Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,327 members, 7,811,965 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:53 AM

Strike: Education Minister To Update Nigerians - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Strike: Education Minister To Update Nigerians (3179 Views)

We Will Go After Holders Of Certificates From Degree Mills – Education Minister / ASUU Strike: Education Minister Walks Out Of Meeting With Students / Students Won’t Write 2020 WAEC – Adamu, Education Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Strike: Education Minister To Update Nigerians by sinkhole: 6:00am On Aug 13, 2022
The minister had on 19 July told President Muhammadu Buhari that he could address the issues “within two to three weeks” if allowed to do so.

Nigeria’s Education Minister, Adamu Adamu, is set to address Nigerians on the lingering industrial crisis rocking the country’s public university system, PREMIUM TIMES can report.

This is coming many days after the expiration of the deadline set by the minister to address the conflicts between the striking university workers’ unions and the Nigerian government.

The new development was confirmed to PREMIUM TIMES on Friday in an exclusive telephone conversation with the Director of Press and Public Relations at the Ministry of Education, Ben Goong.

Minister’s pledge
Mr Adamu had on 19 July told President Muhammadu Buhari that he could address the issues “within two to three weeks” if allowed to do so.

He said this when the concerned ministries, departments and agencies of government met the President to brief him on the status of the negotiations with the striking unions and the efforts to get the affected public universities reopened.

The minister had claimed he had folded his arms all along following an alleged claim by his counterpart at the Ministry of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, that the laws governing labour disputes empower him to be solely responsible for negotiations on behalf of the government.

The President had immediately ordered Mr Ngige to hand off the negotiation with the striking workers and that Mr Adamu should be supported by appropriate individuals and agencies to deploy his magic wand.

However, more than three weeks after the pledge, which was confirmed by the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, via a statement, the affected public universities have remained shut.

In fact, more than a week after the minister’s pledge, the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) 1 August, announced further extension of the then five-month-old strike by four more weeks.

New update
According to Mr Goong, the Minister would address the media at the State House on Thursday, 18 August.

Reacting to PREMIUM TIMES’ invitation extended to the minister to appear on its planned Twitter Spaces scheduled for Wednesday, 17 August, over the unending ASUU strike, Mr Goong said Mr Adamu would also speak to the media on Thursday.

“Yes you can quote me, the honourable minister will address the State House journalists on Thursday, next week,” Mr Goong said.

Asked about the details of the planned briefing, the spokesperson said he only knew that the minister would speak on the university workers’ strike, “among other issues.”

Background
ASUU had on 14 February declared a nationwide strike for initial four weeks to demand better funding for the university system and improved remuneration for its members.

Other unions within the university system- Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities (SSANU), Non-Academic Staff Union of Educational and other Associated Institutions (NASU) and the National Association of Academic Technologists (NAAT) have also at different times declared separate industrial actions.

The unions are demanding the adoption of the replacement of the Integrated Personnel Payroll Information System (IPPIS) currently in use for the payment of their members’ entitlements with those designed by the unions.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/548398-exclusive-strike-education-minister-to-update-nigerians.html

1 Share

Re: Strike: Education Minister To Update Nigerians by sinkhole: 6:03am On Aug 13, 2022
Adamu seems to have performed the miracle o cheesy cheesy
Let us hope that next week will bring smile to everybody's face cool

Adamu will be meeting with ASUU & Co on Tuesday and he will be briefing the general public on Thursday: I think we are guessing what I am guessing? Meanwhile, let us wait for ASUU themselves!

5 Likes

Re: Strike: Education Minister To Update Nigerians by Toneypen247(m): 6:33am On Aug 13, 2022
Which update dem wan give again.

Dem go call am of abi dem no go call am off undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Strike: Education Minister To Update Nigerians by Bluntguy: 6:36am On Aug 13, 2022
With another update the strike will end after Obi is elected.
Re: Strike: Education Minister To Update Nigerians by Emmamay10: 9:11am On Aug 13, 2022
We are more interested in the strike being called off by ASUU and their counterparts in the University system. Of what use is the briefing? For the past 6 months now, both the FG and ASUU have been giving numerous briefings without concrete solutions to the problems.
Re: Strike: Education Minister To Update Nigerians by fernandoc(m): 9:42am On Aug 13, 2022
Adamu will prove if he really works in silence and produces loud results unlike the braggadocios, pompous and Napoleon complex okija diety.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Strike: Education Minister To Update Nigerians by Lastbornbuns: 10:54am On Aug 13, 2022
Thanks for the update.
Re: Strike: Education Minister To Update Nigerians by Sacramento85(m): 1:16pm On Aug 13, 2022
sinkhole:

Adamu will be meeting with ASUU & Co on Tuesday and he will be briefing the general public on Thursday: I think we are guessing what I am guessing? Meanwhile, let us wait for ASUU themselves!

Sinkhole, heard the president approved mouth watering salaries for ASUU members . If so, the Tuesday meeting is just formality. Their UTAS is gaining momentum heard Ippis failed woefully.

ASUU is vindicated at last

1 Like

Re: Strike: Education Minister To Update Nigerians by sinkhole: 1:51pm On Aug 13, 2022
Sacramento85:

Sinkhole, heard the president approved mouth watering salaries for ASUU members . If so, the Tuesday meeting is just formality. Their UTAS is gaining momentum heard Ippis failed woefully.

ASUU is vindicated at last
ASUU is a very formidable union that thrive on facts, my only problem with them is that they seem to still live in stone age! How can a union like them not have website or social media presence, at this age embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Strike: Education Minister To Update Nigerians by BOOKWORMLUX(m): 6:31pm On Aug 13, 2022
sinkhole:
ASUU is a very formidable union that thrive on facts, my only problem with them is that they seem to still live in stone age! How can a union like them not have website or social media presence, at this age embarassed
It's disturbing seriously

They need to have at least a social media page where we'll get information from them directly

A website would also go a long way in keeping track of their struggles
Re: Strike: Education Minister To Update Nigerians by Nobody: 9:29pm On Aug 13, 2022
sinkhole:

Stop this your consistent lies. Most of us here know far more than you kid.
Adamu is not meeting with ASUU next week. And his meeting with the media won’t bring any good news .
Stop fooling around fool
Re: Strike: Education Minister To Update Nigerians by Nobody: 9:30pm On Aug 13, 2022
sinkhole:

Adamu is not meeting with ASUU next week. And his meeting with the media won’t bring any good news .
Stop fooling around f**l
Re: Strike: Education Minister To Update Nigerians by sinkhole: 6:49am On Aug 14, 2022
MyFlair:

Stop fooling around fool
What a surprising comment embarassed
I will respond to you on Friday, if not before! wink

Please Note:
Tuesday meeting (this meeting will most likely not be a public meeting and the discourse there may not be accessible to all, but rumor of what was discussed will always be available) and Thursday briefing will hold.

Nobody says that the meetings must necessarily bring positivity, but we are all praying that it should be positive and from what we could gather, it seems positive. Meanwhile, if the outcome turns negative, then there is nothing anybody can do about it!

We shall see, on or before Friday. Cheers cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Strike: Education Minister To Update Nigerians by Lastbornbuns: 7:00am On Aug 14, 2022
MyFlair:

Stop fooling around fool
Nawa. Why not state what you know instead of insulting somebody? Of what use is your "true" info if you keep it to yourself?

2 Likes

Re: Strike: Education Minister To Update Nigerians by tayewomi(m): 7:39am On Aug 14, 2022
sinkhole:

Please Note:
Tuesday meeting (this meeting will most likely not be a public meeting and the discourse there may not be accessible to all, but rumor of what was discussed will always be available) and Thursday briefing will hold.

Nobody says that the meetings must necessarily bring positivity, but we are all praying that it should be positive and from what we could gather, it seems positive. Meanwhile, if the outcome turns negative, then there is nothing anybody can do about it!

keep up your good works sir God bless you!I'm happy you didn't respond the troll angrily,we all have right to our point of view and expression.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Strike: Education Minister To Update Nigerians by Nobody: 12:05pm On Aug 14, 2022
sinkhole:

Please Note:

Shifting goal post again. Has ASUU and fed govt ever had a secret meeting before ?
Re: Strike: Education Minister To Update Nigerians by slyayok: 9:24pm On Aug 14, 2022
sinkhole:

Please Note:

I thank you sincerely, Sinkhole. Your updates on this platform have been fantastic, and please, do not be discouraged by certain comments here. I am convinced the end to this strike is near.

7 Likes

Re: Strike: Education Minister To Update Nigerians by janvier27(m): 8:36am On Aug 15, 2022
sinkhole:

Please Note:

Sir, I salute your emotional intelligence.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Strike: Education Minister To Update Nigerians by sinkhole: 8:50am On Aug 15, 2022
tayewomi:
keep up your good works sir God bless you!I'm happy you didn't respond the troll angrily,we all have right to our point of view and expression.
Thanks.
His name calling really shocked me, because others had showed contrary opinions before without calling anybody names!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Strike: Education Minister To Update Nigerians by sinkhole: 8:52am On Aug 15, 2022
slyayok:
I thank you sincerely, Sinkhole. Your updates on this platform have been fantastic, and please, do not be discouraged by certain comments here. I am convinced the end to this strike is near.
Thanks.
By the grace of God, this week will be the begining of the end for this traumatizing strike.

2 Likes

Re: Strike: Education Minister To Update Nigerians by sinkhole: 8:52am On Aug 15, 2022
janvier27:

Sir, I salute your emotional intelligence.
Thanks cheesy
Re: Strike: Education Minister To Update Nigerians by Dvdpity: 10:34am On Aug 15, 2022
sinkhole:

Please Note:

Let see. Counting. Today is Monday.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Strike: Education Minister To Update Nigerians by JJuanMiguel: 4:52pm On Aug 15, 2022
MyFlair:

Stop fooling around fool
Can't you state your own opinion without derogatory words?
Re: Strike: Education Minister To Update Nigerians by JJuanMiguel: 4:57pm On Aug 15, 2022
MyFlair:

Shifting goal post again. Has ASUU and fed govt ever had a secret meeting before ?
There has been several informal meetings.
Re: Strike: Education Minister To Update Nigerians by SATANlSTMINION: 7:02pm On Aug 15, 2022
MyFlair:

Stop fooling around fool
who is this fool?
sinkhole please ignore this dumbass
Re: Strike: Education Minister To Update Nigerians by sinkhole: 7:38pm On Aug 15, 2022
SATANlSTMINION:
who is this fool?
grin grin it is strike frustration that is worrying the guy grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Strike: Education Minister To Update Nigerians by Nobody: 9:02pm On Aug 15, 2022
SATANlSTMINION:
who is this fool?
Alright
Re: Strike: Education Minister To Update Nigerians by Nobody: 9:04pm On Aug 15, 2022
sinkhole:
grin grin it is strike frustration that is worrying the guy grin grin
I graduated before you were born. Why I was angry by your post is because you have consistently posted incorrect information here . It is wrong
Re: Strike: Education Minister To Update Nigerians by Honlucas: 9:46pm On Aug 15, 2022
sinkhole ASUU chairman said issue of ippis nd utas have been put to rest ooo

so goodnews go dy tomorrow bah?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Strike: Education Minister To Update Nigerians by tayewomi(m): 9:57pm On Aug 15, 2022
Honlucas:
sinkhole ASUU chairman said issue of ippis nd utas have been put to rest ooo

so goodnews go dy tomorrow bah?
hopefully the strike will be called off this week.My prayer is that they should both agree tommorow.Fg ASUU meets tommorow

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Strike: Education Minister To Update Nigerians by Adonis69: 10:20pm On Aug 15, 2022
ASUU-FGN agreement on UTAS. Over the weekend, Pantami admitted a lot of pitfalls in IPPIS, thus today, Adamu at the instance of the Buhari agreed to drop IPPIS and have adopted UTAS for payment of all the various unions in the university system.

On salary, federal government accepted to double lecturers salaries, that's, 100% increment as against 180% recommended by Briggs committee.

On EAA, the matter is undecided.
On revitalization fund, the matter is undecided.

God will see us through.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Latest On ASUU Strike / [photos] Immense Protest At ATAP POLY Over Non Accreditation Of ND And HND / NYSC Allowance Reduced By 25%

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.