22 December 2007, the largest cassava ethanol fuel production facility was completed in Beihai, with annual output of 200 thousand tons, which would need an average of 1.5 million tons of cassava. In November 2008, China-based Hainan Yedao Group invested US$51.5 million in a new biofuel facility that is expected to produce 120 million litres a year of bioethanol from cassava plants.

We need to diversify our bread production through Agbado and Cassava especially since both can be used to produce flour. The flour Mills sitting at the ports mill more wheat than corn and cassava combined. The wheat is mostly imported. Until about 250-300 years ago, bread has never been a staple for West Africans unlike the Europeans, North Africans, Middle easterners, North and South Americans. Same as South East Asians who noodles are the staples there. (Did you know Indomie is made from wheat flour? Also there are Corn noodles and Cassava noodles made from their respective flours). Today, bread is a major staple in our region and when it becomes unaffordable, we need to do something drastic to avoid famine.

Russia vs Ukraine, China vs Taiwan. Looks like the next decade at least will have major wheat producers in the war zone (America's wheat is the most costly). India, as a result of this is seriously regulating its wheat export so as not to risk famine on its billion plus population.

Dear youth, Agbado and Cassava for the future is deeper than you think.

Pic 1- Agbado bread
Pic 2 - Cassava bread
Pic 3 - Agbado noodles

1 Like

Re: Bread Cost: Agbado and Cassava; Why The Nigerian Youth Must Take This Seriously by mariahAngel(f): 4:26pm On Aug 11, 2022
When you give too much thought to nonsense, they will begin to make sense to you, but it still will not take away the fact that nonsense will remain nonsense!

Dear Nigerian youths, you deserve way more than corn and cassava.
Say No! to mediocre.

3 Likes

Re: Bread Cost: Agbado and Cassava; Why The Nigerian Youth Must Take This Seriously by Draslo(m): 4:28pm On Aug 11, 2022
mariahAngel:
When you give too much thought to nonsense, they will begin to make sense to you, but it will not take away the fact that nonsense will remain nonsense!
This isn't political in any way and has nothing to do with 2023 general elections...which is why I posted it in this section.

Frankly, I'm quite disappointed you think this is nonsense

1 Like

Re: Bread Cost: Agbado and Cassava; Why The Nigerian Youth Must Take This Seriously by mariahAngel(f): 4:36pm On Aug 11, 2022
Draslo:

This isn't political in any way and has nothing to do with 2023 general elections...which is why I posted it in this section.

Frankly, I'm quite disappointed you think this is nonsense

Well, it had a political undertone.

In this dispensation, we have to be politically awake and alert.

1 Like

Re: Bread Cost: Agbado and Cassava; Why The Nigerian Youth Must Take This Seriously by Templee333(m): 4:37pm On Aug 11, 2022
Pls what's ethanol biofuel feedstock?
Re: Bread Cost: Agbado and Cassava; Why The Nigerian Youth Must Take This Seriously by Draslo(m): 4:57pm On Aug 11, 2022
Templee333:
Pls what's ethanol biofuel feedstock?
A biofuel is what it is; fuel made rather quicker from biomass as compared to fossil fuels such as crude oil.
Feedstock is just another word for raw material

Ethanol in it's purest form can be used to power most vehicles and machines with combustion engines.
Re: Bread Cost: Agbado and Cassava; Why The Nigerian Youth Must Take This Seriously by Templee333(m): 5:20pm On Aug 11, 2022
Draslo:

A biofuel is what it is; fuel made rather quicker from biomass as compared to fossil fuels such as crude oil.
Feedstock is just another word for raw material

Ethanol in it's purest form can be used to power most vehicles and machines with combustion engines.
if i understand the above correctly,do u mean that raw materials from cassava could be used to produce fuel for engines?
Re: Bread Cost: Agbado and Cassava; Why The Nigerian Youth Must Take This Seriously by Draslo(m): 6:47pm On Aug 11, 2022
Templee333:

if i understand the above correctly,do u mean that raw materials from cassava could be used to produce fuel for engines?
Exactly
Re: Bread Cost: Agbado and Cassava; Why The Nigerian Youth Must Take This Seriously by Templee333(m): 7:09pm On Aug 11, 2022
Draslo:

Exactly
hum... I think u'll have 2 deliberate more on this,i'm a bit curious.Has it been done b4? How does it look like? Does it remove toxic waste like CO2?
Re: Bread Cost: Agbado and Cassava; Why The Nigerian Youth Must Take This Seriously by Draslo(m): 9:25pm On Aug 11, 2022
Templee333:

hum... I think u'll have 2 deliberate more on this,i'm a bit curious.Has it been done b4? How does it look like? Does it remove toxic waste like CO2?
Type grain and tuber biofuels into Google search bar

(1) (Reply)

How To Make Zobo. / Shark Enery Drink Available 4 Sale / Lose Weight And Fat Belly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.