Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,397 members, 7,815,867 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:48 PM

Breaking News: Hostage Standoff At Beirut Bank Ends With Gunman’s Surrender - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Breaking News: Hostage Standoff At Beirut Bank Ends With Gunman’s Surrender (575 Views)

Israeli Hostage Says She Was Sexually Assaulted And Tortured In Gaza / People Killed By NSCDC Officer In Gombe During Boy’s Brigade Standoff (Graphic) / Armed Robbers Attack Union Bank In Igede Ekiti, Hold Town Hostage. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breaking News: Hostage Standoff At Beirut Bank Ends With Gunman’s Surrender by Enapesunday(m): 5:09pm On Aug 11, 2022
Banks in Lebanon have implemented informal capital controls amid the ongoing economic crisis, effectively freezing savings.

A hostage standoff in which a gunman demanded a Beirut bank let him withdraw his trapped savings has ended with the man’s surrender and no injuries.

Authorities say 42-year-old Bassam al-Sheikh Hussein entered the Federal Bank in Beirut’s bustling Hamra district with a shotgun and a canister of gasoline and threatened to set himself on fire unless he was allowed to take out his money.

After hours of negotiations, he accepted an offer from the bank to receive part of his savings, according to local media and a depositors group that took part in the talks. He then released his hostages and surrendered.

Hussein was holding at least six bank employees hostage, according to an official, who spoke on condition of anonymity in line with regulations earlier on Thursday.

He had fired three warning shots, according to the official. Local media reported he has about $200,000 stuck in the bank.
Re: Breaking News: Hostage Standoff At Beirut Bank Ends With Gunman’s Surrender by MrBrownJay1(m): 5:33pm On Aug 11, 2022
people in Lebanon are suffering, their economy is tanking and now that their money is blocked in the bank, its a matter of time before their money will be devalued and everyone will loose their money (unless they can take it out of the bank and change it into foreign currency before the devaluation).

everybody is now doing this after some dude in January managed to get his $50K from the bank after taking hostages and saying he was gonna blow the bank (he was prosecuted afterwards but he already had his money back so didnt care). the dude named Abdullah Al-Saii is now a local legend.

Re: Breaking News: Hostage Standoff At Beirut Bank Ends With Gunman’s Surrender by Enapesunday(m): 5:37pm On Aug 11, 2022
Bad Economic policy
Re: Breaking News: Hostage Standoff At Beirut Bank Ends With Gunman’s Surrender by Musty112: 6:10pm On Aug 11, 2022
The world economy is in disarray, the severity differs from country to country

1 Like

Re: Breaking News: Hostage Standoff At Beirut Bank Ends With Gunman’s Surrender by RighteousDemon: 10:05pm On Aug 11, 2022
Musty112:

Exactly what Bub u is doing... Devaluing the Naira that ur money in the bank becomes worthless... Clowns
Re: Breaking News: Hostage Standoff At Beirut Bank Ends With Gunman’s Surrender by PerfectStranger(m): 10:11pm On Aug 11, 2022
I pity those who put all their life savings in the bank. Naira is getting useless by the day and I no trust naija.

Them fit wake one morning announce to freeze people’s account grin
Re: Breaking News: Hostage Standoff At Beirut Bank Ends With Gunman’s Surrender by dnawah(m): 7:45am On Aug 12, 2022
Enapesunday:

Banks in Lebanon have implemented informal capital controls amid the ongoing economic crisis, effectively freezing savings.

A hostage standoff in which a gunman demanded a Beirut bank let him withdraw his trapped savings has ended with the man’s surrender and no injuries.

Authorities say 42-year-old Bassam al-Sheikh Hussein entered the Federal Bank in Beirut’s bustling Hamra district with a shotgun and a canister of gasoline and threatened to set himself on fire unless he was allowed to take out his money.

After hours of negotiations, he accepted an offer from the bank to receive part of his savings, according to local media and a depositors group that took part in the talks. He then released his hostages and surrendered.

Hussein was holding at least six bank employees hostage, according to an official, who spoke on condition of anonymity in line with regulations earlier on Thursday.

He had fired three warning shots, according to the official. Local media reported he has about $200,000 stuck in the bank.
IBTC here I come! grin grin my 2millions+ is stock there them dey wait make I reach 50 years.hunger want kill me.
Re: Breaking News: Hostage Standoff At Beirut Bank Ends With Gunman’s Surrender by Enapesunday(m): 8:24am On Aug 12, 2022
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Breaking News: Hostage Standoff At Beirut Bank Ends With Gunman’s Surrender by Enapesunday(m): 10:54pm On Aug 12, 2022
PerfectStranger:
I pity those who put all their life savings in the bank. Naira is getting useless by the day and I no trust naija.

Them fit wake one morning announce to freeze people’s account grin
Re: Breaking News: Hostage Standoff At Beirut Bank Ends With Gunman’s Surrender by Enapesunday(m): 11:37pm On Aug 12, 2022
MrBrownJay1:
people in Lebanon are suffering, their economy is tanking and now that their money is blocked in the bank, its a matter of time before their money will be devalued and everyone will loose their money (unless they can take it out of the bank and change it into foreign currency before the devaluation).

everybody is now doing this after some dude in January managed to get his $50K from the bank after taking hostages and saying he was gonna blow the bank (he was prosecuted afterwards but he already had his money back so didnt care). the dude named Abdullah Al-Saii is now a local legend.
it is true

(1) (Reply)

Jos Religous Crisis: How Being A Footballer Saved My Friend From Being Killed / You Can't Kill Me. - Apostle Johnson Suleman Survives Assasination / UNICAL Issues Alert On Impending Cult War, Kidnapping On Campus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.