Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,939 members, 7,817,750 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:34 PM

What Is The Best Breed Of Goat To Rear In Your Backyard - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / What Is The Best Breed Of Goat To Rear In Your Backyard (890 Views)

This Is How To Put Goat To Sleep - Unbelievable Nigerian Science! / How Long Does It Take To Rear A Snail Jumbo Size For Sell? Speakersden Snail Far / My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Best Breed Of Goat To Rear In Your Backyard by Osifade20(m): 9:42pm On Aug 13, 2022
And how much will it cost to Rear 2-4 goats
Re: What Is The Best Breed Of Goat To Rear In Your Backyard by Natbrowny: 9:56pm On Aug 13, 2022
For ease. Just go for the short african goats.

2months old
Male is about 8-10k
Female is about 10-15k

They eat cassava and yam peels (like 200naira per bowl) go for the sack. Should be like 5k

If u have a field around, u can tie them there to feed.

If u plan on ranching even better

Coz d rate dem dey move goats now. E worry
Re: What Is The Best Breed Of Goat To Rear In Your Backyard by Osifade20(m): 10:00pm On Aug 13, 2022
Ooh thank you very much…Are you talking about this common goat ?

Re: What Is The Best Breed Of Goat To Rear In Your Backyard by Romanoff(f): 10:04pm On Aug 13, 2022
The Dwarf goat.
Re: What Is The Best Breed Of Goat To Rear In Your Backyard by Nobody: 10:10pm On Aug 13, 2022
Osifade20:
Ooh thank you very much…Are you talking about this common goat ?

You sef you be common Human grin
Re: What Is The Best Breed Of Goat To Rear In Your Backyard by Osifade20(m): 10:11pm On Aug 13, 2022
Lol the goat is quite common and I see it almost everywhere..I don’t think it has value
Re: What Is The Best Breed Of Goat To Rear In Your Backyard by Attit: 3:51am On Aug 14, 2022
Osifade20:
Lol the goat is quite common and I see it almost everywhere..I don’t think it has value
Lol.
We absolutely don't value what we have. Those Nigerian Dwarf goats are rated high milk producers for tropics among normal goats. Also, I prefer the cos they are the best and healthiest meat for me as far as I know presently, except I am not aware that small scale local goat farmers too are already using steroids or chemicals to grow them. These breeds are in North America and EU.

If you want to start, bro, start with a good Nigerian breed. You may even buy different Nigerians breeds. You will still sell them off. Use them to learn about goat rearing. This same breed you posted if you feed it well, and you can get free pastures (you may even cultivate plants for it too), you will do well when you want to expand. You wont need to consult any of those hungry consultants around like .......I have 1 million naira...bla bla bla...give me agro investment ideas threads that scammers operate to lure newbies. I used to burst those kind of threads in those days, but when I realised that NL mods are criminals, I backed off.

If you know you are genuine and also not trying to use a coded style to bring forward goat foreign breeds you dont have so you can sell invisible breeds, then, follow the advice you have been given.

Start with Nigerian breeds at your backyard, and get foreign breeds when you have the money and technical ability to maintain them. Going for those foreign breeds when you are still at backyard level is absolutely not wise.

Goodluck!

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Best Breed Of Goat To Rear In Your Backyard by IamAsiri: 4:57am On Aug 14, 2022
Attit:

Lol.
We absolutely don't value what we have. Those Nigerian Dwarf goats are rated high milk producers for tropics among normal goats. Also, I prefer the cos they are the best and healthiest meat for me as far as I know presently, except I am not aware that small scale local goat farmers too are already using steroids or chemicals to grow them. These breeds are in North America and EU.

If you want to start, bro, start with a good Nigerian breed. You may even buy different Nigerians breeds. You will still sell them off. Use them to learn about goat rearing. This same breed you posted if you feed it well, and you can get free pastures (you may even cultivate plants for it too), you will do well when you want to expand. You wont need to consult any of those hungry consultants around like .......I have 1 million naira...bla bla bla...give me agro investment ideas threads that scammers operate to lure newbies. I used to burst those kind of threads in those days, but when I realised that NL mods are criminals, I backed off.

If you know you are genuine and also not trying to use a coded style to bring forward goat foreign breeds you dont have so you can sell invisible breeds, then, follow the advice you have been given.

Start with Nigerian breeds at your backyard, and get foreign breeds when you have the money and technical ability to maintain them. Going for those foreign breeds when you are still at backyard level is absolutely not wise.

Goodluck!

I guess he was talking about acceptability between the northern goats and our very own "common" Nigerian dwarfs grin. Honestly, as someone who bought both Sokoto red northern goats and our own local goats, I will advise you to start with local breeds and learn the ropes before going ahead to get the northern goats if you still want to. Reason is that our own local goats rarely fall ill or get affected by weather and are visibly stronger than the northern goats.

By the way, our common West African dwarfs/Nigerian dwarfs are more rated overseas than here in Nigeria. They are even being sold as expensive pets cheesy.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best Breed Of Goat To Rear In Your Backyard by Osifade20(m): 11:28am On Aug 14, 2022
Attit:

Lol.

Goodluck!
Thank you very much,I learnt a lot from this right here,But What about the financial aspect,Do you any idea or profit I would make with them…I don’t what rear for own consumption,I wish to sell when they are adult…
Re: What Is The Best Breed Of Goat To Rear In Your Backyard by Osifade20(m): 2:06pm On Aug 14, 2022
IamAsiri:

I guess he was talking about acceptability between the northern goats and our very own "common" Nigerian dwarfs grin. Honestly, as someone who bought both Sokoto red northern goats and our own local goats, I will advise you to start with local breeds and learn the ropes before going ahead to get the northern goats if you still want to. Reason is that our own local goats rarely fall ill or get affected by weather and are visibly stronger than the northern goats.

By the way, our common West African dwarfs/Nigerian dwarfs are more rated overseas than here in Nigeria. They are even being sold as expensive pets cheesy.
Thank you

(1) (Reply)

Make Millions Hatching Fingerlings / Yam, Rice, Garri, Ororiginal Honey And Garlic For Sale @good Prices. / Lol.....people Can Be So Wicked. Check Out Dis Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.