Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,066 members, 7,821,669 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:33 PM

When Using The Word ‘GIFTED’ Is Wrong - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / When Using The Word ‘GIFTED’ Is Wrong (289 Views)

Nigerian Student Shows The Bottle Of Wine His Lecturer Gifted His Team In France / How To Solve Any Quadratic Equation Using The "Almighty" Formula / Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Using The Word ‘GIFTED’ Is Wrong by lilkech(m): 7:46pm On Aug 13, 2022
I’ve searched all the versions of available English dictionaries and never come across the word ‘gifted’ in the context which we Nigerians use it.

If you give someone an object for them to utilize unconditionally as their own then it is called a GIFT.

Eg. I gave her a hand bag as a birthday gift
He dashed me his watch as a gift

When you use the word ‘GIFTED’ it means that an individual is talented or very adept at doing a task or performing an action.

Eg. He is a gifted artist
When you see the way she handles kids you’d know that she’s gifted

The word gift has no past tense which requires the letters ’ED’ to be added to it. Please let’s learn to use this word correctly in future.

1 Like

Re: When Using The Word ‘GIFTED’ Is Wrong by whyteteeth: 9:31pm On Aug 13, 2022
I knew this ever since. Nigerians just like following the crowd to speak the wrong English.
Re: When Using The Word ‘GIFTED’ Is Wrong by Truvelisback(m): 11:28pm On Aug 13, 2022
lilkech:
I’ve searched all the versions of available English dictionaries and never come across the word ‘gifted’ in the context which we Nigerians use it.

If you give someone an object for them to utilize unconditionally as their own then it is called a GIFT.

Eg. I gave her a hand bag as a birthday gift
He dashed me his watch as a gift

When you use the word ‘GIFTED’ it means that an individual is talented or very adept at doing a task or performing an action.

Eg. He is a gifted artist
When you see the way she handles kids you’d know that she’s gifted

The word gift has no past tense which requires the letters ’ED’ to be added to it. Please let’s learn to use this word correctly in future.
Nice one! We learn everyday.
Re: When Using The Word ‘GIFTED’ Is Wrong by Conner44: 1:01pm On Aug 14, 2022
Truvelisback:
Nice one! We learn everyday.

Tomorrow you’d see another post on front page where someone used this gifted word in a wrong way grin

Nairaland mods will rather push that thread to front page than this one.
Re: When Using The Word ‘GIFTED’ Is Wrong by Truvelisback(m): 2:20pm On Aug 14, 2022
Conner44:

Tomorrow you’d see another post on front page where someone used this gifted word in a wrong way grin

Nairaland mods will rather push that thread to front page than this one.
Nairaland Mods do not have that time to be checking correct or incorrect grammars. They are only after meaningful threads. However, they bring to front Page whatever they feel or think is good to be in Front Page. If they don't like u, no matter how meaningful ur thread is, it won't be on front page.

(1) (Reply)

Fresh Updates On ASUU Meeting With The Federal Government / How I Graduated With First Class Despite Writing Jamb Thrice Pretty Lady Narates / Comminique Issued At Nans Jcc Chairmen Meeting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.